• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

Karin is such a cunt with all her buttons man...Folgore lets 1v1 later I really need to get Karin and Sim learned better

I've tried playing Karin in casuals because I legit have a shitload of fun playing her but I just can't seem to make her work. I'm bad so I know my biggest problem is my gameplay but I do "much" better with Cammy.

What exactly is shimmying?

Quickly moving back and forth right in front of your opponent to bait a reaction that you can then whiff punish.

You're basically trying to walk in and out of their range real quickly to try to get them to press buttons.

FluxWaveZ

Definitely better AA (cr mp and WAP), approach options is debatable since Alex can get full screen and destroy projectile zoning when he has meter and/or V-trigger, but Mika has the charged HK, speed overall and some crafty normals like f + mk, cr hp, sweep, etc to close smaller distances.

But Alex has his Air Knee Smash and standing jab as AAs. I guess they might not be as good as Mika's options, though, but that standing jab of his has been a real pain and it's pretty good.

cHaotix8

I'm a fighting game scrub but I'm like 99% shimmying wasn't really a thing in 4, right? I feel like I never heard/saw it until SFV.

A lot of players used it in IV all the time. I think it caught on more in V because most characters can't confirm off a low anymore and teching now forces standing +throw whiff animation. In IV you had to know your opponent was stand teching vs crouch teching and blow it up accordingly.

I've tried playing Karin in casuals because I legit have a shitload of fun playing her but I just can't seem to make her work. I'm bad so I know my biggest problem is my gameplay but I do "much" better with Cammy.

Quickly moving back and forth right in front of your opponent to bait a reaction that you can then whiff punish.

You're basically trying to walk in and out of their range real quickly to try to get them to press buttons.
She has a pretty high execution barrier...but she's solid

Mediking

EX Hooligan scares the shit out of opponents, always throw one at a random time in a match, bonus points for full screen.

Jumping in with HP instead of HK is ridiculously better, it's a game changer to me when I found out how much better the hit box is.

NEVER FUCKING USE CR.HK EVER, that move only exists for Heavy canon spike at the end of a combo and no more.

Cammy can V trigger about 3 times in a match if you pay attention to your gauge enough... or don't get ken combo'd.

If you activate your V trigger over an opponent and they're still pushing buttons on wake up, they some crazy ass motherfuckers.

You can go into a canon spike before Cammy finishes saying spiral arrow on a whiff, good for catching people off guard if they neutral jump.

Cancelling into hooligan from st.hp will be a thing, I will make it a thing.

Here's as much of my Cammy tips and tricks as I'm willing to publicly divulge:

1. Incorporate her j lk, it makes everything else possible.
2. Don't let players ever get away with jumping any closer than 2/3 screen distance away, ever. St hk is probably the best mid range (read: jumping to close distance but just out of attack range) AA in the game, and b mp is even better for jump ins that are in range to land.
3. Throw more than you would with other characters. She doesn't have an overhead, so Jump/low/throw is your mixup.
4. cr hp is excellent but frequently misused. People use it to poke... what? Use it to punish.
5. Crouch block more than you would with other characters. Health is important and it's better to eat the weak overhead or throw damage than to chance taking a big combo or even a knockdown. Also you can blow up cross ups sometimes by crouching.
6. Know your max damage combos and practice them. This is especially important with her.

I think you mean b.mp.

Awesome advice though!

You guys are the best.... I love this community.

Ah, like Infiltration.

I try to do this but I 'm not good enough at dashing and I have too much dead zone in my stick. Hopefully it's more the latter than the former but...

Mediking

Hahah we must be the same guy because I feel the exact same way with Cammy. I'm either bad or okay with other characters but when I play as Cammy and when I'm really feeling her.... man, I'm having SO much fun.

Xeteh

Ah, like Infiltration.

I try to do this but I 'm not good enough at dashing and I have too much dead zone in my stick. Hopefully it's more the latter than the former but...

Cammy is probably the god (or one) of shimmies. Her move speed lets her go in and out so fast. Its hard to do though, the inputs are super easy because you're just moving back and forth but you need to do it against people who are trying to react to you being that close, not throwing shit out just randomly.

Shimmying is a fantastic thing to learn though, you can do it to get in and get a throw or just get a full punish combo.

Hahah we must be the same guy because I feel the exact same way with Cammy. I'm either bad or okay with other characters but when I play as Cammy and when I'm really feeling her.... man, I'm having SO much fun.

I've just put 10x the time in to Cammy than I've put in to the rest of the roster combined. She's been my favorite SF character for a decade but she might not be the right character for me. I make too many mistakes and Cammy's health/stun doesn't allow for that. I know its on me, Cammy is a super strong character but not in my hands.

Cammy is probably the god (or one) of shimmies. Her move speed lets her go in and out so fast. Its hard to do though, the inputs are super easy because you're just moving back and forth but you need to do it against people who are trying to react to you being that close, not throwing shit out just randomly.

Shimmying is a fantastic thing to learn though, you can do it to get in and get a throw or just get a full punish combo.
I see, so it's not so much dashing in and out as it is simply walking within range and back. No way that's happening with Nash. One less thing I need to learn how to do I guess?

Xeteh

I see, so it's not so much dashing in and out as it is simply walking within range and back. No way that's happening with Nash. One less thing I need to learn how to do I guess?

Yeah, its insanely harder to do with Nash/Bison because of how slow they are but they compensate for that with longer throw ranges. Its something you should be aware of but not a thing you absolutely NEED to do.

Mediking

I've just put 10x the time in to Cammy than I've put in to the rest of the roster combined. She's been my favorite SF character for a decade but she might not be the right character for me. I make too many mistakes and Cammy's health/stun doesn't allow for that. I know its on me, Cammy is a super strong character but not in my hands.

Hahahahaha its true!!! We're the same guy!!! You just described how I feel about Cammy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xeteh

Lowest health in the game combined with just frame Tenko being the catalyst for 90% of her best offensive combos took me away from her. She's awesome, but she's so technical.

It doesn't help that just frame tenko is harder to combo. If you cancel a normal in to her dash and plink the punch for the tenko it won't come out unless you delay the cancel until later. Its the reason I had SO much trouble with Karin's 6th trial. After beating my big dumb head against the wall for like 3 hours and finally getting, VesperArcade posted his video to help people out and pointed out you had to delay the cancel. I would have finished that trial so much earlier.

That sounds like total gibberish. My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGyhH_DdXgE the video I mentioned. He explains it better.

sixghost

When you do the shimmy, are you supposed to be reacting to the whiffed throw, or do you just throw out the normal no matter what?

Xeteh

When you do the shimmy, are you supposed to be reacting to the whiffed throw, or do you just throw out the normal no matter what?

You're reacting. You shimmy and want to see some sort of reaction. I've seen people shimmy and when they move back in will throw but ideally you want to see your opponent press something and react accordingly.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm a lot better about talking than I am playing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You're reacting. You shimmy and want to see some sort of reaction. I've seen people shimmy and when they move back in will throw but ideally you want to see your opponent press something and react accordingly.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm a lot better about talking than I am playing.

*idealy* you're fishing with a button that is either confirmable or buffering into something from a button that will only connect as a whiff punish.

FluxWaveZ

gotta 1v1 man..sitting here waiting for a match makes me play kinda on tilt cuz I know if I lose, I'm waiting for 20 minutes for a rematch. Lol...I'm done for the night...next time just gonna do a 3 man room, this wait is too long with best of 3

Yeah, I guess there's something psychological about multi-man lobbies (knowing people are spectating is part of it), but man does it suck to get so close only to be so far.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Omni. Either we're growing at the same rate, or we're both not growing at all because our matches are always so close and tense, heh. I like to think it's the former.

Yea it was pretty spotty...but I'm done for the night anyway. Playing frustrated now, so no reason to continue.

Yea GGs everyone. Folgore lets 1v1 soon so I can learn how to beat Karin. Really felt disadvantaged against her, u got the W every close match lol.

Flux were definitely getting better. Just look at how u play in the beginning of our sets versus when I stuff that nonsense lol. U start actually playing footsies and shimmy and baiting stuff. But you do go on auto pilot if I let you own me in the corner. That's from playing ranked.

Skilletor

Yea it was pretty spotty...but I'm done for the night anyway. Playing frustrated now, so no reason to continue.

Yea GGs everyone. Folgore lets 1v1 soon so I can learn how to beat Karin. Really felt disadvantaged against her, u got the W every close match lol.

Flux were definitely getting better. Just look at how u play in the beginning of our sets versus when I stuff that nonsense lol. U start actually playing footsies and shimmy and baiting stuff. But you do go on auto pilot if I let you own me in the corner. That's from playing ranked.

Aw, I just got home. Lol. Some other night!

I can't fight Ryu to save my life. Anyone got any advice as a Laura main in that mu besides V-Reversal everything and pray?

laura is among the worst characters in the game IMO, just fyi. avoid using her overhead somersault kick as its easily punishable for high damage. also dont just throw up her energy shield at medium distances as you will get jump punished. her dashing elbow(not punishable on block) into normal into dashing elbow into normal can draw out a dragon punch so mix in blocks with that string and punish. use her energy shield after knock downs and mix in throws, cross ups etc. she also has a tricky crossup combo using her energy shield as a juggle that can draw out dragon punches. her and ryu both have shitty normals with shitty range so they mostly just trade in that aspect. when being pressured by ryu always just crouch block and keep your fingers ready to tech throw. ryu has no good way to break it since his overhead is absolute garbage. it has the most distinct, telegraphed animation in the entire game and you have like a second to just throw him out of it. thats for any character actually. always just crouch guard v ryu and be ready to throw and he cant hurt you.

Xeteh

Man, I reaaaally want to be able to spectate lobbies. I'm not willing to take a spot to watch but GAF has some amazing SFV players. It would be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom