• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ, cHaotix8, this is impossible. One small mistake and I'm dead, and you have the defense of a robot. I can't break through, though I'm trying my 100% (or at least my 90% 'cause I've been playing all day) and it just isn't working. I'm at such a freaking loss as to what to do... it's not even quite MU knowledge, but you're just a player who's on another level than I am.

Maybe it's just not the kind of skill I can develop only by playing online...

GGs, though. I think you're the best player in our community right now by far.
Awwwwww yeah...we gonna have some competition now baby...

He's stronger than Moradin?

FluxWaveZ

GG's Flux. Thanks for the praise, but I'm sure there's people in here around or past my skill level, they just don't post much lol.

Yeah, Karin can take advantages of mistakes hard so you really have to be on point against her. One thing I notice you're not taking advantage of are the blocked Tenkos. Those are -10, so anytime I guess wrong on a cr MK or drop a combo you should get a free clap combo or command throw guaranteed. The recovery frames are kind of weird though so you should practice it in training mode to get it down.

I dunno man, I feel like I'm aware of a lot of the players here and what their approximate skill levels are, and I'm still pretty confident when I say the way you play is unlike anyone here. It's pretty incredible.

And yeah, after our set yesterday, I should have gone to Training mode and see exactly how to punish Karin's stuff. Her mix-ups feel so ambiguous sometimes, but that's probably just unfamiliarity. I started punishing her back lunge move more with command throws, so there was that.

Awwwwww yeah...we gonna have some competition now baby...

He's stronger than Moradin?

It's been a while since I've faced him, but absolutely. It's all relative, but there's something about how Chaotix plays where he's just ahead of us, and it perfectly fits with how precise Karin is. I need to get better.

Xeteh

I dunno man, I feel like I'm aware of a lot of the players here and what their approximate skill levels are, and I'm still pretty confident when I say the way you play is unlike anyone here. It's pretty incredible.

And yeah, after our set yesterday, I should have gone to Training mode and see exactly how to punish Karin's stuff. Her mix-ups feel so ambiguous sometimes, but that's probably just unfamiliarity. I started punishing her back lunge move more with command throws, so there was that.

It's been a while since I've faced him, but absolutely. It's all relative, but there's something about how Chaotix plays where he's just ahead of us, and it perfectly fits with how precise Karin is. I need to get better.

What's chaotix8's CFN? I love Karin play, I wanna stalk him on CFN if he's solid.

Edit: RIP, got DC'd from the lounge.

lol flux you're never going to beat him if you view his Karin as an un-reachable mountain. Learn the match and I'm sure you'll take more sets. Mika can pretty much kill you with one mistake even more so than Karin.

But yeah, he's really tough and uses karins buttons well. Hard to get in, I might have to just rush him down and play him like bison.

Skilletor

GGs shadowlord GGs Skilltor, dunno why we got d/ced there at the end lol.

I was posting in the wrong thread, lol. I got DC'ed from server.

The round I wasn't doing anything, my cat pressing in the shoulder button of my DS4 and my kicks weren't working on my stick.

Sorry about that, man. Definitely need to get more games in! Help me level up. Sick shit with the c.hp on my spin knuckle every time.

FluxWaveZ

lol flux you're never going to beat him if you view his Karin as an un-reachable mountain. Learn the match and I'm sure you'll take more sets. Mika can pretty much kill you with one mistake even more so than Karin.

But yeah, he's really tough and uses karins buttons well. Hard to get in, I might have to just rush him down and play him like bison.

Hell no, Karin—the character—isn't the problem here, Chaotix himself is. It's the player and not the MU, like I said before; especially since every single other Karin I've faced has been manageable and it's Chaotix who's been the only nightmare. And I definitely plan on reaching his level eventually... well, I'll try.

What's chaotix8's CFN? I love Karin play, I wanna stalk him on CFN if he's solid.

Edit: RIP, got DC'd from the lounge.

It's TheIronFolgore.

Hell no, Karin—the character—isn't the problem here, Chaotix himself is. It's the player and not the MU, like I said before; especially since every single other Karin I've faced has been manageable and it's Chaotix who's been the only nightmare. And I definitely plan on reaching his level eventually... well, I'll try.

It's TheIronFolgore.
no doubt he's strong, but I think you play too much rank man lol. There's really a ton of crazy good players who don't touch that mode. Next time I'm with my group I'll invite you. Ran into a 10k bison, trashed him because he has like no defense and pressed buttons on wakeup all the time. Offline, that really doesn't happen, you have to show people more respect or you'll get blown up.

On top of this, we're playing network which messes up meaties, AA reaction, dashes, and of course dropped combos. I don't think playing people online in is a very accurate way to guage skill levels. Unless the sets feel very close to offline mode, you are going to be a weaker version of yourself in that environment.

Don't get me wrong, not taking anything away fro chaox he's crazy good. But if you really want to up your game, I advise you to go to local tournaments, play in more sets, and play offline a lot. You might surprise yourself.

Xeteh

It's TheIronFolgore.

Thanks Flux, I'm still creepily stalking your CFN too. Just to let you know.

no doubt he's strong, but I think you play too much rank man lol. There's really a ton of crazy good players who don't touch that mode. Next time I'm with my group I'll invite you. Ran into a 10k bison, trashed him because he has like no defense and pressed buttons on wakeup all the time. Offline, that really doesn't happen, you have to show people more respect or you'll get blown up.

This has a lot of merit behind it. Ever since I started hosting lounges I've been running into a ton of 0LP players who absolutely gave me a huge run for my money sometimes, and outright ripped me a new one other times.

FluxWaveZ

On top of this, we're playing network which messes up meaties, AA reaction, dashes, and of course dropped combos. I don't think playing people online in is a very accurate way to guage skill levels. Unless the sets feel very close to offline mode, you are going to be a weaker version of yourself in that environment.

Don't get me wrong, not taking anything away fro chaox he's crazy good. But if you really want to up your game, I advise you to go to local tournaments, play in more sets, and play offline a lot. You might surprise yourself.

I don't really have any local scene where I live, so all I have is online. Like I've said before, I wish I did since that'd be a way for me to get way better than I am now, and faster too.

Thanks Flux, I'm still creepily stalking your CFN too. Just to let you know.

Ha, good to know... I think.

ACE 1991

Man, there's just something about this game. I keep losing and I'm not getting any better but I keep playing. Forever bronze. Seems like I just leave too much damage on the table. I have a big problem executing combos when an opponent is open... A biiig problem.

This has a lot of merit behind it. Ever since I started hosting lounges I've been running into a ton of 0LP players who absolutely gave me a huge run for my money sometimes, and outright ripped me a new one other times.
Yup...it's about adapting to the set, and really outplaying your opponent. When playing ranked, u can sometimes get the best of anyone in a quick set. And there's characters that are noob killers and IMO easier to rank up with. Bison is plus after everything, and what do weaker players like doing? Pressing buttons lol.

Have to get that offline work in but sets are the next best thing no doubt. Run into Chris T, I think he's like gold or something. Lol, he will body u like nobody's business, but his rank doesn't reflect his skill level. I think rank likely developed in you some bad habits if I don't do sets along with it.

Xeteh

Ha, good to know... I think.

All joking aside, I love that you're a really strong player that is still looking for advice to improve your game. As someone on the outside looking in its really cool to see someone vocalize their faults and look for help.

SephLuis

So what do u guys want to do tomorrow? A big room? Or smaller personal 1v1 rooms or 3 players sets?

Big Room with FT1. Or we can create multiple rooms depending on the player count.

Which hours you plan to play tomorrow and at which timezone ? I really would like to participate.

Man, there's just something about this game. I keep losing and I'm not getting any better but I keep playing. Forever bronze. Seems like I just leave too much damage on the table. I have a big problem executing combos when an opponent is open... A biiig problem.
Keep at it man, you'll get there. I never thought i would make it to silver and would be stuck in the ultra-bronze or super-bronze range forever. I don't know who your main is but i say put a lot of in time training mode and work on the execution. Sometimes i will start the game and not even touch online, just stay in training mode and practice combos and execution. I would also recommend watching high level play of whoever your main is.

Bizazedo

GGs shadowlord GGs Skilltor, dunno why we got d/ced there at the end lol.

Cuz Capcom..!!!

Keep me in mind if any of you guys get bored, please :).

Edgeward, good games! Two quick suggestions, though.

1). Use your meter. You're excellent at baiting me to get CA'd, but the rest of the match you're at a disadvantage because you're not using your meter. Same with your V-skill.

2). I'm Bison and you don't have an invincible reversal. You have to attack me. Trust me, Bison's Defense is ass :).

Edgeward

Cuz Capcom..!!!

Keep me in mind if any of you guys get bored, please :).

Edgeward, good games! Two quick suggestions, though.

1). Use your meter. You're excellent at baiting me to get CA'd, but the rest of the match you're at a disadvantage because you're not using your meter. Same with your V-skill.

2). I'm Bison and you don't have an invincible reversal. You have to attack me. Trust me, Bison's Defense is ass :).

GGs.

I'll it in mind but I didn't have much opportunity to use meter since I couldn't punish the sweeps and the pushback on the attacks limit what I can do,

Easy to say when you are able to tech my throws and throw out ex stomp get out. Plus missing the meaties really messed with me.

Bizazedo

GGs.

I'll it in mind but I didn't have much opportunity to use meter since I couldn't punish the sweeps and the pushback on the attacks limit what I can do,

Easy to say when you are able to tech my throws and throw out ex stomp get out. Plus missing the meaties really messed with me.

Yes, once I'm on you, it can be a bitch since you have no invincible reversal. You noticed some of my patterns and escaped the corner (awesome job, btw), but believe me, I get it concerning his attacks. I more mean in the neutral. You usually let me initiate the fight and get in on you, giving that very advantage to Bison.

I'm not as familiar with Vega as I should be, but EX roll is safe on block, right? You could use that to get in. Bison's normals are devastating after they're blocked. Yours are faster on start-up.

i.e., you can't let me dictate the match.

You also stuffed a bunch of ex-stomps when close in. It's projectile invulnerable, but barely (not really) invincible to anything else :).

My own slide is HIGHLY punishable if I mistime the range and essentially unuseable if you're pressing me / not letting me gauge the range to make it safe as well.

cHaotix8

Flux, I definitely want to echo the rest in saying that playing offline with other people where you can get direct feedback is one of the fastest ways to get better. It's also pretty humbling because you get to see just how much larger and stronger the offline world is. The game is still in it's infancy. Ranked matches and LP only count for so much at this point.

That said, the most crucial aspect to winning in fighting games is problem solving, and I could tell you were doing that a lot during our matches, especially in your approach in the neutral. You have a good attitude towards the game, and I think you'll continue to improve regardless if you ever join a local scene.

Yes, once I'm on you, it can be a bitch since you have no invincible reversal. You noticed some of my patterns and escaped the corner (awesome job, btw), but believe me, I get it concerning his attacks. I more mean in the neutral. You usually let me initiate the fight and get in on you, giving that very advantage to Bison.

I'm not as familiar with Vega as I should be, but EX roll is safe on block, right? You could use that to get in. Bison's normals are devastating after they're blocked. Yours are faster on start-up.

You also stuffed a bunch of ex-stomps when close in. It's projectile invulnerable, but barely (not really) invincible to anything else :).

My own slide is HIGHLY punishable if I mistime the range and essentially unuseable if you're pressing me / not letting me gauge the range to make it safe as well.

Vega ex roll is safe on block, non-ex isnt. Vega should be rushing down bison hard with his speed, awesome normals and versatility

You're right. I just need to lab it out better and learn how to watch for it on reaction. I appreciate the advice.

Just jeep your fingers right on the buttons waiting for it. Once you get it down ryu is completely unable to hurt you on getup. In the worst case scenario you get hit by his overhead(but you have even more time to throw him if you see his overhead animation. Its ungodly slow), but that does insignificant damage and even on a hit the only move he can follow up with and have priority is a dragon punch which is a massive risk for some more miniscule damage

Bizazedo

Vega ex roll is safe on block, non-ex isnt. Vega should be rushing down bison hard with his speed, awesome normals and versatility

Agreed, s'why I'm saying that to Edge :). He has a solid, very defensive Vega.....which against Bison just invites Dictator to rush him down til he makes a mistake. Vega can really take it to Bison, though.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about ex Roll. I THOUGHT it was safe, but haven't really fought a lot of Vegas recently.

Edgeward

Yea, it's just a matter of knowing the animation because it's less obvious than SF4 when to punish. It's such a faster game that you have to have it ingrained in you to be effective in high levels.

And ex roll is -2 so it isn't meant as a great way to create safe pressure. Since I could get thrown because of the minimal pushback especially against you.

Throw ranges in this game fucking obscene.

And I don't get how I land from a jump and get CC even if I go for my fastest attack. These timings are still funky to me same with meaties.

But I will need to look at his data more.

Agreed, s'why I'm saying that to Edge :). He has a solid, very defensive Vega.....which against Bison just invites Dictator to rush him down til he makes a mistake. Vega can really take it to Bison, though.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about ex Roll. I THOUGHT it was safe, but haven't really fought a lot of Vegas recently.

For reference its -2. Its atleast your turn for the most part.

Dimmle

Guys, I love playing Street Fighter casually with friends but I'm so bad at the challenge trials. I feel like I'm coming to grips with my mortality every time I spent twenty minutes failing to hammer out a combo fast enough. Is there any trick to pulling off a QCF fast enough for it to register in a combo? Is the secret just "do it faster"? >:

Guys, I love playing Street Fighter casually with friends but I'm so bad at the challenge trials. I feel like I'm coming to grips with my mortality every time I spent twenty minutes failing to hammer out a combo fast enough. Is there any trick to pulling off a QCF fast enough for it to register in a combo? Is the secret just "do it faster"? >:

You buffer the special, which is basically start doing it before the move comes up. For example if you need to do crouching medium kick into hadouken, the down from down+ mk is part of the down motion you need to do the fireball. So basically after hitting the crouch medium kick, you just roll to forward to complete the fireball. What combo specifically is giving you trouble?

SmokeMaxX

So SF5 at EVO is over 4,000 entrants.

And the Tournament is still 3 days.
Eh, it just depends on the number of setups. You could run it in one day with enough setups. Generally speaking evo designates (or used to anyway, haven't been in a few years) two hours per two setups per 16 people.

I dunno...even Infiltration could randomly drown in pools that huge.

I seriously wonder who's going to make it out of there alive.

Winning EVO this year is tantamount to winning 2-3 majors.

Xeteh

Goddamn, everyone who bought the game is going to be there!

And they're going to give Infiltration their money!

I know you're being sarcastic but considering how little this game sold the idea of everyone showing up at Evo made me laugh way too hard.

mbpm1

I know you're being sarcastic but considering how little this game sold the idea of everyone showing up at Evo made me laugh way too hard.

And it's not even a new joke at this point lol

Still, I hope the field catchs up to Infil by that point. We've already gotten a bunch of close calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom