• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

What is a simple BnB for Balrog that I can use for survival?
Standing heavy kick > crouchingg medium punch and canceled into one of his specials should get you far. Stand jab > standing medium punch into specials work well at point blank range. Crouching light kick > crouching light punch into light rush punch is good too.

Zerojul

I honestly wonder why I'm having a smooth online experience with the game even after the last patch when it seems to be a total wreck according to a lot of players here and in our weekly "SFV is a mess" thread. I did nothing special outside of the basic DMZ/port forwarding thing and I'm in EU which is supposed to be one of the worst place to be when it comes to SFV online. Sheer luck I guess.

j.HK st.HK cr.MP Dash Punch. Can confirm into super if you have the meter.

Got me through normal at least.
Yeah doing this right now and it works like a charm so far.

KingBroly

Banned
I hate Combos that rely 100% on timing and if the game decides to do what it's properly supposed to. Balrog's 10th Trial is frustrating as hell. Sometimes he won't juggle. Sometimes the Charge Punch won't come out. Sometimes it'll come out too early and whiff. This shit, man.

Pompadour

I hate Combos that rely 100% on timing and if the game decides to do what it's properly supposed to. Balrog's 10th Trial is frustrating as hell. Sometimes he won't juggle. Sometimes the Charge Punch won't come out. Sometimes it'll come out too early and whiff. This shit, man.

That's the annoying thing about charge specials. You can lose the charge by pushing forward at the very tail end of a move animation. That one took me a while to get the hang of.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You won't even take responsibility for doing combos right, huh?

"wahhh the game is not fair"

No wonder you're so mad at Capcom for your decision to buy the game without knowing its content first.

JayEH

I had this problem too but once you get the first juggle it's really easy. Just practice the TAP juggle after that you have a plenty of time to input the dash punch then just mash.
I start charging for both the dash punch and tap as soon as I hit v trigger. Then I walk back a brief moment release tap, then you wait for the tap to actually hit then a then dash punch mash super.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So what are you actually complaining about? That the combo is too hard?

vg260

Coming from doing the combo trials in Xrd Revelator, these were so refreshing. Some are tricky, but all pretty doable with some effort. 10 is a good number without going crazy considering you don't get any fight money unless you clear them all.

Xeteh

j.HK st.HK cr.MP Dash Punch. Can confirm into super if you have the meter.

Got me through normal at least.

Standing heavy kick > crouchingg medium punch and canceled into one of his specials should get you far. Stand jab > standing medium punch into specials work well at point blank range. Crouching light kick > crouching light punch into light rush punch is good too.

Yep, that did it. Beat normal on the first try with him. Thanks!

I dunno if I missed it but is there a hi-res shot of the beach stage with no playable characters or HUD yet?

I think Garrett is still working on it. I'm also digging the constant updates to your avatar lol

Wait...what are you saying exactly? I don't think I'm following.

Edit: bolded for clarity

What do you mean "if the game decides"?

Skilletor

If the combo's not working, you're doing something wrong.

Period.

It's not randomly deciding to do something right. The game isn't randomly deciding that it will work this time and not another time. You are doing something wrong. Your timing is off. All combos 100% rely on timing. That's why they're combos. The timing might be more lenient on one juggle or combo, but it's all still timing. Stop bitching and blaming the game and realize that you're doing something wrong. Because that's what it is.

It's you.

We da Juri boyz haha. I think I found the one I like now haha.
I'd change my avatar to something Birdie related but I've had this one for so long, it's practically part of my identity on this site.

And it's particularly funny because the Dota 2 hero that is my avatar is a hero I don't even enjoy.

Xeteh

I'd change my avatar to something Birdie related but I've had this one for so long, it's practically part of my identity on this site.

And it's particularly funny because the Dota 2 hero that is my avatar is a hero I don't even enjoy.

Pudge is just tired of all the bullshit.

Have like one person I'm able to practice this game with besides randoms and nowhere close to an offline scene. I may be new here but if anyone wants someone new to practice against and run sets, I play Zangief and a little Necalli

Fighter tag is johnkerry69

Kalentan

On a win streak with Ibuki. So good.

Although I think I have come to a realization I've sort of known for a while. I'm like... sort of a button masher. Why I say: "sort of", because I will use specific moves at times I want to while other times I'll get lucky and pull off something I didn't actually intend to do.

Pudge is just tired of all the bullshit.

Overwatch coming in, taking all his thunder. Now's he's no longer the most popular fat hooker.

Oh who am I kidding, he'll always be the most popular fat hooker.
On a win streak with Ibuki. So good.

Although I think I have come to a realization I've sort of known for a while. I'm like... sort of a button masher. Why I say: "sort of", because I will use specific moves at times I want to while other times I'll get lucky and pull off something I didn't actually intend to do.
You know, that's partly why I'm not a fan of ranked only matching people up only with the same leagued players. You don't learn if you don't fight better players that know how to handle your tactics.

You should crop out his face here and use that :p
birdie_super.jpg

Pompadour

So I think Urien's unfinished CA is proof that Juri will have more than a lame CA fireball. It has to be missing an animation too..?

Not necessarily. Projectile CAs are less animation work because you don't even have to do hitstun animation for the opponent, they just use their own. Capcom could be saving time and money on the DLC characters this way.

Typically, these type of CAs have longer start up animation during the freeze and Juri's is pretty long, so ...

BlizzKrut

Banned
So is there a way I can try out Urien in training mode without messing with my current game files? Like downloading a separate game version strictly offline?

pHand

My suggestion is to practice the timing of the first three parts until you're consistently juggling him with the Turn Punch. Hold down-back from the start, and never let go until it's time for the Dash Straight. Make sure to start charging the Turn Punch as soon as you use the V Trigger (I prefer to use the 3K button), and release as Ryu hits the peak of his flight.

The trickiest part for me is between the Turn Punch and the Dash Straight. You actually have to wait a split second before pushing forward and lp. The problem for me is that my brain kept wanting to do it as soon as I let go for the Turn Punch.

Pompadour

Here's a (rough) video here that shows you can get SF3 Urien by doing his critical art or something (it's hard to tell what's actually going on here):

https://youtu.be/ViHnU4L7G4U

It looks like his CA is supposed to be his flame pillar winpose (except with electricity/evil which makes more sense than Urien controlling fire) so it makes sense he'd lose the suit. The camera pans seem like the CA will be cinematic instead of like Balrog's.

My suggestion is to practice the timing of the first three parts until you're consistently juggling him with the Turn Punch. Hold down-back from the start, and never let go until it's time for the Dash Straight. Make sure to start charging the Turn Punch as soon as you use the V Trigger (I prefer to use the 3K button), and release as Ryu hits the peak of his flight.

The trickiest part for me is between the Turn Punch and the Dash Straight. You actually have to wait a split second before pushing forward and lp. The problem for me is that my brain kept wanting to do it as soon as I let go for the Turn Punch.

Yeah, you can't just mash out the commands as fast as possible for this combo. The two tricky parts are the TAP after VT and the dash punch after the TAP. The rest you can mash out somewhat.

I waited after the VT freeze to see Ryu sailing upwards before releasing TAP. I also waited to see the TAP to hit before doing the dash punch, you can't cancel the TAP into dash punch. You have to do it without canceling and just juggle it.

Xeteh

So I think Urien's unfinished CA is proof that Juri will have more than a lame CA fireball. It has to be missing an animation too..?

It is likely... I'm still unsure about her moveset though. She's missing so much of what she had in SF4. For instance her m.k/h.k fireballs have been replaced by other moves entirely. People keep commenting that she's unfinished, things could change but it seems weird for them to be working on her moveset and then just give her different mechanics for the story mode when Urien has several of his old ones.

I hope she's fun when she's finished but I'm bummed at how different she seems to be.

Coda

It is likely... I'm still unsure about her moveset though. She's missing so much of what she had in SF4. For instance her m.k/h.k fireballs have been replaced by other moves entirely. People keep commenting that she's unfinished, things could change but it seems weird for them to be working on her moveset and then just give her different mechanics for the story mode when Urien has several of his old ones.

I hope she's fun when she's finished but I'm bummed at how different she seems to be.

She honestly seems pretty finished to me, just really different. I think her strong normals are a big part of her game, it's why she only has 3 special moves. She had strong normals in IV but they were less of a focus in that game compared to SF V.

Xeteh

She honestly seems pretty finished to me, just really different. I think her strong normals are a big part of her game, it's why she only has 3 special moves. She had strong normals in IV but they were less of a focus in that game compared to SF V.

I'm too lazy to spend too much time in the story mode messing around with her while having to reset through defeat so I haven't spent much time playing her. I just hope the storing specials is as much fun as storing fireballs was.

jett

D-Member
Well this game just keeps booting me when I try to log in (2100d error). I'd rather have no story mode of any sort if this is the side effect. What the hell's wrong with Capcom?

Coda

I'm too lazy to spend too much time in the story mode messing around with her while having to reset through defeat so I haven't spent much time playing her. I just hope the storing specials is as much fun as storing fireballs was.

Same after a while I got annoyed having to wait to be killed over and over. Would love to have the game on PC so I could just lab with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom