• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

Speaking of tiers, I've never understood why Gief was considered low tier. He consistently out pokes me, parries with flex into SPD constantly, and then once you're down 50% he just dashes up or empty jumps into an instant super. Oh, and don't even get me started on how BS his V-Trigger feels.

He is really bad against chars with good normals. Only cr lp is really really good but it doesn't combo into anything or at least into anything good. The loss of green hand makes it hard for him to apply pressure after SPD. And lariat no longer being a gdlk AA removes anotehr knockdown option. Like any char he does well against some chars that rely on up close but when it's a bad matchup it's really bad since the opponent can usually get away and keep him out.

V trigger suction is tricky. If you block the suction, then it makes no hit sound/cue that means he is -6 so mash throw. If you block it then you will be pushed away.

The God

How many of the trial combos are just trials vs practical combos to use in a match? ( I guess it depends on the character but in this case I'm asking about Nash)

Edgeward

How many of the trial combos are just trials vs practical combos to use in a match? ( I guess it depends on the character but in this case I'm asking about Nash)

Most in general are just trials. There are far easier combos and similar damage than the ones put in trials.

Looking at it, trial 3, 5, 6, 7 and maybe 10 (?) are good to use and practice.

I remember getting into arguments with people about how he wasn't terrible. Good times.

Speaking of tiers, I've never understood why Gief was considered low tier. He consistently out pokes me, parries with flex into SPD constantly, and then once you're down 50% he just dashes up or empty jumps into an instant super. Oh, and don't even get me started on how BS his V-Trigger feels.

Gief isn't bad but he has the hardest mus in the game which is why he's considered low tier.

There are a few that are practical, but you're better off watching top Nash players and seeing what combos they do depending on the situation/meter.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK :'( I ordered the Season Pass and put it on my brother's PSN account because we usually buy all the stuff on his, and now I have none of the characters on my account. I didn't realize this would happen.

I made a terrible mistake and meant to post it in this thread and not in the Story Mode thread. Just a heads up to everyone on the above :'(

I didn't realize DLC worked like this because I don't usually get it.

Are you sharing the same PS4 with a profile for each of you?
If you activate the PS4 as "primary" while logged into his account, that might do the trick.
It's easily reversible, too. (You can switch primary console as many times as you like, as long as you deactivate from the current profile first.)

Edzi

Of all the characters in the game, I think Ryu is the one in most need of major nerfs. It's not enough to just buff characters up to match him, because I think there's a legit problem with the way he's built. He has zero weaknesses, mostly safe buttons, a 3 frame jab that acts as a perfect AA defense, an air lk that beats out most ground normals and acts as a crossup, crazy damage, a fireball, a parry, and an invincible DP. All this combines to make his optimal gameplan crazy rushdown, which doesn't seem fitting for the character.

Of all the characters in the game, I think Ryu is the one in most need of major nerfs. It's not enough to just buff characters up to match him, because I think there's a legit problem with the way he's built. He has zero weaknesses, mostly safe buttons, a 3 frame jab that acts as a perfect AA defense, an air lk that beats out most ground normals and acts as a crossup, crazy damage, a fireball, a parry, and an invincible DP. All this combines to make his optimal gameplan crazy rushdown, which doesn't seem fitting for the character.

Someone here said it best. Capcom made him a jack of all trades, but they forgot to make him a master of none.

Grisby

Man, forgot how smooth the fighting is in SF5. Getting destroyed online pretty bad though.

My Cammy's got no game.
You can quit anytime, everything is divided into acts and chapters within those acts. You lose at the most like 2-3 minutes of progress.

Quitting won't affect your FM, I believe only skipping the battles affects FM. You can even skip the cutscenes.
Thanks buddy.

I have a feeling the recurring theme will be that Ibuki will get her ass kicked for most of the match, then win in 5 seconds using V-Trigger and meter.

Skab

Thing is, how would you nerf him in a way that doesnt neuter him completely?

Fuck Ryu and Ken in this game. Their damage output is insane and done in simple combos.

I've been learning some vtrigger stuff but it makes me overthink it right now... and I think you might be the only one that likes her battle costume lol
I really like her color alts, really makes her look really different too and doesn't seem lazy like Alex's alts.

So...is the dlc available on steam for purchase? I wanted to buy the new stages but every time I click on the steam button it says it's not available. I also don't see the new dlc anywhere on the steam, store...am I missing something?

So...is the dlc available on steam for purchase? I wanted to buy the new stages but every time I click on the steam button it says it's not available. I also don't see the new dlc anywhere on the steam, store...am I missing something?

You buy all the DLC through the in game shop. It's not actually available to purchase directly through Steam.

lupinko

Anyone try the PS4 music player with SFV? I love the music but I would like to also try this game with the Bison dramatic battle music.

I don't have a problem with Ryu, Karin needs a nerf on the normals, she can keep the insane damage output but the Normals are fucking OP..

commissar

So as a complete fighting game scrub, this is the game to buy?

I've felt for a while like I should learn how to play fighting games/give them a decent shot. And now there's some sort of SP, the rapidly disappearing Steam sale is putting on the pressure :p

Previous experience is a free copy of DoA4 I played for not very long.

I can't be the only one seeing it but doesn't Ibuki's face on win pose look like that one kid from christmas with the kranks? I can't unsee it and it is so frickin creepy. Faces are whack in this game.

I wouldn't call balrog low tier. He's everything that Guile should have been in handling charge character. The only problem is his normals not being good as the other characters. Their hurtbox are big. His st.mp is nothing comapred to jab AA and is too slow to stop cross up.

I've felt for a while like I should learn how to play fighting games/give them a decent shot. And now there's some sort of SP, the rapidly disappearing Steam sale is putting on the pressure :p

easy to play hard to master. with the new update you should face players similar to your rank (hopefully). i also usually see lot of rookie lounges join those and play. Also this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...e_join_the_reddit_newbie_fight_club/?sort=new

dont know how many people still active but you can try.Join the steam group go on their chat and ask.

Xeteh

I'm always amazed by how fast people write off the DLC characters. I'm still learning combos and they know all the ins and outs within days, Its impressive.

GorillaJu

Meh, Ken and Ryu should be top tier. It's Street Fighter. I agree though Ryu is probably a little too strong.

Re: DLC characters it's the same thing every time, every game. People are quick to give the answer before they've properly asked the question. It takes time to understand a character's strengths and weaknesses properly. If your gimmicks suddenly stop working, maybe choose a non-gimmick game plan before you write the character off.

To quote Maximilian circa week 1: "Ken is garbage in this game. Yeah guys he's really bad."

Edgeward

Execution wise it's a lot easier, and you can do good damage even with simple combos. It's also the most populated fighting game so finding people to play shouldn't be hard even on lower ranks.

The only thing is that it doesn't have a good in game tutorial to really teach and train you on concepts of the game and FGs in general. So you are better off looking at videos on youtube, guides or advice given on here to understand those things

Beta Stage

Neo Member
While I might be wrong, I believe Balrog is one of two characters in this game who can deal 500 dmg without using a CA. The other being Zangief. That's insane! Sure the requirements to deal that much damage is very situational, but Rog definitely lives up to the title "Crazy Buffalo" in this game.

Durden77

If you are wanting to give fighting games a fair shot and try to learn a few things about how they tick, imo SFV is absolutely the best place to start. And yeah you get some decent SP content along the way. I legit loved the story mode, but it might not be as fun to someone that doesn't already love the characters. And the trials are good this time around too

But if you're mainly looking for only vs CPU type stuff you may still be disappointed. Those 2 things are the only SP content worth seeing at the moment. Survival is just a grind for colors/FM.

I-hate-u

Y'all talking buffs and needs about characters. Y'all know who needs a buff? Rashid. He has had a pitiful showing in the Capcom Cup so far.

Xeteh

Players use training stage to learn distances and it serves as a cheat of sorts for some players.

And it's boring as heck in a tournament.

Except both players are using the same stage. They both get that same advantage... and again, not watching the stage.

Y'all talking buffs and needs about characters. Y'all know who needs a buff? Rashid. He has had a pitiful showing in the Capcom Cup so far.

Rashid just needs a small damage buff. Maybe make each hit of his mixers not scale individually. He is such a great character held back by low damage.

Durden77

Sigh i wish i never wasted my FM on costumes for characters i will never use ..

I was so tempted, but I'm glad I didn't. I bought all the stages and still have like 260,000 FM (I have the season pass tho). Gotta hold on to it, no telling what we're getting now after this last update surprised us with these extra stages.

Guile is my me fav. I heart Guile.

Welcome.

commissar

Execution wise it's a lot easier, and you can do good damage even with simple combos. It's also the most populated fighting game so finding people to play shouldn't be hard even on lower ranks.
If you are wanting to give fighting games a fair shot and try to learn a few things about how they tick, imo SFV is absolutely the best place to start.
Thanks! I'll pick it up when I get home :]

Edgeward

Rashid just needs a small damage buff. Maybe make each hit of his mixers not scale individually. He is such a great character held back by low damage.

Pretty much him and FANG have to work too hard for their wins. Rashid a bit more so because he doesn't have the poison

I-hate-u

Tell me about. He has to open up his opponent like 4 times to get the win. And because of his low health, he dies in 2 combos against the top tier right now.

Something needs to change about him.

Kamek

Are you sharing the same PS4 with a profile for each of you?
If you activate the PS4 as "primary" while logged into his account, that might do the trick.
It's easily reversible, too. (You can switch primary console as many times as you like, as long as you deactivate from the current profile first.)

It's the same console, but the DLC is only on his "profile" . If I want it on my CFN/Name, I'll have to re-buy.

Durden77

Thanks! I'll pick it up when I get home :]

Glad to have ya. Be sure to ask any questions you may have here or in the fighting game headquarters thread. Helping people learn is half the fun.

Also, although the servers have seemed to be a little hit and miss with some people, matchmaking has seemed a lot better for me. In like the last 15 or so ranked/casual matches I've had, I haven't had a single opponent that was above ultra silver or below silver. I'm super silver at 3000.

It's been really nice. I didn't think I would care too much because playing opponents better than you is a lot of times a good way to get better, but it's actually made the competition more steady and fierce. And it's been easier to pick up on things I need to improve on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom