• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

Tell me about. He has to open up his opponent like 4 times to get the win. And because of his low health, he dies in 2 combos against the top tier right now.

Something needs to change about him.
I was actually going to main Rashid but I got bodied too hard so I switched. I hope they buff him because he is fun to play.

Man, I can not get the hang of Ibuki at all. I think I only won maybe three or four of my matches today. Really want to get decent with her though. Her combos are too fun.

FluxWaveZ

Decided to leave Casual for Ranked earlier because the competition was stronger in the latter, with people playing their mains and such. Went from 12k LP to 8k LP tonight. I don't really care about the points, but man is that a sign that I'm nowhere near where I was with Mika as I am with Balrog. Getting my ass kicked; it's pretty tough.

Decided to leave Casual for Ranked earlier because the competition was stronger in the latter, with people playing their mains and such. Went from 12k LP to 8k LP tonight. I don't really care about the points, but man is that a sign that I'm nowhere near where I was with Mika as I am with Balrog. Getting my ass kicked; it's pretty tough.

I'm watching PR Rog's stream, he is losing a lot with Balrog tonight. He just lost one to GAF's own Fragment, their in the 3rd match right now. It's so strange to see characters like Rog or Gief be so free on wake up when it was kind of hard to pressure them in 4. .

FluxWaveZ

I'm watching PR Rog's stream, he is losing a lot with Balrog tonight. He just lost one to GAF's own Fragment, their in the 3rd match right now.

I've been tuning into his streams a bit recently, to follow one of the higher profile Balrog players and learn. He's had some harsh words to say about the character. It's still pretty early, but I gotta say that Balrog definitely seems to have some notable flaws. I hope to adjust with him sooner than later.

The nice thing about this game is that even half a year out the balance is still pretty good. I don't think you need a ton of major changes to make the game even more balanced:

rear hurtboxes decreased on cross-up attacks
air to air hits pop opponent higher(attacking player always has frame advantage on landing)
all air specials can be done from neutral jump

Ryu jLK hitbox decrease
Ken no longer able to v-trigger cancel shoryuken
Zangief's SPD startup decreased to 2 frames, lariat hurtbox decreased
Nash 6MK actually has airborne frames
Necalli wakeup speed changed to be the same as the rest of the cast
Birdie EX command grab startup decreased to 2 frames
Rashid gets slight improvements on his frame data and damage
Vega claw-on cFP gets slight hitbox improvement
M.Bison 3FP hits overhead
FANG poison rate increased
Ibuki air throw landing frames invincibilty removed

for the most part the balance is basically fine. the most important thing might be adjusting playstyle incentives or adding a new universal mechanic to diversify gameplay.

Edgeward

"Vega claw-on cFP gets slight hitbox improvement"

My god, if Vega can actually use claw cr hp and not trade everytime. What a day that would be. If it could special cancel that would be extra nice. Mainly for corner set ups. Doubt they would ever do that though but nice to dream

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209103691]The nice thing about this game is that even half a year out the balance is still pretty good. I don't think you need a ton of major changes to make the game even more balanced:

rear hurtboxes decreased on cross-up attacks
air to air hits pop opponent higher(attacking player always has frame advantage on landing)

Ryu jLK hitbox decrease
Nash 6MK actually has airborne frames
Necalli wakeup speed changed to be the same as the rest of the cast
Rashid gets slight improvements on his frame data and damage
Vega claw-on cFP gets slight hitbox improvement
M.Bison 3FP hits overhead
FANG poison rate increased
Ibuki air throw landing frames invincibilty removed

for the most part the balance is basically fine. the most important thing might be adjusting playstyle incentives or adding a new universal mechanic to diversify gameplay.[/QUOTE]
Alex buffs pls

*mp+mk overhead brought back
*EX Stun Gun auto tracks at 3/5ths screen distance or less (obviously hits multiple times like super)
*EX Stomp has air hit box
*MP, HP and EX power bomb all have the same hitbox as LP version

Let's leave spiral DDT, CA damage increase and f.MP speed increase for season 3.

cordy

Banned
Just beat Story Mode and man, props to Capcom. That was nice. No spoilers but I'm pleased. It was good. With that said since this game's gonna be around for 10 years I'm expecting at least 2 more story expansions to ride this out. They gotta pull through.

Nash's dash needs to be toned down, and his C.A. should not be useable as an anti-air.

Nash's dash is fine. He's a low health, low damage character with no 3-frame or invincible moves and bad walk speed. His dash is his gameplan. It's not like you can't play around it. It's also fine that his super anti airs because his anti airs in general are situational and he uses more meter to anti air people than most of the cast as it is.

These are strong options, but they don't exist outside of the game's limits. In fact, reducing Nash's dash in speed or range only further homogenizes a cast that is looking desperately for variety in playstyle.

The only option of Nash that I consider anywhere near busted is his cMK.

Someone here said it best. Capcom made him a jack of all trades, but they forgot to make him a master of none.
I said that actually :D

Honestly though, isn't Ryu the best character in the game, hands down?

Every other character has short-comings to cover their great aspects.

Bison has shit defense but arguably the best normals in the game.

Chun-Li has fantastic normals, range and a comboable overhead in V-Trigger but her V-Reversal is trash, and her only truly invincible option costs at least 1 bar of meter and needs charge.

I can go on and on, but Ryu really doesn't have any weaknesses. He'a a jack of all trades, only Capcom forgot to make him master of none.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209103691]The nice thing about this game is that even half a year out the balance is still pretty good. I don't think you need a ton of major changes to make the game even more balanced:

[/QUOTE]I disagree with these tbh. And I say this as a birdie player. A 2 frame grab is gonna be incredibly overpowered in a lot of situations. Gief's SPDs are perfectly fine, it's his lack of a good green-hand equivalent that's the problem. The V-skill is just not worth the risk/reward ratio it currently has.

Birdie's EX Command Grab is one of the 2 command grabs in this game that can't be grabbed in it's startup. It has good range and is a great move, don't think it needs any more tbh.

And isn't Ken like -5 on that V-trigger cancel on Shoryuken?

SmokeMaxX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209103691]Birdie EX command grab startup decreased to 2 frames.[/QUOTE]
As a birdie main and as someone who thinks he is bottom 5 free, this would be straight broken. I'm okay with how his command grab is, and ex with v trigger basically does a supers worth of damage.

In the next patch, I would like the ability to late cancel st mp into mp head butt and make it confirm able. I would also like for his bullhorn to have more horizontal range so that it actually functions as an anti projectile option. Maybe make cr lk 3 frames although that might be too good since it's a low. I don't really want them touching his other light normals though unless it's a pure buff. I wouldn't mind if he had a safe special, but he doesn't really need it. I'd definitely give him less pushback on his lights.

As a birdie main and as someone who thinks he is bottom 5 free, this would be straight broken. I'm okay with how his command grab is, and ex with v trigger basically does a supers worth of damage.

In the next patch, I would like the ability to late cancel st mp into mp head butt and make it confirm able. I would also like for his bullhorn to have more horizontal range so that it actually functions as an anti projectile option. Maybe make cr lk 3 frames although that might be too good since it's a low. I don't really want them touching his other light normals though unless it's a pure buff. I wouldn't mind if he had a safe special, but he doesn't really need it. I'd definitely give him less pushback on his lights.
Agreed. Maybe make his st.lp a 4-framer?

And I guess maybe it's a personal thing, but I'd also love it if his st.mp was 0 oB, rather than the -1 it currently is. A small buff relatively, but it would make zoning a tad bit easier in some situations.

Marvel

could never
Is F.A.N.G a viable character online if you're not super great with charge and playing the keep away style? tried him in the lab for like 3 minutes, seems to have ok ish buttons.

Wouldn't mind trying him but in an aggressive style.

Is F.A.N.G a viable character online if you're not super great with charge and playing the keep away style? tried him in the lab for like 3 minutes, seems to have ok ish buttons.

Wouldn't mind trying him but in an aggressive style.
Rush down FANG works best against players that don't have a 3-framer and/or an invincible reversal.

You'll need to maintain charge to throw in some special moves here and there, but his corner pressure is legit. Only problem is the lack of damage output and if the opponent is patient and knows when to push a button, that offense can often be for naught.

But I don't think it's viable to play exclusively rushdown. Zoning is something that you're eventually gonna have to do in some situations.

SmokeMaxX

Agreed. Maybe make his st.lp a 4-framer?

And I guess maybe it's a personal thing, but I'd also love it if his st.mp was 0 oB, rather than the -1 it currently is. A small buff relatively, but it would make zoning a tad bit easier in some situations.
I'm down for any buffs personally lol. St lp has great range though and if it were 4, I'd use st lk a lot less. Birdie may have some hidden potential though. Just nothing too intuitive. He's pretty fair.

I'm down for any buffs personally lol. St lp has great range though and if it were 4, I'd use st lk a lot less. Birdie may have some hidden potential though. Just nothing too intuitive. He's pretty fair.
Yeah, he's a pretty straight forward character and we're probably not gonna see any real tech for him. But he's damn good at what he does, which is zoning with normals that have great range and punish the opponent for doing something too obvious.

I've also started incorporating his bull-horn against players that are constantly throwing fireballs in my face while I'm slowly walking towards them. It feels like he has answers for practically every situation, it's just a matter of making the right calls.

Marvel

could never
Rush down FANG works best against players that don't have a 3-framer and/or an invincible reversal.

You'll need to maintain charge to throw in some special moves here and there, but his corner pressure is legit. Only problem is the lack of damage output and if the opponent is patient and knows when to push a button, that offense can often be for naught.

But I don't think it's viable to play exclusively rushdown. Zoning is something that you're eventually gonna have to do in some situations.
Alrighty, I'll be sure to try some zoning too.

I disagree with these tbh. And I say this as a birdie player. A 2 frame grab is gonna be incredibly overpowered in a lot of situations. Gief's SPDs are perfectly fine, it's his lack of a good green-hand equivalent that's the problem. The V-skill is just not worth the risk/reward ratio it currently has.

Birdie's EX Command Grab is one of the 2 command grabs in this game that can't be grabbed in it's startup. It has good range and is a great move, don't think it needs any more tbh.

And isn't Ken like -5 on that V-trigger cancel on Shoryuken?

Upon reflection I agree with you on Birdie's command grab.

Ken's change isn't about being safe, it's about risk/reward ratio for his dp being way off compared for what the game is asking people. It's either make changes to that or his ex air tatsu. Both are way outside what the game wants to be.

I knew it was someone here :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209108761]Upon reflection I agree with you on Birdie's command grab.

Ken's change isn't about being safe, it's about risk/reward ratio for his dp being way off compared for what the game is asking people. It's either make changes to that or his ex air tatsu. Both are way outside what the game wants to be.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't Bison's DF.HP being an overhead also be insanely broken?

A) It's 16 frames. Ryu's is 20 frames, for comparison.
B) It's +1 on block, so he's also able to trade at worst if it's blocked.
C) The Range
D) He can combo off it with no problem

I don't know, it seems like a bad idea.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah, he's a pretty straight forward character and we're probably not gonna see any real tech for him. But he's damn good at what he does, which is zoning with normals that have great range and punish the opponent for doing something too obvious.

I've also started incorporating his bull-horn against players that are constantly throwing fireballs in my face while I'm slowly walking towards them. It feels like he has answers for practically every situation, it's just a matter of making the right calls.
I've been hitting the lab with him and he actually has some interesting stuff imo. Not sure how effective it is against a real person, but I think it will help. I actually spent a lot of time at Ceo trying out gimmicks off of cr hp on block, but I'm pretty sure that's hopeless lol. I like him a lot though.

I've been hitting the lab with him and he actually has some interesting stuff imo. Not sure how effective it is against a real person, but I think it will help. I actually spent a lot of time at Ceo trying out gimmicks off of cr hp on block, but I'm pretty sure that's hopeless lol. I like him a lot though.
Yeah that cr.hp is -9 oB so it's really not something you should be using liberally lol.

Use his cr.lp, St.mk,df.hp and St.hp to keep the opponent at bay. Birdie works best when he is playing defensive and can easily react to his opponents actions

Yeah that cr.hp is -9 oB so it's really not something you should be using liberally lol.

Use his cr.lp, St.mk,df.hp and St.hp to keep the opponent at bay. Birdie works best when he is playing defensive and can easily react to his opponents reactions

It keeps feeling weird seeing your new avatar lol

It keeps feeling weird seeing your new avatar lol
a7EW3JN.jpg

Wouldn't Bison's DF.HP being an overhead also be insanely broken?

A) It's 16 frames. Ryu's is 20 frames, for comparison.
B) It's +1 on block, so he's also able to trade at worst if it's blocked.
C) The Range
D) He can combo off it with no problem

I don't know, it seems like a bad idea.

It doesn't necessarily need the same frame data.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209109298]It doesn't necessarily need the same frame data.[/QUOTE]

Still, I don't think Bison should have an overhead. His schtick is frame traps and safe pressure, and by god he does that well. He doesn't need another way to open you up.

SmokeMaxX

Use his cr.lp, St.mk,df.hp and St.hp to keep the opponent at bay. Birdie works best when he is playing defensive and can easily react to his opponents actions
Well it's cancellable so you can do chain to catch slow buttons, revenger at Max range, vskill as a sort of taunt, or chain cancelled into command grab or nothing. All of the options are awful, but fun to use in a non serious match. And yeah birdie def has good buttons. I outfootsied (or maybe outgimmicked) Kusanagi, who I heard was mexicos top player, to get out of ceo pools and into top 64. Cr Hp against Karin is surprisingly godlike.

Ah-hah! Another proponent for Bison's overhead! The overhead was lovely in Omega mode. Just what he needed back then. I feel this is what's missing in his current repertoire.

Of course the frame data will be different...3MP is much too fast for an overhead now

Well it's cancellable so you can do chain to catch slow buttons, revenger at Max range, vskill as a sort of taunt, or chain cancelled into command grab or nothing. All of the options are awful, but fun to use in a non serious match. And yeah birdie def has good buttons. I outfootsied (or maybe outgimmicked) Kusanagi, who I heard was mexicos top player, to get out of ceo pools and into top 64. Cr Hp against Karin is surprisingly godlike.
Niiiice.

I knew cr.hp was cancellable but not that it could cancel into V-skill. Hmm,this is cool, thanks.

SmokeMaxX

Niiiice.

I knew cr.hp was cancellable but not that it could cancel into V-skill. Hmm,this is cool, thanks.
It's almost worthless, but off antiair you can set up banana or maybe can? I don't really do that enough, but other birdies do.

Anyway bison sucks. I don't know what he needs because he isn't really that unviable. A teleport would probably solve all of his problems, but make it punishable if read and possibly make it offensive as one option (like able to teleport above opponent) but easy to antiair if opponent is doing nothing. Can't really see them giving him a command grab or 3f move.

Any tips? Debating whether to try and get it out the way tonight...

Did you do it on hard. If anything could you give some tips cause I want some of those colors.

Normal. The first 25 matches should be easy until you get to Round 26 Ryu, and you have to turtle with that son of a bitch. Jump over him and he should whiff the shoryuken, and that's when you punish him hard. Same goes for any character after that. Sorry that they're not good tips :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom