• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, people are also trading with my wakeup dps. And I've litterally never seen that happen when I've been the one fighting a dp character

I've had that happen to me too, only happened with a st.hp meaty as FANG, never happened with any other normal.

The FAT app says that EDIT: (Light)DPs are upper-body invincible so it's possible that a properly timed meaty that can hit mid/low might cause a trade scenario?

I've seen something like that happen on stream too.

EDIT: As Omnistalgic said, use MP DPs. They're fully invincible for like 6 frames and they have a 4 frame startup for Ryu.

How the fuck can you not dp out of Laura bullshit resets? I'm like spamming the everliving shit out of the dp motion and everytime it fails, you telling me her reset are a combo or wtf is happening here?
Who are u using? Don't mash either, DP with full invincibility will beat pressure. If using shoto only use MP DP

And Laura is plus on block for a lot of her moves, you are better off vreversal

cHaotix8

Chaotix what’s Karin’s weakness? Like without meter she doesn’t have a good wake-up option, but what’s besides that? I’m not sure how to approach her or Sim and just try to play a good neutral game until my opponent makes a mistake, which good players don’t really do.

I'd say her two biggest weaknesses are her inability to deal with fireballs on reaction and anti air. I try to stay within stand mk range against Ken so that he can't throw them, but just a little bit further in makes anti airing difficult for her unless I'm looking for it. Outside of stand mk range, fireballs are strong against her. I have to either guess Shoulder/Ressenha (Loses to neutral jump), EX Sappo (Just react with jab), or jump (bait and DP). Ideally, you'd want to play the neutral slow and either force me to make one of the mistakes above or get into a position where anti airing is difficult and jump.

Wonko_C

Not directly related to SF but I didn't want to open a new thread just for this: My friend and I purchased 2 Hori Fighting Commander 4s a couple of weeks ago and his just stopped working yesterday when he plugged it in to his PS4. Did it just die? Are these controllers prone to do that? They do feel cheaply made. Sending it to warranty will cost a lot more than ordering a new one from Amazon because we're outside the U.S.

I've been looking online to see if anyone else has had the same problem for a possible fix to no avail. Has anyone with this controller had issues? This is some of the unluckiest timing for it to break, we're going to a local tournament next week.

Not directly related to SF but I didn't want to open a new thread just for this: My friend and I purchased 2 Hori Fighting Commander 4s a couple of weeks ago and his just stopped working yesterday when he plugged it in to his PS4. Did it just die? Are these controllers prone to do that? They do feel cheaply made. Sending it to warranty will cost a lot more than ordering a new one from Amazon because we're outside the U.S.

I've been looking online to see if anyone else has had the same problem for a possible fix to no avail. Has anyone with this controller had issues? This is some of the unluckiest timing for it to break, we're going to a local tournament next week.
Any chance he accidentasy switched it to PS3 mode?

I'd say her two biggest weaknesses are her inability to deal with fireballs on reaction and anti air. I try to stay within stand mk range against Ken so that he can't throw them, but just a little bit further in makes anti airing difficult for her unless I'm looking for it. Outside of stand mk range, fireballs are strong against her. I have to either guess Shoulder/Ressenha (Loses to neutral jump), EX Sappo (Just react with jab), or jump (bait and DP). Ideally, you'd want to play the neutral slow and either force me to make one of the mistakes above or get into a position where anti airing is difficult and jump.
Oh nice I didn't know Ressenha loses to neutral cool. I was crazy scared to throw FB full screen in that match up lol. Also a jumpin from Karin puts you in the corner just like Ken. Good to know, hopefully I can apply it as all of this sounds like reaction based decisions. Salty run back tonight if your own. Can't wait to fight you.

Zissou

It'd probably be a good idea to ask in the stick thread as well, since a lot of knowledgeable people keep an eye on it.

Trickster

I've had that happen to me too, only happened with a st.hp meaty as FANG, never happened with any other normal.

The FAT app says that EDIT: (Light)DPs are upper-body invincible so it's possible that a properly timed meaty that can hit mid/low might cause a trade scenario?

I've seen something like that happen on stream too.

EDIT: As Omnistalgic said, use MP DPs. They're fully invincible for like 6 frames and they have a 4 frame startup for Ryu.

That's probably why then, I've been using light dp's

That's probably why then, I've been using light dp's
Lol u crazy brah...this is ain't ST! Also I wouldn't Dp all the time, especially against Laura. When u come down match is pretty much over. Use v-versal sometimes and don't let her charge her FB if you can react fast enough. Laura is a fun match, it's not really as random as Mika

I almost never use Ken's v reversal. which might be a problem but idlk, his vtrigger is so bananas it just feels awful giving up a block of precious v gauge.

Trickster

Lol u crazy brah...this is ain't ST! Also I wouldn't Dp all the time, especially against Laura. When u come down match is pretty much over. Use v-versal sometimes and don't let her charge her FB if you can react fast enough. Laura is a fun match, it's not really as random as Mika

Well this particular Laura is someone I've had trouble with on my main. So fighting her with Necalli who I still have hardly any experience with is a goddamn nightmare.

Laura is general is much more annoying to fight than Mika imo. Mika needs much more specific situations to really get going. Laura can do so whenever the hell she wants practically.

mbpm1

Well this particular Laura is someone I've had trouble with on my main. So fighting her with Necalli who I still have hardly any experience with is a goddamn nightmare.

Laura is general is much more annoying to fight than Mika imo. Mika needs much more specific situations to really get going. Laura can do so whenever the hell she wants practically.

If you're using Necalli, only HP and EX DP have invincibility

Well, only if you let her. Necalli can certainly overwhelm Laura just as well if not more so because Laura's wakeup options are quite limited while Necalli has a 3-frame jab and a DP.

Texas Showdown was fun times. Got to meet some pros and accomplished my goal of winning a set. (2-1) Won my first set....a Karin mirror and the TO was like 'Hey man stay there your next is coming up now."

Next guy shows up..its a Karin mirror. He was better than the last guy and was just too active for my sluggish self to keep up with. Thinking back he got away with a lot of jump ins that I wouldn't ever let people do. Don't drink kids....Got sent to losers 2-0 versus a Ryu that I most definitely should have beat but I was rushing. Went 1-2. Adrenaline was my enemy.

Though to be honest my worst enemy was myself that day. The night before I hung out with friends and only planned to drink a lil...I drank way too much (cocktails sneak up on you) and woke up with a hangover. My set started at 4 so I was kind of okay by then but no where near top form. Lesson learned for sure. Ended up eating once before 4pm and just chugged a 5 hour on the way in the tourney door. All in all it was a great experience and next time I'll be well rested and NO DRINKING THE NIGHT BEFORE damn.

Oh yeah another thing I didn't expect...in pools its not super fancy and sectioned off like you see on the main stage. Its cramped, loud, you probably don't have headphones lest you bring your own, and tons of people are standing right behind/next/infront of you watching you play. Some are even yelling at you or coaching the person you are playing and you just gotta deal with it.

Also, setups seems to be a big thing with this game everyone was talking about,"Oh he knows this setup or whats the setup for etc etc." I guess because I mostly play online I never hear that but it was a pretty big deal and made me realize I don't really go for any.

Very glad I went, when I got home I (took two more Aleve) and started shopping for arcade stick bags. I'll be at my locals (Insomnia Games Houston) on Thursday. Next goal is to win 2 sets before heading to losers.

Oh yeah yesterday I was playing a bit rushy to get the matches over with quickly I knew skilltor wanted to play . Jump in damage is soo good, it's easy to go on auto pilot. But FB against Nash is not good, it gets beat easily by his own boom and he can take meter. I use it to close distance or as an extended poke. If we play a longer set you'll see how I generally play Nash, I hardly ever jump and punish V-vreversal because most nashes back themselves into a corner and then use reversal to run away.

Don't be scared man, u always wanna do quick sets lol... Let's play next time!!

You always catch me right before I hit the sack lol. If you play me at like 7PM EST, I can play for hours and have long sets.

Laura resets where she dashes under you and her completely normal charge move into grab

Laura going under you can mess up your inputs and cause you to not get a DP out sometimes

And Laura is plus on block for a lot of her moves, you are better off vreversal

tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

You always catch me right before I hit the sack lol. If you play me at like 7PM EST, I can play for hours and have long sets.
Gotcha bro...ill invite earlier. Gotta play Karin, Sims, and Nash a lot more frequently. Semi weak against Nash, almost free against Sim/Karin tho, I'll be on a lot more from now on, giving ranked a break.

This Ken called combo maker told me leave rank alone for a week and see your improvement.

Mediking

Guile is prolly taking longer because somebody in Capcom is like... "We really gotta stop giving characters for free time to use. Open the Zenny shop now!!!!!!!! Make people pay for Alex too!"

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, no one's joining my lobby and searching for any is a giant pain because the latencies just refresh eternally.

Guess it's back to Training mode for me.

Edit: And everyone who joins my lobby are always in regions that are too far, so they leave immediately. No filter for this is crazy. It's mainly Japanese players right now.

How to punish people who always late-tech after I cross-up MK?

If I try to shimmy back a bit or use a heavy, I get thrown.
Neutral jump? I'm surprised you get thrown out of heavy though. If you land cross up MK right, a follow up heavy should be a true blockstring.

I've been working on my frametraps so I try that for someone that tries to press too many buttons after a jump in. (e.g. Nash's cross up MK, standing LP, standing HP).

Ugh, no one's joining my lobby and searching for any is a giant pain because the latencies just refresh eternally.

Edit: And everyone who joins my lobby are always in regions that are too far, so they leave immediately. No filter for this is crazy. It's mainly Japanese players right now.
day time for me on east coast I find is a decent time to play rank. That's when I run into Damdai and TampaBison etc...

I'll play u in lobbies tonight too, for some reason our matches never get boring lol.

cHaotix8

How to punish people who always late-tech after I cross-up MK?

If I try to shimmy back a bit or use a heavy, I get thrown.

Either go low or delay your frame trap light/medium button, though your other options depend on your character. Some characters can backdash and recover in time to punish the throw whiff animation.

Oh nice I didn't know Ressenha loses to neutral cool. I was crazy scared to throw FB full screen in that match up lol. Also a jumpin from Karin puts you in the corner just like Ken. Good to know, hopefully I can apply it as all of this sounds like reaction based decisions. Salty run back tonight if your own. Can't wait to fight you.

Yeah, I'm down to run a set when I get off work later today. Need as much exposure to Ken as possible, lol.

FluxWaveZ

day time for me on east coast I find is a decent time to play rank. That's when I run into Damdai and TampaBison etc...

I'll play u in lobbies tonight too, for some reason our matches never get boring lol.

Eh, I'm not really feeling like playing Ranked right now, I'd prefer longer sets.

That sounds good; I always enjoy the close matches we have.

Baleoce

Battle lobby searching in this game is legitimately useless at the moment. I'd use that as a resource far more than I do if it was actually able to give me accurate informations regarding region and ping. The ability to be able to run long sets with people spontaneously is amazing and one of the best ways to learn.

Kikirin

or have any general tips about throwing/cmd throwing on a non quickrise? I grinded in training mode a bit but some framedata would be clutch.

Looks like you've already got the frame data for this from someone else, so some general tips:
  • Opponents have throw invulnerability for the first two frames out of hitstun, blockstun, and wakeup. So to scoop opponents at the earliest possible time, you want the throw to be active on exactly the third frame after.
  • I would generally recommend against trying to manually aim for this window without a setup, since the window to get it right against wakeup buttons is pretty small.
  • To beat 3f jabs with 5f startup throws, you'll want to make setups that leave you +2 or +3 before they get up. +1 is also fine vs. 4f jab characters.
  • The above numbers need to be increased or decreased for throws with different startups. For example: 6f throws need to increase the target advantage by 1, resulting in +3 or +4 vs 3f jabs, with +2 being fine vs. 4f jabs.

Renekton

Neutral jump? I'm surprised you get thrown out of heavy though. If you land cross up MK right, a follow up heavy should be a true blockstring.

I've been working on my frametraps so I try that for someone that tries to press too many buttons after a jump in. (e.g. Nash's cross up MK, standing LP, standing HP).
Ya I delayed a tiny bit before pressing heavy hoping to catch a CC, that's how I got thrown lol.

But when I press heavy right upon landing j.MK, it is blocked.

Shito

My Laura is slowly starting to shape up, even though I still have a LOT of work ahead of me.
Here are a few casual matches I had earlier today with a coworker: https://youtu.be/5m6pNsOZ_uo

Nothing too extraordinary, and I'm a bit dishonnest to put those three wins for me while we usually go 50-50, but hey, gotta pump up the confidence some times (and I should have lost that third match)! ^^
You can tell I still jump WAY too much, and I don't anti-air well enough. I also need to work on my vdash game: I should start trying to dash back xx dash forward to create some confusion. If any pro-Laura player has more pointers to give to me, I would be more than happy to hear them... ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom