• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno...even Infiltration could randomly drown in pools that huge.

I seriously wonder who's going to make it out of there alive.

Winning EVO this year is tantamount to winning 2-3 majors.

This is how I know you have no idea what you are talking about. Getting out of pools at EVO for games with a lot of entrants is easy. Do you honestly think even 3500 of those 4000+ are any good at the game? Getting out of pools will be child's play at EVO this year.

SmokeMaxX

This is how I know you have no idea what you are talking about. Getting out of pools at EVO for games with a lot of entrants is easy. Do you honestly think even 3500 of those 4000+ are any good at the game? Getting out of pools will be child's play at EVO this year.
There will probably be a ton of fraudulent pools with no good players and a few pools of death with 3 or 4 good players.

How does saying "the larger a tournament is, the easier it is to get randomed out" mean I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Like...that's a fact. It's not even something someone on NeoGaf could argue against, try as they might.

Heck, it's already HAPPENED. A number of top tier players and former EVO champions drowned in pools last EVO simply because the tourney was so massive.

SmokeMaxX

I thought the aim is to spread them out so it's evenly distributed

I mean with this many entrants, it very possible
Logistically it's very hard to seed everyone correctly (assuming they even do seeding for as many people as possible. Some events refuse to seed unless you meet some arbitrary criteria like have cpt points). Also, there are a lot of killers that are unknown on a national stage. They may be local killers, online warriors, or come from a different country. Nobody knew kusoru was godlike until they saw him body top usa players in marvel.

Astrael

Whew thought my account fried when I was checking it for replays, can't log in either (west coast US). And I was having a good run tonight, finally got my confidence back after a miserable weekend haha. Only matchup I had trouble with was Laura...

Sayad

How does saying "the larger a tournament is, the easier it is to get randomed out" mean I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Like...that's a fact. It's not even something someone on NeoGaf could argue against, try as they might.

Heck, it's already HAPPENED. A number of top tier players and former EVO champions drowned in pools last EVO simply because the tourney was so massive.
You specifically said "pools", pools size could stay the same(most probably will), as the tournament get bigger the talent get spread more and you get less talent per pool while still having to play through the same number of matches to get past pools. So bigger tournament = easier more boring pools.

That being said, after pools, bigger tournament means more matches on your way to top 8 and thus, a bigger chance to get randomed out.

Hustler

still unable to login... maybe they're implementing the rage quit solution and then guile is out on Thursday? Oh and where are my dailies???

does anyone know the # of frames in a non-quickrise?

or have any general tips about throwing/cmd throwing on a non quickrise? I grinded in training mode a bit but some framedata would be clutch.

Edzi

So I decided to finally look into how SFV mods work on PC, and I'm kinda surprised at how easy it is. Using this stuff is safe, right? Even if you use the 1 round survival mods?

After a long break from the game, trying some other games and coming to the conclusion that most games out there dont appeal to me anymore i got myself a fight stick and decided to just stick to playing the few games i know i like. One of those is this game.

Now i love how this game plays. Its fantastic. But it just seems lile no one is playing it in europe who isnt some much higher rank. I mean, i know i suck and im one of those forever stuck in the 900-1200 range. And im totally fine with that. But after 3 play sessions the same thing happens each time. I get matched against mostly people much higher rank than me (even silvers at times). Often its ryu, ken and bison over and over as well and getting matched against the same players. There is also basically no one playing casual mode anymore.

Is the player base just really low in europe?

Also i have pretty much 90% played as mika and as much as i love to play her i kinda feel someone else mighy be better suited yo me but cant for the life of me decide who. Who would you recommend? As much as i know ken and ryu are good all rounders i just feel totally bored of those guys. I was thinking maybe cammy or karin but i dunno.

Philippo

I got this from the Amazon 10$ deal and for now i simply did the story mode with each character, just to learn the basics.
Where do i go from here? I've never played fighting game seriously enough to actually learn them, so for once i want to try and get good with it.

I got this from the Amazon 10$ deal and for now i simply did the story mode with each character, just to learn the basics.
Where do i go from here? I've never played fighting game seriously enough to actually learn them, so for once i want to try and get good with it.

Do the trials and easy survival to see how the different characters feel incase you havent figured out who you want to play already.

After that maby check out a few easy combos for the character on youtube, practice them, and then go casual games and see if you can get a feel for the gameplay.

Dont try to overcomplicate it in the beginning, its probably better to not spend to much time in practice, go into casual games to see how the game accually plays and dont get sad if you dont win every game.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Character from Melty Blood/Tsukhime.

It's tough because i get thrown meaty on wake up 4 times in a row so crouch guarding doesn't exactly work and I'm way too paranoid to take the risk of eating a 50% combo because i tried to tech the throw on wake up.

Delay get up might be a smart idea to ocassionally throw off the timing.

Might also just have to consider picking up a second character that matches up better with characters like Ryu and Chun. Laura got some of the most fucked up match ups in the game outside of Gief.

You really shouldn't listen to icecold1983's 'advice', he's incredibly opinionated and thinks Ryu is bad, despite the vast majority of pro players think he's the best character in the game.

The Ryu match is ROUGH for Laura, his normals are generally better than yours, he has better walkspeed, better anti air moves, and a reversal that you lack.

Use EX elbow to blow through freballs from up to 3/4 screen, st.mk as a poke, HP bolt as your own anti air.

I won't lie, Laura is not friendly to new players, look for videos on youtube by Automattock and Vryu to get an idea of her setups and mixups, which is where her real strengths lie

Was getting absolutely trashed by karin. The game disconnects after I lose the 1st round of the the rematch. I know they think I RQed the the timing was too perfect. They are on PC so I can't even message them to apologize. SMH.

After a long break from the game, trying some other games and coming to the conclusion that most games out there dont appeal to me anymore i got myself a fight stick and decided to just stick to playing the few games i know i like. One of those is this game.

Now i love how this game plays. Its fantastic. But it just seems lile no one is playing it in europe who isnt some much higher rank. I mean, i know i suck and im one of those forever stuck in the 900-1200 range. And im totally fine with that. But after 3 play sessions the same thing happens each time. I get matched against mostly people much higher rank than me (even silvers at times). Often its ryu, ken and bison over and over as well and getting matched against the same players. There is also basically no one playing casual mode anymore.

Is the player base just really low in europe?

Also i have pretty much 90% played as mika and as much as i love to play her i kinda feel someone else mighy be better suited yo me but cant for the life of me decide who. Who would you recommend? As much as i know ken and ryu are good all rounders i just feel totally bored of those guys. I was thinking maybe cammy or karin but i dunno.
Capcom is supposed to address this the next patch. should be easier to find players in europe after.

Flux, I definitely want to echo the rest in saying that playing offline with other people where you can get direct feedback is one of the fastest ways to get better. It's also pretty humbling because you get to see just how much larger and stronger the offline world is. The game is still in it's infancy. Ranked matches and LP only count for so much at this point.

That said, the most crucial aspect to winning in fighting games is problem solving, and I could tell you were doing that a lot during our matches, especially in your approach in the neutral. You have a good attitude towards the game, and I think you'll continue to improve regardless if you ever join a local scene.
Chaotix what’s Karin’s weakness? Like without meter she doesn’t have a good wake-up option, but what’s besides that? I’m not sure how to approach her or Sim and just try to play a good neutral game until my opponent makes a mistake, which good players don’t really do.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So I decided to finally look into how SFV mods work on PC, and I'm kinda surprised at how easy it is. Using this stuff is safe, right? Even if you use the 1 round survival mods?

Yup, safe, the only problem you might run into is having to update some mods or the mod manager itself after a major patch, but even that's just a minor nuisance.

Baleoce

I want to strip my game back with Ryu and stop overthinking. Just want to focus on the ground game and normals / spacing. It's just telling my brain to do that when it's trying to revert to bad habits.

Capcom is supposed to address this the next patch. should be easier to find players in europe after.

If sp that's awesome. While i want to win i dont mind losing as long as its a good fight. I just want to be able to play an hour or so of street fighter a few nights a week. If i suddenly get better matchmaking i will be pretty happy.

Any suggestions on a second chatacter to learn? Im torn between karin, cammy and possibly even Ryu despite always thinking "ugh, another Ryu". A good change from mika is what im after.

If sp that's awesome. While i want to win i dont mind losing as long as its a good fight. I just want to be able to play an hour or so of street fighter a few nights a week. If i suddenly get better matchmaking i will be pretty happy.

Any suggestions on a second chatacter to learn? Im torn between karin, cammy and possibly even Ryu despite always thinking "ugh, another Ryu". A good change from mika is what im after.
All three are good choices, I would say Ryu and Karin are a bit stronger than Cammy, Cammy is probably easier to be effective with than either of them though. All very different from playing Mika. Karin has the highest execution barrier out of the three, but is really strong with footsies and spacing because her buttons are so good.

All three are good choices, I would say Ryu and Karin are a bit stronger than Cammy, Cammy is probably easier to be effective with than either of them though. All very different from playing Mika. Karin has the highest execution barrier out of the three, but is really strong with footsies and spacing because her buttons are so good.

Thanks

I tried a bit of Karin a while back and quite enjoyed her so maybe i will give her some time. I did both her her and cammys trials easy enough and thought cammy seemed pretty fun as well because of her speed.

Still getting used to the change from pad to stick but i REALLY like using a fight stick so far. Button timings are so much easier.

Chaotix what’s Karin’s weakness? Like without meter she doesn’t have a good wake-up option, but what’s besides that? I’m not sure how to approach her or Sim and just try to play a good neutral game until my opponent makes a mistake, which good players don’t really do.

Everyone has some consistencies in their playstyle, and even the best of players crack sometimes. Like when we played yesterday and I had the life lead, I would just sit on it and throw booms, and you eventually, 100%, jumped, and I was ready with the anti-air. Ken has fireballs, you should use them more.

if you want something very different use rashid. hes quite a departure from ryu and mika

Raytow

Yup, safe, the only problem you might run into is having to update some mods or the mod manager itself after a major patch, but even that's just a minor nuisance.
Even the survival cheat is safe? you can get like a million zenny out of completing all survival modes, that can't be right.

Flux, I definitely want to echo the rest in saying that playing offline with other people where you can get direct feedback is one of the fastest ways to get better.

Yeah, I'm currently training a friend of mine who wants to get out of bronze, and we do voice chat so I can instantly tell him what he should/shouldn't be doing, like stop jumping at me, that's unsafe, that should've been a big punish.
We also live fairly close to each other so it's nearly as playing offline.

Everyone has some consistencies in their playstyle, and even the best of players crack sometimes. Like when we played yesterday and I had the life lead, I would just sit on it and throw booms, and you eventually, 100%, jumped, and I was ready with the anti-air. Ken has fireballs, you should use them more.
Oh yeah yesterday I was playing a bit rushy to get the matches over with quickly I knew skilltor wanted to play . Jump in damage is soo good, it's easy to go on auto pilot. But FB against Nash is not good, it gets beat easily by his own boom and he can take meter. I use it to close distance or as an extended poke. If we play a longer set you'll see how I generally play Nash, I hardly ever jump and punish V-vreversal because most nashes back themselves into a corner and then use reversal to run away.

Don't be scared man, u always wanna do quick sets lol... Let's play next time!!

Trickster

How the fuck can you not dp out of Laura bullshit resets? I'm like spamming the everliving shit out of the dp motion and everytime it fails, you telling me her reset are a combo or wtf is happening here?

How the fuck can you not dp out of Laura bullshit resets? I'm like spamming the everliving shit out of the dp motion and everytime it fails, you telling me her reset are a combo or wtf is happening here?
Either you're not doing them right or ..... yeah, you're not doing them right. They're pretty much fully invincible including throws and there's no reason why you can't DP out of them.

Trickster

Either you're not doing them right or ..... yeah, you're not doing them right. They're pretty much fully invincible including throws and there's no reason why you can't DP out of them.

Well, people are also trading with my wakeup dps. And I've litterally never seen that happen when I've been the one fighting a dp character

Baleoce

If you can recall the match/scenario, maybe post that exact section? Either in gif or webm/youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom