• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitomi tanaka?
Let's not bring that in here. As much as I'd like to.

image.php
a7EW3JN.jpg

I'm still so bad at inputting CA motions on stick ... it's embarrassing.
It's ok man, no one's gonna be watching your inputs in matches.

Though I'd recommend practicing in training mode on your downtime. Practicing it as a Reversal, practicing it in combos, practicing it as counters to specific situations like Using Balrog's CA against a fireball.

Muscle Memory is not something you can shortcut you way through.

You're right, I don't. I just don't get why people get so up in arms about it. Like bringing up the topic from yesterday.

The only reason I'm not a fan of Training stage is the music that gets incredibly annoying after a while. Otherwise, like you said, I'm focusing on the fight.

Every single match now is:

phoenix-sweating(a).gif
phoenix-emo.gif

Expression when it starts.
Expression when it ends.

I am terrible.
I've found playing when tired and playing when you're visibly irritated and frustrated never leads to victories.

Take a deep breath, calm down. Take a little break, have some refreshment. Think of Persona 5 if that helps.

Then go back once you're refreshed. The most important thing though, is to keep that fresh loss out of your mind. It won't do you any good to just dwell on a match that you lost, just keep focusing on the present.

FluxWaveZ

I've found playing when tired and playing when you're visibly irritated and frustrated never leads to victories.

Take a deep breath, calm down. Take a little break, have some refreshment. Think of Persona 5 if that helps.

Then go back once you're refreshed. The most important thing though, is to keep that fresh loss out of your mind. It won't do you any good to just dwell on a match that you lost, just keep focusing on the present.

Yeah, that works when it's actually your nerves, but in this case it's my skill. I've been on the biggest loss streak I've ever had, and it's really because I can't keep up and I'm not up to par with the competition.

It's like I'm learning how to play all over again...

A few interesting things about
decapre
uppercut
: none of the variations have any kind of invincibility, like how each one had a different kind in SF4, none of the safe on block either.
Ex uppercut
: completely invincible, this monster beats any and every srk clean, CC on recovery. Not really safe on block, but it pushes far enough away that only a long reaching normal hits
Teleports
: medium and heavy not invincible on startup, light seems to be throw invincible on startup (crazy) and standing attacks that hit high will whiff.
Divekick
: all of these, no matter how high you hit, are neutral on block
Ground stomp
: unsafe on block. After this hits, it doesn't matter if you hold up, up forwards or up back, you'll always move forward.
Target combo, interesting thing about the target combo, you can link into it from lp, making it a frametrap on block. will also move forward on jump.

Seems like quite a bit of thought has already gone into the moveset.

Yeah, that works when it's actually your nerves, but in this case it's my skill. I've been on the biggest loss streak I've ever had, and it's really because I can't keep up and I'm not up to par with the competition.

If you think that's the case, then go back and watch your replays. You'll have to analyze both your play and theirs in reaction to yours.

Don't have any real advice other than that. If you upload replays, maybe we can try to give some pointers.

EDIT: Oh yes, find some killers near you and play them as much as you can. Seriously, don't think of this loss streak as something bad, think of it as a humbling experience that's eventually only going to make you a better player.

Edzi

Aren't you playing Rog now? I'm pretty sure a losing streak is expected when you're learning a new character.

FluxWaveZ

If you think that's the case, then go back and watch your replays. You'll have to analyze both your play and theirs in reaction to yours.

Don't have any real advice other than that. If you upload replays, maybe we can try to give some pointers.

EDIT: Oh yes, find some killers near you and play them as much as you can. Seriously, don't think of this loss streak as something bad, think of it as a humbling experience that's eventually only going to make you a better player.

Thanks for trying to help, but this is the kind of stuff I've been doing since the start. I have played over 3.1k matches after all, so it's kind of what I've had to do to improve previously, and I also have started going to locals. But this descent from Ultra Platinum to nearing Ultra Gold in one fell swoop is pretty harsh. The transition to Balrog has not been kind to me at all.

Might upload a few replays here, if I really can't figure things out anymore.

Dubz

Cr mp > H Sonic Boom > CA

This is part of a Guile trial and I can't get the CA out. Doesn't seem like there's time to charge it. Help.

Thanks for trying to help, but this is the kind of stuff I've been doing since the start. I have played over 3.1k matches after all, so it's kind of what I've had to do to improve previously, and I also have started going to locals. But this descent from Ultra Platinum to nearing Ultra Gold in one fell swoop is pretty harsh. The transition to Balrog has not been kind to me at all.

Might upload a few replays here, if I really can't figure things out anymore.
Oh wait, is this cause you're playing Balrog? That explains it, he sucks. Plus you can't expect to be as good with a lower tier character that came out 3-4 days ago, as compared to a character you've been playing and perfected for months.

Cr mp > H Sonic Boom > CA

This is part of a Guile trial and I can't get the CA out. Doesn't seem like there's time to charge it. Help.
Do the CA directly after the sonic boom hits. Consider the sonic boom that you threw the first forward motion of the 2 back+forward motions of the CA.

so it's cr.mp -> sonic boom -> back -> forward -> punch.

The charge of the sonic boom IS the charge of the CA. That's also how you do flash kick into CA.

It's gotten to the point where I just don't want to play Ryu's on ranked anymore. It's no fun.
Which character do you play?

Cause honestly, playing Guiles and Ryus as Birdie has been a hoot and a half (not even being sarcastic. It's like free points at this stage)

Edzi

Which character do you play?

Cause honestly, playing Guiles and Ryus as Birdie has been a hoot and a half (not even being sarcastic. It's like free points at this stage)

Currently playing Rog. No Ryu that knows their tools and plays rushdown is free.

FluxWaveZ

Aren't you playing Rog now? I'm pretty sure a losing streak is expected when you're learning a new character.

Yeah, though that doesn't make things any easier.

Oh wait, is this cause you're playing Balrog? That explains it, he sucks. Plus you can't expect to be as good with a lower tier character that came out 3-4 days ago, as compared to a character you've been playing and perfected for months.

Heh, better or worse than Mika? I sure hope I can eventually adapt to Balrog, though.

Currently playing Rog. No Ryu that knows their tools and plays rushdown is free.
Ouch. Yeah, that's not a fun matchup. Hope I have more advice to give but Rog is just not my style of character.

Heh, better or worse than Mika? I sure hope I can eventually adapt to Balrog, though.
Oh, most definitely worse than Mika. Mika is like JUST shy of being in that upper tier IMO. But she is certainly better than a chunk of the cast.

I hope you do adapt, but just stating it for the record that Balrog, and really all of the DLC characters, have been close enough to being strong but not quite there. I'd imagine Juri and Urien will have a similar situation. Maybe the future balancing will help, but right now, it seems safer to stick with what you know.

Just my 2 cents though.

EDIT: Edzi put it best, She's Mika tier.

Edzi

lol, why is walk up grab so good in this game. -__-

Yeah, though that doesn't make things any easier.

Mika is good by virtue of her design, so she never has a truly bad matchup imo. She's not low or high tier, she's Mika tier. Rog is definitely worse than Mika.

T.O.P

Banned
Oh wow, i finally got into gold

Balrog <3

Now to never play ranked again because i don't wanna go back to silver lol

mbpm1

Mika is high as hell.

Rog doesn't suck imo, of all the dlc characters released thus far he's the strongest so he makes it out of the meh-tier crowd, but he's definitely a different beast.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
lol, why is walk up grab so good in this game. -__-

Mika is good by virtue of her design, so she never has a truly bad matchup imo. She's not low or high tier, she's Mika tier. Rog is definitely worse than Mika.
Its free. Especially the long thick legged characters like chunners.

Mika is high as hell.

Rog doesn't suck imo, of all the dlc characters released thus far he's the strongest so he makes it out of the meh-tier crowd, but he's definitely a different beast.
I personally think he's the weakest of the 4 that have been released.

Even Ibuki becomes a monster when she gets V-Trigger, Balrog is just so easy to deal with as long as you know what you're doing. A lot of his stuff is either unsafe, or doesn't have much range, or is just plain slow(like his v-skill cancel).

I honestly think people are sleeping on Alex. That dude is one scary character in the right hands.

Edzi

Even Ibuki becomes a monster when she gets V-Trigger, Balrog is just so easy to deal with as long as you know what you're doing. A lot of his stuff is either unsafe, or doesn't have much range, or is just plain slow(like his v-skill cancel).

I honestly think people are sleeping on Alex. That dude is one scary character in the right hands.

Eh, I've spent a lot of time with Alex and him and Balrog feel pretty similar to me. Anyone can be scary in the right hands when they get rolling, even Gief.

Eh, I've spent a lot of time with Alex and him and Balrog feel pretty similar to me. Anyone can be scary in the right hands when they get rolling, even Gief.
True, but I feel like Alex has more varied tools at his disposal than a lot of other grapplers.

mbpm1

Don't really see any of this.

But what do i know, I'm a Tracer player now.

Is there a consensus regarding the story mode and whether it's any good or not? I can only see the spoiler thread, but I don't want to snoop around in that for obvious reasons.

Is there a consensus regarding the story mode and whether it's any good or not? I can only see the spoiler thread, but I don't want to snoop around in that for obvious reasons.
It could have been a bit better but for a Street Fighter story mode, it was fun.

Why is she
hugging someone who she doesn't even know? Why is she smooshing her breasts in her face?

And am I the only one who kinda wishes we could change the costumes so she could do this with her Battle outfit?

LakeEarth

There isn't really a consensus, there are people on both sides of the spectrum. Story is fun but flawed. The loading gets pretty bad, so have GAF open while you play.

Xeteh

It could have been a bit better but for a Street Fighter story mode, it was fun.

Why is she
hugging someone who she doesn't even know? Why is she smooshing her breasts in her face?

And am I the only one who kinda wishes we could change the costumes so she could do this with her Battle outfit?

I thought you could switch costumes for the story mode.

Super dumb but dumb in an okay way. Don't take it seriously and its fine.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's better the more you know/care about SF lore. It's a quirky cheesy cheaply made ride that's about 3 hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom