• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

St.HP is hella good to just throw out. St.MK buffered to HP Straight is also good for catching limbs. Cr.MK>MK when you have V-Trigger is amazing too.

I definitely need to stop using jab for ant-airing and start using St.MP, cause that is my biggest weakness right now and you got way too much damage off jump ins.

Yeah, I need to be using st.HP more than I do. That's a really good poke.

I also need to start using st.MP more than I do. Too much crouching HP. It's not a very good AA when the opponent is right on top of your head; st.MP is preferable for that kind of position.

Also need to use cr.MP more for punishes, instead of cr.MK.

Edgeward

I played a lot of casual matches just now as a super mega scrub it's hard to tell if I'm getting better or my opponents are getting worse.

I cannot fathom how much I'd have to play to actually be half way decent let alone good at the game.

Also, I feel like all of the online resources for the game are like just way above my head. I look up guile basics or beginner strategy guile and it's like "here's how to do a 9 hit combo" and I'm lucky if I can just do crouching medium punch into flash kick.

edit: that's not true, I can reliable do crouching medium punch to flashkick...

What guide is telling you to do 9 hit combos? Outside of vtrigger combos Guile shouldn't have anything like that so just focus on the bread and butter ones or BNBs for short.

It's more important to get comfortable with a small set of tools than try to incorporate a bunch at once. Have one reliable combo you can use to hit after a successful jump in attack or when a punish comes. Have one reliable way to combo into super. And be comfortable with antiairing. That's all you need starting out. Worrying about optimizing of situational combos is not something focus on until you master these basics. And it's honestly more than enough to get through a majority of beginners. The other half is understanding spacing, defense/patience, what is punishable and getting a read on what your opponent wants to do and what you should be doing.

Zackat

I played a lot of casual matches just now as a super mega scrub it's hard to tell if I'm getting better or my opponents are getting worse.

I cannot fathom how much I'd have to play to actually be half way decent let alone good at the game.

Also, I feel like all of the online resources for the game are like just way above my head. I look up guile basics or beginner strategy guile and it's like "here's how to do a 9 hit combo" and I'm lucky if I can just do crouching medium punch into flash kick.

welp that's where you start. do that until you can do the cr.MP to flashkick 10 times on each side. Then add another layer, then another. Break the combos down into pieces, don't try and do them all at once. It does take a bit of time to learn how to execute but once you get the timing down on one character it makes the other ones a lot easier.

The God

Do you use a stick?

Yeah, I need to be using st.HP more than I do. That's a really good poke.

I also need to start using st.MP more than I do. Too much crouching HP. It's not a very good AA when the opponent is right on top of your head; st.MP is preferable for that kind of position.

Also need to use cr.MP more for punishes, instead of cr.MK.

The problem is that Cr.MP goes nowhere.

Yeah, it's as stubby as most of his normals. I just tend to fish with cr.MK endlessly for some reason and punish with cr.MK > cr.MK for whatever reason when I should obviously be doing cr.MP > dash punch.

One thing I'm angry about it that I should've baited the MKs and punished you hard for it. One of the many mistakes I made.

Ketch

What guide is telling you to do 9 hit combos? Outside of vtrigger combos Guile shouldn't have anything like that so just focus on the bread and butter ones or BNBs for short.

It's more important to get comfortable with a small set of tools than try to incorporate a bunch at once. Have one reliable combo you can use to hit after a successful jump in attack or when a punish comes. Have one reliable way to combo into super. And be comfortable with antiairing. That's all you need starting out. Worrying about optimizing of situational combos is not something focus on until you master these basics. And it's honestly more than enough to get through a majority of beginners. The other half is understanding spacing, defense/patience, what is punishable and getting a read on what your opponent wants to do and what you should be doing.

thanks, that's great advice.

welp that's where you start. do that until you can do the cr.MP to flashkick 10 times on each side. Then add another layer, then another. Break the combos down into pieces, don't try and do them all at once. It does take a bit of time to learn how to execute but once you get the timing down on one character it makes the other ones a lot easier.

I can do the flashkick combo, I use it for punishing and jumping in. right now i'm working on cr.mp to sonic boom to sonic hurricane.

what is the best way to set up the training dummy to practice anti airs? Like just having him jump in repeatedly would be too easy.

and how do I use guiles vtrigger as a noob?

I completed all the trials with all characters, I feel like a god for doing them with the 360 controller, had to revamp certain buttons for certain combos. Karin's #6 was the stuff of nightmares, couldn't connect the last part. I did it and felt like a fluke, doesn't matter got my FM.

Quesa

thanks, that's great advice.
what is the best way to set up the training dummy to practice anti airs? Like just having him jump in repeatedly would be too easy.

Set the dummy to record, record the dummy jumping forward and doing different jump-ins in one sequence, start in the one of the corners so they can keep jumping forward on you, then reset after the sequence plays out. It'll still be predictable, but that's about the best you can do without a live opponent.

Palom

I don't really notice any difference in league matchups. I started getting a considerable more amount closer to my league (Gold) about a month or so ago. Only problem, now that I'm trying to learn a new character, I keep getting matched with Gold+ people, and as someone that's mentally deficient, throwing me straight into the fire doesn't help me learn at all. After about 4 or 5 days straight of playing nothing but Ibuki, I feel like I have absolutely zero knowledge about the character more than when I started. And it seems like the FGC in general is just toxic; I get more taunts and trash talking than anyone actually willing to help.

I use the DS4 on pc.

was using the dpad (had used dpad exclusively for other fighting games), then tried the analog stick as a joke and my execution was immediately better, night and day better.

yeah me too, used to dpad now using analog. much better and less painful. Planning on buying stick if I have the money

Zackat

If you like analog you would like a fight stick a lot I think. I love playing with mine, though pad is good too. I found that I wasn't consistently accurate when I tried the analog stick though. Would go too far and jump. Dashing is also awkward, at least to me.

Does the fireball meaty if they back tech?

Yup! One weird thing is that it seems like the meaty cFP, sMP link after a throw is character specific since Nash gets a little pushback after his forward throw. On some characters you have to do a slight pause into cMP like in the example I made for your back tech question:

M8n2n1.gif

It's hard timing but technically the meaty cMP can also link into sFP for a stronger combo.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
and how do I use guiles vtrigger as a noob?

Did you do his trials? Every character should have at least one trial that utilises their VT.
Once you've found it, you can change the options to repeat that one trial and practice it until you're happy. Then you could take that knowledge and apply the VT in other situations in training mode.

You could always search "SFV Guile VT combo" in YT or something, but you don't wanna push yourself too much too soon. Maybe practice using the gauge for V-Reversals (which consume one bar) instead at this stage. They will help give you space and cool your stun gauge when in uncomfortable situations.

If you don't mind doing some homework, you should definitely check out Gootecks' Fighting Game Fundamentals. Data is based on the SFV Beta, so won't be 100% accurate, but gives really solid advice for picking up new characters, cutting away bad habits and making the most of training mode. Plus it's free.

Yeah those were ridiculous lol

V's are way easier but stil still, not a fan of sim and fuck karin trial 6
To this day, the only SFIV trials I finished were T.Hawk, Gief, Ryu, and Sim. The rest were insane with 1F links galore. I think I lucked the 1F links in the ones I completed lol.

Ketch

Did you do his trials? Every character should have at least one trial that utilises their VT.
Once you've found it, you can change the options to repeat that one trial and practice it until you're happy. Then you could take that knowledge and apply the VT in other situations in training mode.

You could always search "SFV Guile VT combo" in YT or something, but you don't wanna push yourself too much too soon. Maybe practice using the gauge for V-Reversals (which consume one bar) instead at this stage. They will help give you space and cool your stun gauge when in uncomfortable situations.

If you don't mind doing some homework, you should definitely check out Gootecks' Fighting Game Fundamentals. Data is based on the SFV Beta, so won't be 100% accurate, but gives really solid advice for picking up new characters, cutting away bad habits and making the most of training mode. Plus it's free.

maybe I dont know how to use amazon (?) but it seems like that book is only available in the UK....

Also, Yea I did the trials, but I can't use the vtrigger in a combo like that during an actual match yet, I guess I'll try using my meter for reversals.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
maybe I dont know how to use amazon (?) but it seems like that book is only available in the UK....

Also, Yea I did the trials, but I can't use the vtrigger in a combo like that during an actual match yet, I guess I'll try using my meter for reversals.

Ah, my bad. Looks like it was only free for a limited time.
Should only be around $5 on amazon.com though.

It'll naturally take time before you can consistently apply VT combos to actual match situations. Need to acquire muscle memory and lose the fear first ;)
If you want something to oggle at/practice, I found this from a quick YT search. Seems like it's mostly fancy corner stuff, but it'll help you improve execution. I don't play Guile, so I can't really recommend anything more practical.

Edit: But yeah, don't be afraid to VR when things get messy.

I'm tempted to buy Laura's battle costume even though I don't play her... its just so fucking good.

best girl

Capcom rep confirmed that Ibuki's air throw invul is a glitch that they're trying to patch out. Hopefully before Evo.
Also Juri/Urien are both unfinished so get ready to be disappointed by how tame Urien is on his actual release lol

best girl

Capcom rep confirmed that Ibuki's air throw invul is a glitch that they're trying to patch out. Hopefully before Evo.
Also Juri/Urien are both unfinished so get ready to be disappointed by how tame Urien is on his actual release lol

Urien getting nerfed before he's even out? Say it ain't so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom