• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Is it a thing where the longer you play during one sitting the worse you get? Like just did a battle lounge where by the end I like couldn't even do a sonic boom anymore.

the longer you do anything in one sitting the worse you get after a certain point of fatigue

|OT5| Now with working online

|OT5| In survival, it's always tuesday

|OT5| The answer lies, after round 30 Bison

|OT5| YES. YES

|OT5| MY FIIIIGHT MONEEEEEEY (Edit: shit I just saw someone else had that idea)

Street Fighter V |OT5| For you, it was 8 frames. For me, it was Tuesday

Street Fighter V |OT5| Juri's still out on balance

Street FIghter V |OT5| You must defeat Macho Man Randy Zangief to stand a chance!

HardRojo

Still need to figure out Ibuki as my opponent, I get hit and mixed up with random shit after her target combos, so I'll have to hit the lab with her and see what she's able to do.

Zackat

Still need to figure out Ibuki as my opponent, I get hit and mixed up with random shit after her target combos, so I'll have to hit the lab with her and see what she's able to do.

I am freeeeeeeeee to ibuki right now. whenever I face her it is a complete beatdown.

DD-11

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209449552]Karin needs a fireball[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah. But if you look at the best characters in the game, most of them have invincible dps. Look at the worst and they have the worst wake up in the game.

Yeah yeah. But if you look at the best characters in the game, most of them have invincible dps. Look at the worst and they have the worst wake up in the game.

Chun-Li's invincible reversal is a charge move that requires one bar of meter.

Nash has no properly invincible reversal.

These characters are not good on the virtue of their reversals.

They have them, but it's not the reason they're top tier. Ryu, Chun, Ken, and Necalli have way more going for them than an invincible DP/reversal and without it they'd still be ridiculously strong characters.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I was thinking about this yesterday, actually. SF5 basically took a chainsaw to universal defensive options:

- no invincible backdash
- no focus
- no parry
- no pushblock
- V-Reversals exist, but they're arguably more costly here than in a game like SFA3 where you start with full meter and don't even need a full meter to make use of supers

Couple that with the existence of crush counters and it becomes pretty scary to try and reverse the momentum once the opponent gets going.

I feel like Capcom probably realized this at some point during development, which is why they (1) made some of the traditionally invulnerable SRK vulnerable on start-up, and (2) tacked on the counter-hit-on-recovery penalty to all invulnerable reversals in order to make mistakes more costly. It's still an incredibly valuable tool for a character to have, though.

DD-11

They have them, but it's not the reason they're top tier. Ryu, Chun, Ken, and Necalli have way more going for them than an invincible DP/reversal and without it they'd still be ridiculously strong characters.

Probably but it'd level the playing field. It's hard to tell because these characters get free passes on wake up often because they have to be respected. Nash is good but I've only seen infiltration play with him at that level.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If all characters can't have invincible wake ups, Than none should. The end.

You have to remember that the huge downside of invincible reversals is how tempting they are to throw out. Bad players will constantly attempt them, and likewise eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Also important is how long they take to recover from. Learning to read your opponent in general is a healthy exercise, but if you can see these particular moves coming, you can punish them easily and heavily. (It's been made even easier in SFV with the addition of crush counters.)

Ryu has the most invincibility on his DP of anybody, and Tokido almost never uses reversal DP. Infiltration is the best player in SFV and he doesn't even have access to the tool. Fuudo is the 2nd or 3rd best player out of Japan and he doesn't have a DP either.

I'll agree that they're extremely powerful tools that contribute to the strength of the top tier characters, but giving them as a universal mechanic only homogenizes the cast and forces some characters to be weakened in other areas.

Imagine Dhalsim with an invincible dp.

Just had a mixed experience tonight after finally getting my temporary ATI 5850 working. I guess I ran into a modder because when we both chose our characters it defaulted to Urien. I had quite a bit of fun tossing fireballs, using chariot tackle, messing with his overhead game and more, but it was annoying fighting a guy who clearly had far more Urien experience so I bounced after a couple of sets. The next guy got a set off me with an annoying Ibuki that kept moving forward, but for some reason the game defaulted back to the lobby when I ran it back and ate his Ibuki alive in the second set. Then he decides to pick his main Chun Li and I didn't stand a chance. The cunt is ridiculously hard to get away from or even approach with Alex. Her st.HP which was amazing in 3S is a ridiculous crush counter in SFV, but luckily Alex can at least stomp on her ass when she wants to CC elbow slashes. She and Ryu really suck the fun out of this game for me.
|OT5| Has SFV Been Forgotten?
Nah, but I wish I could forget SFV Chun Li.

Palom

I was getting sick of getting matched up with the same handful of people, so I changed my matchmaking settings to 3-5 bars instead. Being in the west coast US, I have better luck with 3-bar people in Japan than these assholes on a "5 bar" connection that are streaming Netflix while they're playing. So sick of these awful connections.

Sayad

... Then he decides to pick his main Chun Li and I didn't stand a chance. The cunt is ridiculously hard to get away from or even approach with Alex. Her st.HP which was amazing in 3S is a ridiculous crush counter in SFV, but luckily Alex can at least stomp on her ass when she wants to CC elbow slashes. She and Ryu really suck the fun out of this game for me.

Nah, but I wish I could forget SFV Chun Li.
Her standing HP isn't a crush counter move, I wish it was, but nope. :(
Also, if he get too comfortable throwing it out, jump on him more, its recovery on whiff is ass.

How's Alex against Ibuki? I played her against Vega a lot, seems like characters with good pokes shuts her off completely unless she has meter.

Fitts

Finished the story mode last night. I was thoroughly entertained. The
Gill
sequence during the credits was legit awesome though and I love that it ended with getting to beat
Ken's
ass because fuck
Ken

Finished the story mode last night. I was thoroughly entertained. The
Gill
sequence during the credits was legit awesome though and I love that it ended with getting to beat
Ken's
ass because fuck
Ken

And that
remixed Ryu theme
was so damn good.

Story mode music was so godlike. SFV definitely has my favorite OST of the series by far and is up there in terms of overall fighting game music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom