• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Balrog's theme also borrows a short part from his Alpha 3 theme.

Most of the time I'm of the opinion that Capcom ought to come up with new character themes instead of dipping to the same old SF2 well every time, but I'll take this too. They really did this score justice.

Her standing HP isn't a crush counter move, I wish it was, but nope. :(
Also, if he get too comfortable throwing it out, jump on him more, its recovery on whiff is ass.
Whatever that double palm move is. It's definitely a CC in SFV and it was a bitch of a move in 3S.
How's Alex against Ibuki? I played her against Vega a lot, seems like characters with good pokes shuts her off completely unless she has meter.
Stun City on both sides, but Ibuki players seem to love spending meter, so you should always be ready to bait EX DPs for the crush counter. You can't let her get away or she starts throwing kunai and you can't let her jump in on you, so you'll be tossing out lots of AA jabs, f.HP and carefully timed air knee strikes. Stomp and Stun Gun seem pointless against a jumpy Ibuki. A mix of cr.lp, cr.mp, cr.mk and lk elbow slahes might make them susceptible enough for a dash up powerbomb or grab. I don't v-reversal, but I think it's a real necessity against Ibuki, too.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit! Did all characters receive a remixed theme for story mode? It'd be great if we could choose them for regular play, since some of them were really awesome (Alex and Laura for example).
This game has so much awesome stuff just kind of hidden somewhere, they need to get it out there. They have so much character art, info and backstory on their site that should be in a wiki ingame. The soundtrack remixes should be selectable. And all the NPCs and stages from the story mode should atleast show up somewhere, maybe in training or arcade mode.

The Laura v Ken battle is so much better than the standard Laura theme, lol
Got a link?

Westlo

Holy shit! Did all characters receive a remixed theme for story mode? It'd be great if we could choose them for regular play, since some of them were really awesome (Alex and Laura for example).

I'm sure we'll get to use them in versus mode, just like the Akuma and Gouken themes in SFIV and those real dope rival/midboss/boss themes in SFxTK that weren't stuck in single player mode.... oh wait. Still don't understand why they kept Akuma and Gouken's themes for their shin boss battle and we had to suffer a lame ass Ryu remix theme when fighting them online... and SFxTK had pretty ehh music overall but Fukasawa hit out the park those 8 remixes... (waaay better remixes than the majority of his remixes in IV and V) and they were arcade mode only.. smh.

Edit - The remixes used in every part of Mishima Estate and Mad Gear Hideout were pretty dope too.

Hyun Sai

I finally did all trials and survivals (easy/normal) for every character, and Hard survival for Vega and Guile.

147 000 Fight Money left, and I still got Story Mode to do for a net 80K.

I think I'm ok for the rest of the season ^^.

But people in this thread keep telling me Cammy sucks and needs buffs.

Dat Overhead though ! Dat air grab ! Dat fireball ?

I finally did all trials and survivals (easy/normal) for every character, and Hard survival for Vega and Guile.

147 000 Fight Money left, and I still got Story Mode to do for a net 80K.

I think I'm ok for the rest of the season ^^.

thats what they want you to think

Nah I wouldn't say so, most of story themes loop much too often to be actual character themes/stage themes, they are generally at least 1:40 without a loop; the only true character theme in story mode is
decapre's
, and Ryu got a remix. Laura vs ken might be a remix as well.

There might be some stage themes in there, but most of the music sounds the same (as in thematically), so it's mostly just encounter based music.

Wait are people just pulling 200k FM for the last 2 characters out of their ass or something? Capcom hasn't show any indication that they'll do that.

Also, OT5|Shadalosers

DD-11

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209453572]Ryu has the most invincibility on his DP of anybody, and Tokido almost never uses reversal DP. Infiltration is the best player in SFV and he doesn't even have access to the tool. Fuudo is the 2nd or 3rd best player out of Japan and he doesn't have a DP either.

I'll agree that they're extremely powerful tools that contribute to the strength of the top tier characters, but giving them as a universal mechanic only homogenizes the cast and forces some characters to be weakened in other areas.

Imagine Dhalsim with an invincible dp.[/QUOTE]

The threat of a dp is a great physiological tool. But still, I'm more in favor of no invinsible dps for anyone.

Skilletor

The threat of a dp is a great physiological tool. But still, I'm more in favor of no invinsible dps for anyone.

I hate universal changes that increase homogeneity just for the sake of it.

Invincible DPs are fine. It's a risk. If you miss, you get punished like hell for it.

DD-11

I hate universal changes that increase homogeneity just for the sake of it.

Invincible DPs are fine. It's a risk. If you miss, you get punished like hell for it.

You get punished for all sorts of things, it's not exclusive to dps. As a zangief player it's frustrating that I can finally corner someone, usually at the expense of half my health bar only to get dped or try to bait one and lose an offensive opportunity. While ryu can jump in and safe pressure me all day long. it's a balance issue and it's a problem.

As a zangief player
I'm sorry but there's your problem right there.

You gotta pick a top tier, or at the very least someone who's not Zangief tier. Zangief is legitimately a weak character in this game right now.

Though that is partly just the matchup. Not every character in the game has a DP and yet still they can beat Zangief handily. Birdie has no DP, he either uses his armored reversal or his EX command grab which is throw invincible but not both and he has to spend meter for them both. Yet still he demolishes Zangief on account of his long range normals and his banana and air chain.

Chun-Li doesn't have a DP yet she can still beat Zangief. Nash doesn't have anything close to an invincible reversal yet he very easily beats Zangief.

DD-11

I'm sorry but there's your problem right there.

You gotta pick a top tier, or at the very least someone who's not Zangief tier. Zangief is legitimately a weak character in this game right now.

Top tier aka some one with a dp? Chun li has ex legs though. Every button Nash has is safe. Anyway, agree to disagree and move on.

My god guile is boring to play as and against. He's the only character I do not give rematches to. I grinded out a win against a super silver guile (timer in the red in all three rounds) and denying him the rematch was an amazing feeling i have to admit. Scrubby, yes, but I'd do it again.

Skilletor

You get punished for all sorts of things, it's not exclusive to dps. As a zangief player it's frustrating that I can finally corner someone, usually at the expense of half my health bar only to get dped or try to bait one and lose an offensive opportunity. While ryu can jump in and safe pressure me all day long. it's a balance issue and it's a problem.

Not everything has crush counter properties when you block it. No point in making a universal system change to neuter a reversal option only a few characters have, and one they get heavily punished for when you whiff.

DD-11

Not everything has crush counter properties when you block it. No point in making a universal system change to neuter a reversal option only a few characters have, and one they get heavily punished for when you whiff.

You don't need a crush counter to to rip a big damage punish. Like I said, let's put this discussion down, but I refuse to believe it's a coincidence that the characters in this game with invincible reversals are very near to the top of the tier list.

I'm playing around with story mode Urien in training mode.

Dude is really interesting.

For example - he can whiff punish into VT activation off of pretty much all his buttons, but then he gets a different combo depending on what range he's at.

IMO he's probably has the most technical combos in the entire game.

F+MP and B+HK also reset air opponents, meaning he can reset people into meaty mixups when they land on the reflector.

He can also do stuff like VT activation into sweep, then do a crossup knees and combo from there.

I think people who played him in 3S are going to be super happy with him in this - it feels like they wanted to keep his gameplay intact sans his unblockables.

He also has safe shoulder tackles from certain ranges. His LP and HP ones are both safe from maximum range, and they have some armour when he uses his V Skill.

The one thing he doesn't have is insanely high damage. But a lot of what you are doing is meterless. I'd say the best analogy for him is that he's Birdie with the grappling and items swapped for movement speed.

Jumping is legitimately too strong in this game. That's a problem, not invincible DPs.

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209484112]Jumping is legitimately too strong in this game. That's a problem, not invincible DPs.[/QUOTE]

Yup, jumping is a problem.

Skilletor

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209484112]Jumping is legitimately too strong in this game. That's a problem, not invincible DPs.[/QUOTE]

How would you fix that?

Adding juggle properties on CH when jumping so that you get combos? Fix hitboxes so that more normals can be used as AAs (not jabs, lololol).

Edzi

How would you fix that?

Adding juggle properties on CH when jumping so that you get combos? Fix hitboxes so that more normals can be used as AAs (not jabs, lololol).

I think something like that would be good. Make every AA hit act as a CH, and make it easier to get decent damage off every AA (but like you said, not jabs).

As it stands, most people can just hop around during matches and it typically works in their favor.

How would you fix that?

Yes fix anti airs to be more powerful, and make jabs shit at anti airing. Free mix up is dumb with Jab anti air.

It's sad when I'm guile and I try to duff someone with s.hp only to get counterhit..

Steroyd

Wait is that jump ins or neutral jumps?

Lots of characters can just jab you out of the air when you jump in lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom