• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Just played against my first rage quitter, at fuckin bronze no less.... feels bad, I was gonna win! Like, I've had people leave after the first match before, but never right in the middle of the last round like that... c'mon bro, you're bronze, how are you gonna get better?

TheOGB

Banned

Astrael

Okay, but what was the point of Necaili?

Remember that weird ass prologue with him wanting to eat souls? Yeah, that's all he does, but he's probably being controlled by the Illuminati. Kinda weird how he shows up when Urien wants to test Balrog, huh? He is most likely being controlled or monitored by them, but probably existed before SFV and wasn't created.

So he's a bio weapon of some sorts!

I apologize that this is kind of long but I felt like taking a crack at this question since I've been thinking a lot about it. So here's my theories on why he was there:
Necalli had two interlinked story arcs. The first began by addressing his motivation: Devouring Nash's wandering soul after he was killed. The Illuminati (perhaps not even aware of his existence) either accidentally interrupted him with their final experiment that temporarily brought Nash to life, or Necalli was drawn to Nash's soul because he hadn't properly "moved on" as the Illuminati worked to perfect their technique. Necalli was never part of their plans, as this occurred only in Nash's head while dead, sort of an afterlife "dream". But this was merely to establish that Necalli is always around, taking the lost or wandering souls of warriors. This is touched again on his final appearance when confronting Ryu: throughout the story Ryu was being tormented by the Satsui no Hado which essentially puts his soul at risk, thus becoming a lost soul like Nash's. Necalli was only driven to devour Ryu if he succumbed to the dark power, which is why when he finally mastered Satsui no Hado and restored the strength of his soul, Necalli was no longer necessary.

The second story is Bison's secret plan. Bison was well aware of Necalli's legend (as told by Dhalsim): putting the world in crisis would make Necalli manifest in the real world. Bison has pretty much always wanted Ryu's body for its power and the ability to contain it properly. The Satsui no Hado is established as linked in some way to Psycho Power by several characters over the course of the series, and of course Bison wants it and a body that can use it. By baiting out Necalli, Bison knew that Ryu (as well as himself) would be one of his most tempting targets and in turn would force the suppressed Satsui no Hado to completely take over. Bison later defeated Necalli to establish that if Necalli devours Ryu and absorbs the awakened evil power, than Bison could easily then take it for himself directly from Necalli. However, Ryu overcame the temptation and evolved to an even stronger power, which triggered the final confrontation with Bison. Bison was excited to learn there was an even more powerful energy than Satsui no Hado and wanted to see it for himself, as well as finally take Ryu's body, a vessel strong enough to contain it, for his own. So Necalli, being a neutral force of nature, was merely a pawn in Bison's plan to make Ryu "ready" for Bison's eventual ascension one way or another.

As for Balrog's prologue story (the only time Necalli actually appeared in one except for the Warrior Priest in his own prologue), this event occurred before operation C.H.A.I.N.S so canonically this is the first time Necalli appeared before street fighters in the real world. What we don't know is who Necalli was actually drawn to in this scene: Urien, Balrog, or Ed. As his later appearances would be around dark energy users, my bet here is that he was after Ed, being an echo of Bison. Urien's dialog here was pretty flippant and had a hint of urgency, he probably thought Necalli was just some sort of assassin (and given how weird Illuminati experiments were, didn't think anything of the mud man thing).

For me it makes most sense that Necalli was drawn to the real world by the threat of Psycho Power (and its cousin Satsui no Hado). Bison defeated Necalli so all he could do at the end was track down the vulnerable Ryu, until this was no longer necessary.

jett

D-Member
one can only hope

I really wish Ibuki and Balrog were good enough for people to have no qualms about using them at Evo.

When are we getting a balance patch for this friggin game anyway? Don't tell me we're stuck like this until 2017.

Laputa_94

Had a rough day in ranked was barely able to keep my super bronze tag. I have started to practice some more combos, have yet to be able to do them in an actual match though. The only good thing street fighter related thing I did today was watch Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, I actually liked it a lot.

Neoxon

I really wish Ibuki and Balrog were good enough for people to have no qualms about using them at Evo.

When are we getting a balance patch for this friggin game anyway? Don't tell me we're stuck like this until 2017.
Close.
Until after the Capcom Cup.

Neoxon

My modem has been acting weird for the past week. I can't even finish a complete set without the connection fucking up.

Watching this makes me want to drop the character. I'm having a hard time just applying pressure let alone pulling off setups like these.

I felt the same way watching Urien videos. I don't think the combos will be that hard. But the set ups and resets with all the charging seems kind of difficult. On top of that I've never played a charge character before.

I'll still give it a try but I'm not sure I can play him because he's charge. Maybe I'll just wait till next year when Gill comes out.

They both kick the shit out of Alex and Guile. I hope someone goes particularly far with Ibuki. She doesn't seem nearly as gimped.

Nothing wrong with ibuki or balrog besides the jump glitch on ibuki which is being fixed before EVO. They're plenty useable for EVO. The problem is that I can't imagine anyone legitimately thinking their two week character is enough to win EVO.

No balance patches till after Cap Cup which is December 2016, so yeah not till 2017. Not that we're really desperate for one or that we really need any major changes at all. Every character is good.

I felt the same way watching Urien videos. I don't think the combos will be that hard. But the set ups and resets with all the charging seems kind of difficult. On top of that I've never played a charge character before.

I'll still give it a try but I'm not sure I can play him because he's charge. Maybe I'll just wait till next year when Gill comes out.

If you're gonna play a charge character, start with Bison.

I really need to work on my stick focus. My execution is still shit, so it's gotta be placement and lack of practice.

I'm also dropping the amount of mains I have. Balrog isn't jelling with me. I might keep him around a while but I just can't rely on stupid shit like in 4 all day. Laura isn't as fun as Alex. So it's Rashid, Alex, Necaili, and Charlie for me. Maybe replace Rashid with Balrog. I love playing the different characters and all, but the lack of focus and being too spread out is hurting me.

How do you guys train "smart"? I feel like I put in too many hours of useless mashery. Maybe if I focus on a few things each day instead of tackling it all at a random, it'd be better for me.

Should have been the kind of dialog and VA in the story mode.

It is. It's just not in the Story Mode since it's in the Prologue stuff that of course isn't out yet.

This is ten times better than my assumption. I was hoping for Necaili to be stronger, but what are ya gonna do?

I mean we have Xian's Fang in Top 8 winner of tonight's Shangai tournament... And Tokido, Mago, Haitani didn't make it ^^.

This premiere tourney's Top 8 is Ken, FANG, Cammy, Mika, Zangief, Cammy, Chun, and Chun.

I thought FANG, Cammy, and Zangief were ass tho.

Edit: Momochi got eliminated before top 8 as well.

Steroyd

This premiere tourney's Top 8 is Ken, FANG, Cammy, Mika, Zangief, Cammy, Chun, and Chun.

I thought FANG, Cammy, and Zangief were ass tho.

Edit: Momochi got eliminated before top 8 as well.

Cammy? No! The common thing said about Cammy is that she's squishy and "honest" winning with her is nowhere near the level of work that FANG and Gief have to put in.

FluxWaveZ

Is there a reason some people will just let the 10-second timer count down to 0 instead of simply ending a set in matchmaking? It's just a few seconds, but I don't get why people do this sometimes instead of just quitting out. Seems like a waste of time.

Sometimes they're just no longer behind the screen during that countdown ^^

I've had it happen that the same person who beat me and let the clock count to 0 was the same person I had gotten matched up with moments later. Weird behavior.

Hyun Sai

Is there a reason some people will just let the 10-second timer count down to 0 instead of simply ending a set in matchmaking? It's just a few seconds, but I don't get why people do this sometimes instead of just quitting out. Seems like a waste of time.

Sometimes they're just no longer behind the screen during that countdown ^^

GorillaJu

Does anyone know if there's an official Urien concept art image?

Like this one
Street-Fighter-V-Mika-1.jpg

Soulstar

I've had it happen that the same person who beat me and let the clock count to 0 was the same person I had gotten matched up with moments later. Weird behavior.

I've done this a couple of times today because I'm watching SGDQ on my other monitor. Something crazy would happen in a run and then I will realize a second too late that I still have another match.

that's definitely
that stage we played on in the story mode right? Vega threw his mask off standing on one of those big ass guns.
Or am I mistaken?

no that's it, same way the stage in mika's art is also in story mode.

Edit: well it seems mika's summer outfit is next in line, can't really tell for sure since this stream is an absolute dumpster fire.

Just played against my first rage quitter, at fuckin bronze no less.... feels bad, I was gonna win! Like, I've had people leave after the first match before, but never right in the middle of the last round like that... c'mon bro, you're bronze, how are you gonna get better?

Faced my first one too. A Guile named Cruzzo got wrecked and quit out in the start of the 2nd round but got me again twice more and stayed for the assbeatings.

I needed those ranked points though; I'm treading water here!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209592997]I didn't know command normals could autocorrect.

jRWD5v.gif
[/QUOTE]

I've had that happen once or twice in a few cross-up situations with birdie's df.hp

Edzi

I know right. As a Birdie player, I love it.

Just cr.mp or cr.hp xx banana all day everyday.

It's killing me. I have no answer for it.

I've fought multiple Golds tonight who literally just hop around, even from full screen. Just hopping. And it works.

Ketch

Faced my first one too. A Guile named Cruzzo got wrecked and quit out in the start of the 2nd round but got me again twice more and stayed for the assbeatings.

I needed those ranked points though; I'm treading water here!

What rank are you at?

I'm still in rookie, almost 500 points.

It's killing me. I have no answer for it.

I've fought multiple Golds tonight who literally just hop around, even from full screen. Just hopping. And it works.
Which character do you play? Sometimes AAing isn't necessarily the right call if you have mobility in your favour. You can take advantage of it to do stuff like get your opponent in a corner with no real effort.

Edzi

Which character do you play? Sometimes AAing isn't necessarily the right call if you have mobility in your favour. You can take advantage of it to do stuff like get your opponent in a corner with no real effort.

Alex, and I'm ass at using/converting anything off of his jab AA.

Alex, and I'm ass at using/converting anything off of his jab AA.
Well, that's fairly straightforward.

You gotta use st.hk or f.hp or Command grab or even a regular throw.

You can also dash under to get the opponent to a corner and do a cr.lk xx st.lp xx light slash.

Alex's options in that situation are fairly straightforward, you just gotta use em right. Practice makes perfect.

Edzi

Well, that's fairly straightforward.

You gotta use st.hk or f.hp or Command grab or even a regular throw.

You can also dash under to get the opponent to a corner and do a cr.lk xx st.lp xx light slash.

Alex's options in that situation are fairly straightforward, you just gotta use em right. Practice makes perfect.

St. Hk isn't great, and both that and f.hp are really slow. Grabs aren't really the best idea when they're hopping around. The risk reward seems insanely skewed, since if I hit them when they jump, they take barely any damage. If I miss, I'm eating a full combo.

St. Hk isn't great, and both that and f.hp are really slow. Grabs aren't really the best idea when they're hopping around. The risk reward seems insanely skewed, since if I hit them when they jump, they take barely any damage. If I miss, I'm eating a full combo.

I'll give you the st.hk but that f.hp is insanely good in that situation. If your opponent is just a "hold-up" person then don't use command grabs and you can still beat the crap out of them.

Edzi

I'll give you the st.hk but that f.hp is insanely good in that situation. If you're opponent is just a "hold-up" person then don't use command grabs and you can still beat the crap out of them.

Again, all easier said than done, and the risk reward is still skewed imo. Obviously, the solution is to just get better, but it doesn't stop it from feeling like legit BS.

It's just frustrating because the game seems to have evolved to the point where this is normal play, and that's really disappointing/annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom