• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGs. I really gotta get a hang of using b.mp to AA, seems like most of the time it's either to early and whiffs, or too late and I get counter hit.

Same here, I'll either not dash cancel like I intended, or the 2nd hit will end up hitting them and resetting them when I didn't want to.

Managed to finish prepping food faster than I thought, anyone up for some more matches?

Zackat

ryu

I swear it feels like I can't punish any of his dash moved except the overhead one

have you tried st.LK --> LK. tatsu? it punishes any of them that aren't spaced correctly. If they are spaced right they are pretty hard to punish. The ones that are done from farther away can be punished with a cr.MK to anything if they aren't spaced correctly.

Ryu's CA can also punish all of his dash moves.

Buckled and got the game. Was gonna try and wait it out, but couldn't be patient any longer. Haven't played with any intent to be competent in about 15 years, so this should be interesting. Been futzing around with Cammy in trials and it's been alright so far. Just working on fundamentals, getting my muscle memory to a point where I can perform moves and combos consistently for now. I can see what people were saying about the input buffer being a lot more forgiving compared to SFIV. =O

Will try playing against people when I get comfortable with a character and have brushed the cob webs off my dexterity. =S

By the way, how do I unlock the summer costumes? =)

Welcome :)

Should the mood for color grind affect you, use this link.
Thanks for this. I was looking all over for Karin's summer costume colors.
There is one good thing to playing a character with no wake up, no reversals, no anti airs or any defensive option really. Wake up super hits 9/10 times.
Not just that. Point black supers to avoid a chip death are great. That is what Ryu players get for thinking they can get a chip death right in my face.
I wonder what they'll be announcing at Evo. Second supers and/or v reversals?
Third Strike classic costumes and stages for specific characters.

Mexico stage+thong

Subway+overalls and long hair

Ibuki stage+whatever the fuck her getup is

don't play MOBA or you may die from sticker shock if you think 4 bucks is a lot.

I would posit that they made characters that cheap because they can charge 4 bucks for a costume.
That's true. Would be nice if that was the case I guess. Ah well, I just hope eventually Capcom releases costume packs or some kind of season pass. I like options :)

Zackat

If they really are planning on doing another disc that has all Year 1 content on it, a year 1 costume bundle probably isn't out of the question.

I just don't play so many of the characters that idk if I would buy it.

And also that Ken costume is trash and devalues any bundle.

Aren't MOBAs typically F2P tho? SFV is a retail game.

I guess. I just kind of think of the 60 bucks as unlocking the 16 characters and all those modes. I also have strong opinions about how much gaf values 20 bucks and what a 40 dollar game is vs. a 60 dollar game. But anyway, if they had gone f2p and charged 6-10 bucks for every character and even more for skins people would be even more angry about all of this. No winning at all.

I'll drop out if it's too laggy because I'm in the UK and I don't want it to be no fun for you to play against me if network conditions are bad.

GGs man, but I think that's all I can take of this teleporting around. It was pretty tense at first but then I just started getting frustrated at the end lol.

Great Rashid though. Making me want to go back to maining him. Still not sure if I should switch to Ibuki or not.

Whales

Banned
have you tried st.LK --> LK. tatsu? it punishes any of them that aren't spaced correctly. If they are spaced right they are pretty hard to punish. The ones that are done from farther away can be punished with a cr.MK to anything if they aren't spaced correctly.

Ryu's CA can also punish all of his dash moves.

thanks a bunch dude, ill try it out

most of the time since im used to spammingg ryu's godly mp I just try to punish everything with it but it doesn't work :(

GGs man, but I think that's all I can take of this teleporting around. It was pretty tense at first but then I just started getting frustrated at the end lol.

Great Rashid though. Making me want to go back to maining him. Still not sure if I should switch to Ibuki or not.

Yeah it was pretty bad.

My inputs were alright but the roll back was pretty ridiculous. There was a point in there where it told me I stunned you but then it rolled back to me being hit by your critical art which KOed me, heh. I'm sure you had moments like that on your end too.

Your Ibuki seemed really good. I think you would beat me easily if you just used your normals a bit more. Like your cr.mp (I think) as an anti air, and cr.mk is a really good poke.

Your throw techs seemed on point too, and yeah the first set was really tense. One of the closest I've had. I'm sure we'd have had a great time without the connection quality being crap.

Zackat

thanks a bunch dude, ill try it out

most of the time since im used to spammingg ryu's godly mp I just try to punish everything with it but it doesn't work :(

oh and any of the dashes that hit low (can't remember the name of the move) are really negative and you can punish the shit out of it if he is in range. If the Balrog is good at spacing then it is pretty much impossible I have found. I think Flux plays Balrog now so he probably knows. Probably a few others too.

I can't beat Guile. Still feels impossible :p

Had some good games with AugmentitButter earlier though, where I demonstrated the fact above extremely well.

I tried neutral jumping his fireballs but at mid it doesn't gain much ground and a neutral jump on the slow fireball seems risky. Jumping forward or neutral jumping anywhere close to him is also risky because his flash kick seems to have pretty insane range.

I managed to roll under a few of the fireballs (Rashid) but can't roll under the slow ones (feels like i frames don't last long enough) or the ex's, or the double v-skill ones.

If I do push Guile to the corner, it's not as if it feel as though I'm at an advantage either. His damage, combos and frame traps are hard to deal with. If I was another character with higher damage output or more mixup options then sure, I can see how working towards the corner places you at an advantage, but Rashid doesn't pose the same thread that other rush down characters do in that space.

ggs. can't help you much here i'm afraid until we play more. i don't encounter many rashid, maybe once a week? so it will definitely help me as well. my nash needs more training as well. couldn't antiair for shit :eek:

i still wonder why guile has 950 hp and stun. can anyone explain that? seems to be a 1k char traditionally afair.

Yeah it was pretty bad.

My inputs were alright but the roll back was pretty ridiculous. There was a point in there where it told me I stunned you but then it rolled back to me being hit by your critical art which KOed me, heh. I'm sure you had moments like that on your end too.

Your Ibuki seemed really good. I think you would beat me easily if you just used your normals a bit more. Like your cr.mp (I think) as an anti air, and cr.mk is a really good poke.

Your throw techs seemed on point too, and yeah the first set was really tense. One of the closest I've had. I'm sure we'd have had a great time without the connection quality being crap.

By the time I saw you in the air it already showed you attacking me, I just kept blocking since I couldn't react to the jump ins very well. There were a few times where you could've juggled me with mixer after your vtrigger, but it might've been hard to confirm with the lag.

I rarely use eagle kick as Rashid, but I liked your use of the short range version to stop in front of me into a normal, good stuff.

We'll have to try again some other time, maybe if we're lucky it'll be a bit better.

ggs. can't help you much here i'm afraid until we play more. i don't encounter many rashid, maybe once a week? so it will definitely help me as well. my nash needs more training as well. couldn't antiair for shit :eek:

i still wonder why guile has 950 hp and stun. can anyone explain that? seems to be a 1k char traditionally afair.

Rashid also has 950 hp and stun as well and I don't understand that either. For instance Necalli has generally better normals, more damage, a better v trigger, a meterless reversal, jab anti airs and plenty of tricks that place him at a greater advantage when placing pressure (dive kick, command grab), yet he gets 1000 health / stun.

It's pretty obvious Rashid got the short end of the stick as far as 'rush down' characters go. That's why I'm going to sub Rashid and play Necalli soon. Rashid is still good for matchups like Gief, Birdy, Laura, Alex, Dhalsim etc... y'know, the characters you never see online, but it's rough against some of the stronger and more popular members of the cast.

But for Guile, it seems like for some characters it might be hard to get in, so they wanted it to be more rewarding when they do get there. Guile's super popular now and is generally considered to have favourable matchups against much of the cast, so I think the health drop helps balance him out a little.

By the time I saw you in the air it already showed you attacking me, I just kept blocking since I couldn't react to the jump ins very well. There were a few times where you could've juggled me with mixer after your vtrigger, but it might've been hard to confirm with the lag.

I rarely use eagle kick as Rashid, but I liked your use of the short range version to stop in front of me into a normal, good stuff.

We'll have to try again some other time, maybe if we're lucky it'll be a bit better.

Ah that makes sense. I know I had to react faster than normal to anti air you too. I feel like not blocking jump ins kills you though, as does any scenario where you give up frame advantage for free. Maybe try sliding away if it's laggy, not much timing required there and it gets you out of pressure.

I'm not sure I can blame lag for all of my drops with Yssar, I sometimes just get surprised by when Yssarr hits, and other times I'm right below it and its hard to tell which side I'm on.

Yeah the LK eagle spike is interesting, it's unsafe though. I fail at spacing sometimes and then instead of stopping short it hits you which is very unsafe. I think you can still punish it with lights though but people generally don't press buttons when they see it coming at them, so long as you don't do it too often. :)

What I need to get into the habbit of doing is using MP spinning mixer to end combos instead of LK eagle spike because mixer lets me place pressure whereas eagle spike gives you space. It does about 30 less damage though but I think it's worth it... there were also times where I could have followed up with super if I had used mixer, but I always forget :(

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thanks for this. I was looking all over for Karin's summer costume colors.

Not just that. Point black supers to avoid a chip death are great. That is what Ryu players get for thinking they can get a chip death right in my face.

Third Strike classic costumes and stages for specific characters.

Mexico stage+thong

Subway+overalls and long hair

Ibuki stage+whatever the fuck her getup is

I've learned to really look for super confirms off of stuff like random jumps and off dudes who love going ham on my wakeup like a 100 percent of the time. Na dog. Hold this 340 real quick. I concur on the evo news though. I'm hoping that its something about content coming sooner and something about s2 or down the line.

Yeah the LK eagle spike is interesting, it's unsafe though. I fail at spacing sometimes and then instead of stopping short it hits you which is very unsafe. I think you can still punish it with lights though but people generally don't press buttons when they see it coming at them, so long as you don't do it too often. :)

What I need to get into the habbit of doing is using MP spinning mixer to end combos instead of LK eagle spike because mixer lets me place pressure whereas eagle spike gives you space. It does about 30 less damage though but I think it's worth it... there were also times where I could have followed up with super if I had used mixer, but I always forget :(

The unsafeness is pretty much why I never use the eagle kick besides a combo ender in the corner. Ending with mixer is really way better in order to keep the pressure going. We all know how much work he needs to do sometimes to get a kill.

My favorite use for v trigger after people started figuring out the mix-ups as to just use it as an AA, dash then super if I had meter or corner carry with ex mixer. Are you planning on sticking with Rashid?

Rashid also has 950 hp and stun as well and I don't understand that either. For instance Necalli has generally better normals, more damage, a better v trigger, a meterless reversal, jab anti airs and plenty of tricks that place him at a greater advantage when placing pressure (dive kick, command grab), yet he gets 1000 health / stun.

It's pretty obvious Rashid got the short end of the stick as far as 'rush down' characters go. That's why I'm going to sub Rashid and play Necalli soon. Rashid is still good for matchups like Gief, Birdy, Laura, Alex, Dhalsim etc... y'know, the characters you never see online, but it's rough against some of the stronger and more popular members of the cast.

But for Guile, it seems like for some characters it might be hard to get in, so they wanted it to be more rewarding when they do get there. Guile's super popular now and is generally considered to have favourable matchups against much of the cast, so I think the health drop helps balance him out a little.

necalli is my nemesis, but i rarely fight him for some reason. be nice to fight him more. i get alex and laura all the time. laura that rq alot too. birdy is indeed rare. i didn't know guile was considered popular. he doesn't get far in big tourneys. i think people play him because it's tradition.

The unsafeness is pretty much why I never use the eagle kick besides a combo ender in the corner. Ending with mixer is really way better in order to keep the pressure going. We all know how much work he needs to do sometimes to get a kill.

My favorite use for v trigger after people started figuring out the mix-ups as to just use it as an AA, dash then super if I had meter or corner carry with ex mixer. Are you planning on sticking with Rashid?

I was probably going to try and main Necalli alongside Rashid because he fits the way I want to play. As I say, can do everything Rashid does but he does it better, with more defensive options, greater sustainability and more damage output. He's straight up a better character. The single advantage Rashid has is cr.HP which is one of the best pokes in the game.

I need to get a lot better because a couple of my friends at University are entering the Capcom major at Birmingham and they want me to come along. I don't expect to win but I'd like to at least perform reasonably well in my pool.

Once my MSc dissertation is submitted on the 26th, I'll try to put the time in.

Whales

Banned
GGs ShotoXabi, thanks for the balrog practice!

I swear my reactions are so shit I get hit from fullscreen straight punches :(

Good games whales. Great mixups with Ryu
thanks dude. Those balrog super confirms were nice, and overall you were just really good. Especially at anti-airing me ! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom