• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

What were they thinking with premium costumes not getting the full color set upon purchase.

1ssu1W5.jpg

Skilletor

I'd have 0 problems with unlocking colors for premium costumes assuming the way to unlock them was actually fun. Survival is ass though, so just give me the damn colors for them instead.

Fuck man, I just want Bonita Premium 10 so bad ._.

Unlocking colors is never going to be fun. Think about it, you have four outfits available with Karin and you have to go through the same shit four times to get all the colors?

Fuck that noise. ALL colors should be tied to one metric and reaching that metric unlocks all available colors at that level for all outfits that you own.

Pompadour

Unlocking colors is never going to be fun. Think about it, you have four outfits available with Karin and you have to go through the same shit four times to get all the colors?

Fuck that noise. ALL colors should be tied to one metric and reaching that metric unlocks all available colors at that level for all outfits that you own.

They should just be tied to Character level, with color 10 unlocking at level 30. It's so bizarre 11-15 both require a certain level and FM. It should be one or the other.

I disagree with that. There are certainly ways to do it where it'd be fun to keep unlocking, or at least done through a well paced and satisfying matter.

I don't believe Capcom or most devs in general know a great way to do it. Fuck even I don't have the answer for that, but "just fuck it give them everything immediately" should only be the answer if you can't think of anything else that's creative and good.

Skilletor

I disagree with that. There are certainly ways to do it where it'd be fun to keep unlocking, or at least done through a well paced and satisfying matter.

I don't believe Capcom or most devs in general know a great way to do it. Fuck even I don't have the answer for that, but "just fuck it give them everything immediately" should only be the answer if you can't think of anything else that's creative and good.

I definitely think "give them everything immediately" is the answer for things you've paid real money for.

I definitely think "give them everything immediately" is the answer for things you've paid real money for.

I can meet somewhere in the middle when it comes to rm purchases. I definitely think giving them a lot more to start with than with regular costumes (like 10 different colors), with even more colors to unlock would be a much better way to handle it. When you're paying $4 per costume, having only 10 colors max per costume is bad regardless of whether you immediately get them all or have to unlock them

Skilletor

I can meet somewhere in the middle when it comes to rm purchases. I definitely think giving them a lot more to start with than with regular costumes (like 10 different colors), with even more colors to unlock would be a much better way to handle it. When you're paying $4 per costume, having only 10 colors max per costume is bad regardless of whether you immediately get them all or have to unlock them

I'd be okay with that.

Whales

Banned

well, i'd rather have ''give me everything'' than having to play this garbage of a survival mode

Also, the fact that completing survival with a character only gives a color for THE COSTUME YOU USED and not ALL OF THEM is fucking stupid

well, i'd rather have ''give me everything'' than having to play this garbage of a survival mode

Also, the fact that completing survival with a character only gives a color for THE COSTUME YOU USED and not ALL OF THEM is fucking stupid

100% agree with you.

My point is that there's much better ways to do it then survival, and more creative ways to do it than "give them everything immediately." The latter should only be used if you can't think of any good and creative methods.

Whales

Banned
100% agree with you.

My point is that there's much better ways to do it then survival, and more creative ways to do it than "give them everything immediately." The latter should only be used if you can't think of any good and creative methods.

USF4's system was alright, wasn't it? Play matches with your character and unlock colors that way

''hit 5 CAs to unlock color 10''
''hit someone with a shoryuken 100 times to unlock color 9''

not very good ideas but still better than survival :/

I should've bought this game on PC to use that survival mode tbh

Skilletor

Same, tho I was motivated by the colors..

..and of course when my friends came over they didn't even change colors for their characters!

I'm all like "use color 6 dammit!" hahah..

It was fun the first time my friends realized I'd unlocked all the outfits and colors. And then the disappointment when we had to play on PS4 again.

USF4's system was alright, wasn't it? Play matches with your character and unlock colors that way

character specific requirements is a pretty neat idea.

character specific requirements is a pretty neat idea.

While it is a cool idea, it also means it would be difficult for people to unlock all colours for all characters on all costumes. I only want to unlock stuff for using my PS4 as a tournament setup so I would appreciate a more homogenized (?) way of unlocking.

Those are far better ideas than survival. In fact, arguably my biggest disappointment atm is that they arent updating the modes already in game to adapt with the meta. Taking the trials atm, why not update it so that it has users practice combos that have been figured out by the pros to be the most optimal. Chun's airlegs into her bnb that all of the top Chuns use is pretty much essential if you want to get good with her, so why not integrate it and replace it with one of her useless j.hk/j.hp combos.

Then do things like "use Chun-lis bnb combo 10 times in a match" to unlock color 17 or something.

Though honestly that's what i imagine the dailies are gonna be, which is it's own seperate beast of a conversation.

Fuck even I don't have the answer for that, but "just fuck it give them everything immediately" should only be the answer if you can't think of anything else that's creative and good.

Gamers are weird. They say they want everything up front...but, the fact is that when you make people work to unlock stuff, it adds replay value and gives people something to play for, no matter how much we "hate" it. It also makes the rewards sweeter when you finally DO get them.

Back in the day, that was actually the NORM.

The challenge is what motivated people to play longer, harder, better. I mean, Summer Games Done Quick just ended, and you can see how FIERCELY some of these games made you work to get the rewards you sought.

I feel like that's the old school vibe that Capcom was trying to invoke.

Gamers are weird. They say they want everything up front...but, the fact is that when you make people work to unlock stuff, it adds replay value and gives people something to play for, no matter how much we "hate" it. It also makes the rewards sweeter when you finally DO get them.

The challenge is what motivated people to play longer, harder, better. I mean, Summer Games Done Quick just ended, and you can see how FIERCELY some of these games made you work to get the rewards you sought.

I think you are giving Capcom FAR too much credit. I'd rather just have the colours unlocked from the start. I see no reward in unlocking them, this game rewards in pure skill when playing other people. There is no reward against the AI, there is no improvement and when you win it's usually through bullshit or random chance.

Pompadour

All games need to follow the Smash system where you can unlock things multiple ways. So unlock a color by playing Survival, raising character level, or buying it with FM on the store.

Zackat

I unlocked all the colors for my premium costume in about 3 minutes. I hated that three minutes and was glad I could go back to playing when it was over. That mode isn't fun or anywhere in the same ballpark as some of the games you are talking about. I am amazed that it made it through to the end because it is one of the most boring single player modes I have ever played in a video game.

Shadoken

I think you are giving Capcom FAR too much credit. I'd rather just have the colours unlocked from the start. I see no reward in unlocking them, this game rewards in pure skill when playing other people. There is no reward against the AI, there is no improvement and when you win it's usually through bullshit or random chance.

Thats apparently not what the dev team thinks.

Ayano thinks that the training mode tutorial when you first boots up the game helps casuals players a lot, and that if you can beat hell mode in survival, it means you're ready for online play.

Skilletor

Having to do the same shit for every single costume that I earn and buy has nothing at all to with ANYTHING like SGDQ. That's a test of skill and dedication. Unlocking colors of SF5 is anything but.

Not everything was better "back in the day." Hell, just last generation I got every color for an outfit I bought, and it was cheaper than it is now.

Shadoken

Idk man .... Poongko did say Infiltration doesnt practice with anybody much , and Infiltration also said online is bad. Which can only mean one thing... Survival Hell Grind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xeteh

Yeah, I swear some rounds in survival come down to how aggressive the AI decides to be. Its so random and frustrating, I can't even say how much time I've spent in survival and I still can't complete hard.

Shadoken

I think Survival would be more fun if they at least had good modifiers in it , like different Juggle properties on some moves, 2v1 like Alpha 3. Something to make it more unique,quirky and less mundane. Also it only uses the base cast , not any of the DLC chars. I wonder if this would ever change.

Syntsui

I think Survival would be more fun if they at least had good modifiers in it , like different Juggle properties on some moves, 2v1 like Alpha 3. Something to make it more unique,quirky and less mundane. Also it only uses the base cast , not any of the DLC chars. I wonder if this would ever change.

If would be 100x better if you could choose any modifier you wanted, no RNG involved; if there was an option to retry after failing for the price of all your points; and if there were minigames like the cars/barrels/basketball.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

This is the most infuriating bullshit you've posted yet.

This is a fighting game. The ONLY motivation necessary is winning a fight against your opponent. Adding bells and whistles for the sole purpose of getting people to grind single player content is just stupid. Neither the player nor Capcom benefit from that type of engagement.

And the tougher the challenge the sweeter the reward? Yeah, when it's actually a skill-based challenge. Survival is a challenge because it's fucking boring. 80 percent of any given run is spent fighting opponents that barely fight back and can't defend themselves. Then at the last minute, after it's wasted all your fucking time, you get low health from the RNG and an opponent that plays radically differently, reading inputs and doing lengthy combos. Playing through Hell difficulty literally requires more time than I have on any given day to play video games.

Survival mode is trash from top to bottom and the fact that you'd defend it with this "kids these days" bullshit completely cements the fact that no one should take your opinions of this game as measured or reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom