• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh nice... Maybe we should try playing sometime when I am back in India. Though am not sure how the connection is this time around , it wasn't good during SF4 days.

Funnily enough the guy I am rooming with for EVO is from Pak FGC too lol.

Yeah, most definitely. I did get to play matches with someone from Bangladesh and someone from Sri Lanka and they were fine, though it's been a while since I played an online game with anyone from India. At least one that wasn't server based.

The ugly fact about Survival is that if you are a SP only player or don't have Plus like me, then that's practically the only way you can play the game right now.

I also second that they need to let us choose or own modifiers instead of this random crap. Also, they need to update it with new cast and stages since it's getting really tiresome to go through the same waves with same backgrounds over and over and over again.

You ever played any of the other games before?

Not really. Mainly just at a friends house, we played 2 or 3 different KoFs and I picked random characters and tried out some combos. Never really played any fighting games (seriously, at least) before SFV so this is gonna be a great experience.

I've already started looking at some youtube tutorials and stuff teaching fighting game mechanics that are exclusive to KoF but I feel like I'm not accomplishing much since I don't actually have my hands on the game to try them out.

EDIT: Though one of the few things that I do remember is that Yamazaki is straight up boss.

vg260

I can meet somewhere in the middle when it comes to rm purchases. I definitely think giving them a lot more to start with than with regular costumes (like 10 different colors), with even more colors to unlock would be a much better way to handle it. When you're paying $4 per costume, having only 10 colors max per costume is bad regardless of whether you immediately get them all or have to unlock them

When you bought the costumes that came out for Ultra, you got 20 colors unlocked immediately, and it was awesome. That's the only way to do it for costumes you buy. If you buy a costume in SFV, you should get at least 10 colors unlocked immediately.

However coming off Ultra with that in mind, and how easy it is to alter colors in SFV (just number value changes, not different textures, from my understanding), AND with them charging 4x as much, they should give you 20 unlocked. Costumes are a horrible value compared to Ultra's.

The God

Finally completed Nash's 8th trial and I have no idea what I did differently than the previous 10 million attempts, even with input display on :/

Not really. Mainly just at a friends house, we played 2 or 3 different KoFs and I picked random characters and tried out some combos. Never really played any fighting games (seriously, at least) before SFV so this is gonna be a great experience.

I've already started looking at some youtube tutorials and stuff teaching fighting game mechanics that are exclusive to KoF but I feel like I'm not accomplishing much since I don't actually have my hands on the game to try them out.

EDIT: Though one of the few things that I do remember is that Yamazaki is straight up boss.

It's going to be a bit of an adjustment from SFV but at least you are reading on mechanics before you get into it. I know steam had 98 and 02 on sale for like $3 would have been good to get them and play around with it as I think the game is going to feel closer to those games than to 13.

I unlocked all the colors for my premium costume in about 3 minutes. I hated that three minutes and was glad I could go back to playing when it was over. That mode isn't fun or anywhere in the same ballpark as some of the games you are talking about. I am amazed that it made it through to the end because it is one of the most boring single player modes I have ever played in a video game.

This is the most infuriating bullshit you've posted yet.

This is a fighting game. The ONLY motivation necessary is winning a fight against your opponent. Adding bells and whistles for the sole purpose of getting people to grind single player content is just stupid. Neither the player nor Capcom benefit from that type of engagement.

Then, I hope you were just as "infuriated" by MK9 and MKX crypts, where you have to grind for gold and run around doing "non-fight related" crap just to unlock some costumes and fatalities.

SF4 make you jump through hoops to get Seth.

Tekken games used to make you beat the game with everybody to unlock all the characters. Soul Calibur, too.

I remember DOA1 for PS1 making you beat the game a bajillion times to unlock all the costumes.

This isn't new to me, so maybe that's why I'm not as "infuriated" as some of you. That's what fighting games...no, video games have been doing for decades. They make you play the game to unlock stuff. Sometimes the tasks are tedious or difficult...hence the reward.

I'd love it if colors were easier to unlock (and they will be). But, I'm also not going to sit here and act like SF5 committed some unprecedented cardinal sin of gaming.
"Beat [X mode] to unlock [Y reward]". Been there, done that.

Skilletor

Then, I hope you were just as "infuriated" by MK9 and MKX crypts, where you have to grind for gold and run around doing "non-fight related" crap just to unlock some costumes and fatalities.

Tekken games used to make you beat the game with everybody to unlock all the characters. Soul Calibur, too.

I remember DOA1 for PS1 making you beat the game a bajillion times to unlock all the costumes.

This isn't new, to me, so maybe that's why I'm not as "infuriated" as some of you. That's what fighting games...no, video games have been doing for decades. They make you play the game to unlock stuff. Sometimes the tasks are tedious or difficult...hence the reward.

I'd love it if colors were easier to unlock (and they will be). But, I'm also not going to sit here and act like SF5 committed some unprecedented cardinal sin of gaming.

You're comparing games with different modes and methods to unlock characters and entirely different outfits...with SF5 and needing to unlock COLORS ONLY THROUGH SURVIVAL MODE even with outfits you've paid real money for.

Okay.

If he doesn't want it. Ill take it :p.

I only had it on 360 and that console is long gone.

Word.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

This isn't new to me, so maybe that's why I'm not as "infuriated" as some of you. That's what fighting games...no, video games have been doing for decades. They make you play the game to unlock stuff. Sometimes the tasks are tedious or difficult...hence the reward.

You and KingBroly ought to be locked in an SF5 thread together all to your selves.

Survival Mode is different bullshit different day, but at some level you gotta wonder why Capcom even regressed in that regard. MVC2, as I've said before, is absolute bullshit unless you abuse the system.

Neoxon

I...I...want this to happen.
giphy.gif

Zackat

Krypt was a sidegame that you unlocked with basically fightmoney crap. You are delusional. Survival mode is the absolute worst piece of single player gaming I have played in years. I am all for playing the game to unlock things, just don't put it behind this monstrosity. If they made it even half as good as towers in MK I would be fine with it, but instead we got this.

Geez you really are drinking that capcom kool-aid.

DD-11

Krypt was a sidegame that you unlocked with basically fightmoney crap. You are delusional. Survival mode is the absolute worst piece of single player gaming I have played in years. I am all for playing the game to unlock things, just don't put it behind this monstrosity. If they made it even half as good as towers in MK I would be fine with it, but instead we got this.

Geez you really are drinking that capcom kool-aid.

MKX crypt was hot garbage and just as bad as survival. I hated it more because you never knew what you were going to get, and the maze like design even made using maps and guides difficult. It was nonsense busy work, and I'd rather just play the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I see you have no response to my central point which is that survival mode is bad. No one would be complaining about playing something that was fun and well-designed to unlock things.

I like unlocking things through gameplay. I have no objection whatsoever to the concept.

Zackat

MKX crypt was hot garbage and just as bad as survival. I hated it more because you never knew what you were going to get, and the maze like design even made using maps and guides difficult. It was nonsense busy work, and I'd rather just play the game.

I looked up where everything I wanted to get in krypt was and once I got it I never bothered with it again. Nowhere as bad as survival.

DD-11

I looked up where everything I wanted to get in krypt was and once I got it I never bothered with it again. Nowhere as bad as survival.

Good for you. I wanted more stuff than you did. it doesn't matter how much stuff you wanted, it's still a stupid mode that forces you out of the game you like to play to do some stupid mystery box shit.

Xeteh

Good for you. I wanted more stuff than you did. it doesn't matter how much stuff you wanted, it's still a stupid mode that forces you out of the game you like to play to do some stupid mystery box shit.

The crypt was dumb but comparing it to survival is insane. You didn't need to spend 30 minutes in there trying to unlock a couple colors for one costume but could come out empty handed.

For real. What were they thinking with premium costumes not getting the full color set upon purchase. They're limiting their sales.
"Fuck you, I want money"
The ugly fact about Survival is that if you are a SP only player or don't have Plus like me, then that's practically the only way you can play the game right now.

I also second that they need to let us choose or own modifiers instead of this random crap. Also, they need to update it with new cast and stages since it's getting really tiresome to go through the same waves with same backgrounds over and over and over again.
No thank you on that one. Introducing new things just makes it more likely that they'll mess something up. Multiple health buffs after a match and fewer matches across the board for all difficulties should be the only things they change. Anything else and they'll screw up somewhere guaranteed.
Sean looks awful.
I never got Sean's appeal.

SMK

So will Sean get a complete makeover once he starts training with Ken? It's weird how he looks like two completely different people in the game.

So will Sean get a complete makeover once he starts training with Ken? It's weird how he looks like two completely different people in the game.
How many years is inbetween SFV and SFIII?

He is really short in SFV so I imagine a few years have passed. He's grown man height in SFIII.

hqdefault.jpg

SMK

How many years is inbetween SFV and SFIII?

He is really short in SFV so I imagine a few years have passed. He's grown man height in SFIII.

hqdefault.jpg

Ehhh who's sprite was made first, Ryu or Sean? Sean is usually depicted with a smaller frame in almost all of his artwork.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, after recently getting the game, I've spent some time in training mode with Cammy. At this point, I'm focusing on specific combos that the game presented me with in trials, just trying to drill them into muscle memory. Are most of those combos fairly practical in actual matches or are they better looked at as dexterity exercises?

Also, I've got to get out of the habit of spamming buttons while working through combos. For some of them I have a tendency to rapidly hit buttons over and over while going through the motions rather that doing it slower and getting the timing right. I'm particularly bad with that on Cammy when doing Jumping h.p. > Standing h.p. > Cannon Spike. I tended to spam the punch buttons rather than try to get the timing down. T_T On the plus side, it helped me learn that her critical art can be tacked on the end of it from doing all that spam, but it's becoming obvious that I've got to work on taking things slower, and being more in control when doing moves.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Combo trials are usually there to demonstrate proofs of concept on what moves *can* be linked together. It doesn't always mean that that's what you *should* be doing.

Not really familiar enough with Cammy to say what's worth taking from hers.

So, after recently getting the game, I've spent some time in training mode with Cammy. At this point, I'm focusing on specific combos that the game presented me with in trials, just trying to drill them into muscle memory. Are most of those combos fairly practical in actual matches or are they better looked at as dexterity exercises?

Also, I've got to get out of the habit of spamming buttons while working through combos. For some of them I have a tendency to rapidly hit buttons over and over while going through the motions rather that doing it slower and getting the timing right. I'm particularly bad with that on Cammy when doing Jumping h.p. > Standing h.p. > Cannon Spike. I tended to spam the punch buttons rather than try to get the timing down. T_T On the plus side, it helped me learn that her critical art can be tacked on the end of it from doing all that spam, but it's becoming obvious that I've got to work on taking things slower, and being more in control when doing moves.

Unless a link is tight, you can generally spam safely, but I'd tone it down to double taps instead. Also light attacks are easier to drop if you try to combo from them while mashing.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Okay, so just got my Eightarc/Quanba Drone. Some quick impressions:

It's ridiculously light. Wow.

It's actually a *good* small size, not tiny like the Hori Mini or the Madcatz Alpha. Reminds me of the OG Madcatz Fighstick SE in that regard.

Slick looking. The slanted arm rest doubles as the USB storage as there is a small hollowed nook where the rest overhangs and where it meets the base. Overall, a good use of the real estate with a minimalist design. Oh, and slip grips on the bottom.

On to the important stuff: the stick feels awful. Flimsy, loose and mushy. Yuck. It's not even a better stick than the stock Hori's on the old DoA sticks for the 360, or the Dreamcast Green Goblin.

The buttons are at least serviceable. Nothing too terrible, but yeah, you'll want to replace them.

Now, I have yet to open it up, but to my disappointment, I just saw an Iplaywinner review that showed the stick is not 5-pin but wired in. So extra work for modding is needed. YMMV with that depending on experience. For me, I have never done that so it's a pain.

The buttons are normal QD's at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom