• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually does this with every update, 1.04 said "downloading update" ingame too.
It just said applying title update in 1.04 and before.

For 1.05, the game started up like always, downloaded the update in-game and then applied it, no downloading involved from PSN. It definitely wasn't like that for the previous updates.

At least this proves that they don't need to be bogged down by PSN's update checking system to apply quick bug-fixes. Steam has never been an issue since there's next to no content checking involved for updates.

It just said applying title update in 1.04 and before.

For 1.05, the game started up like always, downloaded the update in-game and then applied it, no downloading involved from PSN. It definitely wasn't like that for the previous updates.

Nah it always briefly showed downloading update before going into applying update, the reason it skipped straight into applying is because previous downloads also had the update itself.

You're right that it's the first time it actually does the download through the game.

Nah it always briefly showed downloading update before going into applying update, the reason it skipped straight into applying is because previous downloads also had the update itself.

You're right that it's the first time it actually does the download through the game.
That's nifty. Not a bad update system, just wish it usually wasn't accompanied with 10 hour maintenance periods for larger updates.

Ketch

what software were you using to run it?

ds4windows, I figured it out though, wasn't the game just steam.

Had a TURBULENT night on the ladder. I got up to 995 points and then went full tilt and lost until I was like 550, then turned off match making and just did basic drills in training mode for like 15 minutes, back to ladder and now I'm back up to 750ish which is where I started the night at.

Where's our favorite dataminer when you need him?

What is there to datamine though? It was a big update on Steam but it was barely below 100 MB on PS4 which makes me think it was the same thing, only Steam replaced the whole file with the new version while the PS4 version managed to simply update the necessary files.

Though I'd love to be proven wrong and find that there is new stuff in there.

I'm a noob guile, how do I deal with cross ups?

If you can anti air them before they get to cross up territory , either using your air throw or something, that would be the preferable situation.

Though Guile can be a bit weak to cross ups so you'll just have to block if you wanna play it safe. He does lose the crouch charge for his flash kick but it's a worthwhile sacrifice to stop someone from getting a free jump-in.

Ketch

If you can anti air them before they get to cross up territory , either using your air throw or something, that would be the preferable situation.

Though Guile can be a bit weak to cross ups so you'll just have to block if you wanna play it safe. He does lose the crouch charge for his flash kick but it's a worthwhile sacrifice to stop someone from getting a free jump-in.

hmm yea. definitely need to get better at anti airs, I have started using them more, but still fairly inconsistent.

also, and this is maybe a harder question to answer, but still a really noob question... how do I stop holding down back and start actually playing the game? Like not knowing what to do at specific ranges is crippling, so I just end up playing defense and hoping my opponent makes a mistake I can capitalize on, but I feel like I need to be able to mount an offense and I just dont have one outside of jumping in or walking up behind a slow sonic boom... and then I just go back to holding down back once I get there.

I think right now, my strategy to solve this problem is just to play more online matches until I get good.

Zerojul

I'm a noob guile, how do I deal with cross ups?

I'm a scrubo so I will probably say a whole lot of crap but I can tell you what I do usually.
It depends on the angle, the spacing, the timing and a lot of criteria but I either :
- dash/knee bazooka under them
- cr HP if I'm fast enough (it has a decent vertical hitbox), air throw if I'm even faster
- jab on the other side
- even so rarely keep crouching and delay a late flash kick once they've crossed and Guile has turned the right way. It's not that hard since it's a down charge and it doesn't matter which side you're facing while charching nor which up direction you hit when you press the kick button but the timing is severe.
All of those are very situational.
You can also guard the right way and deal with your opponents attack phase, of course. In fact you will have to do just that most of the time :)

hmm yea. definitely need to get better at anti airs, I have started using them more, but still fairly inconsistent.

also, and this is maybe a harder question to answer, but still a really noob question... how do I stop holding down back and start actually playing the game? Like not knowing what to do at specific ranges is crippling, so I just end up playing defense and hoping my opponent makes a mistake I can capitalize on, but I feel like I need to be able to mount an offense and I just dont have one outside of jumping in or walking up behind a slow sonic boom... and then I just go back to holding down back once I get there.

I think right now, my strategy to solve this problem is just to play more online matches until I get good.
I think this may stem from a lack of familiarity with the character.

I'd really advise you to go into training mode and use every single one of his normals. Even if you use like 60% of Guile's normals in regular matches, that's still more than enough IMO.

Guile isn't really a straight forward character like Ryu or Ken. Walking forward, poking and prodding with lights and mediums isn't really Guile's thing. He wants to play to his advantages which is his amazing sonic boom and his long range normals which are relatively safe.

His B.hp is the best poking normal in the game IMO. It's fast, hits high as well as low(which is f.hp doesn't) and is a CC.

For now, my advice is just to get a feel for as many of his normals as you can, and keep them in mind when you're playing against people. You don't even have to use them in the match, just keep reminding yourself that that's an option you have readily available.

I normally don't agree with the don't nerf mantra, I don't it makes a lot of sense and might be more to do people not wanting their mains nerfed than thinking about what will acutally make the game better overall. But in the case of this game I think it might be true, the top tier are pretty fair and don't have much of anything that's crying out to be nerfed.

Wow, there are some Balrogs already level 47 holy shit...

Levelling up is a hell of a lot easier when you're playing with Ultra Golds or above, since that gives more EXP per match as compared to lower ranks.

This is also a shitty thing about the XP system IMO, since being higher rank means there's less of a grind.

Levelling up is a hell of a lot easier when you're playing with Ultra Golds or above, since that gives more EXP per match as compared to lower ranks.

This is also a shitty thing about the XP system IMO, since being higher rank means there's less of a grind.

Seems fair to me. If you are better at the game surely you should be rewarded for it?

Seems fair to me. If you are better at the game surely you should be rewarded for it?

I think the ranking system should be separate from the XP system. Skill isn't the same thing as time invested which is what the XP system should be based around IMO.

Maybe something like wins all give the same XP but Streaks give cumulative bonuses to the XP earned.

I think the ranking system should be separate from the XP system. Skill isn't the same thing as time invested which is what the XP system should be based around IMO.

Maybe something like wins all give the same XP but Streaks give cumulative bonuses to the XP earned.

Might end up with higher level players smurfing and rinsing casual matches that way though.

Might end up with higher level players smurfing and rinsing casual matches that way though.

Just a suggestion, not saying that's exactly what they should do.

Though maybe I'm not understanding something but even with that change, why would a higher level player want to smurf to gain XP?

Just a suggestion, not saying that's exactly what they should do.

Though maybe I'm not understanding something but even with that change, why would a higher level player want to smurf to gain XP?

XP means levels and levels mean Fight Money. If they are low rank in casuals they will get matched with less skilled players and get tons of XP.

XP means levels and levels mean Fight Money. If they are low rank in casuals they will get matched with less skilled players and get tons of XP.

But... to what end? It still requires them to play a LOT of matches to get that FM. FM that can't be shared to other accounts, and you'd also have to buy separate season passes and DLC as DLC isn't shared between accounts in this game so you won't have access to DLC characters unless you spend FM or spend real money.

Hyun Sai

Are there really smurfs in a $60 game ?

Apart from the players who only play in lounges and go in ranked one in a month, I don't see any examples of that ingame.

Are there really smurfs in a $60 game ?

Apart from the players who only play in lounges and go in ranked one in a month, I don't see any examples of that ingame.

Some players do have smurfs I believe, but it's rare and it's usually for players that stream and want "safer" accounts where they can practice without any public scrutiny.

But... to what end? It still requires them to play a LOT of matches to get that FM. FM that can't be shared to other accounts, and you'd also have to buy separate season passes and DLC as DLC isn't shared between accounts in this game so you won't have access to DLC characters unless you spend FM or spend real money.

It's just a possibility. I could be talking total garbage.

Ryu is soooo fucking goddamn strong. Like, nerf something...anything. I fucking KNEW he'd be the best from the betas. Meanwhile motherfuckers crying and shit about how he needed buffs.

Just never the invincibility on DP. Make them think twice before mashing during frame traps. Seriously what's the point of making Medium DP 4f start up?

On Ryu: It's so frustrating playing a Ryu with good defense. As a 'Sim player, nothing annoys me more than trying to poke every last ounce of health out of a Ryu, only to look up at my health bar and see I'm doing to 30% life after a couple of pokes from him.

Ketch

I count 2 Guile players there, Chris G and Dadaddy.

Better than nothing I guess ^^

Yea. It's a bummer. At least chrisG is one of the very very best... But still why don't more people play him?

I've run into exactly one other guile on ladder.... I've hit more giefs and fangs both then guile.

Hyun Sai

Yea. It's a bummer. At least chrisG is one of the very very best... But still why don't more people play him?

I've run into exactly one other guile on ladder.... I've hit more giefs and fangs both then guile.

I think it's because longer recovery on booms + less range on normals.

This Guile is much less "safe" to play, so people are just saying he's garbage.

Honestly, I prefer this much more offense orientated version, and feels he's a solid mid tiers at worst, and really a threat if you got the execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom