• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

*sigh* I just got a fucking ex dp stuffed? Let me guess. You have to use hp as part of the ex dp input with necalli or it's not invinicible or some such shit?

Depending on how late you got hit during it the invincibility could have just run out.

Or you tried to DP and they did a more invincible move to get you like an Ultra.

I think you might be overestimating the strength of DPs in this game though. Maybe you would have been happier with no DPs.

Pretty sure your light blue was really green :).

The third heatmap is top users and light blue indicates a higher density.

Look on the bottom..left? It'll say what the heatmap is for.

It does??? Lol oops. Well i hope its not accurate because otherwise it means barely anyone plays.

This would be his best chance to be good since every character seems solid so far. Defense boost for V-trigger?

I was legit shocked that Rog said Twelve. I thought Twelve was the poster boy for what people hated about 3rd Strike, though I def agree that the morph mechanic would be dope. My pick to return was always Necro, he seems like such a natural fit.
Never really gave a fuck about necro, but I agree. Think he would transition well into sfv.

*sigh* I just got a fucking ex dp stuffed? Let me guess. You have to use hp as part of the ex dp input with necalli or it's not invinicible or some such shit?

The invincible frames are only on startup, so on jump ins you kinda have to wait so you can do it at the last moment, the only way it gets stuffed on wakeup is if they did something that's also invincible.

qcf x2

Twelve has an airdash. I wonder how that would play out in SFV, lol. Too anime?

It doesn't get much more anime than Ohohoujosama. Oh wait, yeah it does, Oni.

Oddly, Necro was one of the few newcomers to 3S that I didn't outright loathe.
He always reminded me of Blanka + Dhalsim; not that he was exactly those characters mashed together, but with the stretchy limbs and electricity attack, I felt like he was how those two were represented... sort of like how Hugo was the replacement for Gief and Remy was the replacement for Guile.

But SFV has Dhalsim, so I don't really see the need for another stretchy limbed character much the same way I don't really see Remy coming back with both Nash and Guile in the mix. :\

I'm surprised nobody who mentioned 3S said Q. Everyone seems to love Q for some reason...

After having tried all the characters for at least a few matches, Twelve was one of those who just felt wonky to me and I wouldn't ever click with, so I'm not really onboard with him to return, even if his morph super was kind of cool.

Out of all the characters mentioned, I'd like to see Sodom most probably, as I never really played the Alpha series and always liked his visual design from the FF series.

Necro is stretchy but he doesn't really play like Sim. His game is blitzing and stunning with a command grab mixed in. I would argue Remy doesn't play like Nash or Guile but even I don't see the need for another sonic boom / flash kick character so I'm with you there. Twelve felt wonky because he really didn't fit. To play Twelve you were essentially playing a different game. On the one hand it was great for those who enjoy that kind of challenge, but for everybody else it just made him feel like an even worse character concept. He was kind of a mastery character; to be successful with him in any game you probably need to have more than a basic understanding of every other character in the game.

Somebody mentioned Alex and him not being played correctly. I think I found... one thing. It's a 3rd Strike thing and others can do it in SFV but it seems to be more viable with him.

Sigmaah

I'd drop all my chars if twelve came out. Such a dope character imo.

I've been playing fang lately and wow he's actually a lot of fun. Getting used to that charge, deff gonna give guile a shot.

Nothing is broken. I feel like chun has no weaknesses, and Ryu's damage is a little crazy. But nothing is broken. There is some cheap stuff though. Off the top of my head

-Mika's MP into whip requires little to know thought process and throws you into the corner almost tno matter where you are on the screen. The whip command is unsafe but only like -2 it's a bit brain dead IMO for a move that pretty much starts Mika's offense

-Sims instant yoga Flame is a little derp, but it's just one hit, at least you can block v-reversal it

-Chun's Instant Air legs a little too strong

- Bison is derp until you get him into the corner, at least he's counter balanced with his one weakness.

That's about it for me, and all of that none of it broken. But Mika is the top offender, no offense to Flux, I think you'd be good with any other character buddy lol, but yeah it requires way too much effort to learn that matchup, and even then I feel the whip move is similar to Viper burn kick, just needs a tone down.

I agree with teh bulk of this. Tho CHun's Instant Air Legs, while annoying, isn't totally unconquerable or all dominating to me like that.

Necro is stretchy but he doesn't really play like Sim. His game is blitzing and stunning with a command grab mixed in. I would argue Remy doesn't play like Nash or Guile but even I don't see the need for another sonic boom / flash kick character so I'm with you there. Twelve felt wonky because he really didn't fit. To play Twelve you were essentially playing a different game. On the one hand it was great for those who enjoy that kind of challenge, but for everybody else it just made him feel like an even worse character concept. He was kind of a mastery character; to be successful with him in any game you probably need to have more than a basic understanding of every other character in the game.

Why do you have to add this mystique to Twelve? He's not that complicated. He's just really bad so you have to play well to win, like with Q. Some of his moves aren't even really functional. Sure he has jump cancel combos and throw OTGs, but 3s is a busted game in general and nothing he has is any more complex or interesting than what the rest of the cast gets. The only reason you need to know the rest of the cast moreso with Twelve than other characters is if you like trolling people with XCOPY combos. I personally just picked XFLAT to support me playing him like a neutered Jedah.

He was my main in 3s. I just thought he looked cool.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201965413]Why do you have to add this mystique to Twelve? He's not that complicated. He's just really bad so you have to play well to win, like with Q. Some of his moves aren't even really functional. Sure he has jump cancel combos and throw OTGs, but 3s is a busted game in general and nothing he has is any more complex or interesting than what the rest of the cast gets. The only reason you need to know the rest of the cast moreso with Twelve than other characters is if you like trolling people with XCOPY combos. I personally just picked XFLAT to support me playing him like a neutered Jedah.

He was my main in 3s. I just thought he looked cool.[/QUOTE]

The running gag back in the day was twelve's best super was x copy because it briefly makes him not twelve.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Edit - Laura is ridiculous. Terrible character, she is for me what Mika seems to be for everyone else.

As a Mika player I've been beating this drum for a while. Laura is stupid as hell and zero fun to fight against.

The running gag back in the day was twelve's best super was x copy because it briefly makes him not twelve.

It's true, though. Twelve is horrendous. You know your character sucks when your Elena matchup is 3-7. I played against C-Royd at EVO and he just kind of looked sad when he saw me pick Twelve.

cHaotix8

I agree with teh bulk of this. Tho CHun's Instant Air Legs, while annoying, isn't totally unconquerable or all dominating to me like that.

Eh, I don't think a character that has as many options as Chun should be able to also get Rufus dive kick pressure as well. It's low risk and pretty high reward.

Also, hopping online if anyone wants to run some games. CFN: TheIronFolgore

EDIT: Lol, j/k. Servers are downnnnn.

Edit #2: They're up! hmu

Scotia

Banned
Hey Omni, remember how you said it's important to give the pros the characters they want?

I temporarily agree with you. Pros on who they would like to see added to SFV.

This is interesting. I was expecting the usual SF2/SF4 characters but Sagat and Sodom were the only two not from 3rd Strike who was requested. I'm really surprised by that.

Plus someone said they'd want Twelve back in front of a camera which is probably the most shocking thing.

As a Mika player I've been beating this drum for a while. Laura is stupid as hell and zero fun to fight against.

I've been thinking for awhile what the difference between Laura and Mika really is to me, a la what makes Mika so much scarier to me than Laura?

It's three things, the obvious one being Irish Whip and the fact that getting hit pretty much at all vs. Mika means you are in the corner or very near to it at best. Getting hit by Laura is bad of course, and the resulting setup is just as dangerous, but you don't just magically appear in the corner like with Mika.

Next is Mika's Vtrigger which is just super hard to deal with. It turns almost any situation into a guess. If she activates, I can't apply pressure basically at all and just have to wait to be mixed up. Laura's Vtrigger doesn't scare me nearly as much.

Those are obvious of course. I think the biggest factor for why Mika is much scarier is that I feel that her setups are just harder to intuitively get out of. I feel like Laura's pressure is pretty linear, whereas sometimes I get hit by Mika's bullshit and wonder how I could possibly react to the situation without just guessing.

In other news I've just hit Gold for the first time, feel pretty good about it. What made a big difference is I've started disrespecting my opponent alot with Karin's V-Trigger. The mix ups out of Gurren-ken are just not real most of the time but I was watching replays of high level online Karin players, and there's this one Super Plat Karin who just throws the elbow and the overhead out with no regard for the fact that you can just easily mash jab out of it. You never see it in tournaments but online it works way more than it should.

Pro-tip: If you block Gurren-ken, just crouch jab. You beat all of my options except the backdash which gets me nothing or the unsafe slide or punch followup. If you allow me to make you block the elbow, the amount of free pressure I can generate is really painful

For real the amount of matches I started winning just abusing Gurren-ken got me into Gold.

Philippo

Trying some Normal Survival for the first time, with Ryu, let's see if i learn something new.
But man there's always so much i forget to use during the fight: V-Skills, V-Reversals, Triggers etc. and i still have a hard time using Shoryukens/Tatsumakis and especially parries!

But this is mode is totally addicting tho, do you get Fight Money and/or levels for doing it?

Trying some Normal Survival for the first time, with Ryu, let's see if i learn something new.
But man there's always so much i forget to use during the fight: V-Skills, V-Reversals, Triggers etc. and i still have a hard time using Shoryukens/Tatsumakis and especially parries!

But this is mode is totally addicting tho, do you get Fight Money and/or levels for doing it?

You get fight money, levels and a colour / colours for each difficulty you beat. But only the first time. You think its addicting now. It won't belong till you realise how terribly designef it is.

Have fun.

5 laggy teleporty games in a row. Very close on breaking the controller in 2 pieces but the anger has removed my strength.. 2016 and ppl still are on shit internet, there is no future of mankind.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201965969]It's true, though. Twelve is horrendous. You know your character sucks when your Elena matchup is 3-7. I played against C-Royd at EVO and he just kind of looked sad when he saw me pick Twelve.[/QUOTE]

There was always at least one poor soul playing him no matter where you played the game.

Dhalsim and Guile would get wrecked in 3S because of universal parries. They rely on slow, ranged, single-hit attacks, which work in every other game but are easily negated in 3S. Remy is actually an evolution of the Sonic Boom type character, and he's the best one there ever was, since he could charge partition, have multiple high/low booms out at once, combo into his flash kick, have a double-scoop motion super, have more mobility with Cool Blue Kick, etc. He's still low tier because the game's mechanics don't favor that type of character.

Somebody mentioned Alex and him not being played correctly. I think I found... one thing. It's a 3rd Strike thing and others can do it in SFV but it seems to be more viable with him.
I don't really get why they changed the properties for a lot of Alex's normals. His LP and MP are basically switched, and his overhead shifted from HP to f.MP (although this one makes sense, since HP combos into things now).

Hmm...I mean, she can wreck you, but she has to reset to kill, not just get one clap into the corner and your dead. Laura is crazy admittedly, but she can be zoned out easier than Mika, her stuff can be v-reversaled for a reset in pressure, EX move that goes through FB is unsafe on block as well as her OH. And you can punish her FB with quick reactions if he’s trying to charge them.

I dunno, I don’t see how she’s more stupid than Mika lol

qcf x2

Hmm...I mean, she can wreck you, but she has to reset to kill, not just get one clap into the corner and your dead. Laura is crazy admittedly, but she can be zoned out easier than Mika, her stuff can be v-reversaled for a reset in pressure, EX move that goes through FB is unsafe on block as well as her OH. And you can punish her FB with quick reactions if he’s trying to charge them.

I dunno, I don’t see how she’s more stupid than Mika lol

She's not more stupid but she has some matchups where she's stronger than Mika. She wins in the head to head too lol.

FluxWaveZ

GGs, cHaotix8. That was going to be my last one, anyways, 'cause I just can't do it. I'm giving it my 110% (exceeding my own bounds), but yeah, I'm still poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom