• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuszka

Just woke up and tested him for like 20 minutes. Is it me or his throw hitbox is off, seems like you need to be pretty close to him, its like his big hands are not considered at all, need more testing.

MindofKB

The threat of this new rage quit punishment system hasn't stopped anyone I've seen. I played 6 matches and 3 of them rage quit on me. I'm giving up for tonight lol.

The threat of this new rage quit punishment system hasn't stopped anyone I've seen. I played 6 matches and 3 of them rage quit on me. I'm giving up for tonight lol.
The Rage quit system's not gonna accomplish anything until punishments start being served out.

Then I imagine a portion of ragequitters might just stop playing this game since they can't save their precious points.

Guile Win/Loss quotes

Alex

Win

You've got a knack for finding openings. Work hard and you could become a first-class soldier.

Loss

For a so-called army man, you dont fare too well in actual battle.

Nash

Win

Charlie...What on earth happened to you?

Loss

I have nothing left to say to you.

Ryu

Win

My blade tears throught anything. Even your Hadoken.

Loss

Still got that perfect guard, huh? I need to work a bit on my own.

Ken

Win

Your combos have improved, but your guard is still full of holes.

Loss

You'll never win a fight if all you do is wait around!

Zangief

Win

Your muscles cannot protect you against my techniques.

Loss

You should learn Cossack dance! It's good for fighters who crouch a lot!

Chun-Li

Win

The precision of your kicks unrivaled. You're as good as ever.

Loss

Neither of us must give up until the day Shadaloo falls.

R.Mika

Win

Dont think your fighting spirit alone will carry you. You need more than just guts on the battlefield.

Loss

I'm a pro too! A pro wrestler! I'll show you my skills in the ring!

M.Bison

Win

I'm going to make you pay here and for all the crimes you commited!

Loss

If you are a soldier, surely death in battle is what you aspire to!

Rashid

Win

Your speed means nothing if yoi use it on wasted movments.

Loss

Interesting hair. Does it help you with that move you pulled off?

Cammy

Win

Your speed still keeps me on my toes, just like always.

Loss

Your counters versus my mobility...This time victory is mine.

F.A.N.G

Win

Poison or not, you can't hurt me if you can't get near me.

Loss

You still don't get it do you? There's nothing you fools can do.

Dhalsim

Win

I've grown tired of your bizarre fighting techniques.

Loss

Your strength is your family. Do not forget that again.

Laura

Win

It sems you're not all talk. However, your combos are all over the place.

Loss

That hair style's pretty neat! Makes you look all serious!

Karin

Win

You use your moves well. You could go pretty far in the army.

Loss

Even precision can be a weakness. A pro like you should know that.

Birdie

Win

Your slow movements make you nothing more than a stationary target.

Loss

What's with the hairdo? Are you tryin' to threaten me?

Necalli

Win

My techniques are too powerful to be eaten by the likes of you.

Loss

Such polished battle techniques de...deserve to be eaten.

Vega

Win

Carelessness will only get you shot down. You should know that by now.

Loss

What a revolting haircut. It baffles the mind, really.

Guile

I know my own moves better than anyone. That includes my weaknesses.

Thanks. Jesus Christ, Guile hates Sim. Must have fought during the SF2 tourny. And Guile and Cammy probably sparred at some point with the former coming out the victor. Other than that, it's just people shitposting on Guile's hair or his fighting style lol.

Okay, it's time to revise the dumb story tier list because maybe four of us give a shit about it.

Trust me, I'm the guy who knows about this deepest lore shit when it comes to SF. I've read the plot guide far too many times to count and want to admit.

A few notes before we begin - this is updated from quotes from SFV and whatever else I can find, those listed within the tiers are in no particular order, and this does not count non-canon materials (like the Udon comic, movies, whatever).

Tier 1
Akuma, Gill, Oro, SFZ3 Final Bison, Ingrid.
Tier 2
SF2/V Bison, Ryu, SnH Ryu, SF4 Gouken, Necaili
Tier 3
Ken, Gen, SFZ Akuma, Rose, Nash, Urien, Guy, Seth, Oni, Sagat
Tier 4
Guile, Chun-Li, Hugo, Vega, Twelve , Maki, FANG, C. Viper, Sodom,
Rolento, Cody, Sakura, Juri, Q, Karin, Alex, Rashid, Sim
Tier 5
Adon, Abel, Balrog, Cammy, Zangief, T. Hawk, Eagle, Dudley, Mika
Tier 6
The dolls, Necro, Lee, Mike, Geki, Retsu, Joe, Hakan, Laura
Tier 7
Blanka, Fei-Long, E. Honda, El Fuerte, Dee Jay, Ibuki, Makoto, Yun, Yang
Tier 8
Elena, Remy, Poison, Birdie
Tier 9
Dan, Rufus
Tier 10
Sean

I moved a bunch of people up and down. For example, I think Sim is stronger than people are giving him credit going by the win quotes and how he battles Karin. Speaking of Karin, she got bumped up because she can take on big leagues and hang with them. Birdie got dropped because, well, he's a jobber and worthless now. Newbies like Laura are hard to place, but Rashid is at least able to hang with FANG. Abel got dropped a tier for losing to FANG - who does that?

This all might change once the story patch hits.We could have Guile taking down Nash, for example. You never know.

Ok this one made me laugh.

It's so wrong. I can't think of any canon reason for that, both are good guys. I don't want my two faves to have a beef with eachother. Hugs and kisses boys.

Their kids are fucking pen pals and Guile throws out some shade like this.

It's all fun and games when one guy has to fight for money for his village and the other guy is fighting for revenge for a friend he didn't even see die.

Zerojul

Okay, it's time to revise the dumb story tier list because maybe four of us give a shit about it.
Interesting, thanks. Strangely I would have instinctively put Guile, Chun and Sim at Ken/Guy/Rose levels, and I thought Cody was a beast. I would have put Sodom a bit lower, too.

Scotia

Banned

Decent list, but the only thing I'd change is either put Sean above Dan or on the same level as Dan.

I know I'm known for liking Sean but this isn't me being biast or anything, I promise, but at least Sean can throw a fireball whereas Dan can't. Sean's also a kid in training while Dan's a fully grown man who runs a dojo. I don't know, I've always considered Sean just a little bit better than Dan.

How would Oni place below Akuma?

Isn't Oni basically just Shin Akuma reworked to have a unique moveset?

According to various materials, Oni could be stronger than Akuma if he wasn't a schizo, wavering between Akuma's ideals of the pure fist and Oni's devolving into not giving a shit. Akuma even says in his win quote that his craziness watered down the fighting potential.

Interesting, thanks. Strangely I would have instinctively put Guile, Chun and Sim at Ken/Guy/Rose levels, and I thought Cody was a beast. I would have put Sodom a bit lower, too.

Guile and Chun haven't done anything too noteworthy as of late. Chun couldn't beat Urien, so she can't be too far up, and Bison still doesn't give a shit about Guile, even though the former didn't want to fight Guy. Rose is super strong as well, giving Bison a decent fight in Alpha, so I don't see those two at the same level.

Sim is stronger than people give him credit for, but the whole flame god thing needs to come to fruition before he can be placed higher.

Decent list, but the only thing I'd change is either put Sean above Dan or on the same level as Dan.

I know I'm known for liking Sean but this isn't me being biast or anything, I promise, but at least Sean can throw a fireball whereas Dan can't. Sean's also a kid in training while Dan's a fully grown man who runs a dojo. I don't know, I've always considered Sean just a little bit better than Dan.

Actually, you might be right. Dan can't take much punishment compared to Sean, who could at least take on a few hits from Ken and still stick around. So switch those two out.

If you're into the lore, ypu should know why Cody should be far higher.

Absolutely nothing about Cody in any of the official materials gives reason that he should be any higher.

Guy has been shown to do a lot more, impressing both Bison and Rose. Not only that, but Guy and Cody threw down in SF4, with the former probably winning, as he notes that the latter has gotten sloppy and forgetful of Guy's movements.

Cody however has done nothing of note beyond possibly fight FF people in SF, and since he only ever met up with Guy in SF4 (and possibly Chun in passing), it's difficult to place him anywhere higher. Oni commentates about how strong he is, but he also gives props to Gief for his iron body. Furthermore, that comment could apply to how tenacious and wild Cody is over a gauge of power.

Anyway, Cody is probably at the higher point of that Tier, but until he actually does something beyond "I was holding back the whole time with these cuffs" (which actually don't seem to impede his fighting style since it's based on FF anyway, and he doesn't extend his arms far enough for those chains to matter), he's below Guy.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Guile Trial 7: does the Sonic Boom not act as buffer input or whatever for the Sonic Hurricane? Because for the life of me I can't get this to work.

Didn't dimeinion (butchered that name because I'm on mobile)go over charge characters in the YouTube video for street fighter 4? Maybe that could assist if it's general knowledge and not game specific.

Bitch mode again.

Matchmaking system is more fucked than James Deen. I've met a guy with 1700 lp more than me four times in a row. I'd like to think Sweden has more than two active players.

Still can't battle against my friend. We get super laggy matches and like 1 connection bar.

Good work, Capcom. Last "game" I'll ever buy from you. Next time I'll just give 60 bucks so you can take a shit in my mouth. Atleast I'll get what I asked for.

Edit: Fifth time now I go up against the same dude.

edit: I found a prototype of Capcom's future vision:
Ys2wsCY.png

Finally download update. First rank match: Rage quit after 2nd round win. 2nd rank match. Rage quit again at the KO.

Of course, I lose two matches after that leaving me with nothing but losses for the day.

Capcom, you really need to award the winning points and fight money from those that quit to the winner. I would have around an extra 1200-1500 points or so, easily since the game dropped and...my Fight Money!

SAiLO

Yeah matchmaking is messy. Was up against people from Finland, Holland and France. Nobody from UK and had to wait for 5 mins or more to get a fight.
Something is not right.

Zerojul

Capcom, you really need to award the winning points and fight money from those that quit to the winner.
Yeah that would be the logical, sensible thing to do to soothe the frustration of players on the receiving end of the RQ. I guess if they don't do that it must be because of a technical hurdle making this harder to implement within SFV's online infrastructure than in, say, SFIV's.

Yeah matchmaking is messy. Was up against people from Finland, Holland and France. Nobody from UK and had to wait for 5 mins or more to get a fight.
Something is not right.
I was getting constant matches yesterday before maintenance. I hope the patch didn't fuck things up. It was supposed to be a patch that would make matchmaking faster for us euro peeps, among other things.

mekes

WHAAAAA!!

I just did it!!

This is tighter than a virgin in high school!!

How am I supposed to land this in an actual fight when I'm like 1/20

Man...Charge guys might not be for me...

Man, Guile seems like the perfect complement to Ken too

Just catching up on the thread but its a practice thing. A little bit in training mode every day will go a long way. Its one of those things you just need to get to muscle memory, whether its the timing or the execution. Timing I think is easier with this than the execution, its easier to slip on the execution after the practice. Doing it on reaction is where the difficulty will come in, as your hands might not be ready to do what your head tells you to. Starting position with your hands will be very important, so being able to go from moving to performing the combo is where the real skill might be.

Its a shame Guile no longer has cr.lp cr.lp st.mp. One of my most favourite basic little combos ever. This new Guile will take some adjusting to get those optimal combos.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Absolutely nothing about Cody in any of the official materials gives reason that he should be any higher.

Guy has been shown to do a lot more, impressing both Bison and Rose. Not only that, but Guy and Cody threw down in SF4, with the former probably winning, as he notes that the latter has gotten sloppy and forgetful of Guy's movements.

Cody however has done nothing of note beyond possibly fight FF people in SF, and since he only ever met up with Guy in SF4 (and possibly Chun in passing), it's difficult to place him anywhere higher. Oni commentates about how strong he is, but he also gives props to Gief for his iron body. Furthermore, that comment could apply to how tenacious and wild Cody is over a gauge of power.

Anyway, Cody is probably at the higher point of that Tier, but until he actually does something beyond "I was holding back the whole time with these cuffs" (which actually don't seem to impede his fighting style since it's based on FF anyway, and he doesn't extend his arms far enough for those chains to matter), he's below Guy.

>Beat the shit out of Ryu to the point where Ryu goes evil because Ryu asked for a fair fight

>Oni says he'd be as strong as he is if he ditched the cuffs

>Punches through a prison wall to escape, while handcuffed.

And all that without any special powers beyond just being a grumpy fuck.

(FWIW Fighting game canon is entirely pointless, as nobody developing the game clearly gives a shit. See third strike)

Haven't gotten a chance to play Guile yet so I'll ask here.

Does pressing a different punch button for it affect Guile's CA in any way? maybe the position of it or something?

Like how which button you press affects the speed of Ryu's CA or how the button changes the range of Dhalsim's CA.

Renekton

Haven't gotten a chance to play Guile yet so I'll ask here.

Does pressing a different punch button for it affect Guile's CA in any way? maybe the position of it or something?

Like how which button you press affects the speed of Ryu's CA or how the button changes the range of Dhalsim's CA.
Seems like his CA is only affected by V-Trigger (range increase).

vg260

down back, up forward, kick
then, really fast
back, forward, punch

It kinda helps me to do it as DB, UF+K, DB, UF+P

For some reason that's a bit easier for me due to consistency in the motion. Perhaps it gives me a little more room for error in case I undershoot the second part of the motion compared just trying to do B and F.

Guile seems good. With the Flash Kick shortcut you can actually combo sonic boom into flash kick. Also EX sonic boom into bazooka knee combos mid-screen for an air reset into easy 50/50. He might be too good with the flash kick shortcut.

What exactly is that?

BTW whatever the fuck they did with this update my Brook converter is now desyncing every 8 minutes where it used to never happen. Very annoyed with this.

They put out a more recent firmware update after the latest PS4 firmware update. Works fine after updating.

Guile is probably the answer to R.Mika. Him being a charge character with a good reversal makes it very easy to use on reaction and stop any pressure attempts.

Damn I need Decapre back in my life.

Just woke up and tested him for like 20 minutes. Is it me or his throw hitbox is off, seems like you need to be pretty close to him, its like his big hands are not considered at all, need more testing.

Yeah it sucks. I think throws sucks in general in SFV because it doesn't visually match and even clipping through models. They need to add back kara throws, only Chun Li seems to have one off her Cr.MP.

B3il

Is this 'flash kick shortcut' anything other than the Universal Charge Positions, that have been part of SF since World Warrior?

mbpm1

Any early Guile v Mika impressions?

Played a single mika while trying out guile.

Nothing special to say atm. Sonic boom is tough for mika to challenge head on but like every other mika match if she gets in she makes him pay.

Thanks. Jesus Christ, Guile hates Sim. Must have fought during the SF2 tourny.

I fought a Sim online as Guile, can confirm hating his bizarre techniques lol

But on the other hand teleports are free flash kicks

mbpm1

"Attention aspiring Guile players: ignore that and let your Sonic Boom flag fly. Sustain yourself on the tears of players complaining about fireball spam."

Thanks PrimaGames

Mupod

whats even best is he is almost unchanged. If you knew how to use him in 4 heck even in 2 you will do really good here. I can't wait to see dieminoin or knuckledu in tournaments.

There is a tournament here in Mississauga this weekend and Dieminion will be there. Curious if they'll have Guile available, even just to screw around in casual matches.

stn

Guile is strong, very strong. Unfortunately I feel like its only a matter of time before he gets nerfed, he single-handedly changes the way the game is played.

mbpm1

I thought they wanted to change the way the game was played though.

He definitely slows the game way down for some people though, for the first time I've noticed the clock being a factor.

Demoli

Finally got to Gold rank. Sometimes all you need is a break.

Guile seems like he shits damage tho, his trigger is insane

Mupod

I ran into a few Guiles last night as Bison and the damage output is definitely way higher than I expected. And of course I kept forgetting that stupid second kick on his cr.HK.

Nobody can resist throwing out that Guile v-trigger so quite a few of my matches ended with me just waiting to EX stomp it lol. Overall fighting him as Bison isn't quite as painful as I expected it to be.

I don't know how much time I'll have to practice tonight as I'll be at EGLX. I'm resigned to my fate of losing on Saturday but I at least want to put up a fight. My ulterior motive has always been to find out if there's any kind of fighting game scene in the Brampton area and I figure this is a good way to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom