• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

On that note, I'm just coming back to SFV after not touching it for a while, and people have been saying Ryu's near top. Other than him being solid all-around, what specifically about his move set are his highlights that put him there?

Well...he's more than solid all around is the thing.

His anti-airs, damage, okizeme game, access to invincible moves and three frame jabs and a parry, zoning capability, relatively quick normals, conversions from mid-range footsies, are all above average, combining to make him quite good indeed.

And he's easy to play as well.

On that note, I'm just coming back to SFV after not touching it for a while, and people have been saying Ryu's near top. Other than him being solid all-around, what specifically about his move set are his highlights that put him there?
Jumping lk has a godlike hitbox

BiggNife

Yeah I'm really not convinced these 32 hit Guile combos are all that practical and the execution doesn't seem worth the effort

I feel like every time a new character is introduced there's three days of people claiming he/she is OP and then it turns out nope they totally aren't

HiResDes

Mika's ability to get you to the corner from midscreen in a variety of ways is pretty ridiculous. I don't really understand how to keep it from happening as a Cammy even after hitting her with a bunch of normals it seems all but inevitable.

Producer

Is that even possible? I got cMP xx flash kick to work as well as repeated cMP xx sonic booms in the corner, but I feel like you need to warp time and space to get enough charge for yours.

Its possible, but very tight. Only got it a few times after 20+ attempts. You have to delay pretty much everything lol. Delay the crLP link, and delay the flash kick cancel after crLP.

EX flash kick is much easier to connect though.

HiResDes

Yeah I'm really not convinced these 32 hit Guile combos are all that practical and the execution doesn't seem worth the effort

I feel like every time a new character is introduced there's three days of people claiming he/she is OP and then it turns out nope they totally aren't

Does anyone else have a 100 percent stun combo sans mater? That seems like a really big deal to me

mbpm1

Mika's ability to get you to the corner from midscreen in a variety of ways is pretty ridiculous. I don't really understand how to keep it from happening as a Cammy even after hitting her with a bunch of normals it seems all but inevitable.

Only way is to hit less normals but also somehow stop her from getting close

or rush her the hell down

it sucks

MoxManiac

Any chance of Urien as next character? Since they aren't going in left-to-right order from that picture of the 6 characters (otherwise we should have got Balrog instead)

vg260

Any chance of Urien as next character? Since they aren't going in left-to-right order from that picture of the 6 characters (otherwise we should have got Balrog instead)

Unlikely. They are going by that picture so far.

2975258-sf5-1.jpg

Can someone elaborate on how to connect a sonic boom into flash kick via the shortcut people were talking about?

Wallach

I feel like the design of both Alex and Guile really bodes well for the DLC characters. I like playing both of them more than pretty much the entire starting roster.

qcf x2

You don't think these DAY ONE combos are problem? This is pure fuckery, can't wait for the 8GB patch to fix this.

In the meantime I hope scrubs spam these against Mike Ross.

Does anyone else have a 100 percent stun combo sans mater? That seems like a really big deal to me

It's not a big deal at all. The combo isn't practical. Also I believe Cammy has one of the lowest stun values.some of these combos shown is no different then the dunks you see in a dunk contest they look cool as shit but in an actual game you won't see it since these are highly situational.

B3il

Can someone elaborate on how to connect a sonic boom into flash kick via the shortcut people were talking about?

I don't think it's 'boom directly into flash kick, more being able to use both inside one combo.

Haven't tried Guile in V yet, but in older games you could charge DB, DF+P for sonic boom, then keep holding DF, do a linking normal then shift the stick UF+K for the flash kick. Who knows.

If he's prominently in the cinematic story mode maybe we'll get him, but on the other hand, Juri, Boxer, and Ibuki have made cameos already...

mbpm1

Haven't tried Guile in V yet, but in older games you could charge DB, DF+P for sonic boom, then keep holding DF, do a linking normal then shift the stick UF + K for the flash kick. Who knows.

That's the shortcut they were talking about I think

Wallach

If he's prominently in the cinematic story mode maybe we'll get him, but on the other hand, Juri, Boxer, and Ibuki have made cameos already...

Yeah, I have a feeling we are getting Juri or Balrog next. Bums me out that we will probably not get to have Urien in the first SFV EVO.

vg260

I don't think it's 'boom directly into flash kick, more being able to use both inside one combo.

Haven't tried Guile in V yet, but in older games you could charge DB, DF+P for sonic boom, then keep holding DF, do a linking normal then shift the stick UF + K for the flash kick. Who knows.

In the Desk video he does a sonic boom followed shortly by a flash kick in a combo, so he's hiding the charge somehow. I tried doing DB, DF+P last night to get a sonic boom out, but it didn't seem to work for me. Maybe I was just messing that up.

I personally hope it's Juri but I don't mind all that much. The worst thing is that we'll have to wait two months after they arrive for the next one :(

Wallach

In the Desk video he does a sonic boom followed shortly by a flash kick in a combo, so he's hiding the charge somehow. I tried doing DB, DF+P last night to get a sonic boom out, but it didn't seem to work for me. Maybe I was just messing that up.

You know how you can input boom like DB (C), F, B + P? That B can be DB, D or DF too. You need the forward input in the window still.

Skilletor

You don't think these DAY ONE combos are problem? This is pure fuckery, can't wait for the 8GB patch to fix this.

Nah, because day 1 combos doesn't make them any less practical. It's not like this game has some super high execution ceiling that makes finding combos difficult.

Like I said, Ryu does comparable damage off of Vtrig without charging, without the need to dash, without the need to link a charge super.

We don't know how Guile will need to use his meter. We don't know if it's feasible for him to be in that position. We DO know that ALL of these combos are corner specific, and how often will that happen in a match with all of these circumstances?

Maybe a lot, dunno, but not super worried about it.

Big Brett

I'mma be real bummed out if it's not Juri, but that picture is not a good sign.

I mean, I'm looking forward to Juri as well but nothing has really hinted at the fact that she'll be next. I'm just patiently waiting/learning the game until the real champions come in :D

qcf x2

Nah, because day 1 combos doesn't make them any less practical. It's not like this game has some super high execution ceiling that makes finding combos difficult.

Like I said, Ryu does comparable damage off of Vtrig without charging, without the need to dash, without the need to link a charge super.

We don't know how Guile will need to use his meter. We don't know if it's feasible for him to be in that position. We DO know that ALL of these combos are corner specific, and how often will that happen in a match with all of these circumstances?

Maybe a lot, dunno, but not super worried about it.

1. So you think these are intended then and Capcom won't be patching it out?
2. You don't think there will be even more of these?
3. You don't think a character who can forward charge is going to get corner situations?
4. The problem is not just the damage but the fact it's a put the controller down combo. This is not Marvel. A 24 second combo should not exist in this game, point blank period.

vg260

The more recent content roadmap has Ibuki and Boxer swapped though...

Yeah, that seems to be the only conflicting piece of info. So maybe just May is a toss-up.

My money is still on the image though with Boxer next.

You know how you can input boom like DB (C), F, B + P? That B can be DB, D or DF too. You need the forward input in the window still.

Ah. Thanks.

Shito

Yeah, that seems to be the only conflicting piece of info. So maybe just May is a toss-up.

My money is still on the image though with Boxer next.
I'm betting on Ibuki: it would be wiser to not release two charge characters back to back, and then two girls back to back. :)

tariniel

Guile is
so fun

I played 30 games last night in casual and walked out with 20 wins. My worst losses were to two Mika players. I've always been bad against her even with my main.

I'd say over half of the games were Guile mirrors. They take a long time! But Guile's combos are so fun to do. Crush Counter st.HP > df.HK xx flash kick is so much fun to do and look at.

Anyone have tips for meaties with Guile? Based on frame data it seems like st.MP or st.HP maybe? Should I meaty with v.Skill?

People really need to stop freaking out about every combo that gets posted. If you let some hit you with a slow ass sonic boom from full screen then you deserve everything that happens afterwards.

Skilletor

3. You don't think a character who can forward charge is going to get corner situations?
4. The problem is not just the damage but the fact it's a put the controller down combo. This is not Marvel. A 24 second combo should not exist in this game, point blank period.

1. Yeah, I think they're intended. Everything in this game is pretty deliberate, and I really doubt that testers didn't catch since it's pretty much the first thing people would try do do with a sonic boom. Charlie could do them in Alpha 3 with the same move. I do think he shouldn't get so many booms, though. Or maybe he should only get one speed. It seems to be the jab boom that allows the extension.
2. Not much more with Guile, anyway. There are only so many variation of boom, dash that you can do.
3. Make Guile block in crab walk. Just lost his charge.
4. See question 1.

vg260

I'm betting on Ibuki: it would be wiser to not release two charge characters back to back, and then two girls back to back. :)

Yeah, possibly, but I see Boxer being a bigger part of the June story mode, and therefore possibly playable in it.

BiggNife

Most of the time Day One combos like this one are not practical in actual use so no, I'm not worried

You can hypothesize all you want about how this is going to lead to someone figuring out a 100% damage combo or something but that doesn't mean it's likely. You're talking worst-case-scenario, which almost never happens.

It's going to take at least two or three weeks until we find out how Guile ranks, just like with Alex. No reason to go around screaming that the sky is falling just yet.

Its not practical though so its not an issue

SephLuis

Juri is showing more in story mode than any other of the remaining DLC, so I am hoping that she will be next because of the Story Mode DLC.

I also believe that weird leak months ago.Juri next, then either Balrog/Ibuki and Urien for last.

VariantX

『Inaba Resident』;202216661 said:
Its not practical though so its not an issue

While it doesn't seem problematic for damage alone, maybe there is a potential application to use a long guile combo to simply run out the clock?

tariniel

Has anyone already put Guile's frame data into a spreadsheet yet? I have it available on the Prima eGuide and was considering typing it up for everyone but not if it's already been done.

Can someone explain Guiles VTrigg properties?

I tried to do boom > vtrig > cmp > boom > 4 small booms > Super and it doesnt seem possible
where hp > vtrig > cmp > boom etc... works fine, is there not enough hitstun or something?

BiggNife

Juri is showing more in story mode than any other of the remaining DLC, so I am hoping that she will be next because of the Story Mode DLC.

I also believe that weird leak months ago.Juri next, then either Balrog/Ibuki and Urien for last.

Juri and Balrog definitely seem more connected to the story than Ibuki or Urien do so they're probably the most likely candidates.

Honestly I expect Urien's story to act as an epilogue for the cinematic story, as a way to link SFV to SF3

BiggNife

While it doesn't seem problematic for damage alone, maybe there is a potential application to use a long guile combo to simply run out the clock?

If someone can actually pull that off, that would be pretty impressive. I strongly doubt it would be common.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I tried to do boom > vtrig > cmp > boom > 4 small booms > Super and it doesnt seem possible
where hp > vtrig > cmp > boom etc... works fine, is there not enough hitstun or something?

You're probably not far enough back- you need a bit of distance for it to work, I believe; HP and c.MP together probably push you far enough.

Kikirin

It's likely a distance problem - if you're too close, the last small boom will hit too soon, and the hit stun from it will run out before the super links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom