• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
LEWD

am I doing this right
GKnYPuW.gif

GKnYPuW.gif

GKnYPuW.gif
Catching up on the day, god bless you Garrett

Found a shit-ton of new story bits from SRK. Some of it is known but there's some new stuff in here. I believe they come from a book with concept art and stuff about the characters and their links with other people/characters.

aww yiss
mutha
fuckin
story bits

bpMmuGs.gif

0.25x speed
pretty much

uThY6fB.gif

this one isn't even watermarked because I don't want it tagged to me LOL
JESUS CHRIST LMAO

sixghost

Has the lower skill player-base completely dropped out over the last couple weeks? I'm at 1500 lp and I'm constantly getting matched up against high-silver and higher. I think I've got maybe 3 bronze matches tonight.

Mediking

Has the lower skill player-base completely dropped out over the last couple weeks? I'm at 1500 lp and I'm constantly getting matched up against high-silver and higher. I think I've got maybe 3 bronze matches tonight.

As someone whose lower skilled.... I hardly play Ranked. I really freaking avoid it. I stick to Battle Lounge and Casuals.

Big Brett

I'm like high bronze usually and I only get matched with 1500+ it seems like lol

BiggNife

So here's a weird question that I'm not sure there is an answer for

If you've been using the same character for months and you want to switch, what's the best way to transition? Do you just keep using the character despite losing until it finally clicks or are there sometimes where it just isn't working and you go back to your main?

Basically, I've been using Vega since the betas, and I really enjoy using him - he is by far my best character. However, I know he has some really prominent flaws, namely is awful AA, and I was thinking about transitioning to someone else because of it.

Guile is really appealing to me for a number of reasons - The simplicity of his moveset, his strong keepaway game, his powerful AA, etc. But I just spent two hours playing as Guile online and all I did was lose.It just felt really frustrating. I switched back to Vega for a little bit and the difference is night and day: instead of worrying about my own inputs, I can focus entirely on the opponent's strategy since I know Vega like the back of my hand. Getting to that point with Guile feels like it's going to take forever and in the meantime I'm just going to lose every match and be stuck in Bronze.

I should mention that I'm super scrubby - with Vega I can at least stay within 1600-1800 LP but I'm well aware that's not much. Just getting to this point with Vega was a struggle for me.

The recent patch had less restrictions for faster matchmaking, but it's not like the matchmaking really worked well before though when it came to getting players who were equal in LP.

If you've been using the same character for months and you want to switch, what's the best way to transition? Do you just keep using the character despite losing until it finally clicks or are there sometimes where it just isn't working and you go back to your main?

Basically, I've been using Vega since the betas, and I really enjoy using him - he is by far my best character. However, I know he has some really prominent flaws, namely is awful AA, and I was thinking about transitioning to someone else because of it.

Guile is really appealing to me for a number of reasons - The simplicity of his moveset, his strong keepaway game, his powerful AA, etc. But I just spent two hours playing as Guile online and all I did was lose.It just felt really frustrating. I switched back to Vega for a little bit and the difference is night and day: instead of worrying about my own inputs, I can focus entirely on the opponent's strategy since I know Vega like the back of my hand. Getting to that point with Guile feels like it's going to take forever and in the meantime I'm just going to lose every match and be stuck in Bronze.

I should mention that I'm super scrubby - with Vega I can at least stay within 1600-1800 LP but I'm well aware that's not much. Just getting to this point with Vega was a struggle for me.

Go for it. The game's 2 and a half months old. It's not like you went from Vanilla to USF4 before you realize Deejay is ass and you need to switch.

Mediking

Never call yourself scrubby. Be proud of what you can do.

There's a big difference between playing a character you like and playing to win. BIG difference. Gootecks talks about this all the time. If you want RESULTS then you know what you gotta do.

Xeteh

Heh. You wanna see who has the better Cammy?

I've been having issues with servers all day. Played in two different lounges and I was getting disconnected for no real reason in both.

Edit: Apparently I had a stroke while writing that sentence.

mbpm1

I'm literally in your position lo

Played Vega for a bit although not since release since I changed characters and shopped around a bit.

Yesterday I was like "this feels wrong" but today I like him and am getting the hang of him

However, I do have exp with messign around with characters instead of staying still. For me the first day playing someone new is always tough, but afterwards I kind of sink into them unless I really dislike them or I can't understand their gameplan.

Fortunately, Guile's gameplan is pretty simple, so when I lose, I'm like "oh, I clearly should have done this" which helps the learning process I find.

rec0ded1

People on ranked with their mains are going ham so that makes it extra tough to just get your mind wrapped around a new character. You have anyone to lobby with and just goof around? Casuals are hit n miss butyou might run into others learning new characters.

mbpm1

Wait wait wait wait wait

Necalli's stomp not only cancels out projectiles, according to WNF it *is* a projectile

Guile's flash kick is projectile invincible.

So even though Guile has no inv reversal without meter, if he catches Necalli being predictable...

Damn, that explains all the times I just randomly did flash kick and beat a Necalli blockstring

Wait wait wait wait wait

Necalli's stomp not only cancels out projectiles, according to WNF it *is* a projectile

Guile's flash kick is projectile invincible.

So even though Guile has no inv reversal without meter, if he catches Necalli being predictable...

Damn, that explains all the times I just randomly did flash kick and beat a Necalli blockstring
Oh. oh dear.

All that time of being practically abused by Necalli as FANG.

Well that changes now.

Xeteh

Makes me wonder what that mod would do to Alex and Zangief. The former's suspenders would probably snap and Zangief might just explode.

He mentioned Zangief didn't even fit on the screen, so I'd imagine Alex would be similar. There is a screenshot of Birdie doing it around there, same deal.

Oh. oh dear.

All that time of being practically abused by Necalli as FANG.

Well that changes now.

Does it though?

SlimXx

Man prolly nothing new for you mika players, but I was really surprised by this, I guess the mp srk isn't invincible until he leaves the ground.

Ryu and Ken's MP SRK hits on frame 4 and is invincible from frame 1 to 6. Ryu also becomes airborne on frame 7, but Ken doesn't until frame 8. This means Ken has one frame (7) where he is both grounded and not invincible, which is the frame you grabbed him on.

Mika's -2 on blocked MP followed by her 5 frame start up on typhoon = frame 7 of Ken's reversal MP SRK. Mika's EX typhoon has the necessary range to dodge the startup of Ken's DP while still being in range to grab him before he leaves the ground.

Ryu and Ken's MP SRK hits on frame 4 and is invincible from frame 1 to 6. Ryu also becomes airborne on frame 7, but Ken doesn't until frame 8. This means Ken has one frame (7) where he is both grounded and not invincible, which is the frame you grabbed him on.

Mika's -2 on blocked MP followed by her 5 frame start up on typhoon = frame 7 of Ken's reversal MP SRK. Mika's EX typhoon has the necessary range to dodge the startup of Ken's DP while still being in range to grab him before he leaves the ground.

Interesting, so it wouldn't work on ryu, good to know.

ohkay

I haven't decided if I'm gonna switch yet, but i've been playing Cammy since release and picked up Karin a few weeks ago. I've been playing casuals to learn Karin and went from losing almost every game to winning about half my games. When I would get frustrated I would play some games with Cammy to lessen the salt and also make sure I can still play her. It's not like it's an either or situation, you can play both, but if you like the play style of another character, just keep at it until it clicks

...I'm asking a mod to close this thread, effective immediately.

The background characters are killing me.

Saw that video posted about Guile doing a 20+ hit combo, hope it's not a new trend of long pea shooter combos. Give me the Ryu special of 5 hits and 1/3 of my bar.
I really dislike watching or playing against long combos, reason MvC3 didn't click with me.

I think FANG will still get abused tho lol
it'd take some time in the lab but this means that I might be able to dash through the stomp if it's a heavy one and create some space. I'll see if it's viable though
Xian's FANG is pretty dang good. He oughta inspire anybody who wanna play FANG.
he'd inspire more people if he won which I just don't see happening. I've been playing fang almost since release and I honestly think FANG is holding xian back. He at least had that advantage earlier on of people not being familiar with him, something sonic fox took great advantage of at final round, but that's not gonna work anymore.

The. Fact that he can still do so well is more of a testament to xian's ability as a player.
The background characters are killing me.

Saw that video posted about Guile doing a 20+ hit combo, hope it's not a new trend of long pea shooter combos. Give me the Ryu special of 5 hits and 1/3 of my bar.
I really dislike watching or playing against long combos, reason MvC3 didn't click with me.
That's something that's only doable when
(a)Guile has V-Trigger
(b)He's got you in the corner
(c)He lands a hit on you

Not saying that's something that can't happen, it can. But it's still one strength of the character that one takes into consideration if you're fighting against him.

That's something that's only doable when
(a)Guile has V-Trigger
(b)He's got you in the corner
(c)He lands a hit on you

Not saying that's something that can't happen, it can. But it's still one strength of the character that one takes into consideration if you're fighting against him.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my post, it's not the damage or the easiness of the combo that bothers me, it's the time it takes to deal the damage.

12 seconds just to have him deal 350+ dmg. Just do the same thing in half the time and call it a day. Ryu does that in like 4 hits. Less flash more substance.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my post, it's not the damage or the easiness of the combo that bothers me, it's the time it takes to deal the damage.

12 seconds just to have him deal 350+ dmg. Just do the same thing in half the time and call it a day. Ryu does that in like 4 hits. Less flash more substance.
Oh yes that is true. But I guess it also plays into Guile's slower, more methodical style of play. Guile isn't the sort of character who wants to end a match as quickly as possible like say Necalli.

Is Guile's walk speed too fast? I've played with FANG since day one, so it could be that I'm so used to creeping around slowly, but Guile covers ground pretty quickly.

Steroyd

Dunno but I started playing ranked yesterday and got matched with a 1000 LP+ person when I had a measely 67LP.

galvenize

This is a combo that would deal 500+ when full health. Also notice that guile only used one EX move in all of that when most would require super to finish this off. Its actually insane.
This guile is the new Evil Ryu. Get on it Daigo.

KingBroly

Banned
This is a combo that would deal 500+ when full health. Also notice that guile only used one EX move in all of that when most would require super to finish this off. Its actually insane.
This guile is the new Evil Ryu. Get on it Daigo.

Guile taking off that much damage and that much clock on a combo is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom