• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Snake Eyez playing Alex might be my new favorite thing to watch in SFV. After seeing him beat fools with that slow Gief, watching him play Alex who can be so much faster is pretty awesome.
I was watching the French tournament and the announcers were saying that Snake said that he will always have a love for Gief but he wants to win too. I'm paraphrasing of course but I really do feel that they should have gave Gief more weapons to work with.

Whenever I come across one online...I can't imagine the amount of patience and skill it must take to be a good Gief player.

Random question: is there some read that indicates whether or not it's a good time to try jumping in, or is it just kind of a guess?

It's kind of a guess like most things in fighting games, but there's a lot context to the guess, some of which has to do with what your opponent has been doing so far, and some which has to do with spacing in my opinion.

Like your goal in a lot of the time when jumping from range, unless you're playing someone who just doesn't anti-air is to go over a poke, which can be a fireball or some other move with a lot of recovery like a heavy kick. A lot of the time a poke can be predictable because it has a particular advantageous range where they want to use it and you can see them looking for that range before they do. Of course the player can always find that range and then do nothing, but there's only so much time you can spend doing nothing if you actually want to do damage, and here's where you have to look for patterns and rhythms, while also trying to avoid falling into patterns yourself. So for example a lot of new players will always throw a fireball when the spacing is reset after a scramble and you can take advantage of that.

The spacing issue also applies to jumps themselves, they can be more advantageous for example at far ranges where an empty jump will make their anti air whiff, and also at cross up range where anti air can be more difficult. Your opponent will want to move about to avoid these ranges but this is where you use your own pokes to limit their movement. I also think it's a lot easier anti-air when the jumps are predictable and when your opponent uses more of their mid range options to take up mental space it gets a lot harder. Nash for example has so many things he can throw at you in the mid range it's easy to get overwhelmed and eat random dash grabs, and the dash grabs mean you feel pressured to poke and the poke can mean you eat a jump in.

It's also why I think you will land more jump ins with your opponent in the corner, since they can't make space behind them the pressure to throw a bad poke just mounts up.

Big Brett

It's kind of a guess like most things in fighting games, but there's a lot context to the guess, some of which has to do with what your opponent has been doing so far, and some which has to do with spacing in my opinion.

Like your goal in a lot of the time when jumping from range, unless you're playing someone who just doesn't anti-air is to go over a poke, which can be a fireball or some other move with a lot of recovery like a heavy kick. A lot of the time a poke can be predictable because it has a particular advantageous range where they want to use it and you can see them looking for that range before they do. Of course the player can always find that range and then do nothing, but there's only so much time you can spend doing nothing if you actually want to do damage, and here's where you have to look for patterns and rhythms, while also trying to avoid falling into patterns yourself. So for example a lot of new players will always throw a fireball when the spacing is reset after a scramble and you can take advantage of that.

The spacing issue also applies to jumps themselves, they can be more advantageous for example at far ranges where an empty jump will make their anti air whiff, and also at cross up range where anti air can be more difficult. Your opponent will want to move about to avoid these ranges but this is where you use your own pokes to limit their movement. I also think it's a lot easier anti-air when the jumps are predictable and when your opponent uses more of their mid range options to take up mental space it gets a lot harder. Nash for example has so many things he can throw at you in the mid range it's easy to get overwhelmed and eat random dash grabs, and the dash grabs mean you feel pressured to poke and the poke can mean you eat a jump in.

It's also why I think you will land more jump ins with your opponent in the corner, since they can't make space behind them the pressure to throw a bad poke just mounts up.

Thanks for the insight I knew there was a level of guessing but in that sense there's many options as to why jumping in is sometimes good. Appreciate the response! I'm learning so I'm just trying to figure out these things from people who know the game/genre much better than I.

Here's the official Capcom guides, they're basic but they're a start.

FANG
Chun-Li

Not sure how much you follow the FGC but Momochi, a Japanese player, has been making "lecture" videos for SFV. He hasn't done FANG yet but here's his one for Chun.

Chun-Li

While combos shouldn't be your focus early on, Bafael makes some comprehensive character BnB videos. He posts a pastebin link with all the combos in the description.

Chun-Li
FANG

Oh, I meant match videos. I don't have the game so teaching vids do nothing for me at the moment.

Mr. X

I feel Chun is going to have bad match ups with the rest of the DLC. Guile is looking bad for her, we got Ryu, Nash, Sim and Fang. People are discussing vs Vega and feel he has advantage. Lot of Chun's not a fan of vs Cammy. Necalli is a hot topic.

RIP Queen Li.

Big Brett

so out of the 140,000 between me (500) and this guile (1600) I guess the game couldn't find anyone.

also I beat him and killed his 11 streak and he didn't RQ so i guess all is right in the world fucking somehow

Xeteh

Oh, I meant match videos. I don't have the game so teaching vids do nothing for me at the moment.

Oh lol, my bad.

Search on youtube for Xian or SonicFox for FANG matches. They're really the only two that play him.
ChunLi there's so many people. Alioune and Ricki Ortiz are the first that come to mind. There are seriously so many Chun players they all melt together.

so out of the 140,000 between me (500) and this guile (1600) I guess the game couldn't find anyone.

also I beat him and killed his 11 streak and he didn't RQ so i guess all is right in the world fucking somehow
I think with Guile he's so new that the points man even less than usual. I've been destroyed by players with like 500 LP and easily beat some with 4k+. Everyone just wants to try out the new guy.

Big Brett

I think with Guile he's so new that the points man even less than usual. I've been destroyed by players with like 500 LP and easily beat some with 4k+. Everyone just wants to try out the new guy.

yeah it's just a total puzzle how the matchmaking works in this game lol. he took me 2-1 but that one win felt good

Two things I learned recently from playing with some friends with Guile in the mix.

Guile's answer to nash's moonsault kick is just .... f+lk. Seriously. Either it hits him and beats the moonsault, or it's early and it moves forward and places you on the other side.

And FANG's poison balls cancel into EX dash is a serious issue for a character that wants to be throwing sonic booms practically every second or so.

Guile's v-skill recovery is so fast that I can't even EX elbow it on reaction with laura if he shoots a sonic boom right after it. Another match up for me to hate :(

wamberz1

Haven't played this game in a bit cause I was busy, but HOLY SHIT does making it best of 3 improve the game. Way, way less time searching for matches and overall way more fun.
I'm loving both guile and alex so far, if this is the quality we can expect from further dlc characters then you have my money capcom.

That being said Apparently everyone switched to ryu and ken while I was gone because I think I've fought about 30 of each and no other character.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Played for a solid 2 hours, lost about 500 BP because the game only ranked me with people who had at least two to three times the BP I had.

Just garbage matchmaking in this game. Matched me up with the same guy who had 3000 BP 5 times (I have 700)

Maybe Im just the only player in North America under 1k BP. Who knows.

Zerojul

Guile is so good that at my scrubby level I can play like shit and make a ton of mistakes and still win most of my games.
For a former Sim/Gief player that's an astonishing change of pace.

jett

D-Member
Ugh, we NEED a region filter for Battle Lounges. I'm sick of hosting lobbies only to be relentlessly joined by Korean and Japanese players who'll immediately leave after they enter. I can barely find good matches here, so I'm forced to go to ranked/casual matchmaking, and that really sucks.

Battle lounges are just dumb. I always get people from Asia and or with flags I don't even recognize.

Or 2 months after launch...

or 3 months...

It's not coming for a long time, me thinks.

Its a trap lol. Giving you the characters for free for now, that way you spend all your fight monies on other things. That way when the shop does finally open you got no fight monies left and boom youre fucked.

Xeteh

Or 2 months after launch...

or 3 months...

It's not coming for a long time, me thinks.

While its pretty stupid I respect them for not trying to rush it out in hopes for some money, they recognize if its poorly implemented it could cost them so much and destroy the game.

That being said, I'm still not sure why they don't just use the PSN Store front. Buy Zenny from PSN, get it in game.

Its a trap lol. Giving you the characters for free for now, that way you spend all your fight monies on other things. That way when the shop does finally open you got no fight monies left and boom youre fucked.

No joke, its why I ended up getting the season pass. I kept wanting to spend my FM on random bullshit and I knew I would want all the characters anyways.

I just want Laura's premium costume

it's way better than her story one

Alex's story costume is better than Laura's.

KingBroly

Banned
While its pretty stupid I respect them for not trying to rush it out in hopes for some money, they recognize if its poorly implemented it could cost them so much and destroy the game.

That being said, I'm still not sure why they don't just use the PSN Store front. Buy Zenny from PSN, get it in game.

That's probably what the hold up is. It shouldn't be that hard.

I decided to download a few mods:
- Profile fix (no Guile update yet)
- Decapre
- Silk Chun Default
- Shiny Mika
- Old Camera

I wish this stuff didn't replace the default costumes, but were instead additional things. But oh well, it's nice stuff.

To be fair, same applies for practically every cr.hk

Not necessarily IMO. Characters like Chun and Karin have very long reaching sweeps and they can use it at a range that I don't think most characters have a hard time punishing or can't punish outside of Super. Some just have it a little better than others like Ken because his sweep slides through like butter so people might react a little late to it. Ryu's sweep on the other hand has massive hit stop. It basically screams out "punish me".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom