• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotia

Banned
Some drawings from a Japanese SFV dev. showing Azam doing some moves.

ChHoxLeUgAEh_Ds.jpg

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/725616946826211329/photo/1

ChQErmvUYAIYp8g.jpg

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/726210587449954304/photo/1

^^ That look like Zangief's j.hk and Lariat respectively.

Makes sense since they seem to be old friends and might have been partners in training.

Has the lower skill player-base completely dropped out over the last couple weeks? I'm at 1500 lp and I'm constantly getting matched up against high-silver and higher. I think I've got maybe 3 bronze matches tonight.

Matchmaking in this game is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I'm at ultra bronze and I'm lucky if I get matched against maybe one regular silver ranked player in 20 matches. The other 19 times it's a constant stream of anything between super silver to ultra fucking platinum. I had to fight someone called 'TheGoldRoom' who was ranked 12th in the world the other day.

It's getting fucking boring now. I don't care about my rank, or give a single shit about losing the 5 points I lose each match. I'd just like to have fun playing competitive games with players within a few thousand ranks of me at least.

ohkay

Am I one of the few people who likes playing people much higher than me? I feel like they expose my weaknesses a lot better and I can learn more from it since they're a lot better at punishing unsafe moves and anti-airing.

Also, the RQ punishment will probably take a while to have an affect since people are gonna RQ until they actually get placed in timeout

KingBroly

Banned
The damage is nothing out of the ordinary for this game.

The time watching the combo is an issue, for sure...if it becomes common place to land these loops, anyway.

It's the combination that makes it bullshit. If you had a character that was like...a time management one but did very little damage through insanely long combos, that'd be great. But combining it with the damage Guile does is what irks me.

It's the combination that makes it bullshit. If you had a character that was like...a time management one but did very little damage through insanely long combos, that'd be great. But combining it with the damage Guile does is what irks me.
I think they went for something similar in design with FANG. A character who can use hit and run style tactics to cause an enemy to slowly but surely lose life, gaining him an advantage if the match wears on and it's in a neutral situation.

Skilletor

I mean... That's essentially is what is happening. He's doing similar damage over a longer period of time.

It's easy to fix, though. Just make the lp boom in vtrig take more meter. Bam. Less loops.

KingBroly

Banned

I'm at ultra bronze and I'm lucky if I get matched against maybe one regular silver ranked player in 20 matches. The other 19 times it's a constant stream of anything between super silver to ultra fucking platinum. I had to fight someone called 'TheGoldRoom' who was ranked 12th in the world the other day.

It's getting fucking boring now. I don't care about my rank, or give a single shit about losing the 5 points I lose each match. I'd just like to have fun playing competitive games with players within a few thousand ranks of me at least.

I 100% think it's because of how poorly the game sold due to Capcom's insane logic of single player/proper tutorials not being important and their insane reliance on the community to teach players the game.

Am I one of the few people who likes playing people much higher than me? I feel like they expose my weaknesses a lot better and I can learn more from it since they're a lot better at punishing unsafe moves and anti-airing.

Also, the RQ punishment will probably take a while to have an affect since people are gonna RQ until they actually get placed in timeout

Honestly, that's true but I have zero aspirations to be the next Daigo and I don't have the time to practice enough to get there anyway. I'd be perfectly happy to compete against other people of a similar skill level and if I get better and rank up as I go then great, I suppose. Only the matchmaking in this game flat out does not work and just throws a constant barrage of players who are tens of thousands of ranks higher than me were it's enough of a struggle to get in a hit here and there.

Also, surely it's not much fun for platinum or gold players constantly rolling over bronze ranks?

Skilletor

I 100% think it's because of how poorly the game sold due to Capcom's insane logic of single player/proper tutorials not being important and their insane reliance on the community to teach players the game.

I think it's both matchmaking and sales. I have two accounts and on one just got out of bronze into silver, usually same ranked opponents. I never have to wait long.

Mediking

Never play Ranked. Stick to Casual and Battle Lounge.

Played ranked yesterday because they started the punishment system. Play against my first opponent, a Ken. Beat the Ken. Ken wants a rematch. Beat the Ken agai- oh wait he rage quits and I don't get anything for it.

ever since the patch the game plays like shit online. constant lag leading to the game reading single button inputs as multiple and other annoying shit

Played ranked yesterday because they started the punishment system. Play against my first opponent, a Ken. Beat the Ken. Ken wants a rematch. Beat the Ken agai- oh wait he rage quits and I don't get anything for it.

i thought you get points if the other guy ragequits. that's what the video said last page.

BiggNife

Thanks for the responses, guys. Gave me some perspective.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna switch yet, but i've been playing Cammy since release and picked up Karin a few weeks ago. I've been playing casuals to learn Karin and went from losing almost every game to winning about half my games. When I would get frustrated I would play some games with Cammy to lessen the salt and also make sure I can still play her. It's not like it's an either or situation, you can play both, but if you like the play style of another character, just keep at it until it clicks
Yeah, this is what I think I'm gonna do. Not give up Vega entirely but continue to mess around with Guile in Casuals until he clicks.

Mediking

Matchmaking seems equally shite in casual so it doesn't really make any difference to have both match types open other than getting in a game faster.

You don't lose rank in Casual so getting paired up against somebody higher rank than you in Casual means nothing and is pure good practice.

Xeteh

Can anyone hook me up with some good Chun-Li and Fang vids?

Here's the official Capcom guides, they're basic but they're a start.

FANG
Chun-Li

Not sure how much you follow the FGC but Momochi, a Japanese player, has been making "lecture" videos for SFV. He hasn't done FANG yet but here's his one for Chun.

Chun-Li

While combos shouldn't be your focus early on, Bafael makes some comprehensive character BnB videos. He posts a pastebin link with all the combos in the description.

Chun-Li
FANG

I usually dont play ranked and mostly stick to casuals. But yeah i noticed lately i get paired up with way higher ranked players since my rank is still ultra bronze. But I am not that bad at this game and can usually beat lot of silver ranked players. Especially since guile came out. With how he plays almost exactly like he always did my knowledge of this character is usually enough to get me with the win who just plays "Rushdown fighter V." Once they are forced to play the game like i want them to play they panic and get frustrated and I usually win lol.Most people are not used to just trying to get in 90% of the time lol just to start their offense haha.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I typically do, yes, though not *too* high-level. I have played Edzi a handful of times and feel the gap between us is wide enough for me to learn as I play, but not enough where I am overwhelmed to the point of frustration/hopelessness every round.

sixghost

Is Dhalsim's LK slide safe on block if it's spaced properly? The frame data says its -7, but I was constantly getting counter hit by his cr.lp afterwards. Was I just messing up the timing?

Trey

I almost feel like Guile's should end the combo short and use the remaining v-trigger for pressure / the next mixup.

well, this is a classic choice for most characters: more guaranteed damage at the end of a combo, or more resources for mixups? like everything, context drives this decision.

Big Brett

Random question: is there some read that indicates whether or not it's a good time to try jumping in, or is it just kind of a guess?

Xeteh

well, this is a classic choice for most characters: more guaranteed damage at the end of a combo, or more resources for mixups? like everything, context drives this decision.

For sure. Most higher level Cammy players will use just go for Spiral Arrow alone instead of Spiral in to Cannon Spike so that they have VTrigger left to work with. Sometimes they deem it worth going for the damage but it happens less frequently. I'm not really confident in my ability to open people up so I tend to just go for the Cannon Spike.

Random question: is there some read that indicates whether or not it's a good time to try jumping in, or is it just kind of a guess?

Its really a read on the player. If they're throwing a ton of fireballs or you're forcing them to fear the throw when you're up in their face, you can try a jump in. If you see they're not anti-airing you well you can force them to learn.

HardRojo

^^ That look like Zangief's j.hk and Lariat respectively.

Makes sense since they seem to be old friends and might have been partners in training.
He's doing and Eagle Spike and a Spinning Mixer, but Rashid comments that those moves "are not quite right", so the Gief similarities are probably intended lol.

Edit: Wait! So the player who got RQ'd on doesn't get the points? Fuck that shit!

sixghost

Thanks for the responses, guys. Gave me some perspective.

Yeah, this is what I think I'm gonna do. Not give up Vega entirely but continue to mess around with Guile in Casuals until he clicks.

I've been making it a point to learn a lot of new characters in this game, which is the exact opposite of what I did in 4. In my experience, you get your ass kicked for the first night, start to figure a few things out on the second night, and then I'm comfortable on the 3rd night.

Generally plan is to spend the first 10 or so matches getting comfortable with the character's normals, movement, jump arc, throw range, etc. I really don't care if I'm winning at this point, just make it a point to try different things out. Try to build up the muscle memory for your anti-air buttons, stuff like that.

Then I go and learn a quick punish combo, like something that starts with a 3-5 frame move, a big damage combo to punish really unsafe stuff, and a crush counter combo.

Once I can do those on command in matches, I'll go watch pro matches or streams to copy their setups, watch what they do on different knockdowns, etc.

I'm not good enough to go past that, which is part of the reason I'm trying to play so many characters. It's been enjoyable though. Playing characters with different weaknesses forces you to get better as a player. Using Vega was really difficult for me since I have bad reactions, and he has no easy anti-air button like Chun or Birdie, so it forced me to focus more on the distance between me and my opponent.

In general though the best advice is to just not give a fuck about your LP. Even if you lose a ton of points learning a new character, you'll either gain it back as you get better, or you can get them all back easily by going back to your best character.

Xeteh

Man, Snake Eyez playing Alex might be my new favorite thing to watch in SFV. After seeing him beat fools with that slow Gief, watching him play Alex who can be so much faster is pretty awesome.

Thanks. I've been using just the spinny disc as a real poor man's Aegis Reflector, but the projectile could be helpful.

No problem!

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, we NEED a region filter for Battle Lounges. I'm sick of hosting lobbies only to be relentlessly joined by Korean and Japanese players who'll immediately leave after they enter. I can barely find good matches here, so I'm forced to go to ranked/casual matchmaking, and that really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom