• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

yeah I definitely think the matchmaking has somehow gotten worse with the Guile patch

I didn't even know that was possible but Capcpom gonna Capcpom

BiggNife

Also protip for Vega players

If you attempt VTrigger into Super and the VTrigger is blocked, do the super anyway

"But Bigg," you say, "That's stupid! You're just going to waste meter!"

To that I say, in my experience, literally 9 out of 10 times it connects

No one remembers to block after blocking the VTrigger

There is no way that this should work but it totally does

mbpm1

If you attempt VTrigger into Super and the VTrigger is blocked, do the super anyway

I was doing this before it was cool

Optional Followups

Slide because even if they block they insist on walking away

EX Flying Barcelona for safety on the 1/10 chance they block (but why bother)

mbpm1

Finally getting a hang of Guile I think.

Since I've never played a charge character furreal, I lost tons of matches bc I didn't understand how to use charge. I would hold onto charge too obsessively or get rid of it at the wrong moments, and I didn't know why I lost. It seems pretty dependent on reading your opponent's rhythm too, like when he wants to jump or when he wants to move forward in a place where your command normals would hit but not a sonic boom.

It's making more and more sense now though. Neat

Tizoc

Umm is anyone else not getting FM from completing trials? I'm assuming this is a glitch as I did get FM from completing various character trials even if I don't finsh all 10 of them.

At any rate, how do I do this Karin Trial?
Jumping HK
Cr. MK
QCF+K, P
QCF+K, Dwn+P

The last move never connects @_@

Umm is anyone else not getting FM from completing trials? I'm assuming this is a glitch as I did get FM from completing various character trials even if I don't finsh all 10 of them.

Jumping HK
Cr. MK
QCF+K, P
QCF+K, Dwn+P

The timing on that last hit is weird as hell. I just lucked into it after 20 minutes.

Some people pull that shit off consistently though.

yeah I definitely think the matchmaking has somehow gotten worse with the Guile patch

I didn't even know that was possible but Capcpom gonna Capcpom
The search function takes much longer on my end and it constantly tries to connect me to 2 bar players instead of the 4-5 ones I ask for in the search options. Part of me thinks it's not Capcom, but the number of online players that is just cratering.

i just got a blank victory screen and leveled from 22 to 23 anyway, complete with 1k fight money.

seems your stuff is safe when you see that screen.

Xeteh

Jumping HK
Cr. MK
QCF+K, P
QCF+K, Dwn+P

For the Orochi (QCF+K, D+P) just input QCFD+K>P

K in to P same way you do the fastest Tenko.

That trial took me 3 hours to do my first try, I can do it within a handful attempts now.

Jumping HK
Cr. MK
QCF+K, P
QCF+K, Dwn+P

You'll have more luck not doing it in the corner.

BiggNife

The search function takes much longer on my end and it constantly tries to connect me to 2 bar players instead of the 4-5 ones I ask for in the search options. Part of me thinks it's not Capcom, but the number of online players that is just cratering.

Yeah I dunno. I honestly thought that the Guile update would've brought some lapsed players back in, but the combination of waiting forever for matchmaking plus the fact that I consistently play against much higher ranked players says otherwise.

Mediking

imo they need to sell some kind of cosmetics pack, like all story mode + premium costumes + all colours for $30 or something. It would make tournaments so much more interesting
and my life so much easier LOL

But that would make too much sense. That's also something the Season Pass should've offered.

HardRojo

Vegas do either that or sweep, so as a DPless Nash, I just keep blocking and punish accordingly.

Whales

Banned
anyone up for a lobby? im kinda rusty because of guile lol , I try to play everyone like a charge char now

CFN: Whales

Sigh I need some break from Karin.. What character of Guile and Mika is most beginner friendly/easy to learn?:p
bf1db0cb.jpg

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i suck so badly at this but i want to get better. i don't feel that playing the training mode is really helping me. i'm playing with CPU difficulty at 4 or 5. i'm not sure how to really do anything other than the basic attacks. when the meters fill up they are difficult to activate so i end up getting hit. not sure if it's my controller or i'm just doing it wrong. i was mostly playing a ryu and sometimes i can do that hadouken move but when i try it again it just doesn't work. i haven't won a single casual match yet. not even gonna attempt ranked.

i suck so badly at this but i want to get better. i don't feel that playing the training mode is really helping me. i'm playing with CPU difficulty at 4 or 5. i'm not sure how to really do anything other than the basic attacks. when the meters fill up they are difficult to activate so i end up getting hit. not sure if it's my controller or i'm just doing it wrong. i was mostly playing a ryu and sometimes i can do that hadouken move but when i try it again it just doesn't work. i haven't won a single casual match yet. not even gonna attempt ranked.

You need to play people who can train you, people who punish things you are doing wrong and will keep doing things you aren't punishing.

Edgeward

Where can I see the get-up frames for the characters? I always miss my meaties with Alex because of his slower get up

Well then you aren't using training mode properly. Do you have key inputs on? Have you tried doing fireballs over and over til you can do it ten times in a row? If it's down to plain execution then seeing how you move the stick and if you are hitting the diagonals or far enough to make the motion to end in forward is important to understand and build muscle memory. Another thing is that a fireball can't be summoned until the current one on screen dissipates, so that could be another reason. Your sentence can be vague. CPU will not replace the pressure you will face when up against a real human. And CPU won't have tendencies that you can gameplan around that will be useful in real fights.

Haha I love that Mika pic. Looks like a Sailor Moon girl.

My gf already hate me for playing Ohohohohohoohoho all day long. Cant wait to throw out dem buttcheeks 24/7.

I don't understand how a gold gets +55 from me an ultra silver yet I only get -34 from a regular silver

Even with Ferrio's explanation, it's still strange to me. I got to Super Gold yesterday by beating a Ultra silver twice. I was sitting barely above 5400 but received 55 points each time I beat him.

Me personally I think I've played more Casual than rank in the past month. And that's because I care too much about those stupid points. What can I say, they're kind of precious to me. I don't quit during matches to avoid losing points, but I have avoided playing rank because I don't want to stress about gaining and losing points. It's not a big deal, but not having that on my mind all the time makes the experience more relaxing.

Palom

Me personally I think I've played more Casual than rank in the past month. And that's because I care too much about those stupid points. What can I say, they're kind of precious to me. I don't quit, but I have avoided playing rank because I don't want to stress about gaining and losing points. It's not a big deal, but not having that on my mind all the time makes the experience more relaxing.
As soon as I hit silver, I went casual only for a month straight. I finally went back to ranked yesterday and hit gold, and now I'm going right back to casuals only. I'll worry about the 300 win trophy after I get the 1M fight money trophy. There's too much bullshit that's out of my control in ranked that makes it not fun. Between the lag and the lopsided matchups, at least in casuals you have nothing to lose.

I wouldn't necessarily call people who want content casuals, nor imply that they aren't willing to care about the gameplay and such. I mean, I was a little letdown by the content, but I'd consider myself "hardcore but still shit at the game".

However, it's a shitfest no matter where you go with this game, and some of the people just wanna hop on the bandwagon of hate because it's fun. I've done my fair share of it too, so I'm no angel.

Yeah I don't mean to knock people who want more from the game as I can understand where they come from. Someone like me who has been playing fgs for years doesn't expect much from them. Local versus and training is all I ever used in these games. Arcade mode was only done for unlocking characters and I'd never touch it again after that.

I understand that I am a different breed than most and can relate to people who want more from games these days though.

Mupod

after observing a pretty good Bison in the EGLX top 8 I attended yesterday I think I can adapt to imitate his playstyle with some practice. An attainable kind of goal.

In particular he was deadly in psycho power mode because he kept catching people with crossup dash-LK-psycho ball into EX scissors for a shit ton of damage. I've traditionally had trouble cancelling single light moves because I am a slow old man but I seem to more or less have this down after some practice. Had no luck in the one online match I played but that was a very laggy Ken.

Just got that Ohohohoohoho title, (they spelled it wrong damn you capcom you had one job), its a sign that I gotta spread my wings a little.

Edgeward

As soon as I hit silver, I went casual only for a month straight. I finally went back to ranked yesterday and hit gold, and now I'm going right back to casuals only. I'll worry about the 300 win trophy after I get the 1M fight money trophy. There's too much bullshit that's out of my control in ranked that makes it not fun. Between the lag and the lopsided matchups, at least in casuals you have nothing to lose.

That was my experience too. I hit casuals and lounges after hitting silver and came back this weekend to ranked and find myself having an easy time to reach ultra silver so far. But still matchmaking of different ranks is still not good. So it's back to casuals mostly until the next tune up.

Mediking

I'm learning Karin. Please help me become good with her. And yeah... go ahead and laugh. INB4: "You're always talking about Cammy's health. So why are you learning another character who has the same bad health as Cammy? HAHA!"

sixghost

Is there any way Guile can win a fireball war with Ryu? It doesn't seem like there's enough time to do the VSkill combo.

Just got that Ohohohoohoho title, (they spelled it wrong damn you capcom you had one job), its a sign that I gotta spread my wings a little.

How do you get those titles?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm learning Karin. Please help me become good with her. And yeah... go ahead and laugh. INB4: "You're always talking about Cammy's health. So why are you learning another character who has the same bad health as Cammy? HAHA!"

You can take a 100 of my health in exchange for the best dp in the game any time.

hwateber

Even with Ferrio's explanation, it's still strange to me. I got to Super Gold yesterday by beating a Ultra silver twice. I was sitting barely above 5400 but received 55 points each time I beat him.

Me personally I think I've played more Casual than rank in the past month. And that's because I care too much about those stupid points. What can I say, they're kind of precious to me. I don't quit during matches to avoid losing points, but I have avoided playing rank because I don't want to stress about gaining and losing points. It's not a big deal, but not having that on my mind all the time makes the experience more relaxing.
Yeah the points don't make sense to me either. I was sitting at 3017 and ended up losing 96 to a 2700. Like how does that even make sense lol. I've lost less points to lower ranks. It all seems really inconsistent

Csr

Anyone from europe up for some matches?
Having trouble finding matches quickly at this hour.
I am super plat but a little rusty and i will be using alt chars mostly.

Whales

Banned
The new matchmaking system is pretty bad IMO

I used to get matches at a pretty good speed with people near my rank

Now I wait about the same amount of time and only play 3k lp+ people :I

Morris

Disco Devil
what was that disconnect about? I swear I didnt ragequit that lol @morris

Yeah that was odd but it happens sometimes. GGs. It got laggy towards the end but it was good though, I'm surprised I can have 5 bars against a canadian :eek:

Quick advice against Alex would be to try practicing whiff punishing when you're in the mid range. Also v-reversal against Alex a lot more, you need to avoid being put into situations where he's plus and can start his offense, most importantly against meaty lariat, you're at a massive disadvantage on block. Also don't let me jump over hadoukens, try using lp hadouken when you're in you opponent's jumping range and always have an mp dp ready to anti air.

edit: oh and also punish st hk on block with dp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom