• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whales

Banned
Yeah that was odd but it happens sometimes. GGs. It got laggy towards the end but it was good though, I'm surprised I can have 5 bars against a canadian :eek:

Quick advice against Alex would be to try practicing whiff punishing when you're in the mid range. Also v-reversal against Alex a lot more, you need to avoid being put into situations where he's plus and can start his offense, most importantly against meaty lariat, you're at a massive disadvantage on block. Also don't let me jump over hadoukens, try using lp hadouken when you're in you opponent's jumping range and always have an mp dp ready to anti air.

edit: oh and also punish st hk on block with dp!

dang, that's punishable by a dp? I had no clue

also you literally never used that foot stomp or jump grab thingy, if you start implementing those during matches your alex would be even more scary! thanks for the tips

Anyone from europe up for some matches?
Having trouble finding matches quickly at this hour.
I am super plat but a little rusty and i will be using alt chars mostly.
Thanks for the matches. Ca55ern, where have I heard that name before?

Anyway, I'm sorry I had to leave. The lag was too bad. I would do a move and it would hit but then things glitched and you hit me instead and everytime I did a move that used meter, the move would start, get stuffed and the meter wasn't spent. I totally missed the part where you said "Europe".

Great games though, I felt like I learned a few things from a 155 rank super plat.

If you don't mind, could you give me some feedback on my game?

Csr

Thanks for the matches. Ca55ern, where have I heard that name before?

Anyway, I'm sorry I had to leave. The lag was too bad. I would do a move and it would hit but then things glitched and you hit me instead and everytime I did a move that used meter, the move would start, get stuffed and the meter wasn't spent. I totally missed the part where you said "Europe".

Great games though, I felt like I learned a few things from a 155 rank super plat.

If you don't mind, could you give me some feedback on my game?

Yeah it was laggy, especially at the start of every match for some reason, sounds like you had it a lot worst, for me it wasn't that bad.

Imo your biggest weakness was when you were being pressured. You need more patience and look for opponents tendencies in the situation.

My main is nash though so i knew what to expect in general.

edit: oh and thanks for the matches. lol i said that already anyway,
anyone else from europe up for some matches?

Yeah it was laggy, especially at the start of every match for some reason, sounds like you had it a lot worst, for me it wasn't that bad.

Imo your biggest weakness was when you were being pressured. You need more patience and look for opponents tendencies in the situation.

My main is nash though so i knew what to expect in general.

edit: oh and thanks for the matches. lol i said that already anyway,
anyone else from europe up for some matches?
Ok, Thank you.

FluxWaveZ

Anyone here hear of Chi-Rithy?

Went to the World Gaming SFV regional finals in my area, and ended up making it to grand finals from the losers bracket only to be eliminated 3-0 by the Chun-Li player by that name. It was real convincing and apparently he's one of the best players in Canada, so I don't feel too bad. Got a $50 PSN card, so I guess that's cool... But man, I wanted that $10k so bad, haha.

I learned that there actually are regular weeklies in my area from people telling me after our match, so it wasn't a total loss. Still have so much to improve...

Zackat

Went to the World Gaming SFV regional finals in my area, and ended up making it to grand finals from the losers bracket only to be eliminated 3-0 by the Chun-Li player by that name. It was real convincing and apparently he's one of the best players in Canada, so I don't feel too bad. Got a $50 PSN card, so I guess that's cool... But man, I wanted that $10k so bad, haha.

I learned that there actually are regular weeklies in my area from people telling me after our match, so it wasn't a total loss. Still have so much to improve...

cursory google search shows he was a CCG sponsored? like Air was/is so he is probably pretty good. There's a match of him playing against Smug in SFIV at Canada Cup. Can't say more than that because I don't know too much. Good job though!

Quesa

The name rings a bell, yeah.

Csr

Yeah sure he is a known player in the fgc. He was even invited in that fight night show for sfiv

I know him, he was a top Canadian player through out almost the entirety of the SF4 era. He won plenty of Canadian tournaments and placed high in many US tournaments as well. No shame losing to him.

Did he really get 10k? I thought that tourney was suppose to be a qualifier to go to the finals where you can win 10k there? I mean that's a hell of a difference if he really got 10k and you got a 50$ PSN card lol.

FluxWaveZ

Did he really get 10k? I thought that tourney was suppose to be a qualifier to go to the finals where you can win 10k there? I mean that's a hell of a difference if he really got 10k and you got a 50$ PSN card lol.

Oh no, I'm just talking about how I was eyeing the grand prize of the whole shebang (though, of course, I knew inside I wouldn't be able to make it; not with my current skill). You're correct: those who win the regional finals get sent to Toronto and get a paid hotel stay for a chance to win the $10k at the Championship Finals. That'll be streamed later this month.

I got a free movie ticket and $50 PSN. He got a unique jersey; seeing his Twitter, here's a pic of him in it:
ChaJ2krW0AAPVgF.jpg

Big Brett

Dude, regardless that's great man! Didn't you say that was your first tournament? I might be mistaken.

FluxWaveZ

Dude, regardless that's great man! Didn't you say that was your first tournament? I might be mistaken.

Technically, I had gone to 2 other local events ever for Persona 4 Arena years ago, but I don't like counting those. This was basically my first real tournament, yeah.

It's not an excuse, but man were the monitors actually laggy. It took me a couple of sets to adjust; I guess it's because they were channeling video to the huge theater screen and all that, but it was real noticeable. Reminded me of years ago with ChrisG, heh. Also, it was pretty damn loud and that was a bit distracting; I guess that's something one gets used to the more they participate in events like this.

Grimsen

You did real good. I hate Mika so much.

Like others have said, Chi-Rithy's pretty well known. I don't know if there's still a scene in MTL anymore, though. SRK thread's dead, and the mtlsf site doesn't look updated.

I mean, the Montreal regional only managed to get 10 players out of the theoretical maximum of 32. It's really not like it used to be. :/

FluxWaveZ

Like others have said, Chi-Rithy's pretty well known. I don't know if there's still a scene in MTL anymore, though. SRK thread's dead, and the mtlsf site doesn't look updated.

I mean, the Montreal regional only managed to get 10 players out of the theoretical maximum of 32. It's really not like it used to be. :/

I hear the downfall of Foonzo beget the downfall of our scene. I remember hearing that we had a bunch of events before, but the reason I didn't think we had one now was because I wasn't hearing anything and there was only emptiness on the SRK match-up forums. The guys there were telling me about 2 specific Facebook groups after seeing that I was okay for someone they had never seen before: MTLSF and Smash Loft. Apparently they have regular weeklies, and they're actually looking to get a new place soon.

Xeteh

Damn Flux, still crazy good for your first tournament. Grats man.

Grimsen

I hear the downfall of Foonzo beget the downfall of our scene. I remember hearing that we had a bunch of events before, but the reason I didn't think we had one now was because I wasn't hearing anything and there was only emptiness on the SRK match-up forums. The guys there were telling me about 2 specific Facebook groups after seeing that I was okay for someone they had never seen before: MTLSF and Smash Loft. Apparently they have regular weeklies, and they're actually looking to get a new place soon.

Cool. Local comp is so much fun. I miss the arcade days lol.

Whales

Banned

Woah, theres some people from MTL here?

I'm from MTL too!

vulva

Good stuff man, I got 5th at mine here in Toronto. I lost to the same Ken twice, but all I really wanted was a movie pass so I'm happy. I couldn't compete in the big finals regardless since I'm moving out of the country in a few weeks. The event here was fine, just a bit stupid. Still had a good time though.

MTL has some great players though. Chi Rithy, Snafoo, Rami and Heero come to mind immediately. I love those dudes. I always end up running in to Henry (chi rithy) in the weirdest places too.

Also the legend Ed Ma lives in MTL now working with ubisoft mtl. Definitely hit up your locals man, I think you already missed the MTL major a couple weeks ago but they're great dudes.

SephLuis

Any videos from the fight ?

I feel I could learn a lot watching this Chun

FluxWaveZ

The event here was fine, just a bit stupid. Still had a good time though.

Our went SO slow. For only a handful of people, it still took 4+ hours to unfold. Still, there was something compelling about watching multiple matches going on at once on a large theater screen.

And yeah, I guess I'll take them up on their offer to participate in the weeklies. I should become a better player if I do.

Any videos from the fight ?

I feel I could learn a lot watching this Chun

No, sorry. None of that was recorded and I think all regional finals were local to the theaters only; the championships will be streamed online, though.

A quick YouTube search gives me some results, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMhrU50bXw

Xevren

Good stuff getting to grand finals, were you able to find the facebook stuff?

Actually I just remembered something, Montreal group if you need it.

Here's a real handy place to see if you have any sort of locals around you at least!

FluxWaveZ

Good stuff getting to grand finals, were you able to find the facebook stuff?

Actually I just remembered something, Montreal group if you need it.

Here's a real handy place to see if you have any sort of locals around you at least!

Yeah, that MTLSF one is the one I was told about. I'll join that as well as the Smash Loft one, I think. Playing online is just so much more accessible than having to go somewhere for this stuff, but I might as well try them out a few times.

And wow, that map is pretty cool.

Here is something I've been thinking about for a bit after my match:

Qa6yKWk.jpg

Does this diagram make sense? It's real simple stuff, but I think it's a fundamental point I need to hammer in my head more, if it's accurate.

SephLuis

Yeah, that MTLSF one is the one I was told about. I'll join that as well as the Smash Loft one, I think. Playing online is just so much more accessible than having to go somewhere for this stuff, but I might as well try them out a few times.

And wow, that map is pretty cool.

Here is something I've been thinking about for a bit after my match:

Qa6yKWk.jpg

Does this diagram make sense? It's real simple stuff, but I think it's a fundamental point I need to hammer in my head more, if it's accurate.

I wouldn't simplify that much because of characters like Rashid or, eventually, Juri where the fireball has an awkward trajectory.

Then there's characters like Necalli or Karin that doesn't have fireballs, even if some of their attacks use the same trajectory.

mbpm1

I like how Cammy is the one who has a title named "Flash Kick" but not Guile.

I wouldn't simplify that much because of characters like Rashid or, eventually, Juri where the fireball has an awkward trajectory.

Then there's characters like Necalli or Karin that doesn't have fireballs, even if some of their attacks use the same trajectory.
Ground also loses to jump if they use an attack with a long recovery/at the wrong timing.

FluxWaveZ

You're right; I was possibly thinking too much about the Chun-Li MU for R. Mika and expanding it. Gotta think more about that one; I do think Chun-Li, Ryu and (maybe?) Ken are R. Mika's worst MUs.

Xeteh

You're right; I was possibly thinking too much about the Chun-Li MU for R. Mika and expanding it. Gotta think more about that one; I do think Chun-Li, Ryu and (maybe?) Ken are R. Mika's worst MUs.

I thought I saw people saying Alex is pretty rough for Mika but I'm not experienced with either.

FluxWaveZ

I thought I saw people saying Alex is pretty rough for Mika but I'm not experienced with either.

In general, there are a whole bunch of MUs that are rough for Mika by design because of the whole "steep hill before being able to go all-out" playstyle she's known for. In my experience, I guess Alex would be part of that, sure. Long ass normals that prevent her from getting in, has his own command crabs, that V-Trigger. Kind of the same reasons I think Mika is probably one of Zangief's best MUs, if not the best.

I don't think there's really any one MU Mika truly excels in, except for maybe against Laura (I'd consider Vega, but that claw's range is incredible against her)? She just doesn't really do poorly in many MUs either because of her trademark craziness that balances it out.

SephLuis

And I need more practice against Mika MU. She gets to me easily.

Want to try playing this week if our connections allow it ?

Whales

Banned
hey guys, I need some help against the dhalsim matchup as ryu

I have this set I uploaded to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boGS63xhFQ

I honestly can't do shit vs dhalsim, he pisses me off so much, I can't get in at all. This dhalsim was nothing special ( he couldn't even insta air teleport) and yet he still beat me 2-1. I feel salty as heck because any dhalsim can fuck me up pretty bad. They all make me lose my shit and I start throwing out random tatsus

Any tips would be appreciated...

xabi

Quick random thoughts on Guile.

I really like this iteration of him. He's good, but not overpowering. It still requires a lot of good execution to combo into big damage with him, otherwise I think we would be too strong.

The flash kick does not seem nerfed that much to me. I have not gotten stuffed using it at all.

The new sonic boom game with the V Skill is really interesting, particularly when the opponent is waking up.

F HP is pretty useless. B HP is much better. F MK seems great in this game, particularly after a blocked combo that ends in sonic boom. Catches a lot of limbs....

I don't like that when you do a CA while on V Trigger, the V Trigger is gone.

I think someone mentioned this, but you can instant sonic boom while on V Trigger by pressing HP+HK again. Speed is controlled with the direction you are holding. B is slowest, F is fastest.

Also to the extent this helps anyone, I have found that the easiest way for me to combo the flask kick into super is to do the below. Seems more complicated, but I can connect it more reliably for some reason..

DB, UF, K -> circle motion U, UB, B, DB, D, DF, F, P

Love all the costumes, but would have loved a bomber jacket one

I honestly can't do shit vs dhalsim, he pisses me off so much, I can't get in at all. This dhalsim was nothing special ( he couldn't even insta air teleport) and yet he still beat me 2-1. I feel salty as heck because any dhalsim can fuck me up pretty bad. They all make me lose my shit and I start throwing out random tatsus

(i) You were jumping in on a stationary Dhalsim. Never jump in on a stationary Dhalsim. People keep talking about Guile and Chun but Dhalsim's AAs are top notch.

(ii)Don't throw fire balls full screen. At best, he avoids them. At worst, he teleports behinds you and punishes you.

(iii) Always do a meaty on Dhalsim's wakeup but also try to get throws in there. I believe throws can beat a wakeup teleport.

(iv) Seriously, don't jump in. A large chunk of the damage you took was because of jump in CCs, or AAs.

(v) When Dhalsim is in the air, block high. Just always. He can't exactly empty jump and then hit low.

(vi) If Dhalsim tries to do that instant air teleport behind you, just do a st.lp. It'll always beat it. You can try to practice it in the lab but yeah, it's a sure fire solution for every character.

(vii) Only try to get in the air with Dhalsim if he's already done a normal. Like if he messes up an air teleport and suddenly does a normal in the air.

mbpm1

Not a lot I can say bc I also suck at the matchup (and I'm not even playing Ryu most of the time)

but what I can say:

-You're not going for real meaty pressure, and when you do, it's jabs. You didn't throw him. You should do what you did at 2:11. Make your knockdown opportunities count bc it's there that you will win the matchup.

-Tatsus. I understand the impulse to throw them to beat a limb every now and then. But they're definitely not a thing you throw mindlessly. I think you know that, but I think even better than refraining from that might be to throw none at all and instead throw a button out to counter his as you would otherwise do through a tatsu. If he's going for medium punch, why not use your own medium punch at the right timing to hit his? More safe, less susceptible to leaving you knocked down in an unfavorable position. You can also try a light DP every now and then if you're desperate.

-In addition, I know you want to close ground, so you should try dashing in addition to jumps and tatsu, as well as sometimes, just walking. This needs to be done in conjunction to hitting his buttons with yours however, or he won't respect it.

-Also avoid jumping a Dhalsim that's sitting there waiting fro you to make a move. That rarely works out. Avoid fireballing too much, he can slide, drill, teleport, hit you with st. fierce...just be very careful with when you use them.

Whales

Banned
(i) You were jumping in on a stationary Dhalsim. Never jump in on a stationary Dhalsim. People keep talking about Guile and Chun but Dhalsim's AAs are top notch.

(ii)Don't throw fire balls full screen. At best, he avoids them. At worst, he teleports behinds you and punishes you.

(iii) Always do a meaty on Dhalsim's wakeup but also try to get throws in there. I believe throws can beat a wakeup teleport.

(iv) Seriously, don't jump in. A large chunk of the damage you took was because of jump in CCs, or AAs.

(v) When Dhalsim is in the air, block high. Just always. He can't exactly empty jump and then hit low.

(vi) If Dhalsim tries to do that instant air teleport behind you, just do a st.lp. It'll always beat it. You can try to practice it in the lab but yeah, it's a sure fire solution for every character.

(vii) Only try to get in the air with Dhalsim if he's already done a normal. Like if he messes up an air teleport and suddenly does a normal in the air.

Not a lot I can say bc I also suck at the matchup (and I'm not even playing Ryu most of the time)

but what I can say:

-You're not going for real meaty pressure, and when you do, it's jabs. You didn't throw him. You should do what you did at 2:11. Make your knockdown opportunities count bc it's there that you will win the matchup.

-Tatsus. I understand the impulse to throw them to beat a limb every now and then. But they're definitely not a thing you throw mindlessly. I think you know that, but I think even better than refraining from that might be to throw none at all and instead throw a button out to counter his as you would otherwise do through a tatsu. If he's going for medium punch, why not use your own medium punch at the right timing to hit his? More safe, less susceptible to leaving you knocked down in an unfavorable position. You can also try a light DP every now and then if you're desperate.

-In addition, I know you want to close ground, so you should try dashing in addition to jumps and tatsu, as well as sometimes, just walking. This needs to be done in conjunction to hitting his buttons with yours however, or he won't respect it.

-Also avoid jumping a Dhalsim that's sitting there waiting fro you to make a move. That rarely works out. Avoid fireballing too much, he can slide, drill, teleport, hit you with st. fierce...just be very careful with when you use them.

Thanks for the tips guys, it just feels impossible to get in on a dhalsim.

I havent rewatched the videos but I know that during gameplay I tried to meaty his ass ( with f.hp at the very least) and some mp's but he would just teleport out of them every time... is his teleport invincible or was I just timing it badly? VFrames says frame 1-3 are "strike and projectile invincible"? Its ridiculous, feels like he can just get away like that.

Thats why I started doing jabs on his wakeup, I was getting pissed at his teleports and wanted to see if they were invincible or something...

I know I shouldnt jump but this character just frustrates the fuck out of me, it feels so hard to get in. You have his freaking air fireballs + his annoying limbs to keep you away from the air and on the ground...

Thanks for the tips guys

I really like birdie. I like his vskill, I like his normals, I like his chain, his vtrigger, and his command grab. I fucking love his crouching mp.

But I am just starting to wonder if he's too weak to stick with for long term. I don't see hardly anyone using him in high level play. He gets blown up on wakeup, and if you have good reactions I feel like you wont get hit by his chain or dolphin dive ever.

I wonder if I should just play birdie for fun and try to learn another character to win more in ranked. I'm not doing horribly with him but his gameplan seems somewhat shallow, a lot like Honda in sf4.

Thanks for the tips guys, it just feels impossible to get in on a dhalsim.

I havent rewatched the videos but I know that during gameplay I tried to meaty his ass ( with f.hp at the very least) and some mp's but he would just teleport out of them every time... is his teleport invincible or was I just timing it badly? VFrames says frame 1-3 are "strike and projectile invincible"? Its ridiculous, feels like he can just get away like that.

Thats why I started doing jabs on his wakeup, I was getting pissed at his teleports and wanted to see if they were invincible or something...

I know I shouldnt jump but this character just frustrates the fuck out of me, it feels so hard to get in. You have his freaking air fireballs + his annoying limbs to keep you away from the air and on the ground...

Thanks for the tips guys
Strike and Projectile invincible means that while normals, specials and fireballs won't affect him, throws and command grabs still will if they're timed right. So doing a teleport on wakeup isn't a guaranteed safety option.

Whales

Banned
Strike and Projectile invincible means that while normals, specials and fireballs won't affect him, throws and command grabs still will if they're timed right. So doing a teleport on wakeup isn't a guaranteed safety option.

So basically if I dont try to grab he can just easily get away with a teleport? Isnt that stupid?

How can I meaty him if he can just use that teleport of his?

Xevren

So basically if I dont try to grab he can just easily get away with a teleport? Isnt that stupid?

How can I meaty him if he can just use that teleport of his?

Raw teleports have a ton of recovery, you should be able to do something like meaty jab and if he tele's you could dash and punish. I can do that with Karin and I know Ryu's dash is pretty good as well.

Tested for my own curiosity, you can do st mp as a meaty and still have time to do dash into solar plexus into your normal bnb's. Very easy stiuff.

SephLuis

While I can give you any tips as Ryu, I can give tips against Dhalsim since he still is one of my worst MUs.

After getting my ass kicked a lot, I started to get away from him after getting the life lead. 90% of Dhalsim players will make a mistake without the life lead. Chun at least has great normals that act as good counters against teleporting and his long range normals.

As for how to obtain that life lead, I would carefully try to approach him and try to punish his normals even if it's with a jab. I think Ryu might have a easier time by using hadouken or weak shoryuken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom