• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

you-guys-still-here.gif

Has this thread been forgotten?
giphy.gif

I don't know who this is, but let's pretend it's Mika's alt...

As suspected, the Sim vs Guile matchup is abysmal. Guile can turtle all day, throw out stationary booms, and not have to worry about anything. If Guile decides to get in, he can pretty much control the close range even with his stubby normals.

How is the Alex vs. Guile matchup?

First time posting in this thread so forgive my ignorance if this has been asked before, but what's up with the seemingly negative backlash for Alex? I thought he was a highly requested character and people have wanted him to reappear for a while now? Was Capcom's mishandling of his release or his play-style to blame?

Skilletor

First time posting in this thread so forgive my ignorance if this has been asked before, but what's up with the seemingly negative backlash for Alex? I thought he was a highly requested character and people have wanted him to reappear for a while now? Was Capcom's mishandling of his release or his play-style to blame?

His character model looks like garbage.

Real answer: I think people are just talking about how he plays and how to make him better. Still working out how he fits in the roster.

Personally, I'd attribute it largely to a lot of people forgetting that Alex wasn't that great and having nostalgia speaking on their behalf.

Alex is a pretty good character and most players are still acclimatizing to him. He's generally considered to be a tad bit weak, but that's mainly due to the fact that he suffers from the same problems as Zangief or even R.Mika. He can get zoned out pretty easily.

But once he gets in though, he is deadly.

KingBroly

Banned
Personally, I'd attribute it largely to a lot of people forgetting that Alex wasn't that great and having nostalgia speaking on their behalf.

Alex is a pretty good character and most players are still acclimatizing to him. He's generally considered to be a tad bit weak, but that's mainly due to the fact that he suffers from the same problems as Zangief or even R.Mika. He can get zoned out pretty easily.

But once he gets in though, he is deadly.
People hate his design

Big Brett

I'm trying not to play SFV too much before I get my stick so I don't learn any bad habits on the pad in the meantime, so I've been messing around with Third Strike and Ultra 4. 4 feels so bad.

Alucrid

Banned
where do people stand on this theme now? when it was first heard everyone was shouting "they ruined it". now it seems that people like it?

where do people stand on this theme now? when it was first heard everyone was shouting "they ruined it". now it seems that people like it?
People are fucking fickle. People hate everything when they first see it/hear it.

Unless it's a japanese game at E3.

Man, staying in low gold is really tilting. I get matched constantly with high bronze/low silver players such that even going on 10 win streaks doesn't help me. Meanwhile a single loss puts me right back in ultra silver :/

Meanwhile matchmaking is taking longer and longer it seems. I wish I wasn't so addicted to this game sometimes.

LakeEarth

Man, staying in low gold is really tilting. I get matched constantly with high bronze/low silver players such that even going on 10 win streaks doesn't help me. Meanwhile a single loss puts me right back in ultra silver :/

Meanwhile matchmaking is taking longer and longer it seems. I wish I wasn't so addicted to this game sometimes.

Yeah, Gold is a tough place to be. An super gold player who is almost 2000LP higher than you will still take away 55 points per loss, and you have to be on your game against ultra-bronze and silver players because even winning the set means you've lost points. I ran into an ultra-bronze FANG player who had my number and I ended up losing > 250 points (I make myself feel better by saying he was smurfing).

I haven't broken out of the ultra-silver / gold 'rank up' 'rank down' loop just yet.

Shito

I just don't play ranked anymore, I beat my gold and ultra-silver coworkers and pretend that means I'm a gold player... :D

I haven't broken out of the ultra-silver / gold 'rank up' 'rank down' loop just yet.
The thing a lot of people need to realize (I don't mean you) is that this is a stage in and of itself. You can be ultra silver or you can be gold or you can be in this middle ground where you shuffle between the two. Rank is very fluid.

While I'm on a soapbox, I find the complaining about fighting mostly people who are significantly better annoying. So what if your LP drops? It's just points. If it means that much, play casual. Otherwise, enjoy the experience and the knowledge that playing against better players will make you better in the long run even if it's a shot to your ego in the short term

I miss Guile's old cMK. Balrog end of May pls, but leave his cHP and cHK alone.

A lot of other games are keeping me from playing SFV. I'm going to be in poor shape for Canada Cup this October with Dark Souls 3, Doom, Overwatch, and Killer Instinct around.

Skilletor

A lot of other games are keeping me from playing SFV. I'm going to be in poor shape for Canada Cup this October with Dark Souls 3, Doom, Overwatch, and Killer Instinct around.

It's functionally the same as it's ever been, and I'd say the hitbox even matches up with the animation more than something like Ryu's c.mk does.

There's no way Balrog's normals don't get "nerfed" in SF5 the same way everybody else's do.

Balrog's cHK is probably the same but much easier to punish. I really hope that Balrog has a good anti-air. Keeping c.HP would be great.

Wishful thinking, but SF4's sHK with CC properties would be nice :)

While I'm on a soapbox, I find the complaining about fighting mostly people who are significantly better annoying. So what if your LP drops? It's just points. If it means that much, play casual. Otherwise, enjoy the experience and the knowledge that playing against better players will make you better in the long run even if it's a shot to your ego in the short term

I agree with you here. I'm thrilled to fight people of higher rank than me because

a) They are risking more points than me
b) You really only get better fighting better players than yourself.

LakeEarth

The thing a lot of people need to realize (I don't mean you) is that this is a stage in and of itself. You can be ultra silver or you can be gold or you can be in this middle ground where you shuffle between the two. Rank is very fluid.

I understand entirely. I don't care about points exactly, but I do care that I can't seem to progress out of the loop. Despite ranking up to gold, I don't feel like I can truly be a gold player until I consistently win against other gold players (who aren't in the loop, i.e. > 4500LP'ers).

I just need to play more. Lots of life-related distractions the past two weeks. I still haven't tried Guile out aside from ~5 minutes in training.

myco666

Somebody just beat me with 8 different characters in a row in Battle Lounge. Not feeling so confident about my skills anymore lol.

Also I think I am seriously missing something vital against Zangief. Dude is supposedly easiest matchup for Ryu but no matter how many times I get hits in he just keeps getting up and once he gets anything in my health just melts. I think I have winrate of zero against him. Any tips what I should be doing against him?

edit.
cfn: -myco-

Pejo

Man I ran into a super high level player disguised as a 700 LP low rank Cammy. That kind of shit really makes me mad. It's hard enough finding people in the 700-1000 range as I'm constantly matching up with silvers and higher (and getting stomped), but when that stuff happens and you get nearly perfected, it's just a dick move.

That said, even though I went down a total of 200 LP yesterday, I got a ton of time in with my new Hori fight pad, and I'm definitely getting better.

Now that I have semi-consistent throwing skills thanks to more face buttons, I'm definitely noticing the lag more. There are times I'm hitting the throw escape because I know it's coming, and just getting thrown around anyways. I'm not sure if it's just a small sample size, but I really notice it happening a lot with Karin more than any other character. I'm not sure if throwing is just a big part of her game or what.

My biggest problem as an amateur is remembering the stuff I'm practicing in training mode and applying it in a real life match. I always get panicked when I'm below 50% health and go right back into the bad habits of wakeup DP's and too many random Disc's Guidance (Necalli main) that are easily punishable.

I was watching some high level Necallis, and they are just so on-point with their rushdown. I think most of my issue when I try to do it is my lack of spacing skills. I always end up just a little too far for moves to connect, and you all know how bad whiffing is.

LakeEarth

My entire vs. Zangief game is to hang back, have your whiff punishes ready, and if you get the hard knockdown, put on the pressure because he doesn't have any good reversals in this game (excluding super). When he activates v-trigger, I just run away because any offense usually leads to me getting sucked in.

Definitely have a whiff punish planned out. Once he starts his fierce charge punch, he can't cancel it, so if you know it isn't in range, should be able to smack his hand. I'm not sure about Ryu, but with Birdie I'd s.mp into EX bullhorn.

Real talk if they ever come out with a way to make it so you can use your CFID cross platform like in FFXIV and such other cross platform games I'd buy the pc version in a heartbeat. I don't know why they didn't implement this in the first place.

Real talk if they ever come out with a way to make it so you can use your CFID cross platform like in FFXIV and such other cross platform games I'd buy the pc version in a heartbeat. I don't know why they didn't implement this in the first place.

Pretty much. What's the point of having an intermediary CFN account if they are just tied to one platform or the other.

Mupod

man do you guys remember that game called street fighter 5? It's too bad nobody talks about it anymore.

I wasn't gonna drop 70k on guile's stage but after listening to that theme I think I might have to. I need to training mode on that. It's not fair that they put in two guile themes.

Also at EGLX a really good Vega was telling me that his character was too boring and he was gonna pick up Guile. I was like, damn that might be the first time anyone ever said that. But Guile is really fun to watch now, even Guile mirrors are interesting. Can't wait to see what Dieminion does with the character, I saw him play for a bit on Friday but he clearly hadn't had a lot of time with him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom