• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

Defensive Nashes are the most frustrating thing to play

We have no invincible DPs and our V-Trigger can be stuffed by a meaty, don't hate on us for having to be defensive :( If we have no Super, you are free to meaty or neutral jump on us for pressure.

Mr. X

We have no invincible DPs and our V-Trigger can be stuffed by a meaty, don't hate on us for having to be defensive :( If we have no Super, you are free to meaty or neutral jump on us for pressure.
There's also the recent reaction backdash throw stuff to beat nash v reversal.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yessss got that cr.mp, Flash Kick into Super to end a match. Feels good, man. Figured I'd spaz out but I nailed it. Dat muscle memory.

Edgeward

Great games man. Definitely learned some about the match up. I really do jump way too much.

Let's do it again when the connection is better. It got funky at the end there.

I need to learn the match-up so that was a good experience. Great games.

The slow directional command booms and his dash make it such an attrition when he is full screen. Plus how they can throw out scythe kicks in neutral because the risk/reward favors Nash just make it so powerful when they go nuts.

Drahcir

Actual Pro on Capcom Pro Talk and look what happens

Pardon my noobness since I'm just learning my way through SFV, but on CPT I always hear Mike, Floe, or the guest talk about players they're facing on the show (for Turbos) as just "pressing buttons." Then Julio today elaborated that it's tough to face players just doing sweeps because he plays with the mindset that works against more technical players. So is it that technical players only really press buttons when it means something versus players just pressing buttons and hoping they do damage with no real plan of attack?

I'm just curious because I feel like I find myself playing very conservatively, letting my opponent make the first move and then I react with whatever button that confirms or whatever. I don't rush them down at all, but when they rush me I'm essentially just hammering away at buttons because I get disorientated and forget what buttons do what. :(

Edgeward

Pardon my noobness since I'm just learning my way through SFV, but on CPT I always hear Mike, Floe, or the guest talk about players they're facing on the show (for Turbos) as just "pressing buttons." Then Julio today elaborated that it's tough to face players just doing sweeps because he plays with the mindset that works against more technical players. So is it that technical players only really press buttons when it means something versus players just pressing buttons and hoping they do damage with no real plan of attack?

I'm just curious because I feel like I find myself playing very conservatively, letting my opponent make the first move and then I react with whatever button that confirms or whatever. I don't rush them down at all, but when they rush me I'm essentially just hammering away at buttons because I get disorientated and forget what buttons do what. :(

Yes, pros and really good online warriors have a set plan when playing. They have a list of attacks they want to execute in order to bait out something like counterhits or DPs. They will attack in ways to condition you on one thing so that you are unprepared for the real attack they want.

When people are on the defensive they don't just press buttons and hope it works. They recognize certain strings that are safe/unsafe or a set-up for a grab. They know that once an opponent pushes themselves out of range they like to press a certain button or just block so they can either throw out a sweep for the former or dash up throw for the latter. There is a lot of mindgames that go on in fights that are like a boxing match. Feints, baits, spacing all of this is being considered.

Don't apologize for asking a question. We are here to help and get better.

Durden77

I've barley gotten to play Guile other than really drunk last Friday, but tonight I'm finally getting to know him again in the training room and oh my god.

His charge shortcuts are really lenient in this game. You can be on down back after doing the Sonic Boom motion for like half a second and press punch and it still comes out. Makes charging flash kicks quick as fuck.

His loops are so crazy fun and awesome. I think they're perfect for him too. If Guile manages to get you in the corner with full V-trigger bar, he should be able to style on you.

Back fierce is better than ever. So is crouching fierce.

Love him so much.

Drahcir

Yes, pros and really good online warriors have a set plan when playing. They have a list of attacks they want to execute in order to bait out something like counterhits or DPs. They will attack in ways to condition you on one thing so that you are unprepared for the real attack they want.

When people are on the defensive they don't just press buttons and hope it works. They recognize certain strings that are safe/unsafe or a set-up for a grab. They know that once an opponent pushes themselves out of range they like to press a certain button or just block so they can either throw out a sweep for the former or dash up throw for the latter. There is a lot of mindgames that go on in fights that are like a boxing match. Feints, baits, spacing all of this is being considered.

Don't apologize for asking a question. We are here to help and get better.

Thanks for the explanation! See, that is a lot of pro stuff that I lack the skill to pull off right now. I can barely get shimmying to work most of the time. I think what you just explained is exactly what I am so bad at. I need to learn how to read my opponents better.

Edgeward

Thanks for the explanation! See, that is a lot of pro stuff that I lack the skill to pull off right now. I can barely get shimmying to work most of the time. I think what you just explained is exactly what I am so bad at. I need to learn how to read my opponents better.

A lot of it is a combination of what the character can do and excels at and what the player likes to do. The former is a lot less important at lower levels because they don't understand what they shouldn't do so you are more likely to be hit with a random sweep in the middle of your pressure or a random dp when they throw out a unsafe combo or move.

No one just does things based on purely reactions, that is a myth. Having an expectation what possible moves will come out and being prepared for those 2 or 3 things is important. That is how players have godlike reactions. Couple that with lots of muscle memory so that they can execute the moves without needing to put excess thought into what commands they need to input.

Xeteh

One of the hardest parts about getting started in fighting games is learning the terminology for everything. It takes time, if you have questions just ask. Like Edgeward said don't feel bad for asking questions, everyone started from ground zero.

Finally got to try Guile out properly last night.
After being super excited for him and expecting him to be my main he just wasn't quite clicking with me. Playing him like I played him in IV and was getting mauled.

I put so much work in with Chun while waiting for him that it feels a shame to give up on her now... feels like it would take so much work to get to that level with Guile, I don't know if I can be bothered at this point.

I wish we weren't stuck with using one character at a time online.
Be so much more fun if you could choose another character in a runback.
At the very least you should be able to set a different character to casual and ranked... set your main to ranked and a secondary character you're learning to casual.

Who do you guys think is the best character inside the V-Trigger?
I would say...
1.Necalli
2.Chin Li
3.bison

And who has the best V-Skill?(in your opinion)

FluxWaveZ

Vtrigger Ken has to be top 3.

Nah, Necalli, Bison and Chun-Li are easily better. Bison in particular is scary as fuck.

Outside of Necalli, I'm learning that I have to run the hell away when characters use transformation V-Triggers. It's the one time Mika needs to kind of keep-away outside of going against Zangief.

Shito

Damn, for all the (slow) progress I can make, it seems like every other few days I fall back again into this phase where my old-time reflexes of trying to tech throws everywhere make me eat all the normals, combos and shimmies of the world. ^^
I should REALLY learn to eat those throws instead of the 40~60% combos I get instead, especially when my opponent has his full super bar... -___-

mbpm1

Damn, for all the (slow) progress I can make, it seems like every other few days I fall back again into this phase where my old-time reflexes of trying to tech throws everywhere make me eat all the normals, combos and shimmies of the world. ^^
I should REALLY learn to eat those throws instead of the 40~60% combos I get instead, especially when my opponent has his full super bar... -___-

Take the throwsion

RK9039

Finally made it to gold after a ton of rage quitters and lots of mistakes on my part, time to take a break.

Nash has to have one of the best V-Reversals and V-Triggers in my opinion.

Yeah I agree, it's so useful. Sometimes I just use it to get away, heck, sometimes I just use his super to get away as well.

Neoxon

Any good frame traps for Karin that I should be doing? I have s.LP - c.HP - Light Command Dash - Shoulder down, but I feel like I can be doing more.

Finally made it to gold after a ton of rage quitters and lots of mistakes on my part, time to take a break.

Yeah I agree, it's so useful. Sometimes I just use it to get away, heck, sometimes I just use his super to get away as well.
It's best to use right away so you guarantee 2 per round

Moaradin

Any good frame traps for Karin that I should be doing? I have s.LP - c.HP - Light Command Dash - Shoulder down, but I feel like I can be doing more.

V trigger Guren Chochu - c.MP - c.MK gets people like 90% of the time for me. It will beat anything that's not a 3 frame jab or invincible reversal. You can change it to Guren Chochu - c.LP - s.MP if they have a 3 frame jab.

qcf x2

Defensive Nashes are the most frustrating thing to play

His jump back lp being perfect against some characters, even super late and entirely on reaction is annoying. I was hoping lag was messing with my mind but I've had 3 Nash opponents who just did it against every jump in. The only thing it loses to from Cammy is EX strike, hooray. It's a brick wall against Laura too.

Edit: Just tested, it beats EX strike too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom