• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

He's not as easy to play as it might seem.
His normals with claw all seem to reach farther than they actually do, and most of his other normals have the hurtbox extending much farther than the hitbox.
His slide cannot be made safe from any distance, he has no reliable anti-airs and no invincible reversal means you can do whatever you want to him on wakeup (even his super will trade and just drain the entire bar). And his FBA is worthless outside of EX.

What he really has going for him is his walk speed and strong air to air game, a good defensive vega can be hard to fight against.

To add to that, his damage potential is relatively small compared to the cast even worth claw off.
His crush counter hits only standing opponents so you will miss punishing flash kicks if timed wrong or things that end in a crouch state like rashid's dp.
Bnbs dont work at medium to far range. And he doesn't have a way to cause knock down that isnt a fierce attack to heavy roll or sweep (there is cr lp to ASE but you need to be in the guy's dick for it)
And his command grab switches sides and has some of the worst range for being one.
He does have the best v trigger + critical art. A fully stocked Vega is huge comeback potential and very easy to punish jumpers when he is

The hurtbox with his claw on really pisses me off tho.

Baleoce

He's not as easy to play as it might seem.
His normals with claw all seem to reach farther than they actually do, and most of his other normals have the hurtbox extending much farther than the hitbox.
His slide cannot be made safe from any distance, he has no reliable anti-airs and no invincible reversal means you can do whatever you want to him on wakeup (even his super will trade and just drain the entire bar). And his FBA is worthless outside of EX.

What he really has going for him is his walk speed and strong air to air game, a good defensive vega can be hard to fight against.

That's some pretty useful info.

Just got my TE2+ in the mail. Holy learning curve I'm not used to this haha. The stick itself is the weirdest part for me.
You're essentially relearning the game here. All that muscle memory that you had is gone and you're gonna have to adjust.

It's gonna take time to learn but it'll be worth it.

Big Brett

You're essentially relearning the game here. All that muscle memory that you had is gone and you're gonna have to adjust.

I can already tell it'll be worth it I love the feel of the buttons so much holy shit. This ball joystick is incredibly small in my hand though. Wondering about those bat sticks but I am just going to stick with stock for now and adjust in time.

I feel like I'm at that point where I really need to play with people offline to get better, but I don't really have people to play with since most of my coworkers and friends aren't interested in fighting games enough to actually learn them. I'm in the CA Bay Area, so while I could just take the train down to SF to the Foundry twice a week and play casuals there, I'm busy Tuesday/Thursday evenings and I don't really know of any other scenes nearby. How do you guys find places/people to play?

Facebook. See if your area has a Facebook group for meet ups.

I'm part of the jersey FGC group and plan to finally go to some casuals/weeklies when I finish finals.

hwateber

Keep at it! I find myself still improving my joystick execution after years of owning a stick. Honestly I think my execution would be best if I had 6 sanwa buttons and a dpad haha

hwateber

I had the most satisfying ranking match last night! It was a Ryu mirror against a barely platinum player and I was just on the threshold of becoming Super Silver. Took the match and ranked him down! He didn't want a runback though :(

I can see why though since I won with a dash up shoryu on his wake up. In my defense, I was in vtrigger and I was going to cancel into super on block anyway. Victory was a confidence booster though after dropping down to bronze when I switched from Ken to Ryu

Talking about the ranking website.

Just went against FlashMetroid again. Won the first match, and lost the other two but they were close, so I guess I'll take that as a sign of improvement.

Nice. You still have those matches? I'd like to watch them. Really interested in seeing how he approaches the matchup. He is still playing claw I assume?

Rog's totally going to lose his Smash since focus attacks are not a thing and no longer need to be broken.

Still could be useful for corner carry in this game.

FluxWaveZ

Nice. You still have those matches? I'd like to watch them. Really interested in seeing how he approaches the matchup. He is still playing claw I assume?

They should be one of the most recent matches if you search for my CFN, which is FluxWaveZ. It was still Vega, yeah.

my favorite people are the people that you can tell are just passive aggressively making you wait the 10 seconds on the rematch screen without simply choosing to quit

Morris

Disco Devil
Decided to play ranked again to at least get myself to platinum. 9k lp scrub ass "rushdown" nash ragequitting. Of course lol

Edit: Two different ragequitters after that. gg you pack of frauds

LakeEarth

How is one supposed to deal with Vega's Wall dives. Ex and normal.

Well any character and just avoid them by dashing forward or dashing back. If he just randomly did it, you can jump up for the air to air and you can hit him before he can hit you. There's usually an air normal that hits "up" which should work well. And of course, there's always Birdie's d.mp.

What's your character?

Big Brett

my favorite people are the people that you can tell are just passive aggressively making you wait the 10 seconds on the rematch screen without simply choosing to quit

My way of thinking is I forced them to bury their head into their hands in shame and they can't even look at the screen.

Well any character and just avoid them by dashing forward or dashing back. If he just randomly did it, you can jump up for the air to air and you can hit him before he can hit you. There's usually an air normal that hits "up" which should work well. And of course, there's always Birdie's d.mp.

What's your character?

Bison

Palom

If it's any consolation, I had to do that yesterday when I was playing. I was doing the peepee dance during the fight, and had to go to the bathroom as soon as it was over. Couldn't sit through the win animation and points tally screen.

Skilletor

Played some sets with a friend of mine. Looking for feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RduXjEm6JI&feature=youtu.be&a

I lose for free to Karin, Rashid, and Gief. Friend told me a few things about the Karin matchup after this set (so that he could get those Ws, which made me laugh out loud). I'm looking for general stuff about my play, though. I'm having trouble breaking Gold, and I don't think it's because I'm not a "gold level player," but just because there are some hurdles in my gameplay that I'm not seeing. I was at 3904 points last night and then lost two games to a silver Ryu (2-1, lost 200 points! :() that I should have beat, and I just got frustrated and stopped playing.

#sigh

Also, if you play any of those characters, I want to get some sets in with you. My win rate against Rashid is just ridiculously low. A bit better on Karin and Gief, but I recognize my weakness fighting those characters.

My semester is almost over and I'm going to start grinding matches out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom