• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to play again sometime, it's been a while.

Not really. I don't go to locals and I exclusively play online. Maybe if I start going to the weeklies here or something, but I always feel like I'm lacking something so I don't think I'd be able to hang with the best.

If I can, then you can.

I hate you btw.

Mediking

Played some sets with a friend of mine. Looking for feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RduXjEm6JI&feature=youtu.be&a

I lose for free to Karin, Rashid, and Gief. Friend told me a few things about the Karin matchup after this set (so that he could get those Ws, which made me laugh out loud). I'm looking for general stuff about my play, though. I'm having trouble breaking Gold, and I don't think it's because I'm not a "gold level player," but just because there are some hurdles in my gameplay that I'm not seeing. I was at 3904 points last night and then lost two games to a silver Ryu (2-1, lost 200 points! :() that I should have beat, and I just got frustrated and stopped playing.

#sigh

Also, if you play any of those characters, I want to get some sets in with you. My win rate against Rashid is just ridiculously low. A bit better on Karin and Gief, but I recognize my weakness fighting those characters.

My semester is almost over and I'm going to start grinding matches out.

As a Cammy main whose also learning Karin..... lemme say that you play really good. It hurts when you drop your guard for one second and the opponent just utterly destroys Cammy's health, eh?

You're a really good offensive Cammy. I'm a guy who usually waits then attacks with Cammy.

Skilletor

As a Cammy main whose also learning Karin..... lemme say that you play really good. It hurts when you drop your guard for one second and the opponent just utterly destroys Cammy's health, eh?

You're a really good offensive Cammy. I'm a guy who usually waits then attacks with Cammy.

Yeah, I gave away quite a few of those matches with a blocked canon spike on a fully stocked Karin. Sometimes I feel the risk reward of that move isn't worth it, lol. Its real use is a deterrent, but man...

Thanks, though! Several of my friends that I play with and can go toe-to-toe with are Ultra Gold and Platinum level, so it's frustrating to me that I'm stuck in the silver range. lol.

Oh, and since I love SF5-Gaf, does anybody want a code for Shantae Pirate's Curse Wii U or Affordable Space Adventures Wii U? Bought the Nintendo bundle, but only wanted Shantae 3DS and Retro City Rampage.

First to quote can get one of them. :)

Big Brett

Anyone have input for Square vs Octo gates on your arcade sticks? I'm only on day one but I'm just curious to hear from others here.

Mediking

Yeah, I gave away quite a few of those matches with a blocked canon spike on a fully stocked Karin. Sometimes I feel the risk reward of that move isn't worth it, lol. Its real use is a deterrent, but man...

Thanks, though! Several of my friends that I play with and can go toe-to-toe with are Ultra Gold and Platinum level, so it's frustrating to me that I'm stuck in the silver range. lol.

Oh, and since I love SF5-Gaf, does anybody want a code for Shantae Pirate's Curse Wii U or Affordable Space Adventures Wii U? Bought the Nintendo bundle, but only wanted Shantae 3DS and Retro City Rampage.

First to quote can get one of them. :)

Shantae's Pirate's Curse Wii U, please!!! You're in North America, right?????

And yeah. You really are good with Cammy. The risk and reward thing with her is crazy frustrating... which is why I'm learning and loving Karin.

Skilletor

Shantae's Pirate's Curse Wii U, please!!! You're in North America, right?????

And yeah. You really are good with Cammy. The risk and reward thing with her is crazy frustrating... which is why I'm learning and loving Karin.

Yep. Pm'ing you now.

Affordable Space Adventure is still available.

Eh, I dunno. Plus, the level of commitment it takes to get good at these games...

And why's that?

You're essentially already at that level tho, is what I'm saying.

I played you a few times recently, just about 2 or 3 days ago matter of fact. Black_Excellence. Was in a room with you and Omni. That's why, lol.

Skilletor

I also have KoF2k2UM on Steam if anybody wants that.

At least, I think so. It doesn't show redeemed on the humblebundle website. Sorry in advance if it has been used...I don't remember giving it to anybody.

FluxWaveZ

You're essentially already at that level tho, is what I'm saying.

I played you a few times recently, just about 2 or 3 days ago matter of fact. Black_Excellence. Was in a room with you and Omni. That's why, lol.

Nah, definitely not. The real pros and tournament goers have a little something that I haven't acquired yet, but I'm working hard to get to that point.

Big Brett

Nah, definitely not. The real pros and tournament goers have a little something that I haven't acquired yet, but I'm working hard to get to that point.

I think going to your local scene and getting close with the people who have what you're missing would be totally willing to help. There's a few sour grapes in the FGC but for the most part in my experience with my local scene, almost everyone's willing to help.

Anyone have input for Square vs Octo gates on your arcade sticks? I'm only on day one but I'm just curious to hear from others here.

Depends on what you're used to, I supposed... or how the "throw" of the stick feels to you when doing your motions. Growing up, I was always a fan of octogate (and bat tops) because it was largely what I'd experienced in arcades during those years. However, after getting a TE stick back after the SF4 launch, I forced myself to continue with squaregate because I knew the throw was shorter and also found myself preferring ball to bat for stick topper.

It's mostly preference, but I think that learning to use a square gate can make your motion inputs faster because of the shorter throw. Octo has the benefit of allowing you to feel the diagonals.

Zerojul

Decided to play ranked tonight for the first time in months. Didn't experience a single RQ and got promoted to silver by beating a gold rank Laura. I'm so happy ^^

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs Flux. Those were some close enough sets I guess. Dealing with mika gets more frustrating the longer it goes on, ain't nobody can ever deny that this character doesn't reward you for playing like a retarded caveman. So hard to stay calm against her, all she needs is one touch to end it after all.

Still, it's good to get hit by setups so you can sort of know what to expect. Let's play some other time

FluxWaveZ

I think going to your local scene and getting close with the people who have what you're missing would be totally willing to help. There's a few sour grapes in the FGC but for the most part in my experience with my local scene, almost everyone's willing to help.

Yeah, I think going to locals would help me improve a lot, too.

GGs Flux. Those were some close enough sets I guess. Dealing with mika gets more frustrating the longer it goes on, ain't nobody can ever deny that this character doesn't reward you for playing like a retarded caveman. So hard to stay calm against her, all she needs it's one touch to end it after all.

Still, it's good to get hit by setups so you can sort of know what to expect. Let's play some other time

GGs, man. We had a lot of close matches. Any advice for me? I am dumbfounded at how much players like you or Chaotix can tech throws relentlessly. It practically never works out for me, so I'm forced to learn how to shimmy, which I'm getting better at.

If anything, I'd say you probably weren't throwing out projectiles enough and playing lame enough against Mika. That shit is infuriating as MIka, and Nash is very efficient at it.

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs, man. We had a lot of close matches. Any advice for me? I am dumbfounded at how much players like you or Chaotix can tech throws relentlessly. It practically never works out for me, so I'm forced to learn how to shimmy, which I'm getting better at.

If anything, I'd say you probably weren't throwing out projectiles enough and playing lame enough against Mika. That shit is infuriating as MIka, and Nash is very efficient at it.

Small advice: I noticed that you can rely a lot on waking up with your 3f jab, while that's def a good tool, it can get you blown up by people who know their proper meaty setups (this set is going to force me to lab em up). Another thing is that you have tick throw habits, after a while they can get easy to predict but you were mixing em up nicely at the end.

But yeah tbh I got more frustrated at myself for not being able to zone well and react enough to punish the unsafe stuff you do when you go ham. I'm particularly weak to corner neutral jumps, can never punish them shits smh

FluxWaveZ

Small advice: I noticed that you can rely a lot on waking up with your 3f jab, while that's def a good tool, it can get you blown up by people who know their proper meaty setups (this set is going to force me to lab em up). Another thing is that you have tick throw habits, after a while they can get easy to predict but you were mixing em up nicely at the end.

But yeah tbh I got more frustrated at myself for not being able to zone well and react enough to punish the unsafe stuff you do when you go ham.

That's right, the wake-up 3f jab has messed me up many times, even in our set. In general, I have a big problem with pressing buttons on wake-up (e.g. always pressing throw when the opponent's close), but I'm trying to hold back.

I guess those predictable tick throws are part of why they were so easy to tech all the time. Gotta mix in more command grabs (though I hate how risky they are) and try to shimmy more when feinting a tick throw.

Mediking

I got some DBZ gifs that symbolize how I feel when I fight as certain characters.

Cammy:
tumblr_nuz454mTN81uupmoio1_400.gif

Karin:
goku-fighting-o.gif

Ryu:
tumblr_o4rmalfTge1rboeh5o1_500.gif

Deps

Played some sets with a friend of mine. Looking for feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RduXjEm6JI&feature=youtu.be&a

I lose for free to Karin, Rashid, and Gief. Friend told me a few things about the Karin matchup after this set (so that he could get those Ws, which made me laugh out loud). I'm looking for general stuff about my play, though. I'm having trouble breaking Gold, and I don't think it's because I'm not a "gold level player," but just because there are some hurdles in my gameplay that I'm not seeing. I was at 3904 points last night and then lost two games to a silver Ryu (2-1, lost 200 points! :() that I should have beat, and I just got frustrated and stopped playing.

#sigh

Also, if you play any of those characters, I want to get some sets in with you. My win rate against Rashid is just ridiculously low. A bit better on Karin and Gief, but I recognize my weakness fighting those characters.

My semester is almost over and I'm going to start grinding matches out.

vs Karin: Abuse s.hp to whiff punish her pokes. Karin generally has better pokes, but Cammy has better counterpokes, especially s.hp. TK ex divekick is also very hard for Karin to deal with. Match basically comes down to who has better footsies.

vs Gief: S.mk and c.mk buffered into arrow is 90% of the match. S.hk works really well as AA vs him, and in general don't ever let him jump. If the Gief loves c.lp, murder him with s.hp.

vs Rashid: On defense, learn how to late tech. After a light spinaroony, late tech will block ex dp, tech a throw, and block a meaty. If he has no ex, c.mp after any of his -2 moves will ch anything he tries. As long as you don't let him jump around, Rashid should be peasy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been away from my system for a while, so I haven't tested the April patch. What's the consensus regarding its quality?

Skilletor

vs Karin: Abuse s.hp to whiff punish her pokes. Karin generally has better pokes, but Cammy has better counterpokes, especially s.hp. TK ex divekick is also very hard for Karin to deal with. Match basically comes down to who has better footsies.

vs Gief: S.mk and c.mk buffered into arrow is 90% of the match. S.hk works really well as AA vs him, and in general don't ever let him jump. If the Gief loves c.lp, murder him with s.hp.

vs Rashid: On defense, learn how to late tech. After a light spinaroony, late tech will block ex dp, tech a throw, and block a meaty. If he has no ex, c.mp after any of his -2 moves will ch anything he tries. As long as you don't let him jump around, Rashid should be peasy.

Thanks for these tips. :)

Didn't know about the Rashid thing and that's like 95% of what's beating me.

qcf x2

Thanks for these tips. :)

Didn't know about the Rashid thing and that's like 95% of what's beating me.

Cammy is one of Gief's worst matchups, st HK is a win button, with cr FP being very valuable as well. You can counter all of his advancing moves on reaction with either, though st HK has less range but is more reliable because of startup. You want to do it as his attack has finished extending, right before the recoil.

Speaking of, that's important vs Karin but in a different space. Karin excels at controlling the space that constitutes jump-in range, anything from max jump in distance to grab range. You're not really going to hang with her there. Cammy, however, excels at controlling the space JUST OUTSIDE OF jump in range. This is where Karin players absolutely love to do any of her dashes (universal dash, command dash, her palm/back dash attacks). If you practice, you can stuff quite a few of those on reaction, with the others being stuffable on reads (apologies to Xeteh but I was getting quality data from this round!). Most of us Cammy players are just stuck on using cr MK to control space, but those tend to be wishy washy in this game. Her st HK is killer against advancing opponents by land, by air or by sea (ok, not by sea since it whiffs on anything low).

Also general feedback from your vids, you lost a few matches where you could've comboed into super but settled for a normal and then burned ex on a blocked strike or something.

Really the goal with Cammy in most matchups is opening them up with whiff punishes and maximizing with huge damage, then getting wakeup pressure. You don't want to be in a back and forth at close range because two combos and it's lights out.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Taking apart people's auto pilot gimmicks is seriously the best feel in this game. That moment when you see someone's brain cracking and the flailing that follows is just precious.

hwateber

Taking apart people's auto pilot gimmicks is seriously the best feel in this game. That moment when you see someone's brain cracking and the flailing that follows is just precious.
And the worst is when I recognize the auto pilot but I still eat the jump in :(

So according to Mika's English VA it is Nadeshiko who says "I'll kick your ass!"

I know we had a discussion about this a while ago but I couldn't remember if we ever came to a conclusion :p

Does anyone know what they both say during Mika's CA? It's kind of hard to understand.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I recently had a match like this that was super close but I ended up losing to an auto-pilot Ryu with my Alex. But yes, once you get them off their set pattern of attack you can notice them really out of sorts. It's interesting, actually.

hwateber

Baaaad run today lol. Down 600 LP and I lost most of those to super Bronze players that I know I could've beat. I don't know how these players drink red bull and put up top level performances haha. I had a cup of coffee and my hands are so jittery I'm dropping combos

So according to Mika's English VA it is Nadeshiko who says "I'll kick your ass!"

I know we had a discussion about this a while ago but I couldn't remember if we ever came to a conclusion :p

Does anyone know what they both say during Mika's CA? It's kind of hard to understand.

I still want the text for Ken's japanese voiceovers and their translations. BTW, remember your PMs, good sir. :p

FluxWaveZ

"You're going down! Nadeshiko, go for it!"
"Begone!"
"Deadly! Peach!"

Perhaps it's 'cause I've heard it so much, but it's one of the easier to understand ones for me. Laaura's is basically still gibberish to me, even though it was said it's supposed to be "Punishment time!"

And clearly, if Nadeshiko is the one saying she'll kick the opponent's ass, we need some kind of Nadeshiko alt or something. Bring that heel Nadeshiko concept to life. Still, Mika goes "I'll totally make this look cool!" and that's great.

sixghost

I'm getting real sick of logging on and losing for an hour straight because the game can't match me against someone in bronze or low silver.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I recently had a match like this that was super close but I ended up losing to an auto-pilot Ryu with my Alex. But yes, once you get them off their set pattern of attack you can notice them really out of sorts. It's interesting, actually.

That 2/3 option man. Some people just have that one game in them that they loop on different people.

sonicmj1

I had passed on Street Fighter V when it came out due to the lack of content and multiplayer online lobbies. But when I saw Marn's run at NCR, I knew I had to own this game. I bought it the next day, picked Mika, and never looked back.

I had always been a Honda main back in SF4, but Mika feels even more fun to use. Back in that game, I had liked the idea of playing a rushdown, mixup-vortex sort of character, so I tried picking up Makoto. But her execution was too demanding for my jittery hands, and it never really fit. With Mika, a mixup is just a F+MP away. I love it!

I've managed to grind my way into the border between Ultra Bronze and Silver rank recently (I feel like I learn something new from every Mika mirror I play against someone ranked above me), but I still have a lot to learn. There are plenty of small ways I can improve (tighter anti-airs, better V-Trigger use, smarter combos out of rope throw), but I feel like the biggest strategic hurdle I need to deal with is finding new ways to open people up. When I come up against players who don't throw out unsafe moves and defend against my jump-ins, I often find myself at a loss. Charged HK can do a lot for me, but it only takes me so far.

Any other Mikas out there? How do you try to start your offense?

I'd link some matches of mine, but I don't have anything recorded. My FighterID is sonicmj1, if anyone wants to check things out. I just got bodied by a Silver Ryu doing basic normal blockstrings, and it left me really frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom