• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I tried to buy the new swimsuits but it said they weren't on the store. I'm in Europe, is this part of the same problem with Juri purchases with real money?

When did Capcom say that would be resolved again?

Good post crap monkey.

Only thing I'd like to add or suggest is that Capcom make next seasons characters worse on purpose to not upset the balance too much. That is one thing that makes me mad because they're going to go back and change those characters the following year anyways no reason to release them in such a neutered state.

Everything about this post is correct. Time does crazy things to certain games.

In the ST example, Hawk (and O.Hawk) have been climbing the ST tier lists for the last 5 years because of how the game has evolved. I remember when things for O.Ken were discovered and it became an incredibly viable character to pick. ST is a lot more than Claw, O.Sagat, and Ryu now and it's a better game because players have been putting in time to learn the other characters.

UMvC3 used to be dominated by Wesker and Wolverine. How many of those characters did you see at Top 8 this year at Evo? Heck, you had a team with MODOK and Sentinel (who were once considered some of the worst in the game) making really high ranks.

SFV will evolve and things that were considered the best or the worst will change. There were no Ryus in Top 8 at Evo. FANG, while probably the least used character, looks way more interesting than at launch. Dictator, who was "really good" at launch is now considered trash by just about everybody. Gief is moving up and Necali is moving (slightly) down. I'm glad they aren't patching any time soon, as theres so much more to learn until then.

While I agree with this post and with the previous posts, and while I am happy with Capcom mostly being hands off with balance patches, it is worth keeping in mind that the game balance is not the same for higher-level play as it is for lower-level play. And most people probably do not play at a high level. So while higher-level players may find solutions to seemingly strong characters, those solutions could easily be outside the reach of a lot of the player-base. Or to put it another way, techniques that are harder to counter than they are to execute are going to feel all the more unbalanced for lower level players.

And while I am certain that Capcom's main focus is high-level play, they still need to balance for lower levels of play, as few people are willing to keep playing on the promise that, eventually, the game will not feel unfair or unbalanced. And they (and we) need people to keep playing, so that there is reason for Capcom to keep investing in the game, and to keep the community from stagnating, over the long term.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No, you don't.
There are some you have to buy after you unlock them.

Ucchedavāda;211713204 said:
While I agree with this post and with the previous posts, and while I am happy with Capcom mostly being hands off with balance patches, it is worth keeping in mind that the game balance is not the same for higher-level play as it is for lower-level play. And most people probably do not play at a high level. So while higher-level players may find solutions to seemingly strong characters, those solutions could easily be outside the reach of a lot of the player-base. Or to put it another way, techniques that are harder to counter than they are to execute are going to feel all the more unbalanced for lower level players.

And while I am certain that Capcom's main focus is high-level play, they still need to balance for lower levels of play, as few people are willing to keep playing on the promise that, eventually, the game will not feel unfair or unbalanced. And they (and we) need people to keep playing, so that there is reason for Capcom to keep investing in the game, and to keep the community from stagnating, over the long term.
This is usually adressed by the characters themselves. In 4 there was actually an interview in which some Capcom representative explained why they didn't buff charge characters which were generally considered weak. Their point was that they're easier to use and as such they're stronger on a lower skill level. If you agree with that statement or not it's actually kind of genius.
I would hope they're smart enough to take different levels of skill into consideration. They should have the data, too. But you never know when you're talking Capcom.

Neoxon

I think they just mean a repackaging like Street Fighter: Season 1 as you suggested. But calling it Super is asking for trouble, even if I'd prefer that since it's tradition :(
Exactly my point, yet people just go in shit-posting "Oh, SSFV is definitely happening". Going with the Super name is a recipe for disaster at this point.

Skilletor

I feel that trying to balance for lower levels of play is a crap shoot. No matter what there's always going to be "that character" that some people will think is just too good.

While I agree with the sentiment, I just don't see what can be done. Like...I'll see somebody say Maxi was stupid in SC2 and in the next breath say they love Xianghua.

Hyun Sai

You can't balance high and low level play at the same time. Dictator is the character with the better win rate, how can you "balance" that without crippling him even more in high level ?
15_evopanelpop02.jpg

My Alex is really weak against nash. I spend like 50% of my life just cornering him and I can't keep him there. Apparently, Alex, THERE IS ESCAPE!

Anyone got any hot tips? So far all I figured out is
"dont try to footsie with c.mp c.mk hes too mobile and ull just eat the jump in."

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Which ones cause all the character related and rank related titles don't have to be bought, only the general ones in the shop.
Some of them get added to the shop after doing certain things. I don't have any specific ones right now, but they do exist.
Just while doing all Juri trials, demonstrations etc, I got atleast one saying "tile ***** is now available for purchase in the shop".

Trickster

LOL at those who actually think Super Street Fighter V is gonna happen.

They should honestly. They botched the initla launch so hard. A "relaunch" with a proper story mode, more characters and features (arcade mode gonna be in the game any day now, beliebe) would do wonders for getting any new players into it. People who don't already have the game won't really care that once in a while there's a new character released, especially when the current perception of the game is so low among those who haven't bought it.

Critical Street Fighter V

Keeps the Super and Ultra naming conventions being tired to ultimate attacks, and accounts for critical reception of the original game.

Yo Nash is broken though, he's Akuma + broken dash > throw + good health. His weakness is the corner but he has an ambiguous teleport that he can confirm into massive damage, for 2 v bars. He's got stubby normals but he can control space so easily with booms, dashs and tele that it doesn't matter. His super is very easy to confirm into and he builds/steals meter super fast.

Neoxon

They should honestly. They botched the initla launch so hard. A "relaunch" with a proper story mode, more characters and features (arcade mode gonna be in the game any day now, beliebe) would do wonders for getting any new players into it. People who don't already have the game won't really care that once in a while there's a new character released, especially when the current perception of the game is so low among those who haven't bought it.
But as stated earlier, it would give the impression that Capcom went back on their word. And it's not like Capcom can whip up 8 or so characters in a matter of months, shit like that takes time. Plus it would mean that existing owners would be left in the cold until Super comes out, & that's not even mentioning the split in the player base that a Super version would cause (something that Capcom cited as one of the main reasons for doing away with Super version). A Season 1 collection can do pretty much everything that a Super version could without the player base split or screwing over existing consumers.

Sblargh

Banned
So, I'm still on my fence on wheter or not to buy this game.
Someone said to me it is really easy to get in-game currency to buy all the characters. True or false?

KingBroly

Banned
Thanks for the replies on the Titles

I REALLY love the new Mod Manager. It's SO awesome. I wish it had an update option like the other (more inferior one) had.

IF IF IF they did Super Street Fighter 5, it'd be smart to do that if you added more platforms. Otherwise, another re-branded marketing attempt is just foolish. I know some people have suggested it happening/want it to happen, but I don't really know if Capcom can handle doing that. So I don't think it'll happen.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't think Capcom has ever once said that they wouldn't repackage and rerelease an updated version of the game.

They've just said that you won't need to buy another version to play the most-recent update.

So, I'm still on my fence on wheter or not to buy this game.
Someone said to me it is really easy to get in-game currency to buy all the characters. True or false?

True, but you have to be disciplined enough to ignore all the cosmetic DLC.

The difference here is that Capcom's actually doing a tournament circuit centered around Street Fighter V. Doing anything more than major bug fixes before the Capcom Cup would majorly impact the Capcom Pro Tour. Not to mention, we have yet to see Juri's true potential & Urien has yet to be released. And there's always the potential for one of the lesser-used characters to shut down some of the top-tiers. Combofiend once mentioned that they'd start a philosophy with Street Fighter V to not nerf stronger characters, but rather buff the weaker characters to bring them up to the level of the top-tiers. I honestly agree with this philosophy, & I hope this is applied to the 2017 balance update.

This philosophy works though. I have had many-a-debate with my boyfriend on the handling of balancing. In the end we came full circle to the fact that, if weaker characters tools where brought more in line with the tools stronger characters have, then you'll encounter a lot more variety of characters in matches, meta grows more, and you get these really exciting matches between all these different character types and play styles.

FANG is a great example of a character I think is wacky, fun and silly. I would love to play this guy more, but I feel his tools are lack luster ever so slightly. A simple fine tuning of some of his mechanics, and this character will be an absolute blast to play. Right now though, his tools do not get him what he needs in a fight.

Neoxon

I don't think Capcom has ever once said that they wouldn't repackage and rerelease an updated version of the game.

They've just said that you won't need to buy another version to play the most-recent update.
Hence why I mentioned that they may end up doing a Season 1 collection. The Super name at this point is pretty damn toxic, & it'd be wise for Capcom to avoid it like the plague.

Yo Nash is broken though, he's Akuma + broken dash > throw + good health. His weakness is the corner but he has an ambiguous teleport that he can confirm into massive damage, for 2 v bars. He's got stubby normals but he can control space so easily with booms, dashs and tele that it doesn't matter. His super is very easy to confirm into and he builds/steals meter super fast.

All of his specials have a good amount of startup, his jump arc is relatively short, he can't reversal without spending meter, his normals are stubby, and his dash is forward momentum that can be hit out of.

Also, try baiting his V-Trigger. It's easier than you think.

You can't balance high and low level play at the same time. Dictator is the character with the better win rate, how can you "balance" that without crippling him even more in high level ?

I feel that trying to balance for lower levels of play is a crap shoot. No matter what there's always going to be "that character" that some people will think is just too good.

While I agree with the sentiment, I just don't see what can be done. Like...I'll see somebody say Maxi was stupid in SC2 and in the next breath say they love Xianghua.

To answer both of you, I agree that you cannot realistically balance the game evenly for both high and low-level play, but you still need to avoid it feeling too unbalanced at lower levels, or people will simply stop playing. And honestly, I think that Capcom has mostly done a pretty good job of walking that tightrope. My main point, I guess, is simply that appealing to the fact that high-level players can find solutions to seemingly unbalanced situations is not very useful when that appeal comes with an implicit "you'll have to play at their level to use those solutions".

Trickster

But as stated earlier, it would give the impression that Capcom went back on their word. And it's not like Capcom can whip up 8 or so characters in a matter of months, shit like that takes time. Plus it would mean that existing owners would be left in the cold until Super comes out, & that's not even mentioning the split in the player base that a Super version would cause (something that Capcom cited as one of the main reasons for doing away with Super version). A Season 1 collection can do pretty much everything that a Super version could without the player base split or screwing over existing consumers.

That's what I meant. Didn't think about the fact that an sf4 type release would split the playerbase, that cant happen obviously

All of his specials have a good amount of startup, his jump arc is relatively short, he can't reversal without spending meter, his normals are stubby, and his dash is forward momentum that can be hit out of.

Oh I'm not raging or anything, I'm just saying he clearly has more tools than anybody in the cast that isn't named Chun li. All those weaknesses you gave can be avoided by a skilled Nash or apply to every character. He is by no means unbeatable, but he was obviously given more tools than 90% of the cast. Broken is just hyperbole.

Neoxon

That's what I meant. Didn't think about the fact that an sf4 type release would split the playerbase, that cant happen obviously
Exactly. And as stated earlier, the Super name has grown to have a negative connotation to it for Street Fighter games.

He can't reversal at all. Nash is free on wakeup and has no invincible reversal.

I try to not get too bothered about who's broken and not. I just try to learn the character and find a way around it as best I can. Complaining gets you nowhere, learning does.

Hyun Sai

Ucchedavāda;211716432 said:
To answer both of you, I agree that you cannot realistically balance the game evenly for both high and low-level play, but you still need to avoid it feeling too unbalanced at lower levels, or people will simply stop playing. And honestly, I think that Capcom has mostly done a pretty good job of walking that tightrope. My main point, I guess, is simply that appealing to the fact that high-level players can find solutions to seemingly unbalanced situations is not very useful when that appeal comes with an implicit "you'll have to play at their level to use those solutions".

I understand your sentiment, I thought you had a problem with SFV balance at low level. For example, Sagat in SFIV Vanilla was really mind blowing at low level play, that was hilarious (or not).

KingBroly

Banned
Exactly. And as stated earlier, the Super name has grown to have a negative connotation to it for Street Fighter games.

If they try to re-market it, they're going to have to put it out there. But I don't think they're going to re-market it at this point. The game is a pretty big misstep.

Neoxon

If they try to re-market it, they're going to have to put it out there. But I don't think they're going to re-market it at this point. The game is a pretty big misstep.
Not really. Just doing a Season 1 collection & marketing the shit out of it would achieve basically the same result.

Menitta

I understand your sentiment, I thought you had a problem with SFV balance at low level. For example, Sagat in SFIV Vanilla was really mind blowing at low level play, that was hilarious (or not).

As someone who jumped into Street Fighter 4 at Ultra, what was Vanilla Sagat's deal?

Wow this Jab stuff is getting annoying. Been bumping into a few diamond players, and have been going neck and neck with most of them. I feel like mentally, only pro players can own me, but after not playing for a while, I'm suffering to these little quirks again that's frustrating.

- missing AA
- getting jab out of even cross ups
- resets from jabs
- learning all characters frame traps
- defense in general lacking after taking a break

Hmmmm...i dunno if I feel like continuing to learn this stuff again guys. Think I'm out...

Anytime there's a big GAF group I'll hop on, but playing ranked is turning me off. I miss VF.

Top Bottom