• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

KingBroly

Banned
Not really. Just doing a Season 1 collection & marketing the shit out of it would achieve basically the same result.

People would wait for a Complete Edition at that point.

And SF5's not giving many reasons for new people to go out and buy the game right now.

As someone who jumped into Street Fighter 4 at Ultra, what was Vanilla Sagat's deal?

Really easy damage. Vanilla in general you lose more life just getting hit and Sagat was both high health and damage. He also had great normals (st.hk reached for the sky) and could zone extremely well. Though Akuma was probably the best since he was rising higher up and tech was being found for him when newer versions came out. He actually keeps getting nerfed from version to version and he still remained high tier.

Vanilla also had ultra unblockables. First frame of ultra freeze you can't block. There were setups where Sagat would throw a meaty fireball then ultra. Though this was at the end of vanillas life.

Hyun Sai

As someone who jumped into Street Fighter 4 at Ultra, what was Vanilla Sagat's deal?

He had more Health, hilarious damage on nearly everything normal or special, he could trade confirm much more easily, could cancel from 2 hits Lk, Tiger knee was insane, Top tiers zoning... The online Sagat army was real, and disappeared quickly in Super. In fact I never saw so much people dropping a character so quickly.

Mizerman

So, I'm still on my fence on wheter or not to buy this game.
Someone said to me it is really easy to get in-game currency to buy all the characters. True or false?

Oh, it's very easy to earn FM in this to buy the characters. As long as you don't worry about those cosmetics.

Thanks for the replies on the Titles

I REALLY love the new Mod Manager. It's SO awesome. I wish it had an update option like the other (more inferior one) had.

IF IF IF they did Super Street Fighter 5, it'd be smart to do that if you added more platforms. Otherwise, another re-branded marketing attempt is just foolish. I know some people have suggested it happening/want it to happen, but I don't really know if Capcom can handle doing that. So I don't think it'll happen.

It'll happen, but it'll just be called the "Super" update. Probably be digital only too, just to save on costs. And no, they won't be expanding on platforms. There is honestly no reason to, unless you think they should be doing an NX version.

Hyun Sai

So, I'm still on my fence on wheter or not to buy this game.
Someone said to me it is really easy to get in-game currency to buy all the characters. True or false?

Depends. By doing all characters story, trials, challenges, easy and normal survival (Hard survival for the 2 characters I use), DLC story normal and hard, I have around 180K FM left (I bought all DLC characters, one 40K story costume and one 70K stage).

Depends. By doing all characters story, trials, challenges, easy and normal survival (Hard survival for the 2 characters I use), DLC story normal and hard, I have around 180K FM left (I bought all DLC characters, one 40K story costume and one 70K stage).
Did you not do the same stuff for the DLC characters? Because I think you should have a lot more FM left if that's the case.

I did literally the same thing you did for all the DLC characters too (didn't do normal for Juri) and have like 220kFM left. And I bought all available stages, more than 2 story costumes, colours, a few titles and a few themes.

EDIT: Granted, I did buy the Season pass so there was FM saved there.

He can't reversal at all. Nash is free on wakeup and has no invincible reversal.

I try to not get too bothered about who's broken and not. I just try to learn the character and find a way around it as best I can. Complaining gets you nowhere, learning does.

Well, he can super on wakeup, but no Nash will ever do that.

Hyun Sai

Did you not do the same stuff for the DLC characters? Because I think you should have a lot more FM left if that's the case.

I did literally the same thing you did for all the DLC characters too (didn't do normal for Juri) and have like 220kFM left. And I bought all available stages, more than 2 story costumes, colours, a few titles and a few themes.

EDIT: Granted, I did buy the Season pass so there was FM saved there.

I do not have the season pass, and yes, I did that with all the DLC characters too.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So I'm learning Karin online and losing a lot. Ran into some dude from the UK, high silver, who beat me 7 sets in a row. Dude is taunting every round and then also talking shit in the text chat/lobby--right from the beginning! I beat him a couple of rounds maybe. Was salty as fuck, not gonna lie, but it was good practice regardless. Loving me some Karin. Back to it today.

Menitta

Really easy damage. Vanilla in general you lose more life just getting hit and Sagat was both high health and damage. He also had great normals (st.hk reached for the sky) and could zone extremely well. Though Akuma was probably the best since he was rising higher up and tech was being found for him when newer versions came out. He actually keeps getting nerfed from version to version and he still remained high tier.

Vanilla also had ultra unblockables. First frame of ultra freeze you can't block. There were setups where Sagat would throw a meaty fireball then ultra. Though this was at the end of vanillas life.

He had more Health, hilarious damage on nearly everything normal or special, he could trade confirm much more easily, could cancel from 2 hits Lk, Tiger knee was insane, Top tiers zoning... The online Sagat army was real, and disappeared quickly in Super. In fact I never saw so much people dropping a character so quickly.

giphy.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when Super dropped and I was just destroying Sagats left and right, because I banged my head against that awful match-up for so long. And he wasn't bad or anything in Super.
That really helped me understand fighting games better.

I remember when Super dropped and I was just destroying Sagats left and right, because I banged my head against that awful match-up for so long. And he wasn't bad or anything in Super.

his tiger uppercut changed into a kitten uppercut b

def sim

sagat's standing short was 1 hit in vanilla

anyway, glad to see vanilla akuma getting the recognition. incredible walk speed, damage, combos, and stun with a near perfect vortex. every iteration they took away from him and the dude is still strong

def sim

So did Super introduce the trade uppercut into forward HK into Ultra? That was pretty nice, too...

Nah, they tried fixing that by making him airborne in the early frames of tu so he would do a flip out. It's supposed to give him a harder time doing a follow up.

He stayed grounded and had all the time in the world before.

Steroyd

Ucchedavāda;211716432 said:
To answer both of you, I agree that you cannot realistically balance the game evenly for both high and low-level play, but you still need to avoid it feeling too unbalanced at lower levels, or people will simply stop playing. And honestly, I think that Capcom has mostly done a pretty good job of walking that tightrope. My main point, I guess, is simply that appealing to the fact that high-level players can find solutions to seemingly unbalanced situations is not very useful when that appeal comes with an implicit "you'll have to play at their level to use those solutions".

But how do you determine what is "unbalananced" at low level play versus simply learning the matchup, a F.A.N.G who knows his shit will look broken tier to someone who doesn't know when to press a button or Bison for that matter with those long block strings, but neither are on the radar when we talk about winning tournaments at high level play so you'd end up nerfing characters who are at the bottom of the nerf list for no reason.

Trickster

What are people finding to be Juri's best AA option? I can't seems to get any I've tried to work well. They either whiff easily or seem to require very specific timing

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope capcom dont do a season 1 disc, late adopters can suffer survival mode like the rest of us.
I hope they do it so that there will be late adopters lol.

Question is how they're going to balance Fight Money, though. They almost can't keep it how it is now, because you would get what? 1.2 million FM? They would never sell anything else to those users again.

What are people finding to be Juri's best AA option? I can't seems to get any I've tried to work well. They either whiff easily or seem to require very specific timing
Her standing jab is good.

It was such a good upgrade. I was a Dictator main and he was GODLIKE in Super. Sagats and Ryus were getting eaten up all day.

Hutchie

I hope they do it so that there will be late adopters lol.

Question is how they're going to balance Fight Money, though. They almost can't keep it how it is now, because you would get what? 1.2 million FM? They would never sell anything else to those users again.

The original goal was that dedicated players could earn all gameplay related content. Ive got enough for all characters but dont have online and struggle with hard survival. Im guessing they increase fight money wins to 150 and give you a bit of money if you lose

Menitta

The original goal was that dedicated players could earn all gameplay related content. Ive got enough for all characters but dont have online and struggle with hard survival. Im guessing they increase fight money wins to 150 and give you a bit of money if you lose

I'd want this. The amount of fight money you get from a win is way too low.

Man I remember Vanilla Sagat like it was just yesterday. That guy was terrifying, but it wasn't because he had fat jump in combos like Sakura or Evil Ryu. It was because his zoning was so good and the single hit damage you were taking from trying to get in was ridiculous.

This isn't like dealing with a AA jab from the SFV characters. It really hurt trying to get in on a good defensive Sagat. Tiger Uppercut did 170 damage, the tip of st. HK did 110 damage, and then you would have the tip of LK tiger knee(safe when spaced right) doing 90 and sending you back full screen. And even if you were kicking his ass the whole round you better be very careful when he has two bars because TU, FADC, High Step Kick, Ultra could be coming for 622 damage.

He probably wasn't the best, but he was easily the most frustrating to deal with.

The current system is just absurd on all levels.
Considering that SFV is a competitive, (online) multiplayer game, it makes no sense that the vast, vast majority of currency has to be earned playing (offline) single-player contents, that is poorly implemented to boot. The game should be incentivizing online play, in order to grow the competitive community, but instead playing online earns you a pittance in terms of in-game currency. You need, what, some 1000+ wins to afford a single character? It's such a wasted opportunity.

Ucchedavāda;211726665 said:
The current system is just absurd on all levels.
Considering that SFV is a competitive, (online) multiplayer game, it makes no sense that the vast, vast majority of currency has to be earned playing (offline) single-player contents, that is poorly implemented to boot. The game should be incentivizing online play, in order to grow the competitive community, but instead playing online earns you a pittance in terms of in-game currency. You need, what, some 1000+ wins to afford a single character? It's such a wasted opportunity.

While the online rates need to be fixed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them using the offline aspect to drive currency. What happens when the network is down? What happens when you simply cannot play online? Or don't want to?

On the flipside, getting people to watch the tutorials by giving them a monetary incentive helps them learn the game and be rewarded (even if the tutorial system is garbage compared to the sick one in KI). Story mode stuff rewards people who just wanna mash it out. And even though the challenges aren't always the best, they once again help with execution and reward the player.

Once Dailies hit, I think things will even out. And if the VS Special Battle Mode can help teach people some things like not jumping so much, that'll be awesome as well. But I think it'd be awful if they kept it gated behind the online portion. Just up that rate and be done with it.

Moaradin

The main method of getting FM online was supposed to be the daily challenges, but they dropped the ball pretty hard with that one. It doesn't surprise me though since CFN is still basic as fuck. Still don't even have working stats yet. I don't know how dailies are gonna get implemented without breaking the whole damn system.

While the online rates need to be fixed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them using the offline aspect to drive currency. What happens when the network is down? What happens when you simply cannot play online? Or don't want to?

On the flipside, getting people to watch the tutorials by giving them a monetary incentive helps them learn the game and be rewarded (even if the tutorial system is garbage compared to the sick one in KI). Story mode stuff rewards people who just wanna mash it out. And even though the challenges aren't always the best, they once again help with execution and reward the player.

Once Dailies hit, I think things will even out. And if the VS Special Battle Mode can help teach people some things like not jumping so much, that'll be awesome as well. But I think it'd be awful if they kept it gated behind the online portion. Just up that rate and be done with it.

Let me clarify that I am not against earning FM in single-player contents, I simply do not want that to be the major source of FM. As you say, giving FM for watching tutorials is a good move. If Capcom greatly increased the FM you get per online fight, and added daily challenges, then online would be the more reliable source of FM, over and above just staying offline, but you also had ways to earn it even if you don't like playing vs other people.

Also, if the CFN or your connection goes down, then you are screwed no matter what. You cannot earn FM without being connected to the CFN.

Sharkz1

Neo Member
Im a Melee player who's been playing SFV off and on since launch, but recently I now have a practice partner (another Melee player from my state) and I'm pretty motivated right now. I main Mika, and I feel like my next step is to step up my combo game past just the basic Mika combos everyone knows. I feel like a lot of the setup combos I watch on YouTube are so specific, but is it smartest to just slowly learn these one at a time or are there good guides to help extend Mika combos. When watching players like Fuudo I love studying his combos, but a lot require really strong hit confirms that I'm just not fast enough to get yet. I'm not quite sure where to take my next step. Any Mika players have suggestions?

And months ago, watching one of Gootecks' videos I got the idea of having multiple small prints/posters to hang on my wall instead of just one or two large ones that I have. And now that I've moved into a new place Ive been on the hunt for different prints I want for games I enjoy. For SF, I would love to have a Mika print, but I've had a really tough time finding a good picture that I wouldn't be ashamed of using (lol). But last night I found a Sample of one of pictures from the Japanese SFV artbook that I really liked.

http://m.imgur.com/pD4eSLm

Unfortunately I can't use this cause of the Sample watermark. I did a ton of searching last night but just couldn't find a clean scan of it. Does anyone have a clue how I could find it? I don't know if has been scanned at all. If not, is there an online version I could buy? (I'm assuming not) Or is my beat bet to buy the artbook and scan it myself?
Edit: or if anyone else has good mika poster ideas lemme know!

Thanks for the help guys!

The main method of getting FM online was supposed to be the daily challenges, but they dropped the ball pretty hard with that one. It doesn't surprise me though since CFN is still basic as fuck. Still don't even have working stats yet. I don't know how dailies are gonna get implemented without breaking the whole damn system.
I doubt any of that is coming anymore. At this point they are just milking whatever customers they have left with 10 dollars stage, and overpriced costumes.

Ucchedavāda;211729752 said:
Let me clarify that I am not against earning FM in single-player contents, I simply do not want that to be the major source of FM. As you say, giving FM for watching tutorials is a good move. If Capcom greatly increased the FM you get per online fight, and added daily challenges, then online would be the more reliable source of FM, over and above just staying offline, but you also had ways to earn it even if you don't like playing vs other people.

Also, if the CFN or your connection goes down, then you are screwed no matter what. You cannot earn FM without being connected to the CFN.

Yeah, it'd be best if it was even, because then all crowds would benefit. And the CFN going down and not earning fight money is because people would abuse that shit all the way to the bank. I see why they do it. But yeah, at this point, they just need to figure out the right ratios and go from there.

As for dailies/challenges, they recently said something about it in a blog post, so they are aware. Hopefully Haunts can give us some updates.

I doubt any of that is coming anymore. At this point they are just milking whatever customers they have left with 10 dollars stage, and overpriced costumes.

Until they state they've dropped it, I'm inclined to believe it's coming. The overpriced premium costumes and the 10 dollar stage aren't even buyable with FM.

Top Bottom