• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

This new Daigo vs Tokido match is pretty awesome. Daigo won, but it doesn't matter as it's only an online match. What's fun about this match is to see how the meta is changing in this mirror match. You had Daigo being able to control the match with his fireball game against Tokido in CEO. Tokido clutched it out. They also played again for a Japanese television show, which Daigo won behind the scenes. Tokido said that this made him consider two things. One, is that he must start using the v-reversal more often as it is great to start your offense, and this strat allowed Daigo to gain the advantage. And secondly that he must start using the parry. Not only would it affect Daigo's fireball game, but it will also give him more v meter so that he can use the v reversal more often. He applied this at EVO and beat Daigo.

Now Daigo said on his show that he needs to start utilizing the parry in this mirror match. He couldn't do it at EVO on the fly because he didn't know the timing/spacing required to pull it off. You can see him adjust to Tokido's new strategy in this ranked match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-GfrHyNN4

Xeteh

I've said it before in this thread but I like using the character trials for practicing my execution because its real shit... I really wish that Capcom had actually used various BnB combos for those, so many are so inefficient and will never be used outside of that.

This new Daigo vs Tokido match is pretty awesome. Daigo won, but it doesn't matter as it's only an online match. What's fun about this match is to see how the meta is changing in this mirror match. You had Daigo being able to control the match with his fireball game against Tokido in CEO. Tokido clutched it out. They also played again for a Japanese television show, which Daigo won behind the scenes. Tokido said that this made him consider two things. One, is that he must start using the v-reversal more often as it is great to start your offense, and this strat allowed Daigo to gain the advantage. And secondly that he must start using the parry. Not only would it affect Daigo's fireball game, but it will also give him more v meter so that he can use the v reversal more often. He applied this at EVO and beat Daigo.

Now Daigo said on his show that he needs to start utilizing the parry in this mirror match. He couldn't do it at EVO on the fly because he didn't know the timing/spacing required to pull it off. You can see him adjust to Tokido's new strategy in this ranked match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-GfrHyNN4

In more than 20 years, no one still has as good a fireball game as Daigo.

Alchemist

Ever since Capcom revealed who the most played characters are online it seems like almost everyone has switched to Ryu. No Cammy, no Karin barely any Nash and all Ken players lag.

GGs. That went about as I expected.

I don't think I'll be able to improve anymore.

I've only played as Rog and never played Laura vs Rog, but PR Rog did say it was 6-4 in her favour.

It definitely looks really difficult for him, lots of guessing that you have to hold.

Also that wakeup 3f LK is so good, same with Vega's. Also when the V-Trigger rush starting going I kept trying different options to see what would work and all of them took the L and then I decided to just start blocking lol

FluxWaveZ

Also that wakeup 3f LK is so good, same with Vega's. Also when the V-Trigger rush starting going I kept trying different options to see what would work and all of them took the L and then I decided to just start blocking lol

Yeah, the only real option there is if a character has an actual reversal, but that can be baited as well. Still, I should be going for the reset less. It really puts me at a loss when it gets blocked, and then I panic rush punch to eventually get punished by a neutral jump.

LakeEarth

Man, Zangief is tough with Balrog. The armor moves make every special a risk (plus anything that isn't jab rush can be SPD'd on block), and for some reason I have trouble getting anti-airs to work against Zangief's jump in. It's not hopeless, but I feel like it's pretty tough.

JayEH

Man, Zangief is tough with Balrog. The armor moves make every special a risk (plus anything that isn't jab rush can be SPD'd on block), and for some reason I have trouble getting anti-airs to work against Zangief's jump in. It's not hopeless, but I feel like it's pretty tough.

Def one of his hardest match ups maybe the hardest.

Alchemist

I'm right here.
.....until Urien drops.

Disappointed.

Do you have a pic of those %s

15_evopanelpop02.jpg

Shadoken

I wonder how a new official Capcom Character popularity poll would be. Definitely some characters moving around. I think Nash would move up a lot. He was just mid-high last time.

But Now I think he might even overtake Guile. Cool looking moveset , edgy character design, Plenty of tourney exposure thanks to Infiltration.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way Cammy is that high. This must be from shortly after release. Or she's insanely popular in Asia or something.

Shadoken

There's no way Cammy is that high. This must be from shortly after release. Or she's insanely popular in Asia or something.

It was released during EVO.

Who do you think is above her? That list seems very accurate. Though I am guessing the Gap between Shotos and Nash is pretty big. And the rest of them are pretty close to each other. Also depends on your ranking.

you might be right , I see a loot of Necallis and Mikas compared to Cammys (or even Nash,Ken). But its also because am in Plat and tiers will matter a lot more here than character popularity.

Maybe in Rookie and Bronze which are the majority of the userbase. The Characters popularity matters a lot.

I don't think a lot of those boxes on the deviantart are actually accurate, the active frames might actually already be over by then, the deviantart also shows this
9d2383a4e4.jpg

But that's not accurate at all, sim actually has his hand up there.

This is accurate. The first active frame of Sim's sLP doesn't hit grounded opponents. It's actually a 4-frame move in the general sense.

I used to see a lot more Lauras and Mikas than I did Cammy players, but as word of tiers and balance spreads Laura's usage decreases. Mika stays pretty consistent. In Cammy's case I think it helps that she is a SF2 character with a lot of dedicated players. Karin and Nash were the real winners in all of this. I think people would laugh at someone who goes back in time and tells people Karin gets more play than Chun or Cammy, but here we are.
Ever since Capcom revealed who the most played characters are online it seems like almost everyone has switched to Ryu. No Cammy, no Karin barely any Nash and all Ken players lag.
Chun, Necalli and Nash may steal the spotlight more often, but I think most people know Ryu is the real hotness and easily the easiest of the top 5 to use.
I wonder how a new official Capcom Character popularity poll would be. Definitely some characters moving around. I think Nash would move up a lot. He was just mid-high last time.

But Now I think he might even overtake Guile. Cool looking moveset , edgy character design, Plenty of tourney exposure thanks to Infiltration.
Nash and Karin will skyrocket from now on. They'll definitely stay in the consciousness of the SF audience for a while.

Alchemist

Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm in the UK and the characters I see the most among European countries are Bison, Ryu, FANG, Laura and Necalli.

Shadoken

Dont forget that Most played ranking is probably something along the lines of

40% Ryu
30% Ken
30% Everybody else

So Nash Karin Cammy being top 3 doesn't really mean much , people might experience other characters more often . When it comes to SF and MK , Ryu,Ken,Scorps,Subz are what casuals love to play.

Characters better than Cammy:
- Ryu
- Ken
- Chun
- Nash
- Necalli
- Mika

Juri probably is as well.

Most played an Tiers dont mean much though. Ryu and Ken could be ass tier and they will still be number 1 & 2.

Karin was already #1 in Japan & around Top 10 for the rest of the world, but I can see her international ranking going up.

Japanese poll was so weird. Seemed a bit too waifu centric , no wonder Capcom have made such changes to costumes and such. Not talking about actual popular characters like Karin,Cammy..etc. But Ingrid being no 4 in Japan and bottom tier in English ranking was lol. Even The dolls like Juli and Juni rated too high in Japan ranking.

English Rankings also seemed to favor classic SF2 characters much more.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212184681]This is accurate. The first active frame of Sim's sLP doesn't hit grounded opponents. It's actually a 4-frame move in the general sense.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I said.

Blah, really sorry to cut this short guys, wife came home early so I'm gonna go finish cooking dinner and eat. I'll leave after your match so it doesn't cut y'all off. I'll be back later.

Dont forget that Most played ranking is probably something along the lines of

40% Ryu
30% Ken
30% Everybody else

So Nash Karin Cammy being top 3 doesn't really mean much , people might experience other characters more often . When it comes to SF and MK , Ryu,Ken,Scorps,Subz are what casuals love to play.
It means something when the share of remaining players after the top 5 starts to drop off significantly.That smaller share of Karin players still managed to buy enough of her summer outfit and stage to make for 2/3 most bought real money items in the game. Chun has a ton of outfits herself and is supposed to be the most popular, but I didn't see any of her items on the real money top 3 or fight money top 3.

I realize that I'm going a bit off topic here, but Karin definitely feels like she is a good bit above most of the other females. Can't remember the last time I fought a Laura and Chun has gained a little popularity since just before EVO when people finally started accepting her strength.
Japanese poll was so weird. Seemed a bit too waifu centric , no wonder Capcom have made such changes to costumes and such. Not talking about actual popular characters like Karin,Cammy..etc. But Ingrid being no 4 in Japan and bottom tier in English ranking was lol. Even The dolls like Juli and Juni rated too high in Japan ranking.

English Rankings also seemed to favor classic SF2 characters much more.
Cody, Makoto and Alex are all more popular on the Japanese poll while Q still remains pretty high up. I respect their taste. Ingrid is also nowhere near the bottom on the english poll either. She is in 44th place in the English rankings and 29th in Overall rankings (out of 67 in total). At the very least she is higher up than Balrog, Abel, Fuerte, Gill, Birdie, Rufus, Seth, Sodom and Hugo. Some of these characters are already in the game. If done right I think she could definitely gain a lot of popularity just like Karin and the game could use females of a different body type anyway.

Top Bottom