• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

molnizzle

If you get those tools, you don't need combos.

Still need to be able to make opponent "eat big damage" at opportune moments, don't I? Every top player I watch is doing a combo every time they get the chance.

You only need like three combos starting out, so getting those down shouldn't be too hard

Yes that's the problem, I can't reliably do Ken cross-up j.MK, cr.MP, b.MP, s.HP xx HP DP. I can do it perfectly fine without the cr.MP but adding that in adds an extra 31 damage. I can't reconcile the fact that I leave that much damage on the table by not having the optimal combo.

mbpm1

WTF JURI HAS AN AIR THROW?

Just won a match by doing it accidentally instead of doing air target combo

I really need to read the command lists

Damage is way better than air target combo too

Still need to be able to make opponent "eat big damage" at opportune moments, don't I? Every top player I watch is doing a combo every time they get the chance.

Yes that's the problem, I can't reliably do Ken cross-up j.MK, cr.MP, b.MP, s.HP xx HP DP. I can do it perfectly fine without the cr.MP but adding that in adds an extra 31 damage. I can't reconcile the fact that I leave that much damage on the table by not having the optimal combo.

That is notoriously an inconsistent combo, it's a coin flip for me whether I get it or not. Do St.LP, B.MP instead. Not as optimal, but still damaging. And do HK Tatsu instead of DP, because corner carry is much more important for Ken.

Xeteh

WTF JURI HAS AN AIR THROW?

image.php

Yep.

Skilletor

I disagree. Having combos is how you inflict most of your damage in this game. All those other tools help open up your opponent for combos. Without combos, you're probably not gonna win against a decent opponent.

All those huge combos infiltration used to win evo. Like... Jab, scythe.

Jab jab... Scythe.

MP, scythe.. Super.

You guys got it backwards. You win in this game (and every sf) through fundamentals. Thinking you should be practicing combos and that's more important is holding you back.

Xeteh

Jab jab... Scythe.

MP, scythe.. Super.

You guys got it backwards. You win in this game (and every sf) through fundamentals. Thinking you should be practicing combos and that's more important is holding you back.

I'm with Skilletor. I'm someone who practices combos first... and then I hope I can find a time to use them. My game is shit.

"You guys got it backwards. You win in this game (and every sf) through fundamentals. Thinking you should be practicing combos and that's more important is holding you back."

Yup. Another way to look at it is: It doesn't matter how consistent and damaging your combos are if you never land a hit. Work on the fundamentals first (that's why they're called fundamentals) and settle for non-optimal, but reliable combos.

molnizzle

That is notoriously an inconsistent combo, it's a coin flip for me whether I get it or not. Do St.LP, B.MP instead. Not as optimal, but still damaging. And do HK Tatsu instead of DP, because corner carry is much more important for Ken.

why does a "notoriously inconsistent combo" even exist?

why, game

Yup. Another way to look at it is: It doesn't matter how consistent and damaging your combos are if you never land a hit. Work on the fundamentals first (that's why they're called fundamentals) and settle for non-optimal, but reliable combos.

That's what I've been doing, but it's been a few hundred hours now and I'm ready to maximize my damage output when I get my hits in.

Ketch

GGs, I don't know that much about Juri but some general advice I can give is just to make sure you got your BnBs down since there was some times especially when I whiffed a DP that you could have gotten some big damage. Especially make sure to practice a crush counter combo. Also as far as fireballs go you don't have to just stand there and block, neutral jump every once in a while to throw off my timing, you can also start to slowly walk forward, the closer you are the less likely I'll throw fireballs. that one split move she does it good to do every once in a while but I was starting to anticipate it after I threw a few fireballs. finally just anti air, don't think you did it once so I had no problem just continually jumping in.

Yea. thanks for the advice. I definetly didn't really land any comboes. All i want to do is the easy ones too... I was happy to at least not get totally shut out. A lot of times, I feel like I just don't have the reactions you know. Like I'd like to anti air, or jab the dash up throw, or punish the dp but the idea comes a split second too late. Lots of "oh I shoulda... ", or like "Fuck, next time he does that I'll .... " going on in my head.

The only thing I really noticed while playing against you was fireballs in sets of twos or threes. Sometimes maybe just one? or like set the expectation of a pattern of two but then just do one. I think maybe less is more because like you said once you caught on to my split kick you made it a lot more difficult.

molnizzle

It's just a combo that only works close up. There's tons of range specific combos, you just need to be able to identify the ranges.

After a cross-up I'm always within range though, the problem is the timing and lining the buttons up with d-pad motions. About 50% of the time I drop combo by doing a normal s.MP instead of the chin buster b.MP. I think because d-pad hasn't fully reset from the d.MP? I don't know.

JayEH

After a cross-up I'm always within range though, the problem is the timing and lining the buttons up with d-pad motions. About 50% of the time I drop combo by doing a normal s.MP instead of the chin buster b.MP. I think because d-pad hasn't fully reset from the d.MP? I don't know.

It's an awkward thing to get used to at first but it's just practice and muscle memory. Just practice it a few minutes a day and in matches don't do the crouching MP until you're 100% comfortable. It's better to get guaranteed damage than cutting off a combo short due to execution error.

Zackat

I'm doing a new series on the site I run (FloKO) called GET GOOD. The basic concept is that I'm not good at SFV but I want to be. So when I'm with pro players, I get them to show me a thing or two to help me GET GOOD. Pretty clever eh?
not really lol

Anyways, the first episode is with Long Island Joe. I thought y'all might dig it. Thanks!

http://www.floko.tv/video/986655-get-good-with-long-island-joe

edit - also, this was shot back in May, so I'm gooder now ;)

I am just so happy you spelled it GET GOOD and not git gud. I watched it earlier, LI Joe is a pretty chill dude.

and you made all this stuff with LI Joe before he got all ESPNSPORTS. Fortunate timing :D

mbpm1

You do the target combo for the superior wakeup game, unless your opponent is in the corner, the air throw doesn't really give you any pressure afterwards.

Hm, I see. A low air throw seems to put you pretty close though. Unless you're still recovering from it afterwards

Jab jab... Scythe.

MP, scythe.. Super.

Funny thing is that those combos you mentioned are probably harder to land for beginners than typical max damage combos. Not the actual combos, but being able to confirm them.

Max damage is for punishes of if you land a jump in over a fireball or whiffed move with tons of recovery so they're easy to recognize. But being able to confirm off first of two chained lights or seeing a whiffed throw and getting him/her before they recover is pretty hard. I still screw up my light confirms way too much.

Okay guys, level with me. I've brought this up before, but now I have to push.
There is some technique to guarantee a block and a tech grab off jump in block. I just played a guy who had perfect technique. Always answered right, either blocked, or always tech grabbed with 100% accuracy over 4 games.
I tried a jab shimmy I saw online, but his grab never came out. But neutral jump after jump in blocked hit and I started seeing him whiff it. But, he was back to safe before my neutral jump hit could land, so I'm not even sure how to counter it.
Someone explain it please. What is this tech, how do you do this. I want 100% jump in defense too!

Okay guys, level with me. I've brought this up before, but now I have to push.
There is some technique to guarantee a block and a tech grab off jump in block. I just played a guy who had perfect technique. Always answered right, either blocked, or always tech grabbed with 100% accuracy over 4 games.
I tried a jab shimmy I saw online, but his grab never came out. But neutral jump after jump in blocked hit and I started seeing him whiff it. But, he was back to safe before my neutral jump hit could land, so I'm not even sure how to counter it.
Someone explain it please. What is this tech, how do you do this. I want 100% jump in defense too!

My guess would be delayed tech? He slightly delays the tech attempt so that if you did press a button against him after jumping in, the blockstun wouldn't allow that move to come out and if you did go for a throw, he'd just tech it. This is assuming I understood you correctly.

My guess would be delayed tech? He slightly delays the tech attempt so that if you did press a button against him after jumping in, the blockstun wouldn't allow that move to come out and if you did go for a throw, he'd just tech it. This is assuming I understood you correctly.

Flux mentioned that last time, but the way he put it made it sound like some super high tier skill. This guy, other than this tech, was utterly mediocre.
I want like a tutorial on this, this is need to know shit for sure.

Flux mentioned that last time, but the way he put it made it sound like some super high tier skill. This guy, other than this tech, was utterly mediocre.

Can't seem to find a good tutorial for this since most seem to be for other games or for the jump tech OS.

It works like this, once you get hit with a jump in, the opponent will usually follow up with a normal or a throw. Walking back to shimmy you is a very risky option since most character's backward walk speeds aren't good enough to shimmy you. (maybe Vega?)

So when you get hit by a jump in, just block down+back and then wait a fraction of a second until a normal has come out by the enemy and press throw. If they tried to throw you, you teched it. If they hit you with a normal, the blockstun will prevent your tech attempt from coming out.

It's really not a difficult thing to do, it just takes time and understanding of the opponent's normals to perfect. Granted this technique can still be beat by stuff like empty jumps, or jump ins into command throws, or even jump in and then do a neutral jump. It's not a perfect strategy but it works most of the time.

mbpm1

Just delay your button to beat it I think

Can't seem to find a good tutorial for this since most seem to be for other games or for the jump tech OS.

It works like this, once you get hit with a jump in, the opponent will usually follow up with a normal or a throw. Walking back to shimmy you is a very risky option since most character's backward walk speeds aren't good enough to shimmy you. (maybe Vega?)

So when you get hit by a jump in, just block down+back and then wait a fraction of a second until a normal has come out by the enemy and press throw. If they tried to throw you, you teched it. If they hit you with a normal, the blockstun will prevent your tech attempt from coming out.

It's really not a difficult thing to do, it just takes time and understanding of the opponent's normals to perfect. Granted this technique can still be beat by stuff like empty jumps, or jump ins into command throws, or even jump in and then do a neutral jump. It's not a perfect strategy but it works most of the time.

Thanks for the write up!
Empty jumping is the one thing I didn't try. He was freaking out a little from the neutral jump, he blocked the incoming attack, but was getting cc-ed by the follow up at first.
Maybe the slower Hp I was using in neutral was delayed just enough to make him trade and CCed.
Seems like a skill honed in practice, I'm gonna go do just that, thanks again Lucebuce!

Thanks for the write up!
Empty jumping is the one thing I didn't try. He was freaking out a little from the neutral jump, he blocked the incoming attack, but was getting cc-ed by the follow up at first.
Maybe the slower Hp I was using in neutral was delayed just enough to make him trade and CCed.
Seems like a skill honed in practice, I'm gonna go do just that, thanks again Lucebuce!

Anytime :)

Do check out that link I posted above your post, it's a pretty decent way to practice it.

Decided to give some love to Bloody Roar 2, my favourite fighting game ever, in that Essential fighting games thread.

I mean SF5 is cool and all, but it doesn't even have E.Honda while BR2 has Long.

SmokeMaxX

Is light spinning mixer like the only move that seems to go from -2 to plus when you play online? I'm literally mashing my fastest normal when I see that I'm blocking it (starting as early as I see that I'm in blockstun) and still get counterhit. I know that it's not actually plus but I don't get why it's so hard to challenge online. I've consistently been counterhit after blocking it.

Is light spinning mixer like the only move that seems to go from -2 to plus when you play online? I'm literally mashing my fastest normal when I see that I'm blocking it (starting as early as I see that I'm in blockstun) and still get counterhit. I know that it's not actually plus but I don't get why it's so hard to challenge online. I've consistently been counterhit after blocking it.

You're not the only one. People have said that even offline it gets a little tough to consistently punish that move.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mash jab like a crazy person after spinning mixer and stillget counter-hit sometimes. It's weird.

Ok, who has BnB's that are reliably easy to do on a gamepad that's being held like a normal human holds a controller? Anyone? I'm sick of still dropping this shit with Ken after dozens of hours of straight practice.
What can't you do with Karin or Ken? I can do everything she has without much hassle by now tbh. It's a matter of practice.

Yeah, that is beyond stupid. Rog needed more time in testing before he was ready.

I've been trying to think of balance tweaks that could be done to improve the quality of the game. Balance is really tight across the board and the more I thought about small tweaks to one character, it really changed a lot for everybody. Really, though, it's mostly just active frames and hitbox tweaks that need to happen.

One thing is for certain, Ryu's j.LK needs to change.

//ARCANUM

I am just so happy you spelled it GET GOOD and not git gud. I watched it earlier, LI Joe is a pretty chill dude.

and you made all this stuff with LI Joe before he got all ESPNSPORTS. Fortunate timing :D

lol i know right? we just think that Joe is an awesome dude with a great story to tell. all the EVO stuff just makes it even more of a "Rocky" story!

It's the netcode. There are times when Ryu's Axe Kick can be punished on block and going for the S.LK, trade or get hit by the S.LK. Hell even R.Mika's S.MP can end up feeling positive on block online. Then there is M.Bison who is the definition of Online Tatic.

And if the netcode is bad enough, Sweeps can end up being safe on block close range.

Skilletor

It's the netcode. There are times when Ryu's Axe Kick can be punished on block and going for the S.LK, trade or get hit by the S.LK. Hell even R.Mika's S.MP can end up feeling positive on block online. Then there is M.Bison who is the definition of Online Tatic.

And if the netcode is bad enough, Sweeps can end up being safe on block close range.

It isn't the netcode. It happens offline, too.

Friend lost to it at EVO and didn't understand why. I think it's a bug. It's -2, lk is 3 frames, which means any 3-4 frame move, or even a 5 frame medium should beat it, but I'm constantly getting hit and seeing counter hits from it.

Your crusade against THE NETCODE is hilarious.

Ryu's b+hk is 0 on block, btw. It can never be punished.

I don't think it's a bug, if you are mashing your move doesn't always come out the second you can react.
So if your opponent is -2, and you miss the window where you still have that -2 advantage, your light could easy come out at frame 0 when you're even, or even -1 where you could also be even depending on how fast your light is.

Which means if they do another medium attack it would beat your light because the stronger button will always win if the attacks hit at the same time.

Skilletor

I don't think it's a bug, if you are mashing your move doesn't always come out the second you can react.
So if your opponent is -2, and you miss the window where you still have that -2 advantage, your light could easy come out at frame 0 when you're even, or even -1 where you could also be even depending on how fast your light is.

Which means if they do another medium attack it would beat your light because the stronger button will always win if the attacks hit at the same time.

I'm fully willing to accept that it could be me, but I also acknowledge that I don't have this issue on any other move. I've tested it extensively with friends and in training, and it's just not consistent at all.

Pompadour

Yeah, that is beyond stupid. Rog needed more time in testing before he was ready.

I've been trying to think of balance tweaks that could be done to improve the quality of the game. Balance is really tight across the board and the more I thought about small tweaks to one character, it really changed a lot for everybody. Really, though, it's mostly just active frames and hitbox tweaks that need to happen.

One thing is for certain, Ryu's j.LK needs to change.

Hitboxes should be bigger, in general. SFV seems to have more instances if limbs passing through the opponent and not doing damage more than most fighting games I've played.

I'm fully willing to accept that it could be me, but I also acknowledge that I don't have this issue on any other move. I've tested it extensively with friends and in training, and it's just not consistent at all.

I've never really had an issue with it tbh. Think it might just be people mistiming it. The timing is really weird on it to be fair.

Top Bottom