• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

What's Laura's best matchup? What about worst?

Best - I'm not sure, there's a lot of characters I don't necessarily mind playing against. Maybe Rog since his defence is trash?

Worst is easily Chun lol. shit every characters worst MU is Chun

Ah ah ah the same thing happened to me with Guile Cr HP against that same Ryu kick, so it's not really a Balrog thing ^^
Yep happens to me all the time too. His cHp is soooo bad in the game. If I don't have fk charge I just block. Also guess who has the best cHp in this game. Starts with R ends with u.

Yeah, that is beyond stupid. Rog needed more time in testing before he was ready.

I've been trying to think of balance tweaks that could be done to improve the quality of the game. Balance is really tight across the board and the more I thought about small tweaks to one character, it really changed a lot for everybody. Really, though, it's mostly just active frames and hitbox tweaks that need to happen.

One thing is for certain, Ryu's j.LK needs to change.

I think the thing with changing hit/hurtboxes in this game is if one character gets a big change that it will be a cut above everyone else's same move. The boxes seem so balanced for most of the cast and play really well into each matchup. With such a "footsie" based game like this it could turn the tables pretty quickly.

You mentioned Ryu's j.LK which is a great example. Whatever little tweak they did to that move made it godlike. They are going to have to be very careful going forward. I really wish they would employ top players to test their changes as they are the ones that will find most of this stuff anyways.

I'm also all for a PTR type balance test if possible before the big balance patch next year. Give people a couple weeks with your proposed change list and let them play around with it to find things that work/don't work so we won't have a Ryu j.LK situation for other characters.

DD-11

Yep happens to me all the time too. His cHp is soooo bad in the game. If I don't have fk charge I just block. Also guess who has the best cHp in this game. Starts with R ends with u.

Is the fk down charge move a reliable AA? Also if it does hit, can you follow up with a straight dash punch?

I have no idea how that didn't hit. The hitbox on st.mp covers his whole arm while the hurtbox on ryu's j.hk is his whole entire leg.
Street Fighter V is a weird game.
Co1c5-QVIAEuV9y.jpg:orig

Is the fk down charge move a reliable AA? Also if it does hit, can you follow up with a straight dash punch?
Yes from my experience fk is realiable against most jump in. The lk version that is. If you get a "deep"(meaning you connect it very late) anti air fk you can cancel that into sh. On the other hand if you can connect a fk at your opponents highest position in the air you can get another ex fk before they land.

Worst is easily Chun lol. shit every characters worst MU is Chun

Technically I think Nash is Ryu's hardest match up. But I personally struggle more against Chun. Her normals bodies Ryu's easily, cr. MP gets around my fireballs, and when I have her knocked down Chun players always have at least one bar to remind me to back off. At least Nash is free on wake up. The only time I feel advantageous against Chun is when we're nearly full screen lol.

BTW I was watching Jwong's stream yesterday. He thinks a bunch of stuff is going to go in the next update like Karin's reset. But one thing he was pretty adamant about is jab(light in general) anti airs. I would actually like to see that happen for the most part. Maybe some characters should keep it, but characters like Necalli, Ryu, or Chun should lose theirs. I know some characters already have good medium or heavy anti airs, and if they don't then I think they should be made better to replace their jab anti airs. So it would take a little more time and you get a bit more damage, but lose the dash under mix up.

BTW I was watching Jwong's stream yesterday. He thinks a bunch of stuff is going to go in the next update like Karin's reset. But one thing he was pretty adamant about is jab(light in general) anti airs. I would actually like to see that happen for the most part. Maybe some characters should keep it, but characters like Necalli, Ryu, or Chun should lose theirs. I know some characters already have good medium or heavy anti airs, and if they don't then I think they should be made better to replace their jab anti airs. So it would take a little more time and you get a bit more damage, but lose the dash under mix up.
Next update meaning the August update or after Capcom Cup?

I would be completely lost if it wasn't for 'Sim's anti-air LP. It's his only defense against cross-ups and he really needs to retain it in order to keep him viable. Same with 'Gief; he needs his for the same reason.

As for Ryu, Necalli, Chun, and Mika, they can lose the LP. They have enough damage potential that it wouldn't hurt them much to lose it.

I would be completely lost if it wasn't for 'Sim's anti-air LP. It's his only defense against cross-ups and he really needs to retain it in order to keep him viable. Same with 'Gief; he needs his for the same reason.

As for Ryu, Necalli, Chun, and Mika, they can lose the LP. They have enough damage potential that it wouldn't hurt them much to lose it.

Sim and Gief do need it tbh.

some characters just don't lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's interesting is that they haven't "fixed" Karin's jab reset yet. It really looks like a bug and they have removed bugs like moves being throw invinible that weren't supposed to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And people were trying to argue that this shit is normal. It's not just Balrog's cr.HP when it comes to hit/hurtboxes, either. Balrog's normals having messed up boxes that make him a worse character is an actual thing.
It's not really Balrog's problem. Ryu's leg doesn't have a hurt box yet in that scenario.

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_3/ABD-8HK-6

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And people were trying to argue that this shit is normal. It's not just Balrog's cr.HP when it comes to hit/hurtboxes, either. Balrog's normals having messed up boxes that make him a worse character is an actual thing.

I went air to air against my friend with Ibuki, her HK went right through him, told him fuck this game, and i have seen this a few times already, maybe it's none sync netcode...

Next update meaning the August update or after Capcom Cup?

Definitely after Capcom Cup. You don't take away something like that so late into the CPT season lol.

Although I do think those two should keep theirs, I still don't think they should be able to beat deeper cross ups. The ones that are barely over the opponents head, that's fine. The ones that definitely made it over the opponents head, no. I think Gief should lariat or go air to air with that or deal with it. Same goes for Sim. Either he slides away or go air to air or just have to deal with it.

FluxWaveZ

It's not really Balrog's problem. Ryu's leg doesn't have a hurt box yet in that scenario.

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_3/ABD-8HK-6

This would make sense, because that video is one of the most blatant examples of an AA gone wrong.

Balrog still does have that problem, however, and in a world where he really only has 2 usable AAs, it shouldn't be the case. Meanwhile, Ryu has about 5,000 AAs for some reason and most of them are actually good?

Someone help me play Juri.

My approach with this character is really bad, and it seems like it's hard to do damage with her.

All I have for damage is Jump In > HP > QCF MK > cMP > QCF HK.

This would make sense, because that video is one of the most blatant examples of an AA gone wrong.

Balrog still does have that problem, however, and in a world where he really only has 2 usable AAs, it shouldn't be the case. Meanwhile, Ryu has about 5,000 AAs for some reason and most of them are actually good?

It brings up the hurtbox thing again. Ryu's hurtboxes are way off and this is a great example of that.

This exact scenario would play out the same with Guile's c.HP, Sim's b.MP (maybe), and Cammy's b.MP. It's mostly due to the relation of the hit/hurtbox versus where Ryu's is or will be generating.

Well it's apparent there, too. Not sure why you're doubting the site then.

Ryu's leg is fully stretched out before the hurt box appears.

I'm not doubting the site I just included the video to back up the site in case people read that and tried to refute it. I didn't elaborate enough in my post. My fault. I posted it too hastily.

mbpm1

Someone help me play Juri.

My approach with this character is really bad, and it seems like it's hard to do damage with her.

All I have for damage is Jump In > HP > QCF MK > cMP > QCF HK.

Consistent damage is rough with her. Buffering cr. mp into qcb+lk is my main tool in footsies besides the plethora of kick buttons and the occasional lk pinwheel

Storing lp fireball to make her other charge kicks safe seems to be the name of the game as well.

LakeEarth

I very rarely use Balrog's c.HP as an anti-air, it's a trade magnet. His s.mp is really good, but it is very vertical so it'll miss shallow empty jumps. A small part of the reason why the Zangief fight is so tough.

Also this is what I meant with the deviantart being inaccurate
His crHP has multile hitboxes throughout the animation, there was just no way his hitbox was going to be where it was at that point in the animation where the deviantart puts it.
n2RVSBk.jpg

I don't think I can play Juri.

Everytime I do a forward throw and she says "nay nay", I'm reminded of that shitty "watch me whip, watch me nay nay" song.

Top Bottom