• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Damn it's been forever since I've played you, I think I still used Rashid last we played. Didn't know you switched your CFN. I feel like you've gotten better and I've gotten worse.
lol...I just use this account for trying new stuff...I'm still on OmniCloud. We can get a set in sometime to play against my Ken. I need to learn Ibuki anyway.

GGs fellas.

Peace and lOve

Zackat

Time to play on ps4 I guess. RIP PC if you have a PS4 stick, until they fix whatever they did. And if it is on MadCatz to fix it, that driver is gone forever. It says they are all plugged in and the driver is installed and everything.

Don't update to the new version of Windows 10.

Ryu
Chun
Nash
Ken

Necalli
Mika

These are the only stand out "strong" cast members to me to be honest. I don't feel anyone else has the same level of bullshit to deal with.
Vega, Karin and Cammy are up there, but they just don't have standout tools like any of those six. Karin does have her damage and buttons, though.
People keep mentioning mika but ignore alex/laura...
Who is losing to hobo Alex? He isn't a jack of all trades even with all the specials he has and he certainly isn't a master of anything.
No cammy?
Personally, I think Claw has enough crazy stuff that maybe his full potential hasn't been completely wrung out yet. Plus, let's not forget, one of only 5 characters to get to evo gf lol.
Karin, Cammy and Vega are strong, but they don't really possess gimmicky BS. None of those three has anything equivalent to j.lk, Necalli's V-trigger, rope throw, Ken's fullscreen tatsu/run cancel or instant air legs.

Who is losing to hobo Alex? He isn't a jack of all trades even with all the specials he has and he certainly isn't a master of anything.

Alex came in second in the NA1 online CPT, only losing to a extremely good ryu.
His mixup game is pretty much exactly the same as mika. He doesn't have nadeshiko but he does have a parry and an overhead to compensate, at least you don't have to worry about an overhead with mika.

Producer

Vega, Karin and Cammy are up there, but they just don't have standout tools like any of those six. Karin does have her damage and buttons, though.

Karin, Cammy and Vega are strong, but they don't really possess gimmicky BS. None of those three has anything equivalent to j.lk, Necalli's V-trigger, rope throw, Ken's fullscreen tatsu/run cancel or instant air legs.

I think cammy definately has all the tools that the other top 5 has. She has the normals, the walkspeed, the damage, good AA etc etc. Even if she doesnt have a 'gimmick' she can brute force her way in with ex/VT cannon strike. Only thing is her low health and stun make it so 2-3 wrong decisions and shes out.

Mr. X

No cammy?
Personally, I think Claw has enough crazy stuff that maybe his full potential hasn't been completely wrung out yet. Plus, let's not forget, one of only 5 characters to get to evo gf lol.

No Cammy. She's pretty linear* gameplay wise, not stacked with a bunch of tools to be mindful of or a brick wall of normals. You either have the buttons to keep her on the ground and force her to fight on the ground or she wins the matchup. She has anti fireball tools to keep Ryu and Nash in check so she IMO would be and does great in tourneys.

*Linear I don't want to be thought of as bad here. She has the normals and hitboxes to beat stuff and make her throw/frame trap game really fucking potent even if she has to stay grounded.

Claw suffers under pressure in a game where 3/4 or more cast is rush down but has great normals, great walk and walkback, great throw range. I don't think he's bad, I would put him with Cammy right after those initial 6 stand outs who just have better tools and win more matchups to fight the roster currently.

Cammy, Karin, Vega would the next 3 in that order. These 3 characters have someone in my Top 6 that I think do what they do better with better or additional tools.

IMO.

Alex came in second in the NA1 online CPT, only losing to a extremely good ryu.

His mixup game is pretty much exactly the same as mika. He doesn't have nadeshiko but he does have a parry and an overhead to compensate, at least you don't have to worry about an overhead with mika.
One guy getting to second place isn't going to change the perception of Alex. His overhead doesn't even begin to approach the usefulness of Mika's rope press (which hits way more often than his overhead anyway) or Nadeshiko and while it isn't a parry Mika does possess her armored V-Skill that lets her blow up wakeup jabs and specials. It's a pretty scary thing to have when she already has grabs, tick throws and command throws at her disposal on top of mobility. Alex will continue to be perceived as weak until he gets more top 8 brackets and grand finals under his belt.
I think cammy definately has all the tools that the other top 5 has. She has the normals, the walkspeed, the damage, good AA etc etc. Even if she doesnt have a 'gimmick' she can brute force her way in with ex/VT cannon strike. Only thing is her low health and stun make it so 2-3 wrong decisions and shes out.
I'll admit her DP is great and her walkspeed is very good.

Mika does possess her armored V-Skill that lets her blow up wakeup jabs and specials.

Ehh, I don't think that would ever work on a high level or even on a lower levels after one time.
It's a pretty distinct animation and there's no reason you can't react to it by just blocking the mic or grabbing her out of it.

And alex's overhead actually adds to the mixup, it's simply an option mika doesn't have for wakeup pressure and his parry blows up wakeup jabs and specials too; when either of them is standing right in front of you they are nearly identical in options.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just blew a gasket and played gief for fun. Got a 12 win streak before taking an L to a platinum roo. I don't understand this world anymore.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Been trying different ways to hold the stick and I've found that holding it between the ring and pinky fingers feels most comfortable despite Gootecks showing the "proper" way to hold it is in-between the middle and ring fingers. I imagine using a stick is like shooting a basketball. There's the fundamentally right way to do it but everyone has their own little modification to it.

Zackat

Been trying different ways to hold the stick and I've found that holding it between the ring and pinky fingers feels most comfortable despite Gootecks showing the "proper" way to hold it is in-between the middle and ring fingers. I imagine using a stick is like shooting a basketball. There's the fundamentally right way to do it but everyone has their own little modification to it.

yeah I hold it like gootecks does most of the time. especially when I am on the P1 side I have a much easier time doing circular motions when I hold it like that.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I hold it like gootecks does most of the time. especially when I am on the P1 side I have a much easier time doing circular motions when I hold it like that.

The circular motions feel alright for me but dashing feels a bit awkward no matter how I'm holding it. It's pretty telling of my scrubiness that I'm gonna have to practice dashing back and forth of all things.

Is the point of Ryu's command normals having two hits supposed to be an answer to armored moves?

Is there a reason for the term target combos? Are they specific combos that won't cancel into a special or something??

Is the point of Ryu's command normals having two hits supposed to be an answer to armored moves?

Is there a reason for the term target combos? Are they specific combos that won't cancel into a special or something??

Ryu's command normals have 2 hits because they've always been that way. His axe kick is just his close HK which has been a 2 hit normal since SF2: World Warrior. His solar plexus has been a 2 hit normal since it was introduced in Super Turbo.

As for the term "target combo"? Honestly I'm not sure about the origins of that term. I always just assumed that was a name Capcom came up with for a series of chained normals that also involved medium and heavy attacks.

Palom

Can someone help me understand why I lose so many points in ranked? I am super gold.

I fight a gold person, 1 league below me. I lose. I lose 86 points, they gain 93-100.

I fight an ultra gold person, 1 league above me. I win. I gain 76 points. They lose 65.

How does that make any sense?

Bruh a 165-frame move is not going to blow-up wake-up jabs.
I forgot how bad her V-Skill's recovery is. Yeah, that ain't gonna work too well.
Ehh, I don't think that would ever work on a high level or even on a lower levels after one time.
It's a pretty distinct animation and there's no reason you can't react to it by just blocking the mic or grabbing her out of it.

And alex's overhead actually adds to the mixup, it's simply an option mika doesn't have for wakeup pressure and his parry blows up wakeup jabs and specials too; when either of them is standing right in front of you they are nearly identical in options.
You are right. Just don't forget that it's a skill that Alex receives after taking a beating and one he only gets to keep if you continue to parry which is something a good opponent will take advantage of. Ryu's parry is scary because the "use it or lose it" condition doesn't apply to him. EVO moment 37 can happen at any moment. :()

Top Bottom