• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

He's mad as hell.

I wonder what Daigo we will see next year or at CapCup. He admits he picks up games slower than most do and might start hitting his stride within the next 6 months or so. Although that is assuming he sticks with SFV seriously as he seems to have lots going on outside of training for SFV. Granted this is an online match that doesn't necessarily have any indication of his real world results in a tourney.

I'd like to see him go back to GG as well and see how he fares against top competition after a few months of training.

He's mad as hell.

I wonder what Daigo we will see next year or at CapCup. He admits he picks up games slower than most do and might start hitting his stride within the next 6months or so. Although that is assuming he sticks with SFV seriously as he seems to have lots going on outside of training for SFV.

I'd like to see him go back to GG as well and see how he fares against top competition after a few months of training.
He had already said that he quite enjoys SFV and that his attention was focused more towards Capcom Cup rather than EVO this year.

Though that might not be worth much if he doesn't qualify.

He had already said that he quite enjoys SFV and that his attention was focused more towards Capcom Cup rather than EVO this year.

Though that might not be worth much if he doesn't qualify.

I am sure he will find a way in or get shoehorned in. He still has his name and that draws viewers in. Would be dumb for Capcom to have their biggest tournament without one of the biggest names ever in the FGC.

Vice

Daigo is in the same boat as Snake Eyez. They'll both hit their stride by late year one or early year 2. I can see both of them going to some Latin American tournament to farm points to get into Capcom Cup though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell do you do against Dhalsims that only teleport away from you? It's supposed to be really bad for him, but I can't even find match videos where one does it.

molnizzle

So what's the thing about Gief that makes him so "bad?" Everyone always talks about how he's garbage tier but he's my absolute worst match up by far. If stats worked my win rate against him might be single digits. I feel like he can absorb/counter just about everything and he can keep you away permanently with his crouching jab and air throw.

What's the secret?

Edzi

So what's the thing about Gief that makes him so "bad?" Everyone always talks about how he's garbage tier but he's my absolute worst match up by far. If stats worked my win rate against him might be single digits. I feel like he can absorb/counter just about everything and he can keep you away permanently with his crouching jab and air throw.

What's the secret?

I'm in the same boat as you tbh. It feels like if you don't have a full screen projectile, then a Gief who knows how to parry is unbeatable.

Grakl

But he can switch sides before he reaches the corner so easily. Sometimes with a slide, sometimes with an offensive teleport.
Well if he's sliding you walking and blocking should beat that. If he's teleport to the other side you can react and punish. I mean walking him down won't always work but he's ceding a ton of the stage if he's teleporting back

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I know you can jab him out of ground teleports, but what do you do against teleports high in the air (after his V-Skill float). Those seem to be relatively risk free for him.

Menitta

I've tried to beat Cammy's survival 4 times now. Lose to bison every time. I give up. Dropping Cammy. Especially when I beat Juri's on my first try.

JayEH

Daigo is in the same boat as Snake Eyez. They'll both hit their stride by late year one or early year 2. I can see both of them going to some Latin American tournament to farm points to get into Capcom Cup though.

I don't see snake eyez doing anything this year until he picks a character. He can't decide if he wants to use ryu, Alex, or gief.

Edzi

I've tried to beat Cammy's survival 4 times now. Lose to bison every time. I give up. Dropping Cammy. Especially when I beat Juri's on my first try.

You're dropping a character because you can't beat survival with them? How about you just don't play that godawful mode?

I don't see snake eyez doing anything this year until he picks a character. He can't decide if he wants to use ryu, Alex, or gief.

Snake needs Gief. Until he comes to terms with that, he won't get far.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Snake Eyez actually did pretty well at EVO. He beat Mago and Poongko and only lost to Eita and GO1.

Steroyd

What's the secret?

Stay the fuck away from him.

My advice is FUCK COMBOS, use your longest normals, only do a combo if you know he's not going to block, and mix up your wake ups ranging from back dashing to neutral jumping to just plain wake up jab.

Gief has to work hard to get in, if you see his knee attack whiff jump back, always be wary of his longest SPD range and be vigilant with keepaway when he activates v trigger. Gief may be considered low tier but he does dish put hurt once you get close, but in the same vain he doesn't have much of anything to get in, in the first place other than walking you into a corner.

What. If anything it's the opposite. Daigo starts off pretty strong, people catch up and then Daigo slowly works his way back up. Dude is a monster.

Don't forget that he won the first two EVOs for SF4, made top 8 at almost every single one afterwards and then ended the game's lifespan with a 2nd place at Capcom Cup.

Daigo's stride is a gradual curve upwards. The only time he wasn't great at almost anything he touched was when he quit fighting games to play mahjong. After Justin he has the most EVO titles of anybody in the world.

Shadoken

Nice. I hope they dont do something scummy like adding them only to the Alternate versions of the stages to make more people buy them.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It does kinda even the playing field for older fighting gamers and their deteriorating reflexes. Not defending it, just saying. Diago getting up there.
Wait...how does higher input lag help older players? Wouldn't you actually have to be more on point with your reactions? It's not like it's a big buffer lol

Edzi

It does kinda even the playing field for older fighting gamers and their deteriorating reflexes. Not defending it, just saying. Diago getting up there.

Kinda silly to imply this tbh. Daigo has better reactions than most top players a decade younger than him.

Wait...how does higher input lag help older players? Wouldn't you actually have to be more on point with your reactions? It's not like it's a big buffer lol

^This too. The delay would make it so that you'd have to be even better at reacting at the earliest possible moment.

Shadoken

^This too. The delay would make it so that you'd have to be even better at reacting at the earliest possible moment.

He means to say that because of the 8f lag , Prediction > Reaction. Since many things cant be "reacted to" and rather need to be predicted. It levels the playing field between experienced players and new players with better reactions.

It makes younger players' better reaction skills a little less useful.

The reason everyone's bitching about the lag is because it makes it impossible to react to some moves without reads. In other words, its removed some of twitch factor. Though, thats anecdotal on my part. I'm trying to relay something Logansama was explaining on his 'jump in' podcast.

Kinda silly to imply this tbh. Daigo has better reactions than most top players a decade younger than him.

I suppose my understanding could be off? But I always heard immediately into your 20's your reaction speed declines gradually. Someone wrote a little something about why dota champions were so young in comparison to fgc champs. Having to do more with mind games than straight reactions
I could source it, but not on computer right now.
If I'm saying something I'm silly, I'm sorry?

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212400906]What. If anything it's the opposite. Daigo starts off pretty strong, people catch up and then Daigo slowly works his way back up. Dude is a monster.

Don't forget that he won the first two EVOs for SF4, made top 8 at almost every single one afterwards and then ended the game's lifespan with a 2nd place at Capcom Cup.

Daigo's stride is a gradual curve upwards. The only time he wasn't great at almost anything he touched was when he quit fighting games to play mahjong. After Justin he has the most EVO titles of anybody in the world.[/QUOTE]
Evo 2009 was a full year after the JP release. Most of his bigger moments come from after the game has matured and he's found his groove. He's a beast but, he's not a very quick learner compared to someone like Tokido or Wong. A lot of his strengths come from understanding how most pwople are playing, it's why his reads are so good. As long as the meta doesn't drastically change in 2017 he'll be on a tear.

Shadoken

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212400906]
.[/QUOTE]

Yup. If there was one guy you had to pick from the entire SF4 era. It is Daigo. I know Kazunoko wont the final event , and there was that one time Infiltration was unbeatable. But Daigo has had such a consistent performance throughout the entire series.

"Evo 2009 was a full year after the JP release. Most of his bigger moments come from after the game has matured and he's found his groove. He's a beast but, he's not a very quick learner compared to someone like Tokido or Wong. A lot of his strengths come from understanding how most pwople are playing, it's why his reads are so good. As long as the meta doesn't drastically change in 2017 he'll be on a tear."

You say this like Daigo wasn't the number 1 ranked arcade player from the start of SF4 arcade.

Vice

"Evo 2009 was a full year after the JP release. Most of his bigger moments come from after the game has matured and he's found his groove. He's a beast but, he's not a very quick learner compared to someone like Tokido or Wong. A lot of his strengths come from understanding how most pwople are playing, it's why his reads are so good. As long as the meta doesn't drastically change in 2017 he'll be on a tear."

You say this like Daigo wasn't the number 1 ranked arcade player from the start of SF4 arcade.
I see rankings as mostly grinding at a certain point. Being ranked #1 is good but, that isn't the best show of tournament results. He's a good player but, takes time to get used to a new game compared to other players who are faster at finding exploits unique/favored by the game who are of similar skill level to him.

He's mad as hell.

I wonder what Daigo we will see next year or at CapCup. He admits he picks up games slower than most do and might start hitting his stride within the next 6 months or so. Although that is assuming he sticks with SFV seriously as he seems to have lots going on outside of training for SFV. Granted this is an online match that doesn't necessarily have any indication of his real world results in a tourney.

I wouldn't really worry about Daigo making Capcom Cup. He's already proven to be top 20 in the world, but is lacking in points because he's only been in stacked tournaments. All he has to do is go farm points in other regions if he was desperate.

I would be more worried for Bonchan, Gamerbee, and Snake Eyez. They have entered many tournaments and don't have that many impressive performances. So even if they tried to farm points, it would be more difficult for them. Having said this, they could hit a spike in performance/understanding of the game just like Fuudo, Momochi, and others had.

mbpm1

What's the secret?

Make him come to you. That's it.

The Japanese ranking event is pretty weird. Alright so there are 16 spots that you have to qualify for.

4 winners of online qualifiers - Youshikibi, VX, Iori, Kinachi
Winner and runner up to offline qualifier - Nemo and Yukadon

2nd winner and runner up to another offline qualifier - Yet to be decided

8 players that qualify through the day of the tournament :
Daigo
Nuki
Itazan
GO1
Dogura
Shiro
Eita
Inco
Kazunoko
Saulabis
Kuroda
Xian
+More

Kuroda is playing?

Evo 2009 was a full year after the JP release. Most of his bigger moments come from after the game has matured and he's found his groove. He's a beast but, he's not a very quick learner compared to someone like Tokido or Wong. A lot of his strengths come from understanding how most pwople are playing, it's why his reads are so good. As long as the meta doesn't drastically change in 2017 he'll be on a tear.

Tokido and Wong are literally the #1 and #2 best overall fighting game players in the world.

As hilarious and awkward as this whole thing was, it was nice to see Gootecks and Justin Wong immediately started teaching the kid some basics and good practice techniques, instead of taking an easy opportunity to completely humiliate him on stream. He was doing a good enough job of that to himself, and they just tried to help him get better at Street Fighter. Classy of them.

The whole thing was part of a "bootcamp" though, it was like 1.5 hours of them teaching ppl things, pretty cool watch actually.

Top Bottom