• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

mbpm1

It doesn't knockdown, correct?

Nope, but on hit it leads to a standing reset situation at +2 for you. In that pause few people are yet able to see a throw coming. And for those that do shimmy exists.

So for now I use it like a crappy Spinning mixer.

Keeps people who like to space themselves at certain distances on their toes since just outside sweep range may no longer be such a great spot for whiff punishment/reaction when I can suddenly put a hitbox right in that area.

It also provides an option against Nashes that like to mixup dash, bazooka knee, sobat and heavy normals at predictable timings

And I guess with the pinwheel she potentially becomes Nashlike. People watching for the pinwheel can't react to a dash/walk up as well and vice versa.

Menitta

Nope, but on hit it leads to a standing reset situation at +2 for you. In that pause few people are yet able to see a throw coming. And for those that do shimmy exists.

Keeps people who like to space themselves at certain distances on their toes since just outside sweep range may no longer be such a great spot for whiff punishment/reaction when I can suddenly put a hitbox right in that area.

It also provides an option against Nashes that like to mixup dash, bazooka knee, sobat and heavy normals at predictable timings

Nice! Thank you very much.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

And I guess with the pinwheel she potentially becomes Nashlike. People watching for the pinwheel can't react to a dash/walk up as well and vice versa.

She has a fun mixup if you have mk charge stored. Any time you land a pinwheel that leaves you in throw range, once they start teching you can go for a cr mp that will combo into stored mk furahenkyaku (sp?) back to mp xx light pinwheel for the same situation.

mbpm1

Nice! Thank you very much.

Np!

Keep in mind that it is -8 if blocked crouching BUT if you put it so that it hits later from a distance the animation ends quickly enough that people have more trouble knowing when/if to hit a button.

If they're standing pinwheel is only -3 so use as you like.

Then noticing their responses can lead to opportunities for bigger things. If they sit down you have greater opportunity for overheads/pressure/throws. If they walk away and you have meter you can take a bet on sweep > vtrigger cancel or cr. mk > ex kicks.

Overall...Juri is pretty fun and I'm enjoying the depth of options you can go to in neutral. She's definitely revived the fun in that aspect for me.

She has a fun mixup if you have mk charge stored. Any time you land a pinwheel that leaves you in throw range, once they start teching you can go for a cr mp that will combo into stored mk furahenkyaku (sp?) back to mp xx light pinwheel for the same situation.

Mk charge hits on counterhit cr mp? This is great stuff, opens up some real possibilities. Thanks!

I wouldn't really worry about Daigo making Capcom Cup. He's already proven to be top 20 in the world, but is lacking in points because he's only been in stacked tournaments. All he has to do is go farm points in other regions if he was desperate.

He is going to Oz Hadou in Australia. I hope Tokido and Haitani take a break during that one lol. But if they do and he can't seem to put together that break through performance in a stacked event I hope he does go to a LA, NA, or European event to get those points and a spot at their regional finals.

BTW I saw your little squabble with that Smash genius guy on Twitter lol. I noticed it because of a retweet from David and then saw how you two went on for hours. I'm a SF guy as well but really I did think your argument and points were fair and level headed. He seemed very biased for Smash and didn't seem to accept any of your points and would find ways to counter it even if they didn't really make sense.

mbpm1

He is going to Oz Hadou in Australia. I hope Tokido and Haitani take a break during that one lol. But if they do and he can't seem to put together that break through performance in a stacked event I hope he does go to a LA, NA, or European event to get those points and a spot at their regional finals.

I heard he's going to the rest of the CPT events this year. I'm sure he will make it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Mk charge hits on counterhit cr mp? This is great stuff, opens up some real possibilities. Thanks!

Yeah, I think it might be her highest utility ch. Thankfully her throw range/damage is good so you can at least force some of these situations in that range.

Ketch

Question about the juri lk pinwheel in neutral. Is this something I can try to use as a beginner? I guess you would just use it like a normal in footsies? So I just need to learn the max range like I have with st.hk and st.hp and just use it from a safe distance?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine who has been playing for a few weeks already got to ~ 1500 LP. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but neither of us really got into any fighting games till SFV so it's pretty daunting knowing that I have some serious catching up to do. I do feel a bit overwhelmed right now but we played ~ 20 matches swapping characters and I actually took a couple of games mashing it out with R. Mika and Cammy. Mika caught me off guard with how much I enjoyed her but Cammy's Eng VA is gonna force me to main her. Still gonna stay with Ryu until I feel comfortable in my 101's of course.

Outside of the huge daunting barrier that is execution I know I really need to put together a super basic gameplan so I'm not caught randomly throwing out attacks. I've spent about 45 minutes on the first "workout" in Gief's gym playing around with the range on normal/unique/crouching/jumping attacks but I'm at a loss on the practicality part.

Having fun regardless and I'm looking forward to seeing some real development over the next month or so.

BTW I saw your little squabble with that Smash genius guy on Twitter lol. I noticed it because of a retweet from David and then saw how you two went on for hours. I'm a SF guy as well but really I did think your argument and points were fair and level headed. He seemed very biased for Smash and didn't seem to accept any of your points and would find ways to counter it even if they didn't really make sense.

lol

I was so bored, so I entertained him and eventually got bored of him too.

mbpm1

Question about the juri lk pinwheel in neutral. Is this something I can try to use as a beginner? I guess you would just use it like a normal in footsies? So I just need to learn the max range like I have with st.hk and st.hp and just use it from a safe distance?

p much how I use it. I'm pretty much never actually trying to hit them standing/sitting still though, I want to hit their buttons by doing it at a surprising time. It's 7 frames, so it's faster than many buttons an opponent might use at far range if you time it right.

molnizzle

Can someone explain what a "meaty" is to me like I'm five? I've watched like 7 videos that supposedly explain it but none of them actually did. I mean like in practical terms as in "do this and that's how it works."

Ketch

Can someone explain what a "meaty" is to me like I'm five? I've watched like 7 videos that supposedly explain it but none of them actually did. I mean like in practical terms as in "do this and that's how it works."

A meaty is an attack that You start above your downed opponent timed so that they stand up into it as they wake up.

If you time it right and they try to wake up jab or throw they'll get countered.

Doesn't work against invincible reversals tho like mp dp or ex dp.

You have to time it differently depending if they normal rise, quick rise or back rise and some combos incorporate this idea. Like a certain combo might rely on your opponent to back rise in order for the whole thing to hit.

mbpm1

molvetica
I am actually a five year old.
(Today, 10:44 PM)

lol

A meaty is when you hit your opponent just as they're getting up. The idea is that as they're getting up there's a transitional period between "on the ground, can't do anything" to "back in the fight"

So if you're fighting someone with a 3 frame normal, if they got up and immediately did the normal, they would have 3 frames before that normal became active. Hitting them after they get up from ground and are hittable but before the 3 frame normal became active would be a meaty. Same with throws, or any move, meaty is a designation.

Zackat

so when your opponent wakes up from getting knocked down, you hit him the instant (or frame) he gets up. That's what I have surmised at least.

You know when you get that meaty, everything just feels right.

How you do them depends on the character. Go look around on Shoryuken.com forums, there are plenty of meaty/okizeme guides.

molnizzle

hm, yeah I guess I suck at that. Always lose my pressure after a knockdown. I generally neutral jump to either overhead or low MK into combo but I get knocked out of the air a lot. Does a meaty have to be standing?

Ketch

hm, yeah I guess I suck at that. Always lose my pressure after a knockdown. I generally neutral jump to either overhead or low MK into combo but I get knocked out of the air a lot. Does a meaty have to be standing?

No. Anything can be meaty if it's timed right.

A meaty attack is one where you time it so that the opponent will land in the attack's active frames as soon as they've regained control of their character, usually after a knockdown, while the opponent is waking up, or frame trapping them with a normal that has a lot of frame advantage on block.

They're used as a way to trap the opponent in a hitbox by making sure your startup frames occur when they don't have control of their character due to the knockdown or frame trap.

Meaties can be countered by moves with invincible startup, like Dragon Punches, so watch out for that.

Also, timing a meaty later means that you'll hit the opponent during later active frames, giving you more frame advantage on either hit or block.

A good way to practice getting the hang of meaties is to knock down the training dummy then try to hit a jump in as late on their wakeup and as low to the ground as possible. Setting the dummy's wake up action to a non-invincible startup anti-air like Guile's LK flash kick will make it easy to confirm if the meaty was successful.

If you hit Guile, you hit the meaty, if you eat the LK flash kick, the attack wasn't meaty enough.

Zackat

you can time a meaty by whiffing attacks before they wake up as well. or a dash then an attack, all sorts of things. Those are meaty setups that you can go look up.

Producer

Practice it in training. Go to wakeup options, have the dummy wakeup with a jab (preferably 3f) and practice. After you have it down then you can have the dummy quick and/or back tech and see what you can get out of it.

molnizzle

A good way to practice getting the hang of meaties is to knock down the training dummy then try to hit a jump in as late on their wakeup and as low to the ground as possible. Setting the dummy's wake up action to a non-invincible startup anti-air like Guile's LK flash kick will make it easy to confirm if the meaty was successful.

If you hit Guile, you hit the meaty, if you eat the LK flash kick, the attack wasn't meaty enough.

Awesome, thanks. Gonna work on this.

I was getting rocked on my last game by Juri DP on wake up. I guess for DP characters I just need to block or throw then?

Ketch

I was getting rocked on my last game by Juri DP on wake up. I guess for DP characters I just need to block or throw then?

You gotta block. Throw attempt will get hit by the do.

But you block the dp then get a free bnb or crush counter combo.

You can stuff any of Juri's DPs with a meaty except the EX, because it behaves similarly to the Flash Kick in that the meterless versions don't have invincibility until after startup (Juri's LK DP has zero invincibility frames).

So go nuts with the meaties if Juri doesn't have meter. If she does, the safest option is to keep a little bit of distance and block on her wakeup, then punish the whiffed EX DP with a crush counter combo, but if she catches on that you're baiting them, you can condition her to throw out more wakeup DPs by hitting her with meaties/throws.

molnizzle

Damn. Can't believe I've been flapping in the wind without this knowledge for so long. Always wondered why the same wake up techniques that other Kens rock me with never work when I try them. My timing was all jacked up.

Damn. Can't believe I've been flapping in the wind without this knowledge for so long. Always wondered why the same wake up techniques that other Kens rock me with never work when I try them. My timing was all jacked up.

Some of this stuff gets pretty abstract. For all the crap SFV gets for being light on features, its training mode is one of if not the very best I've used for practicing the more abstract parts of fighting games.

Now if it only saved your settings...

I been working on my CC punish and keeping it simple I found 2 variations that uses all my resources but it does a pretty decent chunk of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4SqevmR9MU

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1cPgJ70ClQ

Neither of these are worth it, after the CC you can go into flip kick for free, and flip always combos into super, you don't need vtrigger.
Only use the vtrigger if you want to go into an extended combo.

Edit:
Try doing something like this if you want to use vtrigger.
The second sequence can be ended in various ways, even in super if you want, though it's not really worth it.

JayEH

Some of this stuff gets pretty abstract. For all the crap SFV gets for being light on features, its training mode is one of if not the very best I've used for practicing the more abstract parts of fighting games.

This is one of the many little things capcom could fix that would greatly improve the game...others being p2 being able to go back to character select and fixing Ken's clipping on the p2 side. I actually really like Ken's design in the game but I have to use the story costume since I really hate seeing that banana hair clip.

The fact I have to keep turning off stun... So annoying.
I agree the features are impressive, but the ui of say, persona arena was so much more intuitive and user friendly. Also, it saved settings lol.
I'd put that above SFV, but not much else.

The fact I have to keep turning off stun... So annoying.
I agree the features are impressive, but the ui of say, persona arena was so much more intuitive and user friendly. Also, it saved settings lol.
I'd put that above SFV, but not much else.

I do like the option to do custom guard and wake up options on the dummy in training mode. Tangential point but KOF14 training mode kind of pisses me off in the demo because the 1 attack guard option lasts for too long, when I attack the dummy and end the combo, it feels like it will guard even like 2 seconds later after the combo has ended, which annoys the crap out of me because SF5 1 attack guard option feels like it works and ends faster.

Top Bottom