• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

FluxWaveZ

I'm just waiting for Urien at this point.

And then I can finally feel myself on some victories.

What if Urien sucks, like an SFV DLC character should.

I like how time freezes when a V-Trigger activates. There should at least one character who goes "The World!" when it happens.

I'm still meeting a bunch of RQ online. Most recent one was named WarKing who played a Guile. I've had about 4 people RQ on me today alone.

Whales

Banned
Ggs. You definitely got more patient with the jumps as the games went on.

still jumped waaay too much ;-;. Im slowly learning to not jump... but then all it takes is one match where my opponent never punishes my jump ins for me to get the habit going on

great guile by the way

What if Urien sucks, like an SFV DLC character should.

I like how time freezes when a V-Trigger activates. There should at least one character who goes "The World!" when it happens.

Nah son, I'm willing to put in the work and deal with a character that's weaker. Fuck it.

I made it work with R. Soul in Jojo, I'm sure it'll be less of a challenge here.

FluxWaveZ

for real tho

why play a character that isn't Ryu? He has no weakness. lol

I'm learning more and more that it's not really about the character, but how a player inherently plays them. Everyone's different, and some will naturally gravitate towards others. If I played Ryu, for example, I'm fairly sure I could never reach the heights I could otherwise by playing a different character, because I just don't fit well with him.

Maligna

Banned
Man... I really had hoped is be able to use Juri but I just plain suck at combos. My mind literally can't tell my fingers what to do more than one move ahead at a time. I've been trying for years but in clutch situations I always freeze. Hell half the time I freeze when the opponent is stunned and I have a free combo opportunity. My muscle memory just plain doesn't exist and I can't seem to build one no matter how long I spend in training mode.

Anyone have another character they could recommend? I really want to play this game... In SFV I played a lot of T.Hawk because you didn't need to do combos. But I have always hated Zangeif so he's out. Please don't suggest him.

mitchlol

Is there a universal sign for "dude your lagging I'm not playing this" Usually if someone is spiking and I'm getting annoyed I just put down the controller and let the match end. Part of me wonders if they think I'm just salty at losing the first round. I wish there was some sort of unified thing that tells the person I haven't given up I just refuse to play underwater with you.

molnizzle

Is there a universal sign for "dude your lagging I'm not playing this" Usually if someone is spiking and I'm getting annoyed I just put down the controller and let the match end. Part of me wonders if they think I'm just salty at losing the first round. I wish there was some sort of unified thing that tells the person I haven't given up I just refuse to play underwater with you.

I just quit mid match. Sorry, people with third world Internet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man... I really had hoped is be able to use Juri but I just plain suck at combos. My mind literally can't tell my fingers what to do more than one move ahead at a time. I've been trying for years but in clutch situations I always freeze. Hell half the time I freeze when the opponent is stunned and I have a free combo opportunity. My muscle memory just plain doesn't exist and I can't seem to build one no matter how long I spend in training mode.

Anyone have another character they could recommend? I really want to play this game... In SFV I played a lot of T.Hawk because you didn't need to do combos. But I have always hated Zangeif so he's out. Please don't suggest him.

If you like Juri, keep at it. I'm serious. I was like you (and I'm still like you, since my stick play needs to improve!), but it just takes practice. Smart practice, mind you. Throw out the moves and see what doesn't come out natural to you. Start the combo chain and see where you falter, and then keep working on it.

If you are freezing during a match, make it a point to use that combo, even if you don't win. Like, your goal should be to get out whatever combo you feel you can't do under duress.

It also helps to watch people do them. I found myself doing better when I just slow the fuck down and don't mash it out. And above all, don't stress. Have fun with it. I'll practice a combo a few times, and if I can't get it, I'll either do something else for a while or move to a different one. Eventually, I land it, because I'm not racking my brain or punishing myself mentally.

JayEH

birdie

Ketch

If you like Juri, keep at it. I'm serious. I was like you (and I'm still like you, since my stick play needs to improve!), but it just takes practice. Smart practice, mind you. Throw out the moves and see what doesn't come out natural to you. Start the combo chain and see where you falter, and then keep working on it.

If you are freezing during a match, make it a point to use that combo, even if you don't win. Like, your goal should be to get out whatever combo you feel you can't do under duress.

This is good advice. I spent a lot of games telling myself that all I'm going to do is one specific combo, and it's helped my execution during a real match a lot. Often if your able to pull off the combo at least twice you have a decent chance of winning anyways.

Also, you don't really need to do a bunch of combos to be effective. start with just one combo in your Arsenal. Juri I feel is actually pretty decent for a beginner because she has some easy combos.

Cr.mk into qcf+hk into qcf+mk into qcf+lk. Is super basic, easy and safe and has a ton of corner carry.

The only other combo I use is st.hp xx qcf+mk xx cr.mp xx qcb+lk, which is pretty easy and serves multiple purposes as a crush counter or good combo into super.

Both of those can be used after a jump in or as punishes.

mbpm1

In SF4 it was always "back off to the other side of the screen and spam jabs" to indicate lag.

It seems to have carried over here, but there's no "fuck this lag I'm out" one I guess.

for real tho

his weakness is that he's become boring to me I guess

SephLuis

GGs Guile. Thanks for the matches, I learned a lot about Guile MU and self-control lol

Too bad our connection wasn't the smoothest, it would be great if I could play with you without the lag =(

Some matches were great, other time it was teleporting a bit.

Anyway, hope we can play again another day.

SephLuis

I was the same until I realized I wa lacking combat experience, not combo training.

First I started with the basic combo training with Juri BnBs, but when a game came my mind was freezing and I couldn't pull it out.

So I put into the training mode vs Ryu CPU level 8 and with V-Skill and CA starting at maximum. That CPU Ryu was punishing a few errors I made and was good enough to get me better used to the character. I eventually started using all her combos into this CPU and then I can also use them online.

Keep at it. Practice combos and then practice on those CPU fights. Juri is complicated to play properly, she has a lot of problemas, but damn if she's isn't fun to use.

Ggs, and really awesome Juri. It's a pretty interesting matchup.

Be more careful with her hazanshu (her arc kick that passes through fireballs). That can combo into the CA for some great damage.

Next time I am going to mix between Juri and Chun. Gotta know how to play against Guile with both.

Be more careful with her hazanshu (her arc kick that passes through fireballs). That can combo into the CA for some great damage.

Yeah. That seems like her best tool against Guile. I was trying to figure out the safe distance from her to let booms rip, but I didn't quite get it down.

I was also very hesitant to punish blocked ones with flash kicks due to the connection, but that would definitely be a factor in the matchup.

All in all, it seems very 5-5 to me. Might be too early to really tell, but it seems like they both have the tools to shut each other down.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Won my first match of Street Fighter online! Was against a Ken in casuals and super close. We were both obviously very bad but damn it feels good. I practiced anti-airing with Ryu's st HK and cr HP for about 20 minutes today and it paid off because this guy jumped like mad. Once he realized he couldn't jump in freely anymore he just started spamming specials trying to get to me but I managed to punish him with sweeps and throws.

I kinda pride myself on keeping my cool at all times but when I finally saw that first victory screen I flipped out. I had no idea what kind of adrenaline rush I was building up but I think I scared my roommate who was trying to raid in WoW. Maybe this is just new for me but I can't remember the last time I reacted like that while playing a video game. Even rampages in Dota 2 or pentakills in LoL never got to me like this.

So glad I decided to brave the online. I definitely need to keep a better ratio of game time to practice time. Training mode was starting to wear on me but now I can move forward feeling a bit more enthused about trying to become a competent Street Fighter player.

SephLuis

Yeah. That seems like her best tool against Guile. I was trying to figure out the safe distance from her to let booms rip, but I didn't quite get it down.

I was also very hesitant to punish blocked ones with flash kicks due to the connection, but that would definitely be a factor in the matchup.

All in all, it seems very 5-5 to me. Might be too early to really tell, but it seems like they both have the tools to shut each other down.

I guess the normal ones are punishable. Maybe you could make a flash kick counter on reaction too.

I am also unsure about Guile's jump. I managed to AA sometimes, but others I was losing or trading. Didn't quite get the correct range for it yet and I'm not used to make MK Pinwheel as a reliable anti air yet.

Won my first match of Street Fighter online! Was against a Ken in casuals and super close. We were both obviously very bad but damn it feels good. I practiced anti-airing with Ryu's st HK and cr HP for about 20 minutes today and it paid off because this guy jumped like mad. Once he realized he couldn't jump in freely anymore he just started spamming specials trying to get to me but I managed to punish him with sweeps and throws.

I kinda pride myself on keeping my cool at all times but when I finally saw that first victory screen I flipped out. I had no idea what kind of adrenaline rush I was building up but I think I scared my roommate who was trying to build WoW. Maybe this is just new for me but I can't remember the last time I reacted like that while playing a video game. Even rampages in Dota 2 or pentakills in LoL never got to me like this.

So glad I decided to brave the online. I definitely need to keep a better ratio of game time to practice time. Training mode was starting to wear on me but now I can move forward feeling a bit more enthused about trying to become a competent Street Fighter player.

Welcome to an extremely frustrating and extremely gratifying side of fighting games.

Everyone is practicing and it's frustrating to lose sometimes, but when those great wins come, it's the best thing.

I kinda pride myself on keeping my cool at all times but when I finally saw that first victory screen I flipped out. I had no idea what kind of adrenaline rush I was building up but I think I scared my roommate who was trying to raid in WoW. Maybe this is just new for me but I can't remember the last time I reacted like that while playing a video game. Even rampages in Dota 2 or pentakills in LoL never got to me like this.

You've experienced the real pvp experience, no hiding behind teams, just you and someone else.
Yes, it can become very exciting!

mitchlol

for real tho

I get heaps of enjoyment out of Alex, Gief and Balrog. I know they aren't top tier but at Ultra Silver/Gold I'm not using a character to its full potential anyway so I'd rather play a character that is fun. Of course winning can be fun to ;) but winning on a bad match up feels extra nice.

Wrong character. You're thinking of Birdie or Necalli.

Guile's AAs are actually poop in this game compared to how much of a brick wall he should be ideally.

Guile needs exactly two changes for his AA game to be too good. 2 frames less recovery on booms (so it's always consistent regardless of V-Trigger) and 1 frame less startup on c.HP. I don't expect he'll ever get either of these, though. Maybe the c.HP buff if I'm lucky. :p

His Flash Kick I think is actually better AA than it was in SF4 and feels closer to the ST version, since it seems to trade less and autocorrects better. Getting a free setup after hitting one is nice too.

Baiting with V-Skill is a huge deal for his AA game, too, and I suspect a lot of his nerfs compared to SF4 are because of that.

c.HP is really the only problem. If it's gonna be that slow, it should at least have a smaller hurtbox.

AEREC

Guile...if you like the keep away game.

Congrats!

Part of me wants the return of annoying characters like Viper or Fuerte so they can get SFV'd. Meaning they'll be more honest and won't get to annoy you as badly as they did in SF4. If Viper still has air burn kick, it'll probably be -2 at best and punishable if done higher. If she can seismo cancel she won't have a DP, she probably won't even have a anti air special like Nash or Laura. Fuerte's Q bomb will probably not be -17 on block, but more like -8 with very little no push back.

Let the guys who use to play those characters come back to them and realize they don't get safe 50/50 pressure and will actually have to block on wake up.

Tbh after SFV, I miss the zaniness of those characters.

I do miss watching it, I just don't miss having to fight against it. This is going to be SFV for the next 5-6 years whether people like it or not. Nobody gets to go nuts and be safe on block on everything.

Every character is annoying now....

It's no where near as bad as it was in SF4. I loved that game but every character annoyed the fuck out of me. My online adventures were some of the most rage inducing moments I've ever had in my life. Grinding online in SFV is pretty stress free for the most part. When I do get upset, it's mainly about how I screwed up and not about how annoying my opponents characters are.

The Balrog Zangief matchup is so ass....

It's no where near as bad as it was in SF4. I loved that game but every character annoyed the fuck out of me. My online adventures were some of the most rage inducing moments I've ever had in my life. Grinding online in SFV is pretty stress free for the most part. When I do get upset, it's mainly about how I screwed up and not about how annoying my opponents characters are.

What exactly annoyed you about SF4? I hear this sentiment a lot and now that SFV has been out for awhile I think we can be a bit more unbiased. People can hate on fadc, 1 frame links and shotos all they want but I'd take them over 8 frame lag, anti air jab, 50/50s and grab loops all day. People shat on vortex characters being annoying but the way the neutral game plays now every character feels like a vortex. Also quality of life stuff like being able to jump in a ranked match in <30 secs. Now that the hype has died down and the haters have stopped dog piling on the game I think we can discuss the actual short comings of the gameplay.

Edzi

Avoiding normal grabs by jumping seems to be a horrible idea in this game. The opponent recovers in time to anti air you almost every single time, which doesn't really feel right.

Zackat

Congrats! Addicting is what it is. Have fun learning :)

Ketch

Are there no vods available from the first capcom pro tour online thing? I tried twitch, but it's for subscribers only, which kind of sucks honestly

What exactly annoyed you about SF4?

Lots and lots of things, and FADC and 1f links aren't even close to the top. Here is a quick summary putting a lot of stuff together in 3 sections.

-safe vortex's like Ibuki or Viper(until USF4 at least). They don't put themselves at risk to 50/50 you like Mika.
-Tons of and tons of safe on block specials(some with tons of push back) that have a lot of range like hazanshu, blanka ball, sumo headbutt, scissor kick, etc.
-characters that had many wake up options in a addition to back dash(Bison, Viper, Akuma, Fuerte, etc.)

I could think of more but I think you get the idea. SFV doesn't let player go ham or throw out moves randomly safely. I use to play Seth and Yun and would just go crazy a lot because their move set allowed me to.

8f of lag, jab anti air, or corner grab loops don't really bother me much(ok, maybe jab anti air a bit). At least no where near as badly as the shit I had to put up with in USF4 like Fuerte running back and forth and when you had a knockdown you had to guess between EX Q Bomb, EX run, or EX legs. And if he did EX legs and you messed up the punish you're getting Ultra'd if he had that. I still love the game and think it's a more entertaining game to watch than SFV. But it pissed me off way more than SFV ever has.

Top Bottom