• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

To be fair, Chun and Guile are pretty pointless as well. Chun is most egregious, because she should've been the one to take Bison down. Ryu really has no personal reason to fight Bison, other than to help the friends who DO have a personal reason to fight Bison.

Guile was useful. If he wasn't there to fly the helicopter, the only choice would have been for Juri to take all of them across the ocean on her motorcycle.

I see no issue with this

...Yeah, I guess maybe it would have been better if Guile wasn't there. And if Juri needed to make multiple trips, they could have just put in another Karin fight or two.

It could have also given us the awesome moment where Karin single-handedly defeats a shark to prevent it from attacking the World Warriors on Juri's motorcycle.

I really don't want to talk about the story. It was pretty bad. I would have changed quite a few things, honestly. The Nash sacrifice would be at the top of the list.

Necalli's nonsense backstory, ease of use, moveset of basically everything, bizarre speech impediment, and super saiyan god mode V-Trigger always made him kinda seem to me like he was created by the 8-year-old son of someone high up at Capcom and forced to be in the game.

Out of spite for this, he was made to first appear in the cinematic story mode as a sheep and is useless afterwards.
When you put it like that he sounds like an even worse character than Ingrid lmao. He has a nice moveset, but I never understood what there is to like about the character otherwise.
To be fair, Chun and Guile are pretty pointless as well. Chun is most egregious, because she should've been the one to take Bison down. Ryu really has no personal reason to fight Bison, other than to help the friends who DO have a personal reason to fight Bison.
This is why I wish Capcom could have completed what they set out to do in SF3 with a new generation taking over. Modern Capcom will never really let us know what made Alex special to Gill and I really don't ever see the Illuminati's true intentions coming to fruition in SFV. Capcom will ride that SF2 Shadowloo/Ryu story thread until the last SF game they ever make. They're too risk averse to do otherwise. If anyone wants to challenge that notion all I have to do is point to the story mode covering the same story they began like twenty years ago in the nineties. Capcom needs to do something new real bad.
I don't get why Alex had to be in the story at all, lol. Save it for the SF3 retcon.
To have one grappler in the game that doesn't look like a buffoon? Even Gief at his strongest sounds like drunk most of the time. I'll admit he made me laugh and Laura did make me feel something Sean for the first time. That kid's sister is a Yeti. I can't hate someone living under those circumstances.

...Yeah, I guess maybe it would have been better if Guile wasn't there. And if Juri needed to make multiple trips, they could have just put in another Karin fight or two.

It could have also given us the awesome moment where Karin single-handedly defeats a shark to prevent it from attacking the World Warriors on Juri's motorcycle.

Can the shark be this shark?

3JNimlt.png

I would play this story mode so hard.

mbpm1

She'll need to AA the shark since it jumps out of the water to attack them 5 times. A real challenge!

Also it's a Shadowloo shark, and uses Psycho Crusher while attacking

Geeez, glad I wasn't here for the necalli hate train. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.
It's that win screen got ya'll salty in't it?

Geeez, glad I wasn't here for the necalli hate train. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.
It's that win screen got ya'll salty in't it?
It wasn't a hate train for the way the character plays so to speak. It was his participation, or lack of it, in the story mode.

And I've always found Necalli to be a easy character to deal with.

vsMIC

can someone please shortly explain why laura is considered lower tier? (ref: eventhubs tierlist)

she looks ok to me, but i am certainly only a casual...

can someone please shortly explain why laura is considered lower tier? (ref: eventhubs tierlist)

I was gonna write out this joke comparing eventhubs tierlists to various things but I'll just say this:

That tierlist is shit, don't read too much into it. Laura is a perfectly good character. maybe not top tier, but she's certainly among the stronger characters.

It wasn't a hate train for the way the character plays so to speak. It was his participation, or lack of it, in the story mode.

I feel like he was going to originally be Akuma, cause he's somewhat doing the same thing, fucking with ryu and tempting him to do the dark hado or whatever.
But, for whatever reason, they created him last minute and added the weird grim reaper shit with nash to fill it out.
Also, maybe they were somewhat trying to repurpose some of wolverine's shit since that series got the axe.
Super duper speculation... Trying to make their own Kotal Khan? To his credit, necalli didn't job nearly as much.

I feel like he was going to originally be Akuma, cause he's somewhat doing the same thing, fucking with ryu and tempting him to do the dark hado or whatever.
But, for whatever reason, they created him last minute and added the weird grim reaper shit with nash to fill it out.
Also, maybe they were somewhat trying to repurpose some of wolverine's shit since that series got the axe.
Super duper speculation... Trying to make their own Kotal Khan? To his credit, necalli didn't job nearly as much.

Not the same as Akuma though. Necalli don't give a shit about hados and stuff, he just wants to devour powerful souls.

And he was revealed at EVO 2015, wasn't he? Not exactly a last minute character by any means.

And the biggest jobber was definitely Chun-Li.

vsMIC

I was gonna write out this joke comparing eventhubs tierlists to various things but I'll just say this:

That tierlist is shit, don't read too much into it. Laura is a perfectly good character. maybe not top tier, but she's certainly among the stronger characters.

ok, thx, guessed it already...

Not the same as Akuma though. Necalli don't give a shit about hados and stuff, he just wants to devour powerful souls.

And he was revealed at EVO 2015, wasn't he? Not exactly a last minute character by any means.

And the biggest jobber was definitely Chun-Li.

He doesn't care, but his point in the story is still mostly ryu power up angst.
Also, nobody jobs harder than mk secondary badguys. Nobody. The jobberest doll had more cool moments in sfv than Reptile, Baracka and Mileena combined in the two MK stories.

And I've always found Necalli to be a easy character to deal with.

Birdie-Necalli is even is why. Maybe even slightly in Birdie's favour.

After chucking a significant amount of hours at online in SFV over the past week to prep for VSF:

1. I really want Urien to come out so I can switch to a top tier. Birdie is prey to the risk-loving players you get in upper Gold/Plat rank.

2. If they don't fix the 8f latency I'm done with this game after CPT is over.

I want to play a SF game where footsies exist. :(

Birdie-Necalli is even is why. Maybe even slightly in Birdie's favour.
Even with FANG, I haven't found him to be too difficult a character to deal with tbh. Granted, it took a bit of matchup learning but now I can play it fairly well.

Perhaps I just haven't been playing any very good Necallis though.

Even with FANG, I haven't found him to be too difficult a character to deal with tbh. Granted, it took a bit of matchup learning but now I can play it fairly well.

Perhaps I just haven't been playing any very good Necallis though.

Necalli is scary in two situations:

1. When he is piloted by someone who cannot be bullied out of taking risks (Phenom)
2. If he is playing an exceptionally patient counter-poking game.

Most online Necalli players fall into category 3:

3. Aggressive risk takers.

Necallis that jump at Birdie, that dash backwards, forwards, backwards, ground pound. That wake up DP half way through the round.

The key to being consistent online is taking less risks than your opponent. That allows you to concentrate on the matchup and play academically - which is ultimately more useful in offline play.

The eventhubs tier list has Ken at 11. I wouldn't use it even if it were the only tier list available. Anyway, Laura doesn't have a beast AA jab, a fantastic V-Reversal or good medium range buttons to fall back on. You have to play her real clean and her setups can all be wrecked by invul dragon punches which makes it hard for her to compete higher up.
Necalli is scary in two situations:

1. When he is piloted by someone who cannot be bullied out of taking risks (Phenom)
2. If he is playing an exceptionally patient counter-poking game.

Most online Necalli players fall into category 3:

3. Aggressive risk takers.

Necallis that jump at Birdie, that dash backwards, forwards, backwards, ground pound. That wake up DP half way through the round.

The key to being consistent online is taking less risks than your opponent. That allows you to concentrate on the matchup and play academically - which is ultimately more useful in offline play.
What is the difference between these two? My last ranked match of the day was against a Necalli that played like this. He just kept dragon punching at the most awkward of moments. I got lucky in the end by going 2-1, but he just didn't care that my meaties were on point or that I'd be willing to crush counter him. Shit messes with my head.

Getting back into this game after a few months and having a lot of fun with Nash. I played ryu at launch for about a month and birdie for about a month after that. Birdie is fun but he didn't really click.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finally started to venture into ranked play and got matched with someone else just starting out, so it was 0LP Ryu vs. 0LP Ryu. I'm sure seasoned veterans would have found our matches positively adorable. Despite winning a couple times and coming away with 130LP, the only thing I can think about is how bad I played, constantly dropping combos, making weird spur of the moment decisions, and the like.

Part of me wants to spend more time in training mode practicing, but I also wonder if I should just plunge ahead in ranked to get the butterflies out of my stomach, as I have a feeling that was also contributing to bad play to a degree. =S

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finally started to venture into ranked play and got matched with someone else just starting out, so it was 0LP Ryu vs. 0LP Ryu. I'm sure seasoned veterans would have found our matches positively adorable. Despite winning a couple times and coming away with 130LP, the only thing I can think about is how bad I played, constantly dropping combos, making weird spur of the moment decisions, and the like.

Part of me wants to spend more time in training mode practicing, but I also wonder if I should just plunge ahead in ranked to get the butterflies out of my stomach, as I have a feeling that was also contributing to bad play to a degree. =S

If matchmaking has the decency to actually set you against opponents who are also beginners, by all means keep playing real matches. The worst thing that can happen is you go back to 0 points. You definitely need to get used to the adrenaline of fighting another person so why not practice that way? Unless it makes you miserable.

]What is the difference between these two? My last ranked match of the day was against a Necalli that played like this. He just kept dragon punching at the most awkward of moments. I got lucky in the end by going 2-1, but he just didn't care that my meaties were on point or that I'd be willing to crush counter him. Shit messes with my head.
Button mashers gonna button mash, bro.

Top Bottom