• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Why does Capcom hates footsie in SFV? Ryu's Cr.MK has a small active frame and is -3 on block and well as most other characters while some like Nash, Karin and Zangief being -4. It's not like Nash and Zangief can hit confirm anything off the move. Cammy's doesn't even reach down to her angle and the only characters that have Cr.MK are FANG, Necalli, Vega, Chun LI and Laura. They are either -2 or +2.
I mean I could be totally off here but having negative normals doesn't mean you have bad footsies or no footsies. Footsies is more about whiff punishing, having normals that leave you positive on block helps with frame traps and block strings but not so much footsies.
And not everyone's main footsie tool is supposed to be the cr.mk.

Nash, Zangief, Birdie and Guile have cr.mks that are supposed to be longer ranged pokes., not confirms in any form.

FANG's is supposed to be a frametrap, it's neither a poke nor a good footsie tool.

Groof

Every time I beat survival it feels really good for the moment, but it also builds up this bigger wall of fuck this shit for any possible consequent tries. I hate that mode so much.

And not everyone's main footsie tool is supposed to be the cr.mk.

Nash, Zangief, Birdie and Guile have cr.mks that are supposed to be longer ranged pokes., not confirms in any form.

FANG's is supposed to be a frametrap, it's neither a poke nor a good footsie tool.

I mean I could be totally off here but having negative normals doesn't mean you have bad footsies or no footsies. Footsies is more about whiff punishing, having normals that leave you positive on block helps with frame traps and block strings but not so much footsies.

Not asking that all should be positive but pokes are overall worse than the previous games with bad hitboxes, small active frame and being at -3 that any move that has fireball invincible will beat them.

And the ones that have long range but not able to hit confirm to anything proves my point.

Whales

Banned
somneone explain to me how do you do a shoryuken instead of CA after ryu's cr.hp?

I can do it easy but if I have my CA then CA comes out every single time.. It just feels impossible to DP after cr.HP when you have your CA

FluxWaveZ

somneone explain to me how do you do a shoryuken instead of CA after ryu's cr.hp?

I can do it easy but if I have my CA then CA comes out every single time.. It just feels impossible to DP after cr.HP when you have your CA

Have you gone to Training mode to see how your inputs look when you're doing it?

Do the cr.hp with df instead of down.

Then do a quarter circle forward and press punch. Thats the dp shortcut. To do a shoryuken into CA, do that then do another quarter circle punch.

Whales

Banned
Have you gone to Training mode to see how your inputs look when you're doing it?

YEah, I did. The thing is I just can't do the dp motion without having a DF with it, so for some reason the game detects it as a CA...

Do the cr.hp with df instead of down.

Then do a quarter circle forward and press punch. Thats the dp shortcut. To do a shoryuken into CA, do that then do another quarter circle punch.

I just tried t out, sometimes it does a hadoken, sometimes a DP, weird.. gonna have to practice it. At least it's not throwing out random CAs so that's an improvement. Thanks dude

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best way to get the training dummy to do a reversal jab after an air reset? "Wake-Up Action" and "Guard Recovery" don't cover that one.

giphy.gif

Anyone excited for CPT online?

Skilletor

giphy.gif

Anyone excited for CPT online?

Last tourney was really good. XSK Ryu was awesome.

Like...I know you have problems with this game and will continue to bitch and moan about it, even though it confuses me as to why anybody would spend so much time with what essentially seems like self-torture, but...yeah, I'm excited, and realize that online gonna online and that's the nature of it.

I just tried t out, sometimes it does a hadoken, sometimes a DP, weird.. gonna have to practice it. At least it's not throwing out random CAs so that's an improvement. Thanks dude

Depending on your comfort level with your stick (or gamepad I suppose), you can abuse the df > df shortcut for SRK to get more consistency. That's what I started doing at least, the last time I was actively trying to use Ryu. Probably not the cleanest input choice, but in my experience it's more about consistency than anything else and this gave me a more reliable way to hit it.

First, go into training mode, and get familiar with the shortcut, I suppose. Tap df, let the stick release back to neutral and tap df again with the punch you want. You should get an SRK.

Now that you're familiar with the timing of the inputs, you can alternate between d and df.

So when you hit d.hp and want to get an SRK out of it, you can do:

d.hp > df > d > df.hp and you should get it.

The suggestion to start with df.hp is another way of doing this, I suppose, since it won't have a d in the buffer and thus will not have a fireball/CA come out.

I doubt anyone can react to rollback.
1355331549061.jpg

What's happening here? Is the animation between the dash punch and the overhead being skipped on your end? I'm not familiar enough with Balrog to parse this.

Balrog can cancel the dash punch into his v-skill into his overhead, but it's an animation for it, and you don't get hit until the overhead comes out. If the full dash punch comes out, you can't do anything after that.

EDIT: You actually had it right, the animation for the v-skill cancel just got flat out skipped.

Zerojul

I get pretty pissed at every loss but nah, never that.

Eh, not even that for me. I take the word "casual" to its most litteral sense and can really relax while playing my matches.
Except against yolo Kens, those ones anger me like nothing else does

anyone has some tips/critique for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uHhqIFyUI

here's some stuff I noticed:

I jump too much
My AA game is still garbage after all these months

what else could I improve? Tbh against that laura I had no clue when I was supposed to be able to press a button
Aside from your AA game, try to work on your fireball game. Throwing fireballs consistently or at predictable times can lead to insane damage taken, particularly against characters like Laura or Mika where they can literally end the game with one successful jump-in if they play it right.

You had the right idea to keep Laura at bay but you started going in and forcing the situation. Try to keep her at bay when you can.

Aside from general matchup experience which is something you get over time, don't be afraid to DP at situations other than when you're AAed or at wakeup. Laura players just like to keep doing things and keep pressuring their opponent so a good V-reversal or a DP can be a god send in that situation and can quickly turn the tides.

I get pretty pissed at every loss but nah, never that.
Can you please explain your ways to the people I meet in casual who keep RQing?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Can you please explain your ways to the people I meet in casual who keep RQing?

Haha Could be my level. I never played Ranked, only in the very beginning, so I stopped at Ultra Bronze. RQ's can be mainly a higher rank thing. I don't get many at all. As for myself, I am an old school cat, gotta keep it noble.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
anyone has some tips/critique for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uHhqIFyUI

here's some stuff I noticed:

I jump too much
My AA game is still garbage after all these months

what else could I improve? Tbh against that laura I had no clue when I was supposed to be able to press a button

I haven't fought many Lauras lately but I definitely had the same problem you do where I'd constantly be blocking and then get command grabbed ad nauseam. lucebuce is right that you should try throwing out a mp DP when she gets close enough to grab you during a string of attacks. I also try to keep her at a distance and make her do the work to get in. Lastly, once you get a sense of when she's going to go for the grab, you should be able to neutral jump to escape it and punish. Even if she hits you as you jump it probably won't be as bad as eating the grab.

Basically she's an overwhelming character until you get a decent amount of practice against her and can concentrate on seeing your opponent's tendencies rather than just frantically blocking the onslaught.

A personal trick that I like to employ against Laura players is to do a st.lp (as FANG) whenever I get hit by a cr.mk into stuff.

If they do a fireball, I'm safe.
If they do a v-skill, it jabs out the v-skill and I get a free mixup.
If they do a light dash punch, it's a true block string and they're at -2.

It might get beat if they do a medium dash punch but no sane Laura is going to take that risk anyway.

Zerojul

I don't understand why 1 out of 10 matches for me is a Guile mirror when he's one of the less used characters. Please spare me from this boredom Capgods.

Hyun Sai

A personal trick that I like to employ against Laura players is to do a st.lp (as FANG) whenever I get hit by a cr.mk into stuff.

If they do a fireball, I'm safe.
If they do a v-skill, it jabs out the v-skill and I get a free mixup.
If they do a light dash punch, it's a true block string and they're at -2.

It might get beat if they do a medium dash punch but no sane Laura is going to take that risk anyway.

Interesting. Fang's jab is 4 frames ?

I don't understand why 1 out of 10 matches for me is a Guile mirror when he's one of the less used characters. Please spare me from this boredom Capgods.

Happens to me as well, the few Guile of the world are just concentrated in our areas ^^

Happens to me as well, the few Guile of the world are just concentrated in our areas ^^
Birds of a feather flock together?
Interesting. Fang's jab is 4 frames ?
Yup, FANG has no 3-framer. This should apply to every 3 or 4 frame jab though you'll have to double check individually for every character.

Not sure if it works for Birdie since that fat fuck has a 5-frame st.lp

Whales

Banned
But I'm French, people should be upset we didn't get Remy instead and refuse to play him.

but remy is straight trash..

Thanks for the tips everyone. Btw, is there a good way to train AAs? Or should I just go into matches with the ''AA every thing even if you lose'' mentality?

Top Bottom