• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
nah dude, no excuses, the connection was fine

been awhile since i've seen a gaf lobby, its nice to see everyone playing

This was the first GAF lobby I've played in since SF4. Nobody invites my old ass anymore. T_T Although I don't post much in these threads either these days.

Whales

Banned
GGs boys, need to leave already sadly, gonna show my friend the basics of sfv

GGs all! Any advice for my Karin appreciated!

we didnt play enough but one thing for sure is that standing still with karin from almost fullscreen away is a super obvious cue that you're going to use that overhead move if I ever throw a fireball or something, you need to make it less obvious

Big Brett

we didnt play enough but one thing for sure is that standing still with karin from almost fullscreen away is a super obvious cue that you're going to use that overhead move if I ever throw a fireball or something, you need to make it less obvious

Cool, good point. Thanks!

Pachinko

I finally started playing ranked tonight ! I had a nice little streak of wins yesterday in casual with Ryu and figured, "hell, it's about time".

I mean, in all honesty I had a single match near the games launch and simply haven't invested much time in SFV until more recently but I have to admit it feels good to muster up the hutzbah to go into ranked and give it a go. Played a solid Ryu that seemed better than me insofar as combos are concerned (was around 1000 points Bronze player) but I think I had better fundementals but ... my ground game only got me so far and in the end I went 1-2 against him. This left me with 23 points ! after a few minutes I decided to try a second game , what's the worst that could happen right ? I lose those 23 points and go back to 0 again ? well I guess I've gotten a little better because my second matchup was against a 600 point Ibuki that I defeated largely through the use of throws and medium kicks. I mean it's bronze so I guess she was a reasonably decent Ibuki for that level of play but ultimately I stole 2 games from her. High off the win I decided that I'd do 1 more game and... I ended up pitted against an 800 point FANG. Man, that character just sucks to fight eh ? I learned the hardway that jump ins from a certain distance are no good and my tick throw tech game isn't that great BUT , after a close 3 rounds I lost... then I barely managed a win in 2 rounds and finally, after a heated 3 rounds I lost again. And so it goes...

If I want to keep playing Ryu more I think I need to practice better use of Vtrigger and maximizing combo damage a little better. I'd say I'm a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with him right now but with just little more work I could probably push that up to a 4 or even a 5.

If nothing else I'm curious just how many accounts have played ranked in SFV now, I mean last place is roughly 470,000 but the bottom of the list has hundreds of tied up spots for each position in the chart.

Zackat

I finally started playing ranked tonight ! I had a nice little streak of wins yesterday in casual with Ryu and figured, "hell, it's about time".

I mean, in all honesty I had a single match near the games launch and simply haven't invested much time in SFV until more recently but I have to admit it feels good to muster up the hutzbah to go into ranked and give it a go. Played a solid Ryu that seemed better than me insofar as combos are concerned (was around 1000 points Bronze player) but I think I had better fundementals but ... my ground game only got me so far and in the end I went 1-2 against him. This left me with 23 points ! after a few minutes I decided to try a second game , what's the worst that could happen right ? I lose those 23 points and go back to 0 again ? well I guess I've gotten a little better because my second matchup was against a 600 point Ibuki that I defeated largely through the use of throws and medium kicks. I mean it's bronze so I guess she was a reasonably decent Ibuki for that level of play but ultimately I stole 2 games from her. High off the win I decided that I'd do 1 more game and... I ended up pitted against an 800 point FANG. Man, that character just sucks to fight eh ? I learned the hardway that jump ins from a certain distance are no good and my tick throw tech game isn't that great BUT , after a close 3 rounds I lost... then I barely managed a win in 2 rounds and finally, after a heated 3 rounds I lost again. And so it goes...

If I want to keep playing Ryu more I think I need to practice better use of Vtrigger and maximizing combo damage a little better. I'd say I'm a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with him right now but with just little more work I could probably push that up to a 4 or even a 5.

If nothing else I'm curious just how many accounts have played ranked in SFV now, I mean last place is roughly 470,000 but the bottom of the list has hundreds of tied up spots for each position in the chart.

Keep on chuggin a long man. This is the first FG that I have taken seriously and I was a scrub when it came out. I am up to Super Silver now. Don't be afraid to play other characters, it took me a while to land on Laura. That being said, Ryu is arguably the best in this so he is a great character to play.

V-Trigger combos are really good with Ryu, especially to use his Critical Art. It makes it stun, which is really nice.

I'm with you man. It's my first time really playing a fighting game and it's definitely tough. I've been playing ranked for awhile now. I like it more than casual because you get a sense of progress. It feels good to move up divisions and beat people higher up than you. And if you lose you're just losing imaginary points anyways. I'm still a just bronze player but it's nice to have a sign of progress out of rookie league. Been putting a lot of time lately and it's been a lot of fun. Excited to finally be a part of the FGC and have fun in a new genre of games.

Big Brett

I'm with you man. It's my first time really playing a fighting game and it's definitely tough. I've been playing ranked for awhile now. I like it more than casual because you get a sense of progress. It feels good to move up divisions and beat people higher up than you. And if you lose you're just losing imaginary points anyways. I'm still a just bronze player but it's nice to have a sign of progress out of rookie league. Been putting a lot of time lately and it's been a lot of fun. Excited to finally be a part of the FGC and have fun in a new genre of games.

Sounds like you two would be good matches to play together with. It's no fun getting bodied when you're first starting, but learning the basics makes it not only tolerable, but it also becomes a learning experience.

nothing biggie, but I hate doing that "reload" thing, the fuharenkyaku. Same as Ibuki for the kunai
Felt like a chores

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I was really hyped for Juri when she was announced as DLC and almost equally disappointed when I played her in story mode. There are too many other meters to keep track of to have to have one for a regular move too. In IV it was a fireball that you could hold and that was fine. In V it feels to me, like moves are being withheld and extra steps required for no real reason. I've seen so many people get stuffed trying to load up moves and standing back whiffing a kick when they could be pressuring with a meaty or frame trap instead just feels like a liability.

Ibuki's finite number of projectiles and needing to replenish, makes more sense for realism's sake but it doesn't make it any better.

ShinMaruku

CgbXtavW4AEaPN8.jpg

Some of the matches done today:
Juri vs Balrog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSToLKEsLNQ

Juri vs Mika take 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAUSYe20bHM

Juri vs Mika take 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUivIP0VZME

Cammy vs Balrog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aaQVl0_ME

Cammy vs Mika:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9s41S6dBo

Juri vs Mika Take 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVPLbFprZVs

cwistofu

Just jumped back on SFV after clearing some backlog stuff. Cammy's a lot of fun. Also found out that turning off vsync in the nvidia control panel makes this game run a LOT smoother. This is a beautiful game at High AA and proper shadows!

But uh...my last three ranked matches all had ragequitters. I'm a pretty hardcore Capcom apologist when it comes to this game but what the shit has Ono and his team been working on for the past 6 months?

But uh...my last three ranked matches all had ragequitters. I'm a pretty hardcore Capcom apologist when it comes to this game but what the shit has Ono and his team been working on for the past 6 months?

costumes and stages. anything network related seems to be low priority to them. sometimes this game is just pain and suffering online.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just jumped back on SFV after clearing some backlog stuff. Cammy's a lot of fun. Also found out that turning off vsync in the nvidia control panel makes this game run a LOT smoother. This is a beautiful game at High AA and proper shadows!

What rank are you? Like, I get ragequitters from time to time. But not that often.

That's not a replacement though. You learn how to play against the character "in theory" but it's not any good if you don't actually play against those characters.

That's exactly how I learn to play against characters. You'll learn much faster that way. Training against people will help you learn how that person plays the character but not the character entirely. You need to learn how to adapt what you learn in training mode to a real match thought which can be a challenge.

Edit: Although if you need to fight people then I'd recommend trying to find people who play that character and get some sets in on battle lounge.

ShinMaruku

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Also found out that turning off vsync in the nvidia control panel makes this game run a LOT smoother.

Don't they recommend not doing this? I remember reading that it can screw things up for other players when you're online.

Kashiwaba

It's hard to learn character match ups when everyone keeps using the same fucking character.
Exactly it's always an army of ryu ffollowed by some kens, nash and some mikas here and there whenever i see a match against a different character than those ifeel like taking a screenshot as if I'm seeing some rare animal.

Top Bottom