• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

big_cartel_shoto_tee_1.png

Sayad

Gief's CA is kind of weird. He can actually store it for a little bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbRj81CCpQ
A lot of moves work like this(having huge ass buffer), buffer is so big for some you can OS between block/grab with characters like Alex by doing HCB~delay~Punch on characters with an reversals where if they do wake up reversal you block and if they try to block the command grab comes out.

It's not just a Gief only thing for the CA too, I know Chun can do it, it's just that only Gief get actual practical use out of this.

Neoxon

After playing 10 hours straight of Street Fighter V at my local get-together, I felt as if the last two hours really pushed me mentally as a player. It was then that I started to realize the true reason why I'm not progressing as much as I should. I get stressed near the end & get too scared to do what I have to. I over-think my every move to the point where I barely do anything at all, which screws me over in the long-run. Basically this stress resulted in the headache that I'm dealing with right now (so I guess the chess comparison for SFV is accurate). It's weird, seeing as I've never felt this way about any play or musical that I've ever been in (which may be attributed to the fact that I go to every rehearsal & memorize my lines/lyrics/dances/whatever to the letter). But at the same time, I feel this stress with major tests, which also screws me over while taking the test in question, so this may be an over-arching problem with me as a person. I can rehearse combos like I can rehearse my lines, but I can't apply it 1:1 like I would in a play or a musical. There's a ton of different factors that I have to consider since it's not scripted like said plays & musicals, & I think that results in the previously-mentioned stress. Though right now, I'm just gonna try to chill & get back to SFV tomorrow morning to truly improve myself both as a player & as a person by overcoming my near-the-end-of-the-match stress.

Honestly, it's amazing how Street Fighter is helping me grow in multiple aspects of my life.

Neoxon

The fighting game fear is real. It's how you handle it that defines you.
And that fear turns into frustration in the event of a loss, which puts me on tilt without an extended break (for around 15-30 minutes). I'm trying to keep that fear/stress in check for the sake of both my fighting game skills & my academic future (I'm hoping that this may solve my test stress problem).

Sayad

This is why I'm puzzled by the online response of some of "Why are people complaining about balance?" when less than half the cast is really tournament viable.
What is "really tournament viable"?! Because more than half the cast already won CPT tournaments and that's counting the three characters which have been out for less than two months!

Balance isn't perfect, but it's more than good enough for a "season one".

Big Brett

Saying less than half of the cast isn't "tournament viable" seems really ignorant. I think many players have proven many characters are completely viable. They just require more work and to gel correctly. Itabashi/Stupendous Gief, Xian FANG, Wolfkrone/CountBlack Laura. I'm sure the list goes on

Vice

What is "really tournament viable"?! Because more than half the cast already won CPT tournaments and that's counting the three characters which have been out for less than two months!

Balance isn't perfect, but it's more than good enough for a "season one".

Right now it seems to mainly be a risk-reward thing. Someone like Nash or Chun can be effective at most ranges with good zoning, great buttons for neutral play and high damage/stun combos that start from safe buttons lead to oki that is in their favor. Then the less viable characters have to either take many more risks to get in and apply their pressure. With less risk and equally good, or better, rewards they're easier to be consistent with. The bottom half of the cast is still good though but, results are showing that there is a gap between the haves and the have nots. At least in tournaments.

The better characters also make you hesitate on their wakeup. Necali for example makes you guess between him blocking, backdashing, DPing, jabbing or command grabbing when he is knocked down. While characters like Laura or Gief have jab as their biggest threat.

Having a lot of safe low risk tools just lets you be more consistent than having a few very strong strong tools. I think skill plays a huge factor though but, the best players usually just gravitate to the characters with the most advantages especially early on.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
yes please. even if he's weaksauce and i'm stuck with another mid or lower tier again.

18f stand RH with a hitbox that only goes as far as the top of the knee. TU invincible at the top 3 frames and easily low profiled. TK -8 and whiffs on crouchers even point blank. V trigger angry scar that powers up one and only one TU.
I made myself sad.

kirblar

After playing 10 hours straight of Street Fighter V at my local get-together, I felt as if the last two hours really pushed me mentally as a player. It was then that I started to realize the true reason why I'm not progressing as much as I should. I get stressed near the end & get too scared to do what I have to. I over-think my every move to the point where I barely do anything at all, which screws me over in the long-run. Basically this stress resulted in the headache that I'm dealing with right now (so I guess the chess comparison for SFV is accurate). It's weird, seeing as I've never felt this way about any play or musical that I've ever been in (which may be attributed to the fact that I go to every rehearsal & memorize my lines/lyrics/dances/whatever to the letter). But at the same time, I feel this stress with major tests, which also screws me over while taking the test in question, so this may be an over-arching problem with me as a person. I can rehearse combos like I can rehearse my lines, but I can't apply it 1:1 like I would in a play or a musical. There's a ton of different factors that I have to consider since it's not scripted like said plays & musicals, & I think that results in the previously-mentioned stress. Though right now, I'm just gonna try to chill & get back to SFV tomorrow morning to truly improve myself both as a player & as a person by overcoming my near-the-end-of-the-match stress.

Honestly, it's amazing how Street Fighter is helping me grow in multiple aspects of my life.
Stress under pressure is real- it's why Floe doesn't play competitively.

This is one of the overlooked things about why Nash is so good- in those endgame both-near-death situations, he has the most tools out of anyone in the cast to help him land that final hit.

Neoxon

Stress under pressure is real- it's why Floe doesn't play competitively.

This is one of the overlooked things about why Nash is so good- in those endgame both-near-death situations, he has the most tools out of anyone in the cast to help him land that final hit.
But in my case, I feel as though I must overcome the stress under pressure, as it's also affecting my test-taking abilities (which is bad news since I'm a college student with a Computer Engineering major). As stated earlier, I bypass this with Theatre (my minor) because I pretty much rehearse everything. I don't have that luxury with fighting games beyond rehearsing combos. And while I can study, I can't account for questions not present in the review (which would be closer to my current situation with fighting games). I want to take the next step as a competitive fighting game player & as a scholar, and I feel as though my analytical mind will help me in both regards. My issue is to overcome the stress when things get tough. I need to be as fearless as whenever I'm on stage as whatever role I'm taking on for a performance.

B3il

What is this "failed to retrieve data 80003" error on PS4?

I've had it for weeks now (in the UK.) I can't connect to their server, so I can't play online, can't acess the shop and nothing I do earns me any money/XP.

The title screen had the game at 1.03, I deleted it & shadow falls and reinstalled them. The title screen now says 1.04, but the error persists.

Surely it's not just 'server issues'? Any ideas?

18f stand RH with a hitbox that only goes as far as the top of the knee. TU invincible at the top 3 frames and easily low profiled. TK -8 and whiffs on crouchers even point blank. V trigger angry scar that powers up one and only one TU.
I made myself sad.

yummy. now we just need his eyepatch clipping through his head on the vs screen and we're golden.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What is this "failed to retrieve data 80003" error on PS4?

I've had it for weeks now (in the UK.) I can't connect to their server, so I can't play online, can't acess the shop and nothing I do earns me any money/XP.

The title screen had the game at 1.03, I deleted it & shadow falls and reinstalled them. The title screen now says 1.04, but the error persists.

Surely it's not just 'server issues'? Any ideas?
Your system should be trying to download patch 1.07. Your problem may stem from being way out of date and missing a lot of character and stage files. I don't know what the solution is but maybe Google "SFV won't download update" or something.

B3il

Your system should be trying to download patch 1.07. Your problem may stem from being way out of date and missing a lot of character and stage files. I don't know what the solution is but maybe Google "SFV won't download update" or something.

I didn't realise the game was up to 1.07. People online are saying using a different net connection (ie phone data tether) might help. I'll try it.

She's good. They left a bit too much of her on the editing room floor but that seems to be the running theme of this game as a whole.

Her V-Reversal is the worst. A lot worse than Cammy's. Hell even EX DP can beat the move on reaction. Also her normals outside lights and St.MP are bad being in the -3 or above or neutral on block. So without a charged fireball, she' has one of the worst footsie in the game.

Alright, 1517 LP after a 6-win streak.

This is it for me boys. Never playing ranked again!

lol

I moved just over the 1500 LP mark last weekend and since have been matched with 2000+ LP players, which is no surprise, but boy am I getting wrecked again and again and again.

Sad face.

yummy. now we just need his eyepatch clipping through his head on the vs screen and we're golden.

Flawless.

I moved just over the 1500 LP mark last weekend and since have been matched with 2000+ LP players, which is no surprise, but boy am I getting wrecked again and again and again.

Sad face.

I've been moving up again after some play gaps resulting in cobweb-entangled mistakes downranking me, and I've noticed I get pitted against people at least 100pts above me consistantly even without a win streak but a win trend.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
shame on these people who just leave their controller on turbo, queuing into casual to get a free loss. now I am just timing them out to waste as much time as possible to minimize their efforts.

shame on these people who just leave their controller on turbo, queuing into casual to get a free loss. now I am just timing them out to waste as much time as possible to minimize their efforts.
Yeah, you showed them!

Why not just beat them, take your experience and fm and just move on.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I got matched up with the same guy doing this four times this week and matchmaking is slow anyways. It sucks.

And I'm level 50 and it was casuals. Those points don't really mean anything.

Top Bottom