• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Bigg_Oggy

Anyone have advice to utilize Juri's target combo (standingMP>forwardHP). It doesn't hit crouching opponents so I haven't used it at all.

Whales

Banned
Exactly it's always an army of ryu ffollowed by some kens, nash and some mikas here and there whenever i see a match against a different character than those ifeel like taking a screenshot as if I'm seeing some rare animal.

really?

in casuals, I fight a load of juris,guiles and kens. Not THAT many ryus

ShinMaruku

Anyone have advice to utilize Juri's target combo (standingMP>forwardHP). It doesn't hit crouching opponents so I haven't used it at all.

Confirm into it on standing opponents.
Jump in.
After vtrigger cancel hk charge.
After CC.

crouch counter st. hk or cr hp (close range) > walk forward > target combo > dp/special of your choice

You can also combo it into a super if you have the meter, it;s great counter hit set up into super as well.

ShinMaruku

Also Juri has a great suite of anti fireball tech as well depending on spacing and how fast you can react. The easiest and safest punish is of course 214HK it will go over the fireball and hit them, with super you can cancel into super, 236HK spaced right will also go through a fireball as well allowing you to do the 236k/mk follow up, if you are near pointblank her super will cut through a fireball and counter hit them.

vulva

What character you playing? If it's Chun, the Cammy match up can be fun.

Chun, I honestly just need to know my punishes better, since I rarely end up against Cammy it's not in my muscle memory to punish certain things, while other things are total question marks. I lost to a Cammy at EVO too, so I really should focus a bit more on that match.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Neat, made it to Bronze. Wonder how long I'll stay there before going back to 0LP. =p Still suck at executing combos in actual matches, but starting to get a little more comfortable with fundamentals. It's surprising how much one can learn just from plugging away in ranked. =O

JayEH

Neat, made it to Bronze. Wonder how long I'll stay there before going back to 0LP. =p Still suck at executing combos in actual matches, but starting to get a little more comfortable with fundamentals. It's surprising how much one can learn just from plugging away in ranked. =O

experience is the best teacher. keep it up.

Probably late but down for some matches?

Steroyd

Oh
Ma
Gawd

I can finally combo into Gief's super, for years that 720 motion has harrased me game after game after game, now I can do it without jumping or waking up, I can walk up headbut someone and then plant a tree.

I might seriously consider having a pocket Gief for online just for shits and giggles, gonna go play SFIV and Third Strike and have my revenge on those games, Hugo <3

Steroyd

Does Ibuki have any combos that are punishable? I feel like she can just go HAM with no risk whatsoever. Seriously WTF

Her target combo's are unsafe on block... If she has no Kunai's to make it safe, infact outside of s.lp s.mp s.lk combo, all of her shit is unsafe outside of the fwd.hk if she has no kunai's.

My general strategy is to either wait it out until they use their kunai's and make them work hard to replenish, that animation to get more kunai's takes so long that rushdown on Ibuki when they have no resources is your best bet.

Skilletor

Does Ibuki have any combos that are punishable? I feel like she can just go HAM with no risk whatsoever. Seriously WTF

Yes?

her lmh punch target combo is -5. She can't cancel that into anything on block, so you get a punish. Kunai are -2, so not punishable.

Most of her normals are minus on block (s.lk, s.mk, s.hk, c.mp, c.hp, c.mk).

This is me. I've been putting in some training room time with Ryu recently. He's so easy to play next to Dhalsim. :(
I decided to drop Alex a couple of days ago as well. Ryu, Nash and Urien will likely be my top candidates for a new second, but I'm sure Urien will be nerfed to the ground before release. This game can suck the soul out of you if you aren't playing one of the top 8 or so.

kirblar

I decided to drop Alex a couple of days ago as well. Ryu, Nash and Urien will likely be my top candidates for a new second, but I'm sure Urien will be nerfed to the ground before release. This game can suck the soul out of you if you aren't playing one of the top 8 or so.
This is why I'm puzzled by the online response of some of "Why are people complaining about balance?" when less than half the cast is really tournament viable.

Young Magus

Made it to super bronze :').

#ThankYouBasedJuri

Also, anything I can do on my end (pc settings/apps) to make sure my connections smoother? I have 5bars/ask but even then I still get low/bad connections

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I don't know how you do it. I dropped Dictator two weeks after the game dropped. I could tell that he wasn't for me this time. :(

I still like/ do well with him. Well, good enough by my personal metric anyway. I still have Juri and Urien later. Hopefully one of them won't be hyper turbo ass after the first patch.

Whales

Banned
This is why I'm puzzled by the online response of some of "Why are people complaining about balance?" when less than half the cast is really tournament viable.

before the DLC chars like 9 chars in the game were very viable

its just that since pretty much all the DLC chars suck, it feels like the ration went down. they'll probably all get good buffs later on

Kashiwaba

before the DLC chars like 9 chars in the game were very viable

its just that since pretty much all the DLC chars suck, it feels like the ration went down. they'll probably all get good buffs later on
Which 9 you think are viable?
Personally i only see ryu ken nash chun li and mika.

Oh
Ma
Gawd

I can finally combo into Gief's super, for years that 720 motion has harrased me game after game after game, now I can do it without jumping or waking up, I can walk up headbut someone and then plant a tree.

I might seriously consider having a pocket Gief for online just for shits and giggles, gonna go play SFIV and Third Strike and have my revenge on those games, Hugo <3

I was honestly surprised how easily I did his Challenges. Buffering ftw. *goes back to cursing dash cancelling for Ken*

Just saw a good fight between Snake Eyez and THE COOL KID 93. He made the right choice going back to Zangief (holy hell)
Some of it is wagon circling, but 10/16 being viable isn't bad for new game.
I still like/ do well with him. Well, good enough by my personal metric anyway. I still have Juri and Urien later. Hopefully one of them won't be hyper turbo ass after the first patch.
The only thing "hyper turbo ass" about Juri is her SFV theme. No DLC character is cracking mid tier without buffs, though.
Which 9 you think are viable?
Personally i only see ryu ken nash chun li and mika.
Not him, but there are probably about ten viable characters at best.

Top ten (my order):
Ryu
Chun Li
Nash
Ken
Necalli
Cammy
Karin
Mika
Vega
Dhalsim

Gauging the bottom six is harder, so I won't order them, but it's safe to say most if not all the DLC characters are currently around that level. They are bound to have some favorable matchups against the bottom and top launch characters, though.

Bottom six:
Laura
Birdie
Rashid
M.Bison
Zangief
FANG

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The only thing "hyper turbo ass" about Juri is her SFV theme. No DLC character is cracking mid tier without buffs, though.

She's good. They left a bit too much of her on the editing room floor but that seems to be the running theme of this game as a whole.

kirblar

Some of it is wagon circling, but 10/16 being viable isn't bad for new game.
There's a more subtle issue - when they did a tournament result analysis, they actually formatted the data into a tier list, and what resulted seemed pretty accurate.

It wash something like

S- Nash, Chun Li
A- Ryu, Ken, Necalli, Cammy, Karin, R. Mika
B - most of the rest of the cast
C- Balrog/Ibuki (with an asterisk)

Nash/Chun as top two isn't a shock- and the A-tier can fight those two pretty well. But I don't think that's true for a large chunk of the B-tier. In their current state, I feel like they're gatekeeping the tournament scene, where if you can't go anywhere close to 50/50 with them, you really shouldn't bother learning the character (if your goal is to win an event.)

This is what I think people are reacting to, even if they're not explicitly aware of it.

FluxWaveZ

Thanks for the games earlier Flux. Any tips for my Chun ?

How was the connection on your side ?

The connection wasn't great, unfortunately. I think it might have been better than some previous times, but it was still enough stutter to actively interfere with how I play.

It's a bit hard for me to gauge with the latency, but I guess I'd say that you need to work on your meaties more to keep the pressure on when you get a KD, and to not get jabbed out. Also need to work on not getting tic thrown, since that was working more times than not.

JayEH

ryu ken nash chun mika necalli vega (+ karin and cammy to me, but it feels like people disagree)

most people would agree with this list. IMO this is pretty good for the first year of the game and even then the other characters are not trash (Xian just won a tournament last week with FANG for example) with maybe the exception of a couple of the DLC characters.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If they can get Karin in the game then there's at least a small chance of Skullomania for season 2 right guys?

She's good. They left a bit too much of her on the editing room floor but that seems to be the running theme of this game as a whole.
I feel like Ibuki is better than people think she is, but that might be because most of my Ibuki footage is coming from Sako match vids. She must struggle in the US scenes. Her V-Trigger being not being two bars was definitely a big mistake.
There's a more subtle issue - when they did a tournament result analysis, they actually formatted the data into a tier list, and what resulted seemed pretty accurate.

It wash something like

S- Nash, Chun Li
A- Ryu, Ken, Necalli, Cammy, Karin, R. Mika
B - most of the rest of the cast
C- Balrog/Ibuki (with an asterisk)

Nash/Chun as top two isn't a shock- and the A-tier can fight those two pretty well. But I don't think that's true for a large chunk of the B-tier. In their current state, I feel like they're gatekeeping the tournament scene, where if you can't go anywhere close to 50/50 with them, you really shouldn't bother learning the character (if your goal is to win an event.)

This is what I think people are reacting to, even if they're not explicitly aware of it.
This is a fair assessment that I can't disagree with. For mid tier players it really is about how well you and your character can perform against that top 5-10. If you can't get to them with a rumored bottom 5 or a DLC character then you are in for a world of hurt against Nash, Ryu and Chun.
If they can get Karin in the game then there's at least a small chance of Skullomania for season 2 right guys?
Karin, Birdie and Alex make me think we have a chance at Ingrid, Sodom and Q. Skullomania and Rival Schools characters are on an entirely different level.

Tiffany and kyosuke could probably fit in SF5 pretty nicely, I feel the other characters are too close to existing SF characters; batsu is practically a shoto.

Mizerman

Karin, Birdie and Alex make me think we have a chance at Ingrid, Sodom and Q. Skullomania and Rival Schools characters are on an entirely different level.

Yeah, I still think that Sodom has a good chance at being a season 2 character. Hell, he almost made it to the initial roster. Q's a darkhorse as well so I like his chances as well.

I still wanna see Oro as a playable character one day.

more shotos is never a bad thing.

Heh. For all we know, Akuma and Sakura are just waiting around the corner.

Top Bottom