• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

God, I despise fighting Balrog as Alex. All of his pressure pushes me out of range of punishes so I literally can't do anything even when he's like -5 :<

same, all of his dash punches feel unpunishable to me, I tried every button lol

Like, he's -7 on MP Dash Straight yet it pushes me out of range of any move that'd be able to punish it.

I know he's a cinch once I have momentum, but getting there is like pulling teeth.

Whales

Banned
Like, he's -7 on MP Dash Straight yet it pushes me out of range of any move that'd be able to punish it.

I know he's a cinch once I have momentum, but getting there is like pulling teeth.

a quick vframe data verification told me I could punish with lk into tatsu

im gonna have to train the crap out of that

a quick vframe data verification told me I could punish with lk into tatsu

im gonna have to train the crap out of that

Just cuz it works framewise doesn't mean it works positioning-wise :p

Theoretically I can punish any dash punch with MP into LP Chop but they all push me out of MP range on block.

I think I'm gonna call it a night soon. I'm hella tired it's dulling my reflexes :p

GGs though; definitely gotta get more practice vs. Ibuki and Balrog cuz I have noooooo idea how to punish or approach them.

Whales

Banned
yep, me too. GGs guys

This is actually the first time i'm on the game for 2 hours in a row, usually I play like 30-40mins then take a break.. it was that fun. Good varied lobby and the matches were all pretty close

SephLuis

Went to a small local tournament today and got third. I need to practice more offline and really need to play longer sessions for tournaments. The way it is both my nerves and mental exaustion are hitting too early.

Pompadour

Your Balrog is damn nasty, man. Had me sweating during every single match with those perfectly-spaced normals and dash punches.

Thanks. Yeah, those are some skills I had to learn very quickly when I started using Balrog. With Karin I feel like I could just mash MP in tight situations and I'd be OK but with Balrog I was constantly getting punished. My gameplan with Balrog is to typically frustrate my opponent until they crack as opposed to going for big damage.

You really got into my head with Alex near the end. There was so many times my brain was telling me "he's going for the powerbomb" but I was too nervous to react appropriately.

Thanks. Yeah, those are some skills I had to learn very quickly when I started using Balrog. With Karin I feel like I could just mash MP in tight situations and I'd be OK but with Balrog I was constantly getting punished. My gameplan with Balrog is to typically frustrate my opponent until they crack as opposed to going for big damage.

You really got into my head with Alex near the end. There was so many times my brain was telling me "he's going for the powerbomb" but I was too nervous to react appropriately.

Your practice certainly paid off; I was gettin' pretty impatient and fell for way too many EX Dash Grand Blows and throws.

And yes, my counter-yomi with Alex is just to be so dang reckless that it strikes fear into my opponent's heart ;P

I went back again today for the first time in a couple weeks or so, and rusty doesn't even start to describe me. Time to get back on the SFV grind.

Kashiwaba

Since i was stupid enough to waste my fm on two stages and some story costumes seems like i will only have enough fm to unlock 4 out of season 1 6 characters let's hope daily challenges will bring enough fm to unlock the other two otherwise i have to pay real money (so far unlocked ibuki, juri, balrog and got 110k waiting for urien).

Edzi

Holy crap, Chun is straight up impossible as Alex unless you can somehow predict/react to her instant air legs (which I can't). It feels like a never ending safe string of attacks with no gaps.

Big Brett

Been sticking solely to battle lounges with a reddit intermediate group... I am improving so quickly. It feels great. This game is amazing.

Holy crap, Chun is straight up impossible as Alex unless you can somehow predict/react to her instant air legs (which I can't). It feels like a never ending safe string of attacks with no gaps.

Air legs spam, all day.. plus Alex weak ass defense is a miss match, Alex slow putrid normals no match for Chun..

Reached gold rank today and I feel more exhausted than I have in weeks for some reason. Today's matches have just sucked all the energy out of me. There isn't even enough left to complain about Ryu and Ken. I'll still take a moment to curse that asshole super gold Nash that took 70 points and ragequit when I beat him in a rematch that should have gotten me 113 points.

Probably done with ranked completely now.
Can't alex just use st.lp to swat that IA legs out of the sky before it hits him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wyIPDK1DM

Just pretend you are psychic.

giphy.gif

They need to fix Nash's V-Trigger

And Netcode

Kashiwaba

Reached gold rank today and I feel more exhausted than I have in weeks for some reason. Today's matches have just sucked all the energy out of me. There isn't even enough left to complain about Ryu and Ken. I'll still take a moment to curse that asshole super gold Nash that took 70 points and ragequit when I beat him in a rematch that should have gotten me 113 points.

Probably done with ranked completely now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wyIPDK1DM

Just pretend you are psychic.
Same here i just lost the motivation to play ranked after hitting gold few days ago now i just stick to casual and lobbiess.

Tan

Having a hard time playing juri...

Feel like I need my charges to do any damage but against aggressive characters I have no time to get them

Also you can neutral jump over her ex dp....

When ryu is still throwing the fireball, its hitbox is -huge-, I think you just teleported into it since the screen freezes for a sec.

It's Nash's Hurtbox while using V-Trigger being the issue. He shouldn't be getting hit by moves when he teleport behind. And it's not like he reappears in front either. It's just Capcom's shiity hit/hurbox in play.

Need a little Karin advice - if someone is jumping in on me or are up in my face on my (karin) wakeup, what are her best options?

I'm trying to break the bad habit of EX Ressenha.

Need a little Karin advice - if someone is jumping in on me or are up in my face on my (karin) wakeup, what are her best options?

You take it like a man because her anti-airs are terrible.
Dash under works for regular jump ins, just block on wake up.

Big Brett

If you can space it properly, s.hp can sometimes AA, sometimes trade. If they're pressuring you with meaty heavily, ex ressenha should beat that. That'll make them much more scared to pressure your wake up. Other than that, think of command dashing under the jumps, or just blocking them.

Also Whales, I'll PM you a link. It's a discord for bronze-silvers (supers and ultras included)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Against jumping in:
- Her anti-airs are basically EX dp, st.hp, cr.hp and st.lp and other than EX dp, none of them are super reliable, but they cover different situation. St.hp is really good against jump-ins from far away and neutral jumps (in the corner, too). If your opponent does neutral jump with a normal, st.hp covers almost half the screen. Cr.hp is good against your usual slow jump-in with heavy kicks, things like random Nash teleports (it auto-corrects left/right and it can crush counter) and Chun's instant air legs if you're ready. Also, you can cancel both hp versions into her command dash for a quick mixup. There are some more specific uses for normals, like st.mp is good against moves that land behind you (missed Ken air tatsu for example) or neutral jumps in the corner. Cr.lp is good against Chun's instant air legs and st.lp is good against neutral jumps in front of you.
- Air-to-air! If you watch high level Karin play you'll see this a lot since it's much more reliable and it keeps your opponent where they were, preferably the corner. Look at last week's Daigo-Mago match: https://youtu.be/8AiZNqSsW-0?t=56m40s Daigo jumps twice in the first round and Mago answers with air-to-air twice. The concept is basically that the more ready you are for a jump, the slower (and more damaging) the normal you should use in the air is. I really think this should be the preferred option for Karins by now. It also leaves your opponent at footsie range where Karin is at her best
- Dash under. You can go for a good fast normal (st.lk or cr.mp), a throw, a block (if your opponent is mashy) or a neutral jump afterwards.
- V-reversal. Most opponents go for a short blockstring after a jump-in. V-reversal the first blocked attack and they lose their pressure. This will lose to all throws. Not that great of an option.

Against pressure on wake-up:
- Block. It's underrated.
- V-Reversal. Best used against slow moves that leave your opponent + on block and make you guess afterwards like Bison's st.hk and Alex' lariat(?). Karin can get range-specific ambiguous cross-ups, meaty setups and safe-jumps after you hit with it.
- EX dp is your only invincible attack. You have to use it sometimes. It loses to opponents that neutral jump right in front of you.
- Backdash. Kind of sucks in this game, but it's decent against graplers since it beats command throws, normal throws, create distance if your opponent blocks and often you will only get hit once if they use a normal.
- Neutral jump if you guess a command throw. If you neutral jump a normal throw, good opponents will hit you with a standing jab or something.
- Mash your 3 frame cr.lp. This is a weird one. It shouldn't be as good, but it's amazing how well it works. If your opponent has meaty timings down, stop using it.
- Jump back option select (video)
- If you expect a shimmy, you can do cr.mk xx tenko or cr.mk xx EX kicks as a safe block string that hits standing opponents.

Crouch jab is the ideal anti-legs attack for Alex. It's acually easier to do than you think. I thought it would be impossible to react to, too...but if you're opponent is using legs a lot, you really can counter it on reaction.

If you hit cr. lp, she air resets, and then Alex can step forward get a mixup. Power bomb or meaty.

If you're super gotlike you can try cr. mp (if Chun is close enough, you can actually end up low profiling and switching sides with her) or maybe even cr. hp for max damage. But, you need god reactions for that.

But, yeah, the match up is rough.

Against jumping in:
- Her anti-airs are basically EX dp, st.hp, cr.hp and st.lp and other than EX dp, none of them are super reliable, but they cover different situation. St.hp is really good against jump-ins from far away and neutral jumps (in the corner, too). If your opponent does neutral jump with a normal, st.hp covers almost half the screen. Cr.hp is good against your usual slow jump-in with heavy kicks, things like random Nash teleports (it auto-corrects left/right and it can crush counter) and Chun's instant air legs if you're ready. Also, you can cancel both hp versions into her command dash for a quick mixup. There are some more specific uses for normals, like st.mp is good against moves that land behind you (missed Ken air tatsu for example) or neutral jumps in the corner. Cr.lp is good against Chun's instant air legs and st.lp is good against neutral jumps in front of you.
- Air-to-air! If you watch high level Karin play you'll see this a lot since it's much more reliable and it keeps your opponent where they were, preferably the corner. Look at last week's Daigo-Mago match: https://youtu.be/8AiZNqSsW-0?t=56m40s Daigo jumps twice in the first round and Mago answers with air-to-air twice. The concept is basically that the more ready you are for a jump, the slower (and more damaging) the normal you should use in the air is. I really think this should be the preferred option for Karins by now. It also leaves your opponent at footsie range where Karin is at her best
- Dash under. You can go for a good fast normal (st.lk or cr.mp), a throw, a block (if your opponent is mashy) or a neutral jump afterwards.
- V-reversal. Most opponents go for a short blockstring after a jump-in. V-reversal the first blocked attack and they lose their pressure. This will lose to all throws. Not that great of an option.

Against pressure on wake-up:
- Block. It's underrated.
- V-Reversal. Best used against slow moves that leave your opponent + on block and make you guess afterwards like Bison's st.hk and Alex' lariat(?). Karin can get range-specific ambiguous cross-ups, meaty setups and safe-jumps after you hit with it.
- EX dp is your only invincible attack. You have to use it sometimes. It loses to opponents that neutral jump right in front of you.
- Backdash. Kind of sucks in this game, but it's decent against graplers since it beats command throws, normal throws, create distance if your opponent blocks and often you will only get hit once if they use a normal.
- Neutral jump if you guess a command throw. If you neutral jump a normal throw, good opponents will hit you with a standing jab or something.
- Mash your 3 frame cr.lp. This is a weird one. It shouldn't be as good, but it's amazing how well it works. If your opponent has meaty timings down, stop using it.
- Jump back option select (video)
- If you expect a shimmy, you can do cr.mk xx tenko or cr.mk xx EX kicks as a safe block string that hits standing opponents.

Thank you. I'm gonna break that down in training and see what I can do with it. =)

Top Bottom