• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Against jumping in:
- Her anti-airs are basically EX dp, st.hp, cr.hp and st.lp and other than EX dp, none of them are super reliable, but they cover different situation. St.hp is really good against jump-ins from far away and neutral jumps (in the corner, too). If your opponent does neutral jump with a normal, st.hp covers almost half the screen. Cr.hp is good against your usual slow jump-in with heavy kicks, things like random Nash teleports (it auto-corrects left/right and it can crush counter) and Chun's instant air legs if you're ready. Also, you can cancel both hp versions into her command dash for a quick mixup. There are some more specific uses for normals, like st.mp is good against moves that land behind you (missed Ken air tatsu for example) or neutral jumps in the corner. Cr.lp is good against Chun's instant air legs and st.lp is good against neutral jumps in front of you.
- Air-to-air! If you watch high level Karin play you'll see this a lot since it's much more reliable and it keeps your opponent where they were, preferably the corner. Look at last week's Daigo-Mago match: https://youtu.be/8AiZNqSsW-0?t=56m40s Daigo jumps twice in the first round and Mago answers with air-to-air twice. The concept is basically that the more ready you are for a jump, the slower (and more damaging) the normal you should use in the air is. I really think this should be the preferred option for Karins by now. It also leaves your opponent at footsie range where Karin is at her best
- Dash under. You can go for a good fast normal (st.lk or cr.mp), a throw, a block (if your opponent is mashy) or a neutral jump afterwards.
- V-reversal. Most opponents go for a short blockstring after a jump-in. V-reversal the first blocked attack and they lose their pressure. This will lose to all throws. Not that great of an option.

Against pressure on wake-up:
- Block. It's underrated.
- V-Reversal. Best used against slow moves that leave your opponent + on block and make you guess afterwards like Bison's st.hk and Alex' lariat(?). Karin can get range-specific ambiguous cross-ups, meaty setups and safe-jumps after you hit with it.
- EX dp is your only invincible attack. You have to use it sometimes. It loses to opponents that neutral jump right in front of you.
- Backdash. Kind of sucks in this game, but it's decent against graplers since it beats command throws, normal throws, create distance if your opponent blocks and often you will only get hit once if they use a normal.
- Neutral jump if you guess a command throw. If you neutral jump a normal throw, good opponents will hit you with a standing jab or something.
- Mash your 3 frame cr.lp. This is a weird one. It shouldn't be as good, but it's amazing how well it works. If your opponent has meaty timings down, stop using it.
- Jump back option select (video)
- If you expect a shimmy, you can do cr.mk xx tenko or cr.mk xx EX kicks as a safe block string that hits standing opponents.

*furiously scribbles notes down*

I am stuck on Karin and loving it so much thanks for this. I am finally getting to the point where I can punish with cr.MP on reaction off counters and blocked attacks that should be punished. The latter has always been an issue for me but with Karin, I am finally maximizing damage much more consistently.

SephLuis

Having a hard time playing juri...

Feel like I need my charges to do any damage but against aggressive characters I have no time to get them

Also you can neutral jump over her ex dp....

If the player is too aggressive, you need a knockdown to get the charges.

If you poke them or anti-air correctly, they won't come in as hard and you can get the charges. If you manage to get a cr.mp as a counter poke you can cancel into qcb+k and get a knockdown (I think). Throws also work for this.

If you can get at least one charge, pick mk. Since you can use it as a link in a proper punish, you can also finish the combo with a knockdown and get 1-2 other charges.

If you manage a jump-in, use the target combo and then you have a few options:

Get two charges
Get one charge and use lk pinwheel
Use the lk charge and use lk pinwheel (and you can combo into CA after pinwheel)

Edzi

lmao, I can see how alex has some trouble getting in , and once he gets in if he eats one wakeup dp then welp he needs to start all over

It's mostly just the Ryu matchup in general that I have a problem with. He just annoys me to no end.

Edzi

GGs Whales. I finally started playing a bit more patiently in that last set and it paid off. A part of my soul died every time you jabbed me out of a crossup though.

Whales

Banned
GGs Whales. I finally started playing a bit more patiently in that last set and it paid off. A part of my soul died every time you jabbed me out of a crossup though.

The day they nerf those AA jabs is the day I go back to rookie level

doesn't alex have one too?

Whales

Banned
next time just make a lounge with a password and put it in email tags so only members here can see it, like that we can join when we want without needing an invite

Haven't played a lot of this week due to starting a new job. I jumped in to some ranked today and got a 6 game win streak. Felt good. I got bodied and humbled the next couple of matches but its nice seeing progress. Pretty cool being able to actually play a fighting game somewhat competitively.

When you hit the reset to win the round: Empty jump, Cr.LK, St.LP xx EX Tragedy assault xx Above and Front V-Trigger, J.MP, Dash, Cr.MP, St.MP xx HK Scythe

3f1.gif

Sigmaah

What normal is unsafe? I can't seem to find an opening once you get in close unless you mess up with the roll.

Tbh I really don't know lmao!!! I know when I stance switch u can hit me then but that's all I really know. I just watch videos and see what works from there

Edzi

Goddamn @ that disrespect on wakeup. I really need to work on my timings lol

EDIT: oh no, now the mirror match disrespect. I'm about to get bodied aren't I?

Edzi

Tbh I really don't know lmao!!! I know when I stance switch u can hit me then but that's all I really know. I just watch videos and see what works from there

GGs man, your Vega was something else. Glad I managed to (barely) take the Alex mirror match set though.

Any holes in my game you noticed? Or any general advice?

Same here i just lost the motivation to play ranked after hitting gold few days ago now i just stick to casual and lobbiess.
I might try playing gaffers more often now. Discord usually gives me people to fight, but it might be fun to switch things up a little now that I'm not going to spend much time on ranked.
It's mostly just the Ryu matchup in general that I have a problem with. He just annoys me to no end.
For most characters there are only bad options and less bad options against him.
The day they nerf those AA jabs is the day I go back to rookie level

doesn't alex have one too?
Alex does, but he also doesn't have a meterless DP or parry available 24/7.
I wanna know the next season characters. I need to start playing in battle lounges more often.
Capcom would be smart to release the names all at once when they announce season 2. The last thing I want is to have my expectations shattered three or four times just because Ono likes to troll people. I'm going to be SUPER bitter if season 2 just turns into world warrior year while everyone hopes for some variety in the cast to be announced every month or two.

Pompadour

Capcom would be smart to release the names all at once when they announce season 2. The last thing I want is to have my expectations shattered three or four times just because Ono likes to troll people. I'm going to be SUPER bitter if season 2 just turns into world warrior year while everyone hopes for some variety in the cast to be announced every month or two.

I'm in the same boat, I think. Not knowing who the characters will be makes the trailers more hype but the characters I'm hoping for aren't that popular so knowing the cast ahead of time rips the bandaid off, so to speak.

Sigmaah

GGs man, your Vega was something else. Glad I managed to (barely) take the Alex mirror match set though.

Any holes in my game you noticed? Or any general advice?

With Alex, try to do f.hp more since it makes u super safe after block and I can't press shit or I'm fucked. Do a lot less of the stomp since I was punishing it a lot. u got ur AA jab on point and when u do it, dash under and go for mixup, meaning cr. lk into lp then lp chop, grab or command grab. use Alex's v skill more when u back up since why not have a CC ready whenever possible. Also incorporate the charge command grab in ur mixup game as well. Like cr.lp twice then do that.

All I can think of now, u do well to keep distance with them cr.mps

someone pls tell me how to beat people that give me all rollback starting from the end of round one. at that point i can just let go of the arcade stick and wait until it's over.

also got my first ragequitter in this new world. why are you doing this to me, juri?

Big Brett

someone pls tell me how to beat people that give me all rollback starting from the end of round one. at that point i can just let go of the arcade stick and wait until it's over.

also got my first ragequitter in this new world. why are you doing this to me, juri?

Pray. Rollback fucks me hard. Oh I hit it, better use this -8 move. Oh, it didn't actually hit sick im dead

Ragequitting these days is dangerous business...

Tell me about it. How am I supposed to get to Super Silver?

Top Bottom