• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Big Brett

Care to divulge? I see no reason in a 1v1 game for someone to be punished for forfeiting. Ranked is solely for points. Lose the points, winner gets their points, loser is done getting wrecked. What is the issue with that? How does this punish either player?

cackhyena

It doesn't solve any problems. The player who forfeits loses what...the fm that was on the line? Penalties ensure players like that either stop, or just stop playing. The majority are here to play and learn match ups. Having a "I give up" option just enables people who don't wanna get beat down. Take the whooping and then back out.

Big Brett

It doesn't solve any problems. The player who forfeits loses what...the fm that was on the line? Penalties ensure players like that either stop, or just stop playing. The majority are here to play and learn match ups. Having a "I give up" option just enables people who don't wanna get beat down. Take the whooping and then back out.

The system in place fucked you over though, didn't it? So you can't play ranked for days now because of this bunk ass system.

I just can't get behind it. It's half-assed imo.

FluxWaveZ

Care to divulge? I see no reason in a 1v1 game for someone to be punished for forfeiting. Ranked is solely for points. Lose the points, winner gets their points, loser is done getting wrecked. What is the issue with that? How does this punish either player?

I don't even understand the point of this option. One's getting beat down so they just decide to quit early? Why are they even playing this game? Imagine if someone behaved like this at locals or at tournaments?

This isn't StarCraft II, where leaving games "before they're done" is totally acceptable and encouraged.

vulva

By specifically including this feature it then encourages the behaviour. This shows the option as a viable one as opposed to the current state in which the person quitting is dealt with an inconvenience as a result of attempting to circumvent the system. If someone really wants to RQ they also disconnect themselves from the network, which limits their ability to return to play. This means that if some (obviously not all) people would want to quit mid match, then this would be one more barrier.

The suggestion of a forfeit system says that it's an encouraged behaviour. They aren't dealt with any additional inconveniences and would lead to a more widespread use of matches ending early. This is detrimental to the experience of both players, really, as it would force the player who didn't disconnect to have more incomplete matches which cheapens their experience while the people forfeiting are now being given less reason to improve as players, since they're just leaving anyways.

I realize that people do RQ now and that it's somewhat widespread, but why on earth would a new feature that makes that process easier and more accessible ever be a good thing?

Durden77

If you want to forfeit that hard just put your controller down... the round would be over in 15 seconds tops.

This isn't LoL where games can take an hour. Having a forfeit buttton would be more trouble than it's worth and would take away from the spirit of the game.

cackhyena

The system in place fucked you over though, didn't it? So you can't play ranked for days now because of this bunk ass system.

I just can't get behind it. It's half-assed imo.
There's just no getting around it, though. Mine is a unique situation I suspect is on my PC's end. Disconnects of that nature are never gonna be fixed, I think. Same with if you're internet connection cut out all of a sudden. You just take the licks because shit happens. Having a forfeit option wouldn't negate any of this anyway. Even still, the type of person looking to forfeit shouldn't be playing competitively. There's nothing to be gained from it. If you're getting beat, you try to learn how they are doing it. You don't advance in games like these by playing people of only your skill level, you know?

Sinfamy

I just came in here to say fuck this game.
As a Vega player, this game is unplayable.
On top of the game frames, TV and DS4 to PS4 latency, the fucking lag is unbearable, even when I select "5" as the only option for matching players.
How can I possibly string together a combo with Vega when I can't even see my character.

And the amount of Ryu players constantly spamming Shoryuken is just absurd.

Big Brett

I guess encouraging it would be the wrong idea, I can concede to that. I just find the punishment harsh as hell, as someone who has never rage quit before. I think the issue is as simple as deducting the points from the quitter, and awarding the points to the winner. You guys aren't wrong though, having the option there would encourage it. Didn't really think of that.

remz

If you want to forfeit that hard just put your controller down... the round would be over in 15 seconds tops.

This isn't LoL where games can take an hour. Having a forfeit buttton would be more trouble than it's worth and would take away from the spirit of the game.

Basically. If you wanna forfeit get up, have a coffee and a piece of fruit or something then come back when the game is over.

vulva

I guess encouraging it would be the wrong idea, I can concede to that. I just find the punishment harsh as hell, as someone who has never rage quit before. I think the issue is as simple as deducting the points from the quitter, and awarding the points to the winner. You guys aren't wrong though, having the option there would encourage it. Didn't really think of that.

I'm certainly not saying the current system is perfect, but a forfeit option is definitely worse.

I was honestly fine with how the SF4 system worked where you lose the points if you disconnect, however if the rumours of how the game cannot discern who did the DQ are to be believed then that option simply isn't viable unfortunately.

I'm in the same boat, I think. Not knowing who the characters will be makes the trailers more hype but the characters I'm hoping for aren't that popular so knowing the cast ahead of time rips the bandaid off, so to speak.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I wrote that post. They don't need to string us along for months and I might buy a season 2 DLC pass if there are characters I want. I'd have to see a contract written in blood promising that they won't try to release "toned down" versions of the DLC characters, though.
Well, I think I have the game for... 2 weeks now? Anyway, having fun, some salt, but not much, I am silver now, so, I don't know, progressing well, I guess. BUT

I am playing Mika and feels cheap. lol. It feels like I skipped learning how to play part of the game to just focus on fundamentals + her super easy to do combos and setups. It's not that the matches are free or anything like that, but Mika feels like one of those characters where I am not quite playing the same game than other people.

Is this a really dumb way to think?

I am thinking of switching to Laura or Chun, but then I get lazy, lol, it's like "oh no, I will have to learn how to actually play".
I've fought all sorts of Mikas and ironically the ones with less LP play a much stronger footsie game. Just yesterday I completely wrecked a Mika well above 4K and every failed passion press made me utter the word "fraud". She can be played in a legit way, but her style just encourages corner play and passion presses too much. Still better than fighting Ryu and Ken, though.
On top of the game frames, TV and DS4 to PS4 latency, the fucking lag is unbearable, even when I select "5" as the only option for matching players.
How can I possibly string together a combo with Vega when I can't even see my character.

Vega is probably the scariest character in the game besides Ryu and Ken online. His normals, walkspeed, command grabs (air and ground) and his stupid air game make him super hard to fight unless you are on top of him on wake up. Ryu IS shit to fight, though. There are no good options against characters like him.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to wonder if it has to do with the windows 10 anniversary update. Game ran fine before that.
This is a basic Windows thing, but have you checked the Event Viewer? It ususally gives some hint on what the problem could be.

I don't know, did you have 6 or 10 in half hour before lol ?

When I remember I had less than 5 people rage quitting on me in the entire time I played SFIV, the way Capcom handles this in SFV is hilariously sad.
You could see the disconnect rate in a lobby in SFIV, I often checked those and basically kicked anyone over 1%. That why I found it funny that Haunt's ragequit trigger was something like 60% lol.

You can't see your character? What.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Starting to wonder if it has to do with the windows 10 anniversary update. Game ran fine before that.
My system has shown some new signs of instability since the update. Nothing weird in street fighter until yesterday when I was playing local vs for the first time in many months and the game froze temporarily for like 30 seconds, once mid-match and once on the final hit of the round. It stopped after that but it was worrying nonetheless. Don't know if it's windows but it's the prime suspect.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Whales

Banned
as ryu, any tips vs cammy? She should be fine but it feels like all of her buttons are too good and I have no idea when its my turn

also her little spin tricks should be alright to react to but it feels like my baboon mind is too slow for that. Anyone can help out?

anyone here plays cammy? it would be nice to play some sets later

So i am stuck using a controller that SFV doesn't see, so i have to use 360ce, my arcade stick is busted doesn't block properly on the left side, the problem is 360ce amplifies Negative Edge, just this simple combo with Rashid gets fucked up a lot now, C.MK into spinning mixer is now a 50/50 chance of turning into whirlwind, even with the slightest tap of the button, really wish could turn of NE, like MK... this same controller SF4 sees without the need of 360ce, come on Capcom release some damn dinput drivers..

cackhyena

This is a basic Windows thing, but have you checked the Event Viewer? It ususally gives some hint on what the problem could be.

Yep, checked there. Of the many minor problems going on there, none showed the SFV App in any areas. Not in Warnings, Errors or plain old Events. It's like the computer has a timer set to straight up shut the game down right away and everything is hunky dory. No error code or anything. Before I revert to before the Anniversary Update, I'm gonna reinstall the game and see if that fixes it.

So i am stuck using a controller that SFV doesn't see, so i have to use 360ce, my arcade stick is busted doesn't block properly on the left side, the problem is 360ce amplifies Negative Edge, just this simple combo with Rashid gets fucked up a lot now, C.MK into spinning mixer is now a 50/50 chance of turning into whirlwind, even with the slightest tap of the button, really wish could turn of NE, like MK... this same controller SF4 sees without the need of 360ce, come on Capcom release some damn dinput drivers..

Have you tried using JoyToKey? or a different joystick to keyboard software?

mbpm1

as ryu, any tips vs cammy? She should be fine but it feels like all of her buttons are too good and I have no idea when its my turn

Should be able to counterpoke her buttons with cr. mp/st. mk/st. lk into things/sweep with good timing. Or fireball them if you're a little further back. Riskier alternatives are lp dp or tatsu or parry but often they aren't worth it. If you have a strong read it might be worth trying once in a while tho.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get all of them so you do spend a lot of time blocking but you do have to seize the moments you can.

On turns: St. mp > cr. mk has a gap IIRC. You can poke out of it with a fast button. I think st. mp > st. mp might also have one but not sure. They can mix this up with a jab to counterpoke your counterpoke but this relieves some pressure.

also her little spin tricks should be alright to react to but it feels like my baboon mind is too slow for that. Anyone can help out?

If you think she's gonna spin2win, just wait for it and react. If you can't react, practice a bit in training room and you'll be able to eventually.

Parrying random spin knuckles > cr. hp > dp 4 times tends to teach them not to do it or just kill them. If they use hooligan, this is a bit tricker depending on distance. Usually you can st. hk or dp them, but further range is usually a bait for dps and you should use a longer poke like cr. mp, st. mk, or fireball from farther bc they won't hit you most of the time. Do not try to parry anything related to hooligan, you're taking a guess on timing which most of the time won't pan out.

That returns you to footsies/jump game.

That's how I did it when I payed roo at least

cackhyena

"Sigh" Still quitting to desktop after precisely 15 minutes of being on. Currently testing another Steam game to see if Steam might be the issue instead. If not...how do I contact Haunts about issues? Twitter?

Edit: This is after completely reinstalling the game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"Sigh" Still quitting to desktop after precisely 15 minutes of being on. Currently testing another Steam game to see if Steam might be the issue instead. If not...how do I contact Haunts about issues? Twitter?

There are some weirdly specific answers for quite similar problems if you google it. Maybe it's this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/3ffxm1/help_my_game_crashes_every_time_after_exactly_15/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/908213/gamestream-of-skyrim-does-after-exactly-15-minutes-/

Do you have a wacom tablet? I remember there being crashing issues having one plugged in (even though mine works fine).

cackhyena

Thanks, guys. I don't see anywhere in services about Tablet PC stuff to disable, but I do have my Wacom tablet plugged in for the first time in a while, so I unplugged and am now testing. Only other thing related is I see something on the right of my taskbar called Windows Ink Workspace. Been there since I reinstalled my Wacom. Still there after I unplugged.

Edzi

Thanks, guys. I don't see anywhere in services about Tablet PC stuff to disable, but I do have my Wacom tablet plugged in for the first time in a while, so I unplugged and am now testing. Only other thing related is I see something on the right of my taskbar called Windows Ink Workspace. Been there since I reinstalled my Wacom. Still there after I unplugged.

This was one of the earliest known issues with the game so I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it until now. Unplugging it will likely do the trick.

cackhyena

It's just weird that it's only this game. I hadn't had my tablet plugged in since I bought the game, I think. Just before this I tested Dirt rally and it was fine.

Anyways, past the 15 minute mark, guys. Thank you! Now to Grind back to get that lost 1,000 LP.

Csr

They still haven't fixed that issue? smh

Hopefully with the season 1 dlc over they can concentrate on some bugs and qol changes.

mbpm1

I think I recall wacom tablets causing problems for another game I tried to play one time. Might be a wacom thing every now and then

Ryce

Scrapped superhero/tokusatsu costumes

Hado Burst
rGfmzup.jpg

Atomic Hurricane
KYA5hh0.jpg

Rainbow Hip
TySJbFf.jpg

Kanzuki Dynamic Ω9
zbpEIc6.jpg

Psycho Shadow
ArCeR1F.jpg

Bull Star
8n5lOYJ.jpg

Wonder Y.O.G.A
m8EYTy4.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Since Karin is kind of a Tony Stark of the SF universe, an Iron Man like suit would be pretty cool.

If one is playing to learn, having opponents frequently forfeit on them because they can't be bothered to try to mount a comeback, because they don't like a certain MU, because they don't like how a certain player plays, etc. would be a real pain. Would probably be mostly a thing in lower leagues, but still.

One solid purpose a forfeit would warrant tho is extremely bad lag.

Durden77

Man those super hero costumes own. I would buy nearly all of those, even for the characters I don't play. That Karin one is the shit.

Atomic Hurricane FTW.

Top Bottom