• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I'm bronze, but just fought a Nash who was block stringing me literally the entire match but every after every ending hit he was always too far away to b+MP. I felt powerless the entire time, like he wouldn't let up but there was nothing I could do to stop him. Eventually I'd miss a block and that was that.

Rush them down, he has slow start ups on his moves, and you can stuff most of his attacks before they come out, which is why he gets boned if caught in the corner with his only 2 real options being v reversal or v trigger... Or a Yolo ex scythe between attack strings -_- , punishing Nash after his attacks are really hard.

Defensive keep away Nash's are the bane of my existance, I've got to learn how to constantly apply pressure without predictably jumping in.

Everything you say is true for me at least. Nothing flusters me more than someone who knows how to jump in at that perfect angle where Nash's rather weak main anti-air option (C.MP) can't cover. And it's basically the most reliable defense he has against jump ins.

Yolo Rashids, Karins, Chuns, Kens, Necali (to name a few) give me trouble and literally beat Nash to the punch (pun intended) every time when it comes down to buttons vs buttons.

But with that said, I hate fighting Nash as well. He's pretty scary and can be very explosive out of nowhere.

Durden77

Had some good matches tonight. I feel bad when I have a good match goin and they win one and then I win one but have to leave for whatever reason. I know they're raging.

Went from Ultra Silver all the way down to low Silver when I switched from Nash to Guile. But I'm slowly moving back up as I wrap my head around him in this game.

Been figuring out some CRAZY tight charge windows that can open up some stuff for him. Like in the corner he can actually hit a flash kick off a b.hp crush counter. But the charge window is so small I don't know if I could make it reliable. It would be a nice tool to have though.

I just got my ass handed to me by a lower level guy using 3 different characters against my main.

Jesus, one week off = 90% of my skill down the toilet for me. I think I've seen where I'm going to bounce off this game.

I just got my ass handed to me by a lower level guy using 3 different characters against my main.

Jesus, one week off = 90% of my skill down the toilet for me. I think I've seen where I'm going to bounce off this game.

I thought this would happen to me but I actually got a little better from taking a break. I can all of a sudden hit combos that I struggled with before. It's like my brain needed the rest to wire itself correctly.

SmokeMaxX

I find sometimes my execution gets better after taking a break, but my decision making turns to crap. In a game that most people play as Shimmy Fighter V, I keep trying to throw tech like it's SF4 lol.

Edzi

KOF14 netcode is really making me appreciate SFV more. Really disappointed that it's not better considering how much fun I was having with it.

KOF14 netcode is really making me appreciate SFV more. Really disappointed that it's not better considering how much fun I was having with it.
Watching some twitch play right now, Max is online playing it and wow... It's like every match is underwater.

I almost picked it up today too but I told myself that I need to stick with SFV exclusively with my limited time if I ever hope to become halfway decent at it.

Edzi

Watching some twitch play right now, Max is online playing it and wow... It's like every match is underwater.

I almost picked it up today too but I told myself that I need to stick with SFV exclusively with my limited time if I ever hope to become halfway decent at it.

Yeah, I was surprised at just how bad it was. I tried playing with a buddy of mine who's also in California and it literally just ran in slow motion.

Yeah, I was surprised at just how bad it was. I tried playing with a buddy of mine who's also in California and it literally just ran in slow motion.
Yeah that's too bad. Normally I'd have hope that they could patch it but I'm learning that for a lot of companies, it's either not that easy or it isn't worth the cost/work. I have a feeling that this is what KoF14 will play like for the duration of it's online lifespan.

What part of Cali are you at? I'm in San Diego.

Edzi

Yeah that's too bad. Normally I'd have hope that they could patch it but I'm learning that for a lot of companies, it's either not that easy or it isn't worth the cost/work. I have a feeling that this is what KoF14 will play like for the duration of it's online lifespan.

What part of Cali are you at? I'm in San Diego.

I'm in the Bay Area (East Bay).

I don't understand the praise KOF received from the press.

Most of the press wouldn't know a frame trap from a super combo, yet they're giving KOF rave reviews?

It doesn't offer any mechanical advantage over its predecessors, just some new characters. Except all of the new characters are, like the rest of the cast, realised with a horrible artstyle.

For casuals it offers better tutorials, detailed, but nothing special like Guilty Gear. Story mode is garbage, and the gameplay is for the most part, the same as it always has been (which is a good thing for fans of the series).

What I get from it is that it's largely the same as KOFXIII, but graphically inferior. Sharing all of the games problems too, like poor netcode, and near non-existent story. Unless you're a player that's looking to stay at the forefront of the competitive KOF scene, why play this rather than XIII?

I think I'll just stick with SFV, and maybe GG. Hoping for a new fighting game to come about and shake things up to be honest.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I do feel like you can tell that many reviews are being written by people that have played the game for a while, seen every mode, touched most of the characters and looked at the tutorials, but that's kind of where there knowledge ends. So that leads to the safe bet 8/10 score, because they can see that what's there is decent, but that's about it. What you need to have to get great scores for your fighting game is a decent story mode. That's what the press cares about and where they can mash their way through and if they walk away satisfied you'll get a 9/10 (hello MK).

You have to keep in mind that this happens with pretty much every game ever, though. So for competitive games, classic reviews are useless. Look at CS:GO, it's the exact same thing. I know the game got many updates and got better over time. But for one of the most succesful games in the last 10 years, it got pretty average scores like any mediocre shooter people forget about a week later.

I'm sayin'

And which GG are you talking about? Xrd/Revelator?

Revelator, it has the interactive tutorial and individual character tutorials not only for their combos, but for advice on their playstyles. Also teaches more nuanced mechanics, like option selects and whatnot.

And that there are a few fair reviews out there, but most of them seem to echo the same thing. It's as if they know very little about fighting games so they've just adopted a safe score based on the feature set. I would go as far to suggest that some reviewers most likely looked at scores and overall reception of others (this isn't that uncommon) before publishing theirs, to ensure it wasn't some sort of outlier. It's fine to be an outlier when your presenting a good case for why the game isn't as good as others say, but you can't do that when writing about a game you know very little of.

Pompadour

I do feel like you can tell that many reviews are being written by people that have played the game for a while, seen every mode, touched most of the characters and looked at the tutorials, but that's kind of where there knowledge ends. So that leads to the safe bet 8/10 score, because they can see that what's there is decent, but that's about it. What you need to have to get great scores for your fighting game is a decent story mode. That's what the press cares about and where they can mash their way through and if they walk away satisfied you'll get a 9/10 (hello MK).

You have to keep in mind that this happens with pretty much every game ever, though. So for competitive games, classic reviews are useless. Look at CS:GO, it's the exact same thing. I know the game got many updates and got better over time. But for one of the most succesful games in the last 10 years, it got pretty average scores like any mediocre shooter people forget about a week later.

This is very true. I feel like game reviewers are encouraged, maybe due to public backlash, to just count down features and base their score on relative quantity versus other titles. Reviewers have more leeway with other games where they can criticize the control scheme or feel of the game but if they did that with a popular fighting franchise they'd be told to "git gud" or written off as someone uneducated when it comes to fighting games. So they take the safe way and just do feature set addition and review things they feel more qualified to write about like the graphics or sound design.

But, as I pointed out before, reviews are more for casual players who may pick up a title on a whim. The hardcore generally knows almost exactly how a new fighting game plays before launch. Reviews for fighting games really only shine light on things the developers have tried to hide like lack of content.

I'll never get to silver with Ibuki T_T

Why is her V-gauge 3 stocks instead of a more manageable 2. Why why why. It wouldn't make it op, it'd make it so v-trigger was an actually viable option for her.

Because by design only 3-stock v-gauges are allowed to cancel out of special moves into v-trigger and they wanted that to be integral to her game plan.

Quesa

As someone who's reviewed a lot of fighting games, yeah, it's not an easy beat.

The ideal review would be to "imbed" with the game for a couple months to get more of a feel for its ins and outs. The issue is that by then, most interested people have probably decided whether or not the game is for them. There's also the practical "if you don't post a review within a week or two, you won't get eyes on it." Also, I fear that any review that spent too much time with the game would involve a bit of Stokholm Syndrome -- "Well, I've invested 1000 hours into KOF XIV, and now that I've learned everything there is to know, it's great and everyone should play it!"

As for the feature set thing, yeah, I agree. I recommended SFV despite its lack of content, and I've played about 200 hours of it so far (I'm on the low end of time spent, too, I imagine!) I didn't care there wasn't much to do because what was there was enough to keep me playing. That said, the kind of features MK provides are sometimes fun (Deception is my all-time fave MK despite it being one of the much-maligned 3D games), and feature set is worth pointing out to people who won't have time to commit to a single game.

Skilletor

Like we witnessed in the Frionel stream, KoFXIV netcode is good, just glitchy right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/4zbbcq/psa_good_netcode_on_party_battle/

Seems like nothing a patch can't handle.

I remember having to wait weeks before being able to play against my friends in lobby in SFV, so I won't judge this just yet.

I tried to play ranked for an hour. Literally zero matches were playable. They ran at 15fps.

SF5 has always been playable (for me).

And SNK has no history of good netcode. People keep saying "wait for a patch," but I have no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Skilletor

That's unfortunate to hear. A fighting game without competent netcode nowadays might as well be doa for me.

It looks like I can play local, and we have one of the best KoF scenes in the country, so I'm okay, but, yeah, it sucks that I won't be able to play other friends that aren't in CO. :/

Shame because this feels like the KoF SF5 to me. I know I'm going to love the game.

Shadoken

Gold is the new platinum

Shouldn't it be the other way around? lol.

I have been stuck around the same Rank every since Silver to Gold to Platinum :/ . Feels like am just moving along with the train. By the time I get to Diamond , Grand Master or w/e is next will be the cool thing.

The points seem to slowly increase across the board. Just wait a month and you'll be Platinum with the same skill level.

Yea pretty much. I wonder when we will hit a saturation point.

Is Kof14 even out? Never had any issues with XIII on PC even when the game came out of the beta.

Also I think Lag Switchers /Alt-Tabbers have migrated to Casual. Yesterday I ran into everyone that lags after the first game/round.

Hyun Sai

And SNK has no history of good netcode. People keep saying "wait for a patch," but I have no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

For me, the reason is for the first time I see matches from africa to europe with no delay at all. So it's a huge improvement from before. It's just glitchy right now.

And I thought even the Steam version of XIII was garbage.

At least I'll be able to enjoy party battle from the start when the game is out in my region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AeCS_p3tg

FluxWaveZ

Much better performance than last time. The 3 ex brimstones and wingless on airlegs were pretty sick.
There were many moments where you can see mika's guessing game working against her, heck you lost the last round because of it.

For some reason, I was a lot more tense this week than usual, and that reflected in my playstyle with me freaking out at critical moments. In that last round, for example, I did cr.HP xx V-Trigger > wingless airplane for the cross-up, but why the hell did I call out neutral Nadeshiko? I guess I didn't expect the cross-up to actually work and that he'd be kept in block stun for a bit to let me try something out in the corner but, really, there's no reason to not call out Nadeshiko in my direction when I'm trying something like that in case it hits. I would have won if I hadn't lost my composure.

That last command grab was hella risky. Sometimes in the past, I tried command grabs on Chi-Rithy only for him to avoid them and leave me going "how the hell did you see that coming!?" But, for that one, I knew right before it came out that it was too telegraphed. Ah well.

Still, at least I feel like reaching his level isn't an impossibility anymore. I've gotten way better at getting inside an opponent's head. Gotta work on better confirms and meaty timings.

Top Bottom