• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

DD-11

bro are you sure you aren't the one with terrible Internet? Because it seems like a constant issue for you.

Yeah, I have had almost zero lag or netcode issues. I'll occasionally get a bad match, but nothing like the complaints I've seen here. Even when I play people on the opposite coast it feels good.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, I have had almost zero lag or netcode issues. I'll occasionally get a bad match, but nothing like the complaints I've seen here. Even when I play people on the opposite coast it feels good.
I'm not sure I have it that good, but most of the time things are great. It does feel like lately things have gotten worse though. I hope it's their servers and they fix it.

Skilletor

Well every single Laura Player I encounter have terrible internet.

Even taking into account internet. Just think logically.

There is no way that every single instance of an Air to Air guarantees you a command grab.

1. You can jump.
2. Different air to airs will result in different reactions and frame data when you land.

And yeah, the problem is obviously you. You make posts that show a flawed comprehension of situational choices and every post you complain about the netcode.

But of course you'll rebut with "But it works in other games" (which is weird since you said KoF13's netcode gave you no problems on steam...lololol @ athat) so...there's really no conversation to be had here.

myco666

Everyone has those days. I recommend either just taking a break from the game or just play casual. I find playing casual for a couple of days help me play better in ranked.

Usually I take a break immediately I lose in Ranked since I know it won't get better. I guess I just got too greedy when I was so close to Gold league that I didn't want to stop. Oh well just need to get over all this salt.

Anybody want to comment on my Ryu? I feel like these are sets where I play at my best. Really need to improve my AA game which is pretty much nonexistent still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4n2x0Y-TJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Ue0K6SWME

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So my Karin execution on the Orochi combos returned! I realized I just had to slow myself down. I still get a little too anxious in matches but I've done well to keep my inputs neat overall. Karin is officially my true main now. Let's see if Urien takes me away. I have dabbled with Juri but all I can think is that using her takes me away from practicing Karin BnB's/set-ups.

You guys are ignoring the biggest flaw in your arguments. There are a huge range of speed in tbe US. 100ms of lag is unplayable and the it doesn't help that I get matched with people in the Caribbean, South America, Asia and even Africa.There is no way to set the region limit and limmiting ping and the current bar setting doesn't work. A laggy player will show 5 bars.

Saying its just the person is rediclous when its obvious that this game has issues long after the release with Capcom being quite about it.

LakeEarth

Was 2 wins away from Gold league and then I just started losing like crazy. I lost 700 points and am barely at Super Silver now.

God I am so frustrated at this game right now. I feel like I have made no progress at all during the last three months. No matter how many hours I put into trying to understand how to play the game I just don't get better.
I was at 3999bp before going on a tough losing streak. Sometimes you just gotta stop playing and come back later refreshed.

Skilletor

You guys are ignoring the biggest flaw in your arguments. There are a huge range of speed in tbe US. 100ms of lag is unplayable and the it doesn't help that I get matched with people in the Caribbean, South America, Asia and even Africa.There is no way to set the region limit and limmiting ping and the current bar setting doesn't work. A laggy player will show 5 bars.

Saying its just the person is rediclous when its obvious that this game has issues long after the release with Capcom being quite about it.

Nobody said the game doesn't have problems.

You talk as if EVERY SINGLE MATCH you have is unplayable.

When EVERY SINGLE MATCH is bad, there's only one common denominator.

mbpm1

Nobody said the game doesn't have problems.

You talk as if EVERY SINGLE MATCH you have is unplayable.

When EVERY SINGLE MATCH is bad, there's only one common denominator.

Well he does exaggerate.

I mean, apparently every other fighting game has zero issues for him.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Where do you live? Do you get matched with people from other countries a) most of the time, b) some of the time, or c) rarely?

JayEH

Usually I take a break immediately I lose in Ranked since I know it won't get better. I guess I just got too greedy when I was so close to Gold league that I didn't want to stop. Oh well just need to get over all this salt.

Anybody want to comment on my Ryu? I feel like these are sets where I play at my best. Really need to improve my AA game which is pretty much nonexistent still.

lmao the end of the first set. the dude must be so salty he didn't super to kill you. you have a solid ryu. you should practice that glorious jab AA though. i would also recommend maybe mixing up what you do on knockdowns.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Connections are connections. A lot of variables go into it. My complaint is the down time between the matches. It's absolutely mind numbing how long the wait can be sometimes.

Durden77

Any Guile players want to tell me what the most reliable way to beat Vega's Flying Barcelona Attack is? c.hp and Flash Kick are both just barley out of range.

Jump back fierce seems to be the best option for him right now, but I'm not sure. I wish Guile had something like Nash's j.mp or neutral j.hk...

I only watched the first set which was the mirror match against another Ryu. I'm not going to say the usual like "you need to stop jumping" or "you need to anti air better". I still do that stuff, the better you get you'll jump less and anti air better. That will come in time. A couple things I do want to point out though.

-You spent meter unnecessarily a few times. EX tatsu does the same damage as HP DP except it cost meter. It also sends your opponent flying far away so it didn't give you the same opportunity to pressure. In the first round of the first match when your opponent dropped his combo. You landed a pretty good punish, but EX tatsu basically reset the situation and gave him room to breathe. It left you having to try and mount a comeback without putting him in a scary position.

IMO I think Ryu players should only finish with SRK in the corner and use tatsu mid screen so they can set up meaty, shimmy, or go for a jump. Even then I use LK tatsu a lot in the corner for a jump in set up. But if you just rather zone then SRK or EX tatsu(when you'r opponent is crouching) is ideal.

-Another thing is that you used st. LK into cr. MK a lot. I know the idea, I use it as well. You're negative after st. LK but your opponent is a little late to pressing buttons so you landed CH cr. MK a bunch of times. But you're doing this at a pretty close range so you could have landed CH st. MP instead and confirm that into sweep. It does more damage by itself and even more with the sweep tacked on plus you get a knockdown.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Connections are connections. A lot of variables go into it. My complaint is the down time between the matches. It's absolutely mind numbing how long the wait can be sometimes.
I'm convinced that it can time out. I occasionally press Start to "reset" it and will find a match shortly after doing that.

SmokeMaxX

Are any of these guys top level players? I don't recognize any of the names but I'm still new here.

That's my pool tomorrow at Absolute Battle. It'd be nice to not go 0-2, but eh. #bronzelife

ICE was at one point ranked within the top 30 players in the world online. Now he's at least Diamond and probably higher. Jayto and Sleep are solid players in other games; not sure how they are in SFV.

Any Guile players want to tell me what the most reliable way to beat Vega's Flying Barcelona Attack is? c.hp and Flash Kick are both just barley out of range.

Jump back fierce seems to be the best option for him right now, but I'm not sure. I wish Guile had something like Nash's j.mp or neutral j.hk...

j.MP has Guile's best air-to-air hitbox, and is his farthest reaching air normal, even more than j.MK (weirdly). I played a Vega the other day and was completely shutting him down with it.

Durden77

j.MP has Guile's best air-to-air hitbox, and is his farthest reaching air normal, even more than j.MK (weirdly). I played a Vega the other day and was completely shutting him down with it.

Huh, weird. I assumed j.mk obviously reached farther, and I tried using it against Vega with mixed results. I will mess with j.mp tonight, thanks.

I haven't had a single laggy match since The Boot Incident from last week's GAF lobby matches. 90% of all the online battles I play are flawless and I can't say that about any other fighting game not called Killer Instinct.

Skilletor

I haven't had a single laggy match since The Boot Incident from last week's GAF lobby matches. 90% of all the online battles I play are flawless and I can't say that about any other fighting game not called Killer Instinct.

I played up to Gold in ranked, and that was about my ratio of good to bad. Now I just do gaffers and friends and it's great 95% of the time.

Kikirin

Can someone explain meaties in the context of when your opponent is knocked down? Since the opponent has many ways to wake up (backroll, jab, quick rise, delayed rise, reversal, grab) how do you "set up" meaties? I have one for quick rise but I get beat with a delayed rise and then thrown.

The responses given to this so far give a pretty good start, and I'll elaborate on them some more below. But generally speaking, it's possible to structure your entire oki sequence such that you only need to worry about reversal vs non-reversal options.

The main things to consider are:
  • Wakeup jab, grab, armor (except for frame 1 ones), and jump can all be stuffed with a proper strike meaty that hits on the first frame or two after they're off the ground, due to 3f minimum startup on all those.
  • For quick rise vs backroll, both options can be covered with if your character has a normal with 4 active frames. Having an attack with 3 active frames also works for characters lacking a 3f normal. This tweet charts the theory behind how it works: https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/710127488605802499 Multihit moves with low startup between the hits work as well.
  • As for no recovery vs.quick or back recovery: the difference between quick rise and no recovery is typically either 49 or 59 frames. This gives ample time to transition into a second oki setup when the first one whiffs.
  • For reversal vs non-reversal, safe jumps generally aren't going to be an option unless you call out a no recovery. You'll likely have to make a hard read, barring character-specific tools that might make reversals whiff. Whiffing normals can make the bait juicier though, especially if the opponent knows you're using those to time your oki.
  • As an addendum, this is what makes throws and crush counter sweeps so strong - they remove options that vary the opponent's wakeup timing.
TOOLASSISTED's oki tool is pretty invaluable in providing all the info you'd need to create your oki strings: http://toolassisted.github.io/OKI/

So to put all of it together in an example, here's an example oki setup that I might use for FANG after cr.hk:

Knockdown durations: 20f quick, 25f back, 69 full

Phase 1:
coward kick (cr.ppp~k): 12+30f duration.

Phase 2:
st.mk (22f duration), cr.mk

Coward kick has a fastest startup of 22f. This will stuff all options after a quick recovery except those with no frame-1 armor or invincibility. Additionally, the second hit will connect on frame 27 which will stuff the same options out of a backroll recovery. On block, I will still be +2 to continue pressure, and on hit, I can confirm into a combo.

If the opponent doesn't recover, then the whiffed coward kick burned 42f of the 69 for the full knockdown duration, leaving 27 frames left to kill. st.mk whiff kills 22 of those, and using a cr.mk (7f startup) directly after will hit on frame 71. This will also stuff non-armored/invincible reversals. On block, I will still be +2 to continue pressure, and on hit, I can confirm into a combo.

myco666

Decided to go back to Ranked and try to get back to Ultra Silver. Well that didn't go that well. Dropped to 2500lp but managed to climb back to Super Silver though so damage wasn't that bad. Really need to stop Ranked for today before I drop back to Bronze.

I was at 3999bp before going on a tough losing streak. Sometimes you just gotta stop playing and come back later refreshed.

Man that sounds rough.

lmao the end of the first set. the dude must be so salty he didn't super to kill you. you have a solid ryu. you should practice that glorious jab AA though. i would also recommend maybe mixing up what you do on knockdowns.

Yeah I got really lucky there. I usually panic at those situations but I managed to pull through.

That jab AA is ridiculous. Really need to learn it and yeah I go for same stuff after knockdowns but that just how bad my brain works lol.

I only watched the first set which was the mirror match against another Ryu. I'm not going to say the usual like "you need to stop jumping" or "you need to anti air better". I still do that stuff, the better you get you'll jump less and anti air better. That will come in time. A couple things I do want to point out though.

-You spent meter unnecessarily a few times. EX tatsu does the same damage as HP DP except it cost meter. It also sends your opponent flying far away so it didn't give you the same opportunity to pressure. In the first round of the first match when your opponent dropped his combo. You landed a pretty good punish, but EX tatsu basically reset the situation and gave him room to breathe. It left you having to try and mount a comeback without putting him in a scary position.

IMO I think Ryu players should only finish with SRK in the corner and use tatsu mid screen so they can set up meaty, shimmy, or go for a jump. Even then I use LK tatsu a lot in the corner for a jump in set up. But if you just rather zone then SRK or EX tatsu(when you'r opponent is crouching) is ideal.

-Another thing is that you used st. LK into cr. MK a lot. I know the idea, I use it as well. You're negative after st. LK but your opponent is a little late to pressing buttons so you landed CH cr. MK a bunch of times. But you're doing this at a pretty close range so you could have landed CH st. MP instead and confirm that into sweep. It does more damage by itself and even more with the sweep tacked on plus you get a knockdown.

I really don't know why I go for EX Tatsus so often. I know that the regular Tatsus would be way better in order to keep pressure but I still go for it. Really need to stop it if the damage isn't worth it.

Hmm... Didn't even think about that st.MP thing. Just wanted to go for his knees but yeah that sounds something I should try out.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm convinced that it can time out. I occasionally press Start to "reset" it and will find a match shortly after doing that.

I just restart matchmaking. I've left it alone for really long periods of time and not gotten matches. it will go from connecting back to searching several times in a row. Who knows though. I usually play really late at night so that could have something to do with it as well.

Kashiwaba

Take a break from ranked and play casual for a while it helps you to get used to the level of players around yor range .

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Take a break from ranked and play casual for a while it helps you to get used to the level of players around yor range .
I've been too cowardly for ranked for a good while and matchmaking has been good for me skill wise, but I can't help but wonder if I only do so well in casual because people are less likely to be playing their mains and I only play one character.

myco666

Don't know about that. Lot of matches are not against main characters. Even when they are there are no points on the line so they might not give their all and try new stuff they are not familiar and most importantly my hands don't start to shake like crazy in Casuals. I play much more relaxed and better in Casuals compared to Ranked.

Kashiwaba

I've been too cowardly for ranked for a good while and matchmaking has been good for me skill wise, but I can't help but wonder if I only do so well in casual because people are less likely to be playing their mains and I only play one character.

If it's not their main your can tell especially at higher leagues and ya it's less challenging since there ate no points to lose but still good to get accustomed to the skill level.

the biggest problem i have is that the bars lie. i'm getting matched swiftly but it seems everyone has a chance to sneak in regardless of my settings.

Is this game dead? can't find a single match ranked or casual.

i don't think so. but kof is out now so a good few are probably busy with that for a while.

JayEH

If it's not their main your can tell especially at higher leagues and ya it's less challenging since there ate no points to lose but still good to get accustomed to the skill level.

I agree with this. It's better to get eased into a new rank then have to go in all in with the points right away.

vulva

Watch the last WNF, a really good Juri got 2nd, beating quite a few known players. Also, Alex Valle streams a lot playing her.

I don't think she's bad tbh. She might be the best DLC character.

Oh nice, he got 2nd? I played him a bunch in casuals that night and was going pretty even with him after awhile. He's really good though, still clearly a better player than me. That's cool he did so well.

Top Bottom