• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

He's got that classic syndrome of "I cant wait for the next ver, its gon be better so i can be good". Cant wait for Super, cant wait for AE, cant wait for 2012, cant wait for SFV SF4 is trash.

He's probably like "cant wait for Urien then I'll be good"

you'll never be good with that attitude

Can confirm.

I was saying "can't wait for Balrog and Urien" but Balrog came and I still ain't shit so I just went back to Gief. I doubt things will go much better with Urien

Zackat

If it wasn't for Mike Ross and PogChamp (to a much, much lesser extent) where would Gootecks be now?

dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png

Zackat

mike straight up stole cross counter format for Pro Talk, but Goo cant say shit cuz mike still his lifeline. Its either this or more struggle tutorial dvds

yeah that's true. If you take Mike away from either of those shows nobody would really give a damn anymore lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If it wasn't for Mike Ross and PogChamp (to a much, much lesser extent) where would Gootecks be now?

dbd57bcbb3fff7245025a39061012200.png
I think those training sessions are going pretty well for him and Mike's not involved with those. I'm actually surprised he's not doing them in Europe and Asia, too.

If Gootecks didn't start the whole thing as a local tournament organizer, web designer, streamer and podcast host and pick up Mike Ross, where would Mike Ross be now? Mike Ross and Steve are basically Gootecks' video production crew, I don't know why everybody always thinks Mike is the crux of the whole thing.

Zackat

I think those training sessions are going pretty well for him and Mike's not involved with those. I'm actually surprised he's not doing them in Europe and Asia, too.
that's true. he has like a whole network of dudes now doing too, yeah? Like justin, kbrad, all of them?
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215277402]If Gootecks didn't start the whole thing as a local tournament organizer, web designer, streamer and podcast host and pick up Mike Ross, where would Mike Ross be now? Mike Ross and Steve are basically Gootecks' video production crew, I don't know why everybody always thinks Mike is the crux of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

It was a crude, not well thought out joke that wasn't supposed to be some deep thing. I am not some FGC OG that knows everything behind the scenes. I watched a lot of his stuff to help me when I was a noob, I appreciate his content. But since I have been more into the FGC I hear and watch more about Mike than I do Gootecks is all. Especially since he has been struggling in tournaments lately. Truly, I hope he does well with Urien because America is free and all that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215277402]If Gootecks didn't start the whole thing as a local tournament organizer, web designer, streamer and podcast host and pick up Mike Ross, where would Mike Ross be now? Mike Ross and Steve are basically Gootecks' video production crew, I don't know why everybody always thinks Mike is the crux of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing because Mike regularly commentates big events, hosts a show and overall appears to have more going on in his life.

Gootecks is still a tournament player and that's all we really see from him on the surface.

I have a few friends who have wanted to improve and signed up for lessons. The first one is done through CCT but then the trainer usually sets something up off-site

Win/win for trainer and trainee as trainer doesn't have to split up money and the trainee pays less.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I have a few friends who have wanted to improve and signed up for lessons. The first one is done through CCT but then the trainer usually sets something up off-site

Win/win for trainer and trainee as trainer split up money and the trainee pays less.
That sounds fishy af lol

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Dudes don't remember the Denjin arcade podcast days.

FluxWaveZ

Always found that lesson stuff weird. Have people notably improved after taking them? I don't think I would get much from them, personally.

Time is money.

Set an insane price to deter most people from wasting your time and for the very few that have that expendable money, you just made a percentage of $100 by doing nothing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Demand must be there since prices have gone up. It's expensive, but if people are buying it, who cares.

Also, I find my new favorite type of player. Those that learned to mash jab in every decisive situation. I can test all my meaty-setups and rounds last 10 seconds sometimes.

Always found that lesson stuff weird. Have people notably improved after taking them? I don't think I would get much from them, personally.

Varies based on the person.

If you sign up thinking getting an hour lesson from F. Champ is going to make you win your locals easily then no you won't benefit. You need to be in the lab and have the dedication to improve and have their knowledge supplement that.

It's like going to a sports camp

Whales

Banned
Demand must be there since prices have gone up. It's expensive, but if people are buying it, who cares.

Also, I find my new favorite type of player. Those that learned to mash jab in every decisive situation. I can test all my meaty-setups and rounds last 10 seconds sometimes.

who needs a jab in those situations when you can DP instead

lol

Sigmaah

Shit nigga lemme start a training program for 20 an hour. I reached platinum so I gotta be doing something right.

You seriously don't have to pay anything to get better. Literally just watch videos, go to training mode, then try to apply what u are specifically trying to learn into a real match. Doesn't matter if u get bopped just try to practice what you wanna improve on, improve, then go on to the next thing you wanna improve on.

Battle lounges are your best friend son. That's how you improve on who you play, that's how you improve on matchups, then bam you've improved.

Shits not gonna happen overnight. I feel like I finally got a general grasp of things after like a year or more (I started playing fighting games srsly with marvel 3)

I'm the nigga who had trouble getting out of silver for a hot minute. Next thing you know bam here I am at almost super plat. I don't even play as much as others do.

150 an hour?? Yeah, I think I'll just sit in training mode and youtube some top players lol

That method doesn't work for everyone though which is where this comes into play. It's mainly for those who don't know how to get better. Those that don't understand the importance of the neutral and correct spacing or knowing that when someone gets into a certain range not to throw a fireball because they can jump in for free, this is something they can't learn by just watching top players.

Moaradin

yeah that's true. If you take Mike away from either of those shows nobody would really give a damn anymore lol

We've seen this on Cross Counter when Mike left to do his own thing and Gootecks posted mostly tutorials and crappy DJ shit and nobody cared.

Coda

Like anything with multiple lessons you can definitely improve your game by having the knowledge and the hands on advice of knowing how and when you need to adapt your playstyle. Lessons can help in that regard, especially having someone directly tell you something you may not have known or brought to the forefront of your mind; awareness is key. I only took one lesson once to learn something specific to my game when I mained Guy in SSFIV. Justin helped me develop a few new tactics and options when I fought against some of the YOLO characters like Blanka.

You don't need no lesson to get good at fighting game lol. Just time and patience. Also ability to understand and correct your mistakes. But mostly just practice and play time. That's really all you need. It helps if you have the natural talent for the game. Can grasp things faster or have naturally good reaction time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I honestly think I could've skipped a year or two of improvement if I had someone knowledgeable explain stuff to me. It's why I would love to go to a weekly.

But that would take a few hours, though.

Coda

You don't need no lesson to get good at fighting game lol. Just time and patience. Also ability to understand and correct your mistakes. But mostly just practice and play time. That's really all you need. It helps if you have the natural talent for the game. Can grasp things faster or have naturally good reaction time.

Yeah no one needs a lesson but saying it doesn't help is wrong, it can make you see things faster and clearer. It's really for the people who don't have locals they can go to and improve, or having a sparring partner who is in their same skill range.

Shit nigga lemme start a training program for 20 an hour. I reached platinum so I gotta be doing something right.

You seriously don't have to pay anything to get better. Literally just watch videos, go to training mode, then try to apply what u are specifically trying to learn into a real match. Doesn't matter if u get bopped just try to practice what you wanna improve on, improve, then go on to the next thing you wanna improve on.

Battle lounges are your best friend son. That's how you improve on who you play, that's how you improve on matchups, then bam you've improved.

Shits not gonna happen overnight. I feel like I finally got a general grasp of things after like a year or more (I started playing fighting games srsly with marvel 3)

I'm the nigga who had trouble getting out of silver for a hot minute. Next thing you know bam here I am at almost super plat. I don't even play as much as others do.

Having a coach helps though, I have a friend who's pretty scrubby, but I've helped him improve a lot simply by using voice chat during our matches, sure you can watch videos, but having someone actually giving you pointers helps a lot.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You don't need to pay to learn anything but if you have zero framework or knowledge then it will impede your ability to learn through practice. It's easier to learn from your mistakes if you know what to pay attention to.

Is there someone here with a PC SFV with the name Fighter ID/CFN of StuntDouble?, keep getting battle lounge requests and I have no idea who they are. Also I haven't played the game in ages, how did they know I was playing it now? Is there now a PC website that tells you when specific players are online?

ShinMaruku

Another misleading thing is people thinking those are the best people to teach you, often times those people can be very poor teachers.

ShinMaruku

Consultants who get paid hourly for short term engagements charge a lot. Converting it to annual/40 hours a week doesn't really make sense.

Of course I know some who do stuff for $400 a hour for a few weeks outta the year.

But I don't think the value of what they are proposing is worth that that much. Kbrad's rate is sensible.

Whales

Banned
Another misleading thing is people thinking those are the best people to teach you, often times those people can be very poor teachers.

which is probably why gootecks is more expensive than jwong , xian or anyone else

He's pretty good at teaching fundamentals

lupinko

Has anyone bought that CPT bundle? I'm thinking about buying it relatively soon.

They haven't announced the mystery costume yet right?

Top Bottom