• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

mbpm1

This is true but everyone knows that Urien isn't actually showing up until the last few possible days of September.

And we'll be lucky if they give us an actual date during TGS.

Well yes, but info usually comes at the second week, if any info comes at all.

That's the mixup

The struggle of learning a stick after years of pad play is real. I'm currently using a square gate stick, and struggle with inputting motions during combos. Any tips i can use to improve my play?

Edzi

The struggle of learning a stick after years of pad play is real. I'm currently using a square gate stick, and struggle with inputting motions during combos. Any tips i can use to improve my play?

Practice practice practice. You'll get used to it soon enough.

Practice practice practice. You'll get used to it soon enough.

I got a mayflash, with the intention of getting sanwa buttons within the month. I main Balrog, but are there any other charge characters that aren't motion reliant in SFV? Im thinking about picking up chun as well.

If you don't do it already, instead of using a quarter circle motion on your stick, treat it like a d-pad and press down then forward for your hadokens.

If you already do that, just keep doing it and you'll just get use to it.

Overall. Practice makes perfect, and at some point you'll be just as good with sticks as you are with pads.

Edzi

I got a mayflash, with the intention of getting sanwa buttons within the month. I main Balrog, but are there any other charge characters that aren't motion reliant in SFV? Im thinking about picking up chun as well.

Guile is the only pure charge character, I think.

If you don't do it already, instead of using a quarter circle motion on your stick, treat it like a d-pad and press down then forward for your hadokens.

If you already do that, just keep doing it and you'll just get use to it.

Overall. Practice makes perfect, and at some point you'll be just as good with sticks as you are with pads.
Thanks for the advice, there's a dpad setting on the stick. I've been doing the whole motion the entire time.

MrDaravon

Decide to get on for the first time in at least a month tonight (work has been super fucked for me lately). Bear in mind I'm super proud of the fact I had hit Ultra Bronze when I last played, I am super scrub.

First match I get is a ranked match against TorontoTopTiers3 who is on a 25 win streak lol. I took a round I totally didn't deserve in the two games we played, but I'm proud that I at least didn't run with the points! I wonder who was playing on there, was a pretty good Birdie.

Edit: For the life of me I still don't understand why I struggle so goddamn much in the Chun vs Bison matchup; everyone says it's free for Chun, but I NEVER win it. I just played a Bison who clearly had almost no idea what he was doing and was obviously fucking up move inputs and he still 2-0'd me. I don't know what my problem is -_-.

myco666

So I tried Extreme Survival the first time just now and got to 68. Capcom please do something about this mode. Add continues and 10 stage skips to be purchaseable, take away the idiotic RNG element of it and give players always a small health boost after finishing a stage.

I seriously do not know how people reach Gold and not know how to tech.
giphy.gif

Ultra Gold here, I almost never tech. First someone has to show me that they're going to keep going for throws. When I see that they're willing to, I will use DP instead of a throw tech. After getting crush countered twice and dizzied and still being alive then I might finally just try to tech.

Funny thing is that I run into a lot of people that prefer this method for the wake up game. They hey'll DP, wake up jab, or block but they're not going to tech. Outside of the corner I don't find throws to be scary at all. From what I've seen most characters get a meaty, and even if they're plus frames they're not right next to me so the pressure isn't scary.

SmokeMaxX

I seriously do not know how people reach Gold and not know how to tech.
giphy.gif
If a Bison gets me in that spot, I'm probably getting thrown. Been kneed in the face too many times to throw tech there. Fortunately there's a huge difference between a good Bison who can place his dashes appropriately and a not so good one who just dashes randomly.

Gotta build muscle memory and the only way to do that is practice, practice, and practice some more.

Learned some basics with mika and I didn't know just how strong she was.

cr lk is +1

What? Meaning I can hit someone with a well spaced cr lk, do a little shimmy, then well spaced cr hp for instant derp derp mika pressure. This is crazy.

I guarantee they nerf cr lk for season 2.

That's nothing. Her F.HP is +3 on block and her Irish Whip hitbox is huge to the point it can hit between the empty space of a move.

That's nothing. Her F.HP is +3 on block and her Irish Whip hitbox is huge to the point it can hit between the empty space of a move.

Lady mika barely has any range, and a 10 frame startup, it needs to be + afterwards otherwise there is no point in ever using it.
Like, chun's stHP is -3, but the range on it is insane so she can just poke you with it whereas lady mika can only be used if you're standing right next to your opponent, if it was minus or neutral on block it would just end her pressure if you used it, making it pointless since she'd have better options if she was actually that close to you.

Producer

Ultra Gold here, I almost never tech. First someone has to show me that they're going to keep going for throws. When I see that they're willing to, I will use DP instead of a throw tech. After getting crush countered twice and dizzied and still being alive then I might finally just try to tech.

Funny thing is that I run into a lot of people that prefer this method for the wake up game. They hey'll DP, wake up jab, or block but they're not going to tech. Outside of the corner I don't find throws to be scary at all. From what I've seen most characters get a meaty, and even if they're plus frames they're not right next to me so the pressure isn't scary.

I feel like if you're going to tech, you might as well jump back tech.

- J - D -

I have found that I am winning more with cammy than Ibuki. I am not happy about this.

Also, I managed to finish survival on hard for the first time...with chun. Turns out that for the first 40 levels, the cpu has no idea how to defend against Chun's amazing s.Hp. the final ten levels I had to be more careful, but it wasn't too bad.

I don't ever wanna do that again.

So I tried Extreme Survival the first time just now and got to 68. Capcom please do something about this mode. Add continues and 10 stage skips to be purchaseable, take away the idiotic RNG element of it and give players always a small health boost after finishing a stage.

That kind of defeats the point of survival. And you get to buy health at the end of each stage. That's more than most survival modes will give you.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why are you still playing survival? Especially when we know the colors are going to be made available soon?

The hardest survival doesn't even award colors. FM is the only reason to do it, and if you value your time in any way whatsoever, you're better off just spending the cash equivalent of that FM.

That kind of defeats the point of survival. And you get to buy health at the end of each stage. That's more than most survival modes will give you.

I do wonder if Capcom will make some changes to survival mode but I'd have to imagine they would lower the FM payout as well. If it's easier, then it should be worth less.

I think the ideal solution is to find a way to make it similarly hard but much, much shorter.

myco666

Why are you still playing survival? Especially when we know the colors are going to be made available soon?

Need that FM and trophy from Extreme Survival. Also definitely not going to spend any money on colors.

I remember few survival modes giving you set amount of health back after every round. I get that it kinda defeats the point of survival but honestly considering how BS the AI is in this game I think it would be fair. Especially on the Extreme.

Stage 89 Karin just made my last hour a total waste. Seriously this mode is going to kill my soul.

If you are going to do extreme survival, just use ken and spam mp DP for 45mins.

The payout is 20,000, 1/5th of the price of a character. The equivalent of $1.20. How many hours are you willing to spend not having fun to earn $1.20?

It's going to be a bit more than that, extreme surival gains you about 5 levelups as well (if the character is sub30), which is another 5k FM.

myco666

The payout is 20,000, 1/5th of the price of a character. The equivalent of $1.20. How many hours are you willing to spend not having fun to earn $1.20?

Oh I know it is stupid as hell and not worth it but I really need that trophy since it is the last one I need (the 1million FM will come eventually if I just keep playing). Yes I have a problem and I've spent multiple hours on something that isn't fun in anyway just to get a trophy multiple times. Nothing new to me.

If you are going to do extreme survival, just use ken and spam mp DP for 45mins.

I always get blown up when I try that. I get much better results by going constantly for crossups.

It's pretty guaranteed imo, you just have to keep doing it, in later stages you need to get them in the corner asap after the first knockdown.
Even if the next hit will kill you, never stop the mp dp.

myco666

Are you using the MP DP?

Yep and sometimes AI just keeps blocking it and gets hit by it but sometimes I get punished from using that tactic and hard. Crossups are much safer and getting j.mk > st.mp > cr.hp > h.srk combo deals so much more damage than getting occasional srk in.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's pretty guaranteed imo, you just have to keep doing it, in later stages you need to get them in the corner asap after the first knockdown.
Even if the next hit will kill you, never stop the mp dp.
Whether it is guaranteed or not is not a matter of opinion. It definitely doesn't work every time, so the question is, how many times are you willing to try it knowing that when it fails, you could have done something smarter?

If you mean it's guaranteed to work eventually, maybe it is, but how many trials will it take? How much of your leisure time?

Dunno I've done it twice and succeeded twice while barely paying attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, the key was always to get them in the corner.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to record a video of the game punishing me for ragequits when the matches had already ended. A bit of a shame as surely people often share clips after a match; the last thing Capcom should be punishing is people promoting their game.

https://youtu.be/f1zpo3KlYn4?t=924
It synchs with the server after a match and that's where you shut it down. I agree that it's stupid to get punished for that but...just don't risk it and go back to the menu to be safe.

I managed to record a video of the game punishing me for ragequits when the matches had already ended. A bit of a shame as surely people often share clips after a match; the last thing Capcom should be punishing is people promoting their game.

https://youtu.be/f1zpo3KlYn4?t=924

Yeah the share feature suspending the game screws with the system in place (not saying the system in place is good or anything). There was a post on reddit about this exact problem.

Top Bottom