• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Edzi

Yeah, absolutely. Any reaction to the PC survival mod makes very little sense imo. The PS4 exploit immediately raised flags and seemed so much worse and once people were saying they unlocked premium stuff with it, I knew Capcom was going to do something.

I got KOF13 through a bundle a while back and I thought about installing it to mess around with but someone said that KOFXIV was likely more like older KOF games than 13? Is it worth messing around with?

Them apparently patching out the 1 round survival mod says to me that they won't go further with punishing those who used it before. Anything going forward could potentially be punished though imo.

Xeteh

Yup! Happy with how I played. Having a lot of fun.

Met a couple people that evo was their first tourney. Invited them to our room later to get more games in.

Usually after a tourney, I want to take a break, but this game I just want to play more.

Aw shit, orgy in Skilletor's room!

I want to come play. :(

Totally worth it, it's a very awesome game.

Alright, its downloading. Since you're twisting my arm.

Mizerman

Yup! Happy with how I played. Having a lot of fun.

Met a couple people that evo was their first tourney. Invited them to our room later to get more games in.

Usually after a tourney, I want to take a break, but this game I just want to play more.

Heh. Sounds like you're having a blast.

Shito

My fighting game group pretty much wrote it off because of the mechanic always thought it was very dumb of them to be honest.
Yeah it received a lot of bad criticisms from people who didn't even tried to understand how it really worked, but between that and the universal options (overhead, reversal, roll, sweep), I found that ASW did a lot to appeal both to fighting games enthusiasts and casual ones, and with some clever mechanics. Some players only saw this as a way to "dumb down" the game, while in reality it was some pretty elegant way to mesh both worlds together, since neither of these options were useless to "good" players, and they helped beginners in doing "cool" things, without giving them unearned wins.
P4A was quite an underrated game I think. The fact that it was a license probably didn't help players to take it too seriously, and these mechanics, when taken at point value and when not studying them a bit, only helped reinforce the idea that this was one of those other Hokuto no Ken crazy ASW side project...

Xeteh

Yeah it received a lot of bad criticisms from people who didn't even tried to understand how it really worked, but between that and the universal options (overhead, reversal, roll, sweep), I found that ASW did a lot to appeal both to fighting games enthusiasts and casual ones, and with some clever mechanics. Some players only saw this as a way to "dumb down" the game, while in reality it was some pretty elegant way to mesh both worlds together, since neither of these options were useless to "good" players, and they helped beginners in doing "cool" things, without giving them unearned wins.
P4A was quite an underrated game I think. The fact that it was a license probably didn't help players to take it too seriously, and these mechanics, when taken at point value and when not studying them a bit, only helped reinforce the idea that this was one of those other Hokuto no Ken crazy ASW on side project...

I played a shitload of P4A (1 more than 2) and even played a fair bit of online. I did infinitely better online in the first game than the sequel though, I got up to A rank in the first game but just kept getting annihilated in Ultimax. I wasn't being cheesy, played Yukiko pretty much exclusively. She was so much fucking fun in that game.

Yeah, absolutely. Any reaction to the PC survival mod makes very little sense imo. The PS4 exploit immediately raised flags and seemed so much worse and once people were saying they unlocked premium stuff with it, I knew Capcom was going to do something.

I got KOF13 through a bundle a while back and I thought about installing it to mess around with but someone said that KOFXIV was likely more like older KOF games than 13? Is it worth messing around with?

The game is a lot of fun personally and it is one of my favorite games from last gen. I wish it would have stuck around longer. I think that 98 and 02 may be more "like" 14 but getting good with 13 will help you as well it has a pretty decent execution barrier that will make you better at FGs overall IMO.

Guys, if you having an issue downloading the update, use a LAN cord to download it. For some reason, some internet connections don't play nice with Capcom's updates in-game.

Shito

I played a shitload of P4A (1 more than 2) and even played a fair bit of online. I did infinitely better online in the first game than the sequel though, I got up to A rank in the first game but just kept getting annihilated in Ultimax. I wasn't being cheesy, played Yukiko pretty much exclusively. She was so much fucking fun in that game.
Yeah, I played 1 a looooot, got an A rank Elizabeth online and had a lot of fun in casual rooms nearly every day.
Never played Ultimax much, though: they completely changed Elizabeth and I was not interested in what they've made of her. And I didn't have the heart to learn another character, but I would probably have played Margaret haha.

Xeteh

Yeah, I played 1 a looooot, got an A rank Elizabeth online and had a lot of fun in casual rooms nearly every day.
Never played Ultimax much, though: they completely changed Elizabeth and I was not interested in what they've made of her. And I didn't have the heart to learn another character, but I would probably have played Margaret haha.

I played a lot of Elizabeth locally in 1, she was so much fun too. I didn't know they changed her in Ultimax though. I didn't play much Margaret by virtue of not playing Ultimax much but she was pretty interesting. Junpei and Yukari were pretty rad too.

Man the Persona 4 Arena games are awesome, brb plugging in my PS3.

Just caught up with the SFV DLC news and well: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's no way to defend any of this on any level. It feels like there is one completely deaf higher up making all of these fucking terrible decisions because I refuse to believe that a large number of people come up with stuff and think "Yeah, this is a good idea and people won't at all be angry at us".

Capcom started to get some kind of goodwill back with the story update, but then they just completely flush it down the drain. Incredibly frustrating

『Inaba Resident』;210126147 said:

There's no way to defend any of this on any level. It feels like there is one completely deaf higher up making all of these fucking terrible decisions because I refuse to believe that a large number of people come up with stuff and think "Yeah, this is a good idea and people won't at all be angry at us".

Capcom started to get some kind of goodwill back with the story update, but then they just completely flush it down the drain. Incredibly frustrating

Capcpom over the last 13 years has been "smart talented underlings, incompetant greedy leadership"; this is merely continuing that trend.

They don't have to physically go through anything though, they could just write a simple script that does it for them; just have it check the timing of the rewards.

Better make sure that "simple script" gets everything 100% right. Much easier said than done.
Which is probably why they tweeted that they were going to flag accounts for review. Then let the reviewer determine what needed to be done.

Shito

I played a lot of Elizabeth locally in 1, she was so much fun too. I didn't know they changed her in Ultimax though. I didn't play much Margaret by virtue of not playing Ultimax much but she was pretty interesting. Junpei and Yukari were pretty rad too.

Man the Persona 4 Arena games are awesome, brb plugging in my PS3.
Yeah, really loved Elizabeth's archetype: having a character being able to control so much of the screen space with barely moving and always be so far away from you was really fun. There was something really satisfying with her Persona mix-ups, between the grab, another hit or an air unblockable. She was basically a Laura but she was doing all of that from a full screen away. And somehow, in this game, it was not even cheap haha.
In Ultimax they basically removed those, got rid of her wind loops, and nerfed her damages so that you had to use her move that would put her at low life and in special mode to retrieve those damages back. She was then all about taking stupid huge risks to trigger that mode, and then trying to land her healing super to start things up: found it quite stupid. :/

Xeteh

Yeah, really loved Elizabeth's archetype: having a character being able to control so much of the screen space with barely moving and always be so far away from you was really fun. There was something really satisfying with her Persona mix-ups, between the grab, another hit or an air unblockable. She was basically a Laura but she was doing all of that from a full screen away. And somehow, in this game, it was not even cheap haha.
In Ultimax they basically removed those, got rid of her wind loops, and nerfed her damages so that you had to use her move that would put her at low life and in special mode to retrieve those damages back. She was then all about taking stupid huge risks to trigger that mode, and then trying to land her healing super to start things up: found it quite stupid. :/

Aw, that sucks. She was really rad in P4A, her using different personas for different moves was a lot of fun and (I can't remember the name of the mechanic) the one ability that would grab the opponent and throw them in to her book might have been the most infuriating thing in the game lol

vg260

It's so disappointing, because I really thought they put a lot of effort into the last few Ultra DLC packs (regardless of how crazy the outfits were), and they were respectably priced. It was even great they unexpectedly upped the number of colors to 20. I was expecting good things for SFV DLC. Sigh.

Shito

Aw, that sucks. She was really rad in P4A, her using different personas for different moves was a lot of fun and (I can't remember the name of the mechanic) the one ability that would grab the opponent and throw them in to her book might have been the most infuriating thing in the game lol
Haha, yeah that was her universal reversal. That wouldn't do damage but it would add a status effect to the opponent, depending on her SP meter. Which refilled continuously. And at max SP that would reverse your controls, so you had to invert your guard for her next moves.
This game had so many "broken" things in it, but somehow it all balanced out and never felt too cheap. ^^

Sheroking

Capcpom over the last 13 years has been "smart talented underlings, incompetant greedy leadership"; this is merely continuing that trend.

TBH, I don't really care about overpriced cosmetic shit because I have no compulsion to buy this stuff. What I do like is that I have $20 worth of DLC characters for $0.

If this is the trade off, I'm for it.

KingBroly

Banned

They keep doing it with this game. It's 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Xeteh

Haha, yeah that was her universal reversal. That wouldn't do damage but it would add a status effect to the opponent, depending on her SP meter. Which refilled continuously. And at max SP that would reverse your controls, so you had to invert your guard for her next moves.
This game had so many "broken" things in it, but somehow it all balanced out and never felt too cheap. ^^

Oh wow, I didn't know it depended on her SP. I assumed it was random. I wish the game caught on more in the competitive scene, it was so much fun to watch. It was also insanely eye opening, I thought I had a good idea on how to play Yukiko then I saw some comp players use her and I realized I was garbage.

Man, I want to see Xian do well. FANG is an interesting character and Xian seems like a really awesome guy, I hope he makes it far.

SSReborn

It's so disappointing, because I really thought they put a lot of effort into the last few Ultra DLC packs (regardless of how crazy the outfits were), and they were respectably priced. It was even great they unexpectedly upped the number of colors to 20. I was expecting good things for SFV DLC. Sigh.
I kinda feel like this new trend of letting us unlock things in games or using game currency to unlock things are driving the prices up on just buying the items themselves. They aren't being priced fairly imo for people who just want to buy them instead of grinding away. It is also something I noticed in UC4 MP that has a similar system to what capcom was originally going for with sfv.

xabi

I think some information about new modes and daily challenges would have gone a long way toward making the DLC announcement easier to swallow.

I am not saying they have anything up their sleeves, but if I had some big announcement to make, I would not do it during a panel that wasn't streamed/broadcast. I would definitely do it during SFV finals, when everyone is watching the stream and the event is live on ESPN2.

Zackat

I kinda feel like this new trend of letting us unlock things in games or using game currency to unlock things are driving the prices up on just buying the items themselves. They aren't being priced fairly imo for people who just want to buy them instead of grinding away. It is also something I noticed in UC4 MP that has a similar system to what capcom was originally going for with sfv.

games should probably cost more than $60 at retail and this is likely how they can make a return on investment.

vg260

I think that is indeed what's happening here, like those who typically buy costume sets are funding the free characters for everyone. (assuming they buy them). No to mention you have to use real money on them.

Personally, I hope they continue to get backlash on pricing so costume DLC fails to meet their estimates badly, and they're forced to adjust. The difference between SFV's pricing and other fighters is just too dramatic.

games should probably cost more than $60 at retail and this is likely how they can make a return on investment.

Sure, but do they really need to go such extremes with pricing? Seems like a lot of regular DLC buyers are put off by it, and will be spending less overall as a result.

KingBroly

Banned

SF5 still isn't worth $60 with what they've provided on Day 1 and for free.

And I agree that free characters and stages is causing the higher priced DLC. I'd rather they do away with FM since it's basically shat on every mode in the game in the process. Might not be a popular thought, but when you can lose so much for a small issue, it's a major problem.

I'm finally starting to use parry to deal with jump ins, mainly cross ups. I know it can be very risky and get me blown the fuck up for it. But like the tatsu gimmick, it's actually a really effective tool when used sparingly in the right situation. I've gotten a bunch of punishes off this because I either counter hit them or they weren't blocking because the parry caught them off guard.

Like I said, can't be doing this too often. But it's good to show this to my opponent to mess with their head. Another cool thing is that this can lead into the tatsu gimmick if my opponent is tech'ing after these parries. Can't wait to land one of those into Super. I just did anti air jab, cross under, LK tatsu > Super a few days ago so I can scratch that one off my list. So the parry a jump in > LK tatsu Super is next if it happens lol.

Scotia

Banned
I really hope there's more nostalgic costumes. I feel Capcom could gain a lot by providing classic costumes for any redesigned characters in the game and in the future.

Pompadour

SF5 still isn't worth $60 with what they've provided on Day 1 and for free.

And I agree that free characters and stages is causing the higher priced DLC. I'd rather they do away with FM since it's basically shat on every mode in the game in the process. Might not be a popular thought, but when you can lose so much for a small issue, it's a major problem.

I really don't want to go back to paid updates again. I'm still somewhat bitter I bought Revelator for $60 and digitally (for the great demo) because I can't sell it back and in 1.5 years everyone will have moved on. And all the singleplayer stuff does nothing for me, really, and I only played enough of it to trophy hunt.

I wholly prefer the a la carte style of DLC this game is offering. If people want their games to be like buffets, wait for the inevitable DLC packed physical rerelease. It's a bummer the CPT DLC won't be packed in later but 4 months is long enough to make a decision.

MrCarter

Just caught up with the SFV DLC news and well: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You're right about upper management making these silly decisions on pricing but since this is designed to support the CPT I understand why it's priced in this manner. Those that do want to support the tourney scene can buy it and those that don't can choose not to so I don't see the issue.

Xeteh

Because I still kinda give a shit. I'd like for the game to turn around, despite so much evidence to the contrary.

Do you though? This game has given people a ton of reasons to give it shit... hell, go back to June/July and you can see me being pretty pissed about how they handled things but holy shit you basically try to find new reasons to be mad about the game.

They were really explicit about what the original game included, if you didn't think it was worth $60 why the fuck did you buy it?

Pompadour

I'm glad Tripon asked my stage transition question but it just occurred to me that we could have asked about the beta test 1 reward they promised. I'm 90% sure their response would have been "what? We said that?"

Mizerman

I really hope there's more nostalgic costumes. I feel Capcom could gain a lot by providing classic costumes for any redesigned characters in the game and in the future.

I have a feeling that's gonna happen.

Rather this than to go back and pay for updates. That's one of the reasons why I gave up on SF4.

KingBroly

Banned
Do you though? This game has given people a ton of reasons to give it shit... hell, go back to June/July and you can see me being pretty pissed about how they handled things but holy shit you basically try to find new reasons to be mad about the game.

They were really explicit about what the original game included, if you didn't think it was worth $60 why the fuck did you buy it?

They can't even get shit they promised out the door. A lot of the stuff that's out is still broken will no fix in sight. How do you not get pissed at something like that? How do you not get pissed at basic functionality that's been in every fighting game ever? How do you not get pissed at Capcom prioritizing paid content over fixing their damn game?

I bought the game expecting a working product that I can play and enjoy. They haven't provided that.

MrCarter

Because I still kinda give a shit. I'd like for the game to turn around, despite so much evidence to the contrary.

Really? I beg to differ. You have so much contempt, vitriol and ignorance towards the game that you wouldn't even see if the game has or will improve in the future.

Zackat

Sure, but do they really need to go such extremes with pricing? Seems like a lot of regular DLC buyers are put off by it, and will be spending less overall as a result.

I imagine they have a pretty good idea on how much they can sell skins for now and what the appropriate price is. They probably have a lot of data since the store dropped. People will buy these skins in droves, same with the stage you saw. They did a great job making the skins.

I have said this before, but whatever. I don't plan on buying every skin in this game. If I like the costume that they made for my main or characters I play a lot and I feel it is worth it I will buy it. 4-6 dollars is nothing for a hobby/game I spend hours a week on. I will play this game for thousands of hours over it's lifespan and I will get a lot of enjoyment from that 4-6 dollar costume. I just can't put myself into the mindset to get up in arms about the pricing of all this because I don't intend to buy it all. Like a $20 bundle of costumes and I will use 2 of them regularly, who is getting taken advantage of then?

The stage is overpriced, but it is a really cool stage that changes over the year. If you don't care about the CPT then it probably means nothing about the changes. If they charge a lot of money for colors then they are out of their fucking minds.

Pompadour

They can't even get shit they promised out the door. A lot of the stuff that's out is still broken will no fix in sight. How do you not get pissed at something like that? How do you not get pissed at basic functionality that's been in every fighting game ever? How do you not get pissed at Capcom prioritizing paid content over fixing their damn game?

I bought the game expecting a working product that I can play and enjoy. They haven't provided that.

The same people who make 3D models don't also build singleplayer content or work on the networking. Teaching them how to do completely different jobs wouldn't help get these features done faster.

At this point I don't see what they failed to deliver that they promised. All the big updates are out and the only thing on the timeline with a date are Urien and Juri. We can expect Targets and Extra Battle out this year but that's it.

And you may suggest holding off on paid DLC for some noble reason but know that until the 7/1 update lots of people were complaining they couldn't get the premium costumes.

vg260

I would bet this CPT DLC and the costume stuff has been in the pipeline, and they could have been sitting on it for a while. They could still have a backlog of originally planned stuff and not far enough along in progress on the new fixes and modes that are needed. Also, people doing cosmetic stuff are not necessarily those programming modes and fixes. I don't disagree about the game's issues, but a lot of times when cosmetic stuff for games with issues get announced, people ask why they are working on DLC instead, when it's not necessarily one or the other and they can't announce other fixes until they're ready.

Top Bottom